View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Remember you can make a lot of money if you simply play the stock. I often sell my position entirely during the morning spike and then buy again when it corrects. RIM stock has been pretty wild with easy 5-8% variances during the day. Even though I'm playing with only 10K shares, I've made a lot more coin than if I had simply left the stock there to grow.
    12-15-12 08:12 PM
    Please enlighten us on that "something" that told you this? It would be interesting if you could cite your sources.
    RickRoller & bungaboy. Please keep personal out of here (polite & smile request, "all in one" to avoid flood).
    Sunday point :
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-16-12 07:08 AM
    Remember you can make a lot of money if you simply play the stock. I often sell my position entirely during the morning spike and then buy again when it corrects. RIM stock has been pretty wild with easy 5-8% variances during the day. Even though I'm playing with only 10K shares, I've made a lot more coin than if I had simply left the stock there to grow.
    Only 10K shares? Lol. While your advice may be sound.. Most people playing around with hundreds of shares probably wouldn't be worth their while constantly buying and selling (and thus incurring fees) for 5% swings..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    12-16-12 09:36 AM
    Sorry didn't mean to come off as bragging or anything. My point was that I started with just a few thousand shares that I bought at 6.8 or so. After every swing I'd reinvest the profit into more shares so that not only the value grows, but the position size too.

Only 10K shares? Lol. While your advice may be sound.. Most people playing around with hundreds of shares probably wouldn't be worth their while constantly buying and selling (and thus incurring fees) for 5% swings..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-16-12 09:43 AM
    o
    What tools if any do you use to trade RIMM?
    Last edited by mrfreetruth; 12-16-12 at 10:58 AM.
    12-16-12 10:43 AM
    removal from NAZ100 explains alot of buying recent
    the etf's and future contracts that hold rimm short as part of their qqq shorts or bear funds will now have to liquidate their shorts.... i think there will be a huge rally on rimm next week, its going to be amazing.
    MrBurns2U likes this.
    12-16-12 10:58 AM
    I trade online via Web Banking. I have several trading accounts with TD (Personal and Business trading) and RBC (TFSA and Personal). I like TD because of the amount of information available on their site, great when doing due diligence on new stocks. I use StockWatch for my realtime feeds and SEDAR alerts. I do all trading by hand.

I'm also very active on StockTwits as it's a great feed of latest info. Also follow CNN Money, BNN, Reuters and even CNBC for hints on market direction.

I'm not a full time trader, actually a software developer. But being self employed allows me to keep a good eye on the market at all times.

o
    What tools if any do you use to trade RIMM?
    bungaboy and Corbu like this.
    12-16-12 11:36 AM
    The calm after the storm ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    12-17-12 04:01 AM
    $13.86* -0.18 -1.28% Data as of 12/17/2012 07:37
    12-17-12 06:43 AM
    Another negative story from the Globe & Mail. This guy Marlow just can't find anything good in RIM.

As RIM prepares for earnings, low expectations are in its favour

IAIN MARLOW

The Globe and Mail
    Published Sunday, Dec. 16 2012, 7:00 PM EST
    Last updated Monday, Dec. 17 2012, 6:23 AM EST

