View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    05-26-17 06:19 PM
    Hi Kadakn01, I remember not too long ago, you mentioned your HF friends didn't bother to cover their shorts until they see revenue growth. Do you still touch base with them? Would you share their recent thoughts and actions?

Posted via CB10
    They are net covering, but it will take a few quarters for them to completely cover. If the numbers in June show rev growth, I think we see a substantial reduction.
    05-26-17 11:31 PM
    They are net covering, but it will take a few quarters for them to completely cover. If the numbers in June show rev growth, I think we see a substantial reduction.
    Appreciate your reply!

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk and Corbu like this.
    05-26-17 11:56 PM
    Many thanks Corbu! Just curious to know what is their second?
    Corbu likes this.
    05-27-17 06:22 AM
    Yeah, I agree that Google buying BB would make a ton of sense and could set up a compelling story for Google to tell (both in HW, SW, IOT, EMM etc.). That said, I'm not sure the top brass at Google see it that way, or they think they should build everything themselves.

Personally I don't get these types of comments. Flesh out why it won't make sense. After all, Apple bought NEXT back in the day, and if Tim and the top team thinks it makes sense for them to buy BB they'd buy it in a heartbeat.

That said, looking at BB business model and product porfolio, it makes way less sense for Apple to buy them than Google or Microsoft. (Since the former has more or less a 100% vertical business model, while the other have horizontal.)
    I still think that Apples business model is to trick customers and to tie them to their ecosystems.

They have made a ton of money getting their customers to think that no headphone jack is innovative and a good feature.

They also are extremely arrogant, they will buy small start ups all day long and take and use their IP, but to buy the one time giant would tell the apple sheep that one day they will be using BlackBerry technology, would in my opinion cause a lot of rotten apples.

Even their carplay is on top of QNX, that right there is reason enough for them to buy bb, but notice they don't advertise that some other OS actually provides the safe secure venue for carplay to run on. Anyway, all speculation on my part, I just don't ever see it happening.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    05-27-17 07:03 AM
    I still think that Apples business model is to trick customers and to tie them to their ecosystems.

They have made a ton of money getting their customers to think that no headphone jack is innovative and a good feature.

They also are extremely arrogant, they will buy small start ups all day long and take and use their IP, but to buy the one time giant would tell the apple sheep that one day they will be using BlackBerry technology, would in my opinion cause a lot of rotten apples.

Even their carplay is on top of QNX, that right there is reason enough for them to buy bb, but notice they don't advertise that some other OS actually provides the safe secure venue for carplay to run on. Anyway, all speculation on my part, I just don't ever see it happening.
    Sorry about the tone in the post I wrote yesterday. I should've eaten dinner before I posted a response.

I don't disagree with what you wrote in either posts. Culturally it appears that Apple management is reluctant to buy big companies, and perhaps for good reasons. The point I made about business models just meant to highlight that no matter how much money you have in the bank, no company is going to pay up several billions for a company and then kill 60% (aka a lot) of the revenue streams or business that were the reasons that that company was worth 100% in the first place. (Especially if said company would have to pay 140% to get it) (Ehm.. That might be theoretically right, but I guess there are a lot of examples of the opposite happening. Like HP / Palm, Microsoft/Nokia, although both differ from the point I am trying to make. )

The main points were:
    - Tim and Apple's management are probably a very pragmatic bunch.
    - look at the businesses and indentify why the businesses would be a bad fit.

Besides, if they bought BB then whatever made BB better than Apple's tech pre- acquisition, would be Apple's post- acquisition. But yeah...

05-27-17 07:27 AM
    05-27-17 07:30 AM
    Sorry about the tone in the post I wrote yesterday. I should've eaten dinner before I posted a response.

I don't disagree with what you wrote in either posts. Culturally it appears that Apple management is reluctant to buy big companies, and perhaps for good reasons. The point I made about business models just meant to highlight that no matter how much money you have in the bank, no company is going to pay up several billions for a company and then kill 60% (aka a lot) of the revenue streams or business that were the reasons that that company was worth 100% in the first place. (Especially if said company would have to pay 140% to get it) (Ehm.. That might be theoretically right, but I guess there are a lot of examples of the opposite happening. Like HP / Palm, Microsoft/Nokia, although both differ from the point I am trying to make. )

The main points were:
    - Tim and Apple's management are probably a very pragmatic bunch.
    - look at the businesses and indentify why the businesses would be a bad fit.

