View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    And that is a huge concern. JC was asked about staffing and he said they were on hiring phase. So critical to have the right team out there with such a great product like RADAR and others that BlackBerry has. As success will always arise to copycats trying to step in.

Posted via CB10
    Well, copycats can also be growth factor if you can handle to capture them (read : buy) before they start to harm you, getting some new blood, market segments and approaches at the same time ... But that requires a razor sharp timing sense ...
    06-27-17 06:45 PM
    IDSY sees these companies as competitors in this space
    OmniTRACS
    SkyBitz
    Orbcomm ORBC (too big to swallow)
    Spireon

Wikipedia has a good description of SkyBitz and Orbcomm.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting reading, I'm sure Chen is looking at everything he can purchase. I really want a look at the 5-year financials, so too bad for that. Thanks
    Corbu, alludba, La Emperor and 5 others like this.
    06-27-17 07:23 PM
    Never thing of yourself as a small cog, but a God father of cog!

The only disappointing thing was that the acquisition wasn't along the lines of QNX, instead it was Radar. I guess JC insight is better then mine and I have to respect that.

Cheers mate and all the best!!!!!!!!!
    06-27-17 07:28 PM
    This posted on Yahoo by Raju

remember still there are 3 open lawsuits from BlackBerry.
    1. Blackberry-Nokia : 1.3 billion ? + ongoing royalties
    2. Blackberry-BLU : 700 million ? + ongoing royalties
    3. Blackberry - Avaya : 2.5 billion ? (this might not bring money to blackberry as Avaya is in bad position. )

Hey, I'm not proud. Bring it on!

BTW, after 100K posts, should this site now be considered a cult?

... If SF shows up wearing only an adult diaper, I'm out.
    06-27-17 08:41 PM
    06-27-17 09:08 PM
    I'd love to see us add another potential 2bill in cash from the Blu and Nokia lawsuits. Basically 2x the QCom payments. Avaya is speculative given their current financial situation as stated earlier. Chen would then have more than enough to go shopping and do more share buybacks if so desired.
    06-27-17 09:09 PM
    06-27-17 09:11 PM
    This posted on Yahoo by Raju

remember still there are 3 open lawsuits from BlackBerry.
    1. Blackberry-Nokia : 1.3 billion ? + ongoing royalties
    2. Blackberry-BLU : 700 million ? + ongoing royalties
    3. Blackberry - Avaya : 2.5 billion ? (this might not bring money to blackberry as Avaya is in bad position. )

I haven't verified them but it would be a nice addition to cash.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, would be a nice addition to the cash pile, but question is when will we get a decision regarding these patent law suits?
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-28-17 12:04 AM
    If SF shows up wearing only an adult diaper, I'm out.
    Is that a call ?
    Options are pretty much expensive lol
    06-28-17 02:17 AM
    Not wanting to bore anyone, thus only circulating some articles of potential interest on Security when able to find time:

Ukraine is a test bed for global cyberattacks that will target major infrastructure - TechRepublic
    "Security challenges that initially impact business and government in Ukraine quickly migrate to consumers around the world. Kiev is the frontline of a cyberwar that involves alleged Russian state-sponsored hackers, organized crime, and lone-wolf attackers. The use of ransomware against Ukraine is particularly ironic, says one source with knowledge of Ukrainian lone-wolf attackers, because much of Ukrainians' defense against Russia is funded by ransomware." Brack says GCS organizers chose Ukraine because the country "is considered a test bed for attacks on major infrastructure. Targets over the years include the national power grid, national railway system, one of their major stock exchanges, and Boryspil, Ukraine's busiest airport."
    06-28-17 09:06 AM
    OT:

Morgan , what do you think about SPHS? It has been going up lately.. Thanks!
    sidhuk, morganplus8, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    06-28-17 10:46 AM
    OT:

Morgan , what do you think about SPHS? It has been going up lately.. Thanks!
    Good afternoon!

They got a listing on the Russell Microcap Index a few days ago which allows more Funds to buy the stock. It is a higher profile Index and it has a basket of stock that you can buy so they have much better exposure. The stock was grossly over sold as well of course but this happens with tiny companies. When the big money is ready to buy, they clean it all up immediately. GL
    alludba, Corbu, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    06-28-17 11:37 AM
    Good afternoon!

They got a listing on the Russell Microcap Index a few days ago which allows more Funds to buy the stock. It is a higher profile Index and it has a basket of stock that you can buy so they have much better exposure. The stock was grossly over sold as well of course but this happens with tiny companies. When the big money is ready to buy, they clean it all up immediately. GL
    Thanks for the info!
    06-28-17 11:47 AM
    Feb 16th article on Nokia versus BlackBerry lawsuit ................ I think this one might end up being much larger than the QCOM settlement.

"The smartphone market could be set for another huge legal battle after two of the industry's biggest names get set for a major legal wrangle.

BlackBerry has launched a lawsuit against Nokia alleging that the Finnish manufacturer infringed several of its most valuable patents.