Research In Motion Ltd. has had an incredible run over the past couple of months, its shares doubling on hype surrounding its upcoming BlackBerry 10 phones after reaching brutal lows in September.
    Numerous analysts upgrades have boosted RIM’s withered stock from around $6 to about $13. Though still a long way from highs near $150 a few years ago, the company’s shares has benefited from a surge of momentum and positive publicity since the Waterloo, Ont.-based company’s executives started showing off the sleek, touchscreen BlackBerry before its global launch party on Jan. 30, 2013.
    But this week RIM will not be unveiling a shiny, new gadget: The company will be reporting its fiscal third-quarter numbers – and it’s not going to be pretty.
    After markets close on Dec. 20, investors and RIM boosters will be reminded that the company is still in serious trouble: Market share continues to collapse in key markets and its rivals, from Apple Inc. to Samsung Electronics Co., are going to keep pushing out devices that have made people abandon their BlackBerrys in droves over the past few years – driving the former industry leader’s share of the U.S. smarpthone market to less than 2 per cent, according to one report.
    The one thing working in RIM’s favour right now is low expectations: After years of big profits, shares reacted positively when it reported its second quarter back in September, after posting a narrower loss than expected. The smartphone maker stopped issuing guidance as its competitive position worsened, but analysts expect much of the same: Lower sales, lower revenues, lower profit and lower margins.
    “I would be shocked if the numbers were higher,” says Richard Tse, an analyst with Cormark Securities Inc. who has a “buy” rating on RIM. “I don’t think (this) is going to be rosy. If it turns out to be, the stock will rip.”
    Analysts will be looking at two key numbers when RIM reports on Thursday.
    The first will be RIM’s cash pile: if it has continued to grow, if it has held steady, or if it has begun to burn as fundamentals deteriorate further. The last time RIM reported, it had about $2.3-billion, and Mr. Tse says the firm will need about $2-billion to continue operations as it stickhandles a global product launch in early 2013.
    The second is RIM’s subscriber count, which used to grow by millions each time RIM reported, but has slowed dramatically over the past few quarters. In the last quarter, RIM surprised analysts by not losing any subscribers and pushing the total number slightly above 80 million, but there are similar fears for this quarter – that RIM’s user base will start shrinking as sales dry up ahead of a new device launch.
    “I think investors should keep [third-quarter] expectations in check,” says Tom Astle of Byrom Capital Market. “The company is in a tough situation.”
    There will also be interest in whether RIM’s high-margin service revenue, which the company receives from carriers, has continued to decline. This lucrative source of revenue, which some observers estimate to be as high as 95 per cent margin since it comes from RIM’s existing network infrastructure, has been dwindling as RIM lost its “must-have” status with carriers and the consequent ability to exert pressure in negotiations.
    Regardless of the weakening fundamentals, analysts are prepared for the grim news, and many are recommending RIM shares ahead of the BlackBerry 10 launch – particularly because some of the 80-million existing users will want to upgrade. It’s unclear, however, how many analysts are contemplating RIM as a long term play, given the slim chances that BlackBerrys will win back share from the industry’s giants.
    12-17-12 06:53 AM
    $13.86* -0.18 -1.28% Data as of 12/17/2012 07:37
    ($13.90 now) yep, some profit taking, I believe. Seems normal. I meant there was no rush or high volume.
    [like a rain dance ] Give me $15 today !
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-17-12 06:59 AM
    Give me $13 today, $15 friday
    12-17-12 07:45 AM
    Give me $13 today, $15 friday
    wana get some extras ? lol. OK, I agree with that. I'm too small to play in/out so doesn't matter 2 me
    BThunderW likes this.
    12-17-12 09:35 AM
    Yeah, sitting on some cash from last week, I sold a few other stocks (Mining, been taking a beating). Looking for an entry point today. It'll by my last purchase of the stock for a while. Rest will be swing trades.

wana get some extras ? lol. OK, I agree with that. I'm too small to play in/out so doesn't matter 2 me
    12-17-12 09:37 AM
    I'd love to sell high, buy low. But I am afraid that these swings are unpredictable. So, I am just sitting on my original purchase when shares were trading at $7.70. If I had done what BThunderW is doing (day-traded at peak, bought at valley every day), I'd have a lot many more shares now but I am just sitting tight.
    12-17-12 10:01 AM
    It's a little predictable. For example today is a profit taking day. Looking at the charts, there's a major selloff going on. There's a lot of resistance but you'll see a decent drop today and probably rest of the week as people are locking in their profit before ER. If you KNOW that in long term the stock will recover, you simply look for where you're comfortable to enter/exit and play it. I've made bad calls few times where the stock didn't reverse trend as I expected, I lost a "potential" amount of money because I bought back into the stock higher than originally sold it for. But in the end the stock still soared.

Lastly, don't "play" the stock if you can't afford to lose some money. Treat RIM as a long term investment, don't sweat the daily/weekly price swings.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-17-12 10:22 AM
    Lastly, don't "play" the stock if you can't afford to lose some money. Treat RIM as a long term investment, don't sweat the daily/weekly price swings.
    +1 I'll add :moreover if you only hold a few 100s of shares, as the transaction fees (and change, in my concern) will kill your profitability.
    12-17-12 10:30 AM
    Whether you treat RIM as a long- or short-term investment is secondary to treating it as speculative (aka MAD MONEY.). A stock with this level of volatility should be considered as having the potential of going to any price including zero -- especially during earnings announcements or shareholder meetings.