Besides, if they bought BB then whatever made BB better than Apple's tech pre- acquisition, would be Apple's post- acquisition. But yeah...

No offense taken, I enjoyed your responses and appreciate your opinion and I agree with your points too.

I think this is all good stuff to talk about. We all want the most for our BlackBerry stock and just trying to figure out how to unlock that value.

But after being patiently waiting since 2012, I am sure I can wait a bit longer especially now that things seem to have finally turned the corner.

Have a good weekend or long weekend if you are my neighbour to the south !
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    05-27-17 06:36 PM
    No offense taken, I enjoyed your responses and appreciate your opinion and I agree with your points too.

I think this is all good stuff to talk about. We all want the most for our BlackBerry stock and just trying to figure out how to unlock that value.

But after being patiently waiting since 2012, I am sure I can wait a bit longer especially now that things seem to have finally turned the corner.

Have a good weekend or long weekend if you are my neighbour to the south !
    Good to hear.

I agree that BBRY is at a very interesting place right now. I think JC has a couple of Aces up his sleeves, and when we'll be looking back a couple of years from now he will have done some smart moves that seems totally obvious in hindsight. That's kind of what I'm trying to figure out. I started going through the business to figure out strategic fits or potential synergies with other majors, but then life happened and I had to postpone it.

I live in Norway, so I'm probably to the East of you. (?)
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    05-28-17 02:32 AM
    Good to hear.

I agree that BBRY is at a very interesting place right now. I think JC has a couple of Aces up his sleeves, and when we'll be looking back a couple of years from now he will have done some smart moves that seems totally obvious in hindsight. That's kind of what I'm trying to figure out. I started going through the business to figure out strategic fits or potential synergies with other majors, but then life happened and I had to postpone it.

I live in Norway, so I'm probably to the East of you. (?)
    Oh wow, yeah East would be closet.

Good points on the hindsight, I hope that is the case.

JC has a lot to work with, so hopefully he starts to pull those levers.

And with the extra 940 million, I hope he is looking for more acquisitions too.
    sidhuk, Corbu, morganplus8 and 2 others like this.
    05-28-17 05:15 AM
    For those interested in some Security numbers:

This is how much your share price falls when you get hacked | ZDNet
    "Study found that the value of the 113 companies declined an average of five percent immediately following the disclosure of the breach -- a data point that may help to focus the attention of CEOs and boards that are dragging their heels on IT security investment.
    Centrify's study also suggested a less visible impact of a data breach: 27 percent of consumers who had been victims said they had ended their relationship with the organization concerned. Companies deemed to have a better security posture were less likely to lose customers.
    These findings are in line with another research from security company RSA into consumer attitudes to data breaches. A quarter of those surveyed by RSA said they have become numb/immune to headlines around data breaches and nearly one in ten said that they don't care about data loss. Another third said they had lost trust in companies' ability to look after their data, but continue to use them anyway. Over half said they had no idea how many times companies have lost their data. However, one in four did say they would boycott companies that mishandle data, using more secure alternatives instead."

98% of WannaCry victims were running Windows 7, not XP
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...82522773592535
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-windows7wc.jpg
    Last edited by rarsen; 05-28-17 at 07:19 AM.
    sidhuk, Corbu, morganplus8 and 4 others like this.
    05-28-17 06:56 AM
    Interesting Barron's article on Ford, their new CEO, and where they see the future of the automobile industry. Very much aligns with BlackBerry 's recent moves and if any of this happens, BlackBerry should play a large and important role, not just with Ford, but in the industry as a whole.

http://www.barrons.com/articles/ford...ure-1495858796

Posted via CB10
    05-28-17 10:32 AM
    05-28-17 11:05 AM
    Read w/o creating acct:
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=barrons...0D0541A2B0B986

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    05-28-17 12:12 PM
    screw it, let's make it the $45 party!
    Let's screw the xx$ party and l'est make it the
    "OMG-this-guy-is-tougher-smarter-stronger-than-any-Morgan-even-built-on-earth-Party" (Aka OTGITSSTAMEBOE Party !)
    Because, at the end of the day, THAT would be a zillion times better news than a SP above any price. I mean, any.
    Get well & full force soon M+8 !
    05-29-17 07:10 AM
    Some additional careful positive opinion statements:

The case for BlackBerry at $45 US a share
    "Papageorgiou said the Radar and QNX innovations could contribute $2 billion or more in software revenue in three years, and earnings per share of about $1.80. Based on a price-earning multiple of 25, that translates to a stock price of $45, he says.
    For the more immediate future, Macquarie's take on BlackBerry's stock is decidedly more modest. The firm bumped its 12-month target for the issue from $10.50 US and $14 Cdn to a new goal of $11.80 US and $16.20 Cdn."

