View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I will congratulate them as soon as shareholders get finally rewarded after four years

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-18-17 10:27 AM
    When I'm not watching Amber, I like watching her! Thanks for that. John is a respected guy in the business so I'll defer to him as to whether BlackBerry and John Chen have done a great job during their reinvention phase. My take is that their cash alone has kept me in the trade, it takes time to chase after other sectors like QNX, RADAR etc., but that cash always leaves a door open to new ventures and I like that.

The technicals are surprising good for BBRY:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-sept-18-2017.png

The challenge is really simple here, get above the 50-dma and stay there! It's at $ 9.33/shr today and you can see us leaning against that number all day. The DOW, NAS and others are all rocking it but BB needs to tell us something promising next week. I can't believe we slipped into the quiet period without any news for months. Crazy.

PS. Congrats on HALO and I can't give out "likes" for some reason so if they stick it's just luck wth CB10.
    09-18-17 11:19 AM
    https://industrycanada.co/2503A-ITB1001
    IC 2503A-ITB1001 by BlackBerry Limited for Asset Tracker

• Manufactured By: BlackBerry Limited
    • Equipment Description: Asset Tracker
    • Equipment Class: Cellular Mobile GSM (824-849 MHz) PCS Mobile (1850-1910 MHz)

• Hardware Version Number: ITB100-1
    • Product Model Number: Radar Lite
    • Hardware Model Number: --
    • Firmware Version Number: 1.4.0.1591

Certified On: 2017-09-12
    rarsen likes this.
    09-18-17 12:11 PM
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dan...car-1505700481
    The Dangers of the Hackable Car

As cars go increasingly digital—and connected—cybersecurity experts worry that they also are becoming a lot more vulnerable

Oh! Is that so?
    rarsen likes this.
    09-18-17 01:01 PM
    I think the focus on cybersecurity in the auto industry is good but no one is talking about the industry out there for intentionally modifying a vehicle. You can get hop up chips for just about any brand of car ECU. What will that group come up with next? Lots of people where prepared to root their phone...will they do the same for their car to get some feature unlocked? This may be a significant angle for QNX to pursue. After all the car manufacturers would rather you paid them for those options not some third party.
    Which phone was it that couldn’t be rooted?

Posted via CB10
    anon(9100201) and rarsen like this.
    09-18-17 01:38 PM
    I think the focus on cybersecurity in the auto industry is good but no one is talking about the industry out there for intentionally modifying a vehicle. You can get hop up chips for just about any brand of car ECU. What will that group come up with next? Lots of people where prepared to root their phone...will they do the same for their car to get some feature unlocked? This may be a significant angle for QNX to pursue. After all the car manufacturers would rather you paid them for those options not some third party.

Posted via CB10
    Can't say I'm a fan of this option as I am one of those who have a modified ecu on my car haha

Yes, it would be good for QNX/Blackberry if they can get automakers to pay them to lock down their software but.....the auto hobbyist in me would not like this very much haha
    09-18-17 09:03 PM
    Hi Morgan,

Not sure if already asked, but couldn't BlackBerry decide to purchase 300,000 call option contracts and ask for delivery of the shares?

Posted via CB10
    09-19-17 12:24 PM
    Hi Morgan,

Not sure if already asked, but couldn't BlackBerry decide to purchase 300,000 call option contracts and ask for delivery of the shares?

Posted via CB10
    The guidelines are clear, they must use TD Bank to purchase common shares on the TSX, the amounts and composition are defined in the agreement. I do believe they can retire those bonds if and when someone wants to give them up though. I see that TD Bank did another series of crosses from their other accounts today, over 120,000 shares, perhaps they are ramping up purchases finally?