If subscriber numbers have decreased, expect signifiiant volatility against you, no matter which direction you are positioned.
    12-17-12 10:49 AM
    Talking out of your A**. Get lost Troll. I've seen your post history.

Whether you treat RIM as a long- or short-term investment is secondary to treating it as speculative (aka MAD MONEY.). A stock with this level of volatility should be considered as having the potential of going to any price including zero -- especially during earnings announcements or shareholder meetings.

If subscriber numbers have decreased, expect signifiiant volatility against you, no matter which direction you are positioned.
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-17-12 10:52 AM
    and ??? oh, I get it. You missed your copy/paste and lost the "and 40" after your "[...] going to any price including zero".
    Add to this I do not believe current perfs - provided they are bad - will really impact the stock; investors are looking for BB10.
    At the opposite, if they are good ...
    Only point that could beat the stock : cash evaporation. Rumors state it isn't.
    BThunderW and bungaboy like this.
    12-17-12 10:58 AM
    Approaching my entry point. Big support line at 13.50 (TSX). Interesting to see if it'll plow through.
    12-17-12 11:02 AM
    and ??? oh, I get it. You missed your copy/paste and lost the "and 40" after your "[...] going to any price including zero".
    Add to this I do not believe current perfs - provided they are bad - will really impact the stock; investors are looking for BB10.
    At the opposite, if they are good ...
    Only point that could beat the stock : cash evaporation. Rumors state it isn't.
    Superfly, I am going to be nice to you. My reply to BlueThunderW which will follow is not going to be nice. If earnings disappoint, or subscribers disappoint there is a significant chance the volatility of the stock will increase materially. This is likely to result in a stock that goes up and down (in either order) to a degree whereby some investors will panic. So you are long and the stock goes up, you will hold, but then when it goes down you will panic and lose money. If the stock goes down you will panic and then if it goes back up later you will be out of the market. If you are short, the exact opposite applies. RIM has lost 90% of it's share value and has recently nearly doubled in price and you are suggesting that this is not speculative? How do you define speculative then?

The title of this thread is "I support RIM and I buy shares", not "I'm an experienced day-trader and so are we all." If everyone who supported RIM ended up buying shares at $100, $90, $80, $70, $60, $50, and so on, they'd all be broke. RIM is due to have an announcement shortly, are you going to indemnify people if it moves down to $10 and everyone panics and then it recovers to its current price? There are techies here who think that RIM is perfect and can do no wrong and will buy RIM based purely on what people here are saying. This thread is out of control.
    12-17-12 11:09 AM
    Unfortunately, you need 10,000 shares for it to cover the commission. Maybe after I pay off my school loans.
    12-17-12 11:11 AM
    Talking out of your A**. Get lost Troll. I've seen your post history.
    How about this for trolling: You are dispensing advice publicly regarding a stock and you are not licensed to do so and I have half a mind to report you to IIROC for investigation and I will remind the moderators here at CrackBerry that this is not an investment forum, there is no expectation of any level of investing competence here, no one knows who anyone here is or what their motivations are and CrackBerry is facilitating it and they should close the thread immediately. Most of the people reading this forum are noobs and if you tell them they should buy RIM because it's hot then they will find a way to lose money doing it. The current volatility of RIM is significantly above the Canadian average and it is also high within the technology sector. I know of no other way of discerning how speculative a stock is other than with that measure. Not only that, we approaching an ER shortly, which not everyone here is aware of. They don't know what could happen if RIM loses, say 5M subscribers or ships 2M less units than expected.

I encourage everyone to check my post history. I am blatantly honest and quite frankly my posts get plenty of likes. So eat it.
    BThunderW likes this.
    12-17-12 11:16 AM
    Sorry bk1022 but you look like a troll to me.
    12-17-12 11:22 AM
113,256 ... 4748495051 ...