The announcement comes just days before both companies are set to reveal new smartphones, with the Nokia P1 and the BlackBerry Mercury due to be two of the most highly-anticipated launches of 2017 so far.

According to Bloomberg, the suit concerns a range of Nokia products that infringe on as many as 11 BlackBerry patents in total.

Products such as Nokia's Flexi Multiradio base stations, radio network controllers and Liquid Radio software all utilise technology covered by BlackBerry's patents.

The Canadian firm says that Nokia has offered the use of these technologies to major telecoms networks in the USA, including the likes of T-Mobile and AT&T, without obtaining a licence from BlackBerry to do so.

Nokia even included details of some of the BlackBerry patents when applying for its own new inventions, the latter said.

It's not known how much the company is now seeking in terms of licensing royalties, but the complaint says that, “BlackBerry seeks to obtain recompense for Nokia’s unauthorised use of BlackBerry’s patented technology.”
    06-28-17 11:48 AM
    06-28-17 12:33 PM
    Good afternoon!

I hesitate to ask this Morgan, but do you think it'll be more volatile now that it's on the new index?
    06-28-17 04:26 PM
    Good prices for the buybacks to go full steam!!!

Tech valuations coming down could mean the acquisition could be around the corner as well.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-29-17 10:42 AM
    I hesitate to ask this Morgan, but do you think it'll be more volatile now that it's on the new index?
    You really just have a larger audience now. Here is the current list of holdings for the Baker Brothers (they are the royalty of biotech):

Stock Portfolio: - BAKER BROS. ADVISORS LP

They sniff out the next great investment and ride it for as long as there is a great pipeline. If they like your play, they will buy it and support it for years.

Back to the Russell listing, the stock will move on news, news trumps everything but in the meantime, there is posturing going on. Some investors have to sell for various reasons, even when the price is silly low. Then, others simply buy all that they need regardless of price to hold the position now. Then there are buyers like me, I own lots of this one and want more but I don't have to chase it as more shares won't move the needle so to speak. Stocks without a product to sell are risky, you have to be very patient and often look away from it at times. But if you know a little bit about how the whole cycle of the trade works, you know that there are warrants sitting well above today's price, those warrants are how the company receives its cash. Those warrants will be exercised one day. That's one example of how you decide if this one is the right one for you.

I can say that our family made all of our money on this type of investment. We started with Systems Xcellence Inc and grew from there. It took years of being patient and ignoring the price of the stock before things exploded. This company processed PBM prescriptions for healthcare and they were the best at it and eventually ruled the world. They connected all drugs prescriptions to a central database so that you could travel the world and any Doctor could review, renew your prescription. Today that sounds like a no brainer but back then (2004) it was brilliant.

Following the Baker Brothers has been the thing to do during this last bull market in biotech.

Because SPHS have better exposure now, you will see times like this week when someone steps in and buys the stock for no apparent reason. When they stop buying it will drift back but there is always someone out there with fresh eyes looking at it for the first time too.

I see BBRY is below its 50-dma so I stop looking at it and go back to getting some chores done around here. John Chen knocked the stuffing out of a great rally and now we need to forget the ER and wait to hear of some legal settlement or contract to repair that damage. GL
    06-29-17 10:47 AM
    Good prices for the buybacks to go full steam!!!

Tech valuations coming down could mean the acquisition could be around the corner as well.
    I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a share buy back by BB. They have no history of fulfilling their promises and I'm not expecting them to do anything this time either. We are between news events with the last one the ER. That didn't end that well so we'll hand the trade over to the MM's until we receive good news again. Too bad because our rally was one that could have gone on for months.

As for acquisitions, based on some of the references here (DREXcb), it looks like BB has enough money in the bank to purchase almost all of the notable players. Skybitz went out at $ 42 MM at the end of 2012 so how much could they be worth today? It would be exciting to hear that Chen purchased/merged with two or three of them ASAP. Time will tell, we just need some news to get back above that 50-dma.
    alludba, Corbu, W Hoa and 6 others like this.
    06-29-17 10:55 AM
    Has anyone been tracking TD block trades? I think it was TD doing trading on behalf of the buy back program.

Seems like a good time to pick up stock here.

PS - here's to the hope that Chen finds someone to do the talking for him at next ER.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 06-29-17 at 12:15 PM.
    rarsen, morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    06-29-17 12:04 PM
    Has anyone been tracking TD block trades? I think it was TD doing trading on behalf of the buy back program.

Seems like a good time to pick up stock here.

PS - here's to the hope that Chen finds someone to do the talking for him at next ER.