At issue is why they aren't excited to retire common shares at these prices, that's hard to get my head around. The stock attempted many times to take out the 50-dma but failed and retraced some of its gains for another day. We need some positive news to blow this thing up again! GL
    rarsen likes this.
    09-19-17 12:53 PM
    The guidelines are clear, they must use TD Bank to purchase common shares on the TSX, the amounts and composition are defined in the agreement. I do believe they can retire those bonds if and when someone wants to give them up though. I see that TD Bank did another series of crosses from their other accounts today, over 120,000 shares, perhaps they are ramping up purchases finally?

At issue is why they aren't excited to retire common shares at these prices, that's hard to get my head around. The stock attempted many times to take out the 50-dma but failed and retraced some of its gains for another day. We need some positive news to blow this thing up again! GL
    A few parts from their press release:

"BlackBerry has entered into an automatic repurchase plan dated as of June 22, 2017 with TD Securities Inc. to allow for the repurchase of common shares at times when BlackBerry ordinarily would not be active in the market due to its own internal trading blackout periods, insider trading rules or otherwise.

The share repurchase program will be effected in accordance with Rule 10b-18 under the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the TSX's normal course issuer bid rules, which contain restrictions on the number of shares that may be purchased on a single day, subject to certain exceptions for block purchases, based on the average daily trading volumes of BlackBerry's shares on the applicable exchange. In addition, subject to TSX approval, BlackBerry may enter into forward purchase or swap contracts in connection with common shares which may be settled by physical settlement, cash settlement or a combination thereof. The forward price will be based on market price, dividend yield and market interest rates."

http://m.nasdaq.com/press-release/bl...20170623-00179

Posted via CB10
    09-19-17 01:00 PM
    A few parts from their press release:

"BlackBerry has entered into an automatic repurchase plan dated as of June 22, 2017 with TD Securities Inc. to allow for the repurchase of common shares at times when BlackBerry ordinarily would not be active in the market due to its own internal trading blackout periods, insider trading rules or otherwise.

The share repurchase program will be effected in accordance with Rule 10b-18 under the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the TSX's normal course issuer bid rules, which contain restrictions on the number of shares that may be purchased on a single day, subject to certain exceptions for block purchases, based on the average daily trading volumes of BlackBerry's shares on the applicable exchange. In addition, subject to TSX approval, BlackBerry may enter into forward purchase or swap contracts in connection with common shares which may be settled by physical settlement, cash settlement or a combination thereof. The forward price will be based on market price, dividend yield and market interest rates."

BlackBerry Announces Common Share Purchase Program - NASDAQ.com

Posted via CB10
    What you have posted is a standard agreement that every public company is bound to with the TSX. When they talk about instruments of various kinds, they are referring to the financial instruments that the company itself produces/issues to award employees/debt/stock options etc.. This is not an agreement to make purchases in the open market for Call Options themselves, the kind that you and I can trade. If you think about it, why on earth would you pay a premium for a call option when you have the cash to retire the stock/debt? I haven't seen a case where a company wastes their money on a premium of any sort. They purchased their own bonds and retired them but in that case, they had to pay the premium (price/interest) to complete the deal. There is no history of BlackBerry entering the market to buy anything other than common stock and issued debt..
    rarsen and alludba like this.
    09-19-17 01:24 PM
    What you have posted is a standard agreement that every public company is bound to with the TSX. When they talk about instruments of various kinds, they are referring to the financial instruments that the company itself produces/issues to award employees/debt/stock options etc.. This is not an agreement to make purchases in the open market for Call Options themselves, the kind that you and I can trade. If you think about it, why on earth would you pay a premium for a call option when you have the cash to retire the stock/debt? I haven't seen a case where a company wastes their money on a premium of any sort. They purchased their own bonds and retired them but in that case, they had to pay the premium (price/interest) to complete the deal. There is no history of BlackBerry entering the market to buy anything other than common stock and issued debt..
    I know that I'm looking for something that is not there... :-) that said, I might be in favour of BlackBerry paying a (small) premium if that meant that someone short 30 million shares of BBRY would have to settle those shares. Ignore that...

Posted via CB10
    09-19-17 01:37 PM
    Thanks for bringing up the question, dimi. And thanks for the answer, Morgan.
    _dimi_ and rarsen like this.
    09-19-17 01:50 PM
    I know that I'm looking for something that is not there... :-) that said, I might be in favour of BlackBerry paying a (small) premium if that meant that someone short 30 million shares of BBRY would have to settle those shares. Ignore that...

Posted via CB10
    I understand where you are coming from there! For instance, John Chen exercises stock options each year to balance out his compensation. I believe it was in the order of 1.15 MM shares last year so the guy isn't starving. The company wants to take up those stock options so they don't go to market. They intercept the transaction and pay him directly. That is what is going on with a standard agreement. Now, what stops my fav broker, CIBC, who had been very active, from accumulating stock in BB and then transferring that block to TD? I don't think there is a problem with that in the agreement.

I do believe there are some ways to get around the agreement itself but I'm no OSC lawyer and they know. The problem with options is that premium, if you want 10 calls, no big deal, but 300,000 over months even, now that's more than all of the open interest together at various price levels. The premium would be huge in that event. I think they would be wise to stick to the program of growing the business! There is nothing a short hates more than a huge raise in the price of the stock knowing they have to compete with everyone else in the world for a limited number of shares. Shorts got a pass from Chen the last Q, let's hope that while the numbers are passive this Q, the guidance is awesome.

My problem with this whole thing is that if you asked me to create a return on $ 2.6 B bucks, I would deliver a heck of a return on that money given this might go down in history as the strongest and most stable rally in stock market history. If Chen had held the news of a weak first half to himself, or, delivered decent numbers without the big revenue lapse surprise, BBRY would have crossed $ 15.00/shr many weeks ago.

Let's see what they have next week, I'm not expecting much for that Q but guidance had better make sense this time around. If you predict 13 - 15 % annual growth in SW, and you have little in the first half, well you know what we are expecting this time around, say 18 - 22% for the balance of the year works for me.

Cheers Corbu, at least you know we are still around here! Ha! GL
    _dimi_, rarsen and alludba like this.
    09-19-17 02:31 PM
    For sure, man... I am always around... ;-)

Thanks for the input, Morgan. I learn something every time you post.

PS: Can't give any more thanks/likes/whatever, though...
    _dimi_ and rarsen like this.
    09-19-17 02:36 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Where "intentionally modifying a vehicle" includes independent repair shops, aftermarket equipment replacement, etc. The 'connected car' may prove far more profitable to auto makers as they take over segments of the auto-related industry they didn't already control. It'll cost us consumers more than we know.
    09-19-17 02:41 PM
    Blackberry just signed a reseller agreement with Fleet Complete for the Radar tracking platform. It is a fleet management company with 8000 customers. Hopefully it has a big salesforce to bring Radar to the next level. Keep the partnerships coming, only way to compete with the big companies.
    09-19-17 02:52 PM
    Thank you, Morgan and Corbu...!

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    09-19-17 02:56 PM
    Reading material for those who enjoy good things.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2017/09/...tforms-report/
    rarsen likes this.
    09-19-17 05:11 PM
    For sure, man... I am always around... ;-)

Thanks for the input, Morgan. I learn something every time you post.

PS: Can't give any more thanks/likes/whatever, though...
    Lol! I actually thought Morgan's cpu needed to be updated, like ours, but he surprises me everytime! Thanks mates for everything! Like they say, you learn something everyday.

I would rather see BlackBerry invest in the future and not worry about share price. My two Canadian cents worth .
    09-19-17 06:37 PM
    BlackBerry hopes to sell more truck tracking tech via new partnership with Fleet Complete | Financial Post

September 20, 2017
    4:00 AM EDT

BlackBerry Ltd. has partnered with a Toronto-based fleet and asset management company in a bid to expose its own asset tracking service to more customers

BlackBerry Ltd. has partnered with a Toronto-based fleet and asset management company in a bid to expose its own asset tracking service to more customers.