Time ET Ex Symbol Price Change Volume $Value Buyer Seller Markers

10:03:11 T BB 13.10 -0.25 225,000 2,947,500 222 JP Morgan 222 JP Morgan K
    09:42:45 T BB 13.16 -0.19 50,000 658,000 222 JP Morgan 222 JP Morgan K
    09:44:49 T BB 13.09 -0.26 49,800 651,882 222 JP Morgan 222 JP Morgan K
    09:46:54 T BB 13.02 -0.33 50,000 651,000 222 JP Morgan 222 JP Morgan K
    09:30:00 T BB 13.27 -0.08 47,200 626,344 9 BMO Nesbitt 9 BMO Nesbitt KL
    10:33:31 T BB 13.03 -0.32 24,900 324,447 7 TD Sec 1 Anonymous K
    10:33:02 T BB 13.03 -0.32 23,600 307,508 7 TD Sec 1 Anonymous K
    10:18:53 T BB 13.08 -0.27 20,000 261,600 7 TD Sec 7 TD Sec K
    09:45:17 T BB 13.05 -0.30 15,300 199,665 7 TD Sec 7 TD Sec K
    10:33:02 T BB 13.03 -0.32 14,300 186,329 7 TD Sec 1 Anonymous K
    11:25:43 T BB 12.93 -0.42 14,000 181,020 7 TD Sec 7 TD Sec KW
    10:31:39 T BB 13.05 -0.30 11,000 143,550 7 TD Sec 7 TD Sec K
    09:44:10 T BB 13.12 -0.23 10,000 131,200 7 TD Sec 7 TD Sec K
    12:40:11 T BB 13.00 -0.35 10,000 130,000 7 TD Sec 7 TD Sec K
    09:45:12 T BB 13.03 -0.32 9,000 117,270 7 TD Sec 39 Merrill Lynch K
    10:33:31 T BB 13.03 -0.32 8,900 115,967 7 TD Sec 1 Anonymous K

Sorry if they don't line up well. Please note that JP Morgan has been crossing huge blocks of stock in Canada and the US this entire week. There is a lot of data here so I'll post the largest trades so far today.

My estimate is at 200,000/shares so far today for TD Bank broker 007.
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    06-29-17 12:18 PM
    Thanks Morgan.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my portfolio somewhat, and I'm selling of some stocks in a couple of Norwegian companies (I'm Norwegian, but the stock isn't. (Norwegian is an up and coming airline from Norway. (/badPun))) to move the funds over to SPSH. Unfortunately the two stocks I'm selling have been going down recently, but I'm waiting for a small recovery before I pull the trigger.

Buying American stocks is a little risky for me, since the local current (NOK) is about 40% down relative the USD. That said, as long as the oil price doesn't soar, I'm not too worried.

that said, I'm way too busy fixing our Volvo penta V8 to be worried about messing up anything else.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-29-17 03:41 PM
    Enough of this JC bashing! When the stock is green everyone are as happy as pigs in ****. JC has shut the traps of certain people, don't let it be you. This is my BlackBerry and it includes John Chen!

Cheers to the die hards of Blackberry! !!!!!
    06-29-17 07:30 PM
    I'm with you bbjdog. I think Chen is doing a fantastic job of saving/ transforming this company. I've been working for over 30 years and know that business growth is never linear. Time will tell as to how good Chen's strategy and execution is. I am not interested in seeing this company sold for a short term gain. That is not why I invest in this company. As a Waterloo grad and a proud Canadian, I want this company to succeed for the long haul. I want it to continue to invest in R&D and to continue to be an incubator for the next generation Canadian tech start ups. That is what our country needs to stay relevant on the world stage.
    As a long time reader but infrequent poster, I thought it was time to share my thoughts. We have a good thing going here and I believe the best is yet to come. Thank you to you, to Corbu, to Morgan,and to all of the regular posters for your fantastic efforts at sharing information on the company we love to follow. Let's wait to see how the 2nd half of this fiscal year plays out. I believe our CEO has a few surprises (positive) for us. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-17 07:55 PM
    I'm with you bbjdog. I think Chen is doing a fantastic job of saving/ transforming this company. I've been working for over 30 years and know that business growth is never linear. Time will tell as to how good Chen's strategy and execution is. I am not interested in seeing this company sold for a short term gain. That is not why I invest in this company. As a Waterloo grad and a proud Canadian, I want this company to succeed for the long haul. I want it to continue to invest in R&D and to continue to be an incubator for the next generation Canadian tech start ups. That is what our country needs to stay relevant on the world stage.
    As a long time reader but infrequent poster, I thought it was time to share my thoughts. We have a good thing going here and I believe the best is yet to come. Thank you to you, to Corbu, to Morgan,and to all of the regular posters for your fantastic efforts at sharing information on the company we love to follow. Let's wait to see how the 2nd half of this fiscal year plays out. I believe our CEO has a few surprises (positive) for us. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    Well written!!!! Happy Canada day even if it's early. I totally agree and cheers mate.

Edit: I was in St Jacobs Farmer Market this past weekend and it has changed a lot from the last time I was there,
    Really nice!!!!!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 06-29-17 at 08:20 PM.
    Corbu, kadakn01 and Greened like this.
    06-29-17 08:07 PM
113,256 ... 41034104410541064107 ...