The Waterloo, Ont.-based smartphone-turned-software company announced on Wednesday a reselling partnership with Fleet Complete, which serves 250,000 subscribers and 10,000 businesses around the world.

Fleet Complete will sell BlackBerry Radar technology alongside its existing services in a package executives described as “unbeatable” in a joint call with media Tuesday.

While BlackBerry would not reveal financials surrounding the partnership, it expects it will help get Radar to market faster.

“What we anticipate here with this partnership is the more rapid expansion of opportunity for us to get to customers that we may not have otherwise been able to get to as quickly,” said Philip Poulidis, BlackBerry’s senior vice president and general manager of Radar.

BlackBerry Radar helps track data such as load status, temperature, humidity and whether a trailer door is open or closed, information that can help companies improve efficiency.

Only about 12 per cent of trailers, chassis and flat beds use tracking systems similar to Radar, Poulidis said. “There’s a lot of room there for growth and opportunity.”

BlackBerry does not release financial results specific to Radar, although in the last quarter CEO John Chen asked for patience for results from the relatively new service.

Analysts expect Radar, which charges for equipment and a monthly operating fee, could pull in anywhere from tens to hundreds of millions of dollars by 2020.

BlackBerry reports its next round of quarterly results on Sept. 28.
    09-20-17 07:28 AM
    Great news!

Blackberry joins Delphi to build autonomous vehicle system
    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/bl...160239917.html
    rarsen, dusdal and alludba like this.
    09-20-17 11:08 AM
    Delphi will use BlackBerry QNX for its self-driving platform

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/d...ving-platform/

It should be noted that Delphi has been using QNX for its infotainment systems since 2013

http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_5435_1.html
    Last edited by W Hoa; 09-20-17 at 11:27 AM.
    rarsen, dusdal and alludba like this.
    09-20-17 11:09 AM
    Thanks, guys!
    09-20-17 11:17 AM
    This speaks strength in BBRY's tech.
    "The Blackberry software will work with Delphi algorithms to process information from radar, camera and laser sensors and make decisions on where the cars should go. Blackberry says it has expertise in encryption and other methods of keeping software safe from cyberattacks and other threats. "

I cant wait for Magna to come out as well! Speculative!
    09-20-17 11:18 AM
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/d...ving-platform/

QNX already underpins a number of modern infotainment systems.

You might not think of BlackBerry as anything but a relic of a bygone era of cell phones, but it still provides an operating system for a number of automakers. And now, it'll underpin Delphi's self-driving platform, too.

Delphi and BlackBerry have signed a commercial partnership agreement wherein Delphi will use BlackBerry's QNX operating system for its autonomous driving system. Delphi hopes to launch its Centralized Sensing Localization and Planning (CSLP) system in 2019, which it promises will be a "turnkey" solution for automakers that don't want to spend the time or the money developing these systems.

"BlackBerry QNX will provide a robust software infrastructure for CSLP and help advance Delphi's autonomous driving system," said Glen De Vos, CTO of Delphi, in a statement. "Safety in high performance computing systems is paramount to a production ready autonomous driving solution."

BlackBerry claims that QNX provides a very high level of security, which will be paramount as humans relinquish control of the vehicle to a series of sensors and computers. QNX is already certified by ISO for use in safety and autonomous car systems. A wide variety of automakers, from General Motors to Volkswagen, already use QNX as the backbone of their respective infotainment systems.

In November 2016, Ford announced that BlackBerry was moving to Tier 1 supplier status with the automaker. The assumption is that this decision was made so that Ford and BlackBerry can work closer together on Ford's own autonomous solution, although no further announcements have been made to that end.

BlackBerry is also reportedly working on a sort of "virus scanner" for connected cars. Reports from May claim that the company wants to create a security device that can install patches and warn the driver if a connected car might be compromised.

BlackBerry is angling to be a serious supplier for secure systems as automakers dive deep into autonomous-car development, and all these latest moves are pushing the company in the correct direction.
    09-20-17 11:19 AM
113,256 ... 41394140414141424143 ...