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/qu...124112511.html
    "QCOM, the largest mobile chipset manufacturer using baseband technology globally, will settle a licensing dispute with BlackBerry Limited BBRY by paying U.S. $940 million, on or before May 31, 2017.
    Meanwhile, BlackBerry is hitting headlines with a number of patent litigations. In the beginning of this year, it filed a lawsuit against Nokia stating that the latter has violated as many as 11 of its patents in offerings to carriers including AT&T and T-Mobile. Last August, it filed a 105-page patent lawsuit against Avaya, which was followed by another suit accusing Blu Products violating 15 of its patents. Meanwhile, the share price of BlackBerry has returned 61.25%, outshining the Zacks categorized Wireless Non-US industry’s 7.24% gain, over the same time frame."
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2017-zak-numbers.jpg
    05-29-17 09:40 AM
    Earlier today:
    ‘Tapping the brakes’: Raymond James downgrades BlackBerry but raises target price | Financial Post

Raymond James analyst Steven Li downgraded BlackBerry to market perform from outperform given the limited return to target, according to a Monday note to clients.

But Li simultaneously increased the target price to US$11 from US $9.50, reflecting in part a larger-than-expected award from a binding arbitration with Qualcomm. This “significant cash boost” of US $940 million, which will be paid on or before Wednesday, will further improve BlackBerry’s balance sheet, he wrote.

“We believe BlackBerry could redeploy some of that cash into potential M&A to accelerate its strategy,” Li wrote.

Since Li last upgraded the stock in August 2016, its shares are up more than 40 per cent and are now trading in-line with a group of comparable software companies, he noted.

He now sees the path to $1 billion in software revenue a “little clearer,” he wrote, although he added it “still requires strong execution.”

His assumptions on major software components such as the QNX in-car systems are more conservative than that of management’s. While BlackBerry currently claims to have more than half the market share for in-car operating systems, Li predicts it will decline to about 35 per cent given competition from Android.

Still, QNX plays a big role in BlackBerry’s new story as a software company, Li noted.

“Anything that impacts sentiment around QNX could be a potential catalyst,” he wrote.

Investors should also keep an eye on sales of the new BlackBerry KeyOne, which TCL is starting to sell this month (BlackBerry will get royalties per device sold), and trucking software Radar. CEO John Chen has hinted there are large trucking companies testing the software, Li wrote.
    05-29-17 08:58 PM
    Pretty sure RJ must be shorting the stock.

Posted via CB10
    bapebape likes this.
    05-30-17 09:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Haha ! i think so TOO !
    05-30-17 09:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Probably, but that is a very short term play. You'd have to have sand in your head to think this stock will lay down.
    Look for news updates particularly on the Avaya suit. It is ramping to be larger than the Qualcomm suit.

All-in-all, I want to be front row and center when the lighting strikes on these evil chaps.

Tally-ho!
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 05-30-17 at 12:28 PM.
    05-30-17 11:22 AM
    For our friends in France...

KEYone getting some exposure:
    KeyOne : enfin un nouveau Blackberry à clavier physique - ZDNet
    05-30-17 11:32 AM
    05-30-17 11:35 AM
    Apologies if posted already, but I found this to be one of the best articles explaining the patent adventures that our BlackBerry is going on. It includes pictures, for folks with short attention spans like myself:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...u-and-android/

These patent suits should be the biggest news right now, because if BlackBerry is awarded the win, the stock price would rocket with no chance of manipulation, due to hard cash injection.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 05-30-17 at 12:26 PM.
    Corbu, rarsen, sidhuk and 6 others like this.
    05-30-17 12:14 PM
    05-30-17 12:32 PM
    Better version of the KeyOne coming in June 2017? https://phoneradar.com/exclusive-upg...unch-in-india/
    Not quite that big of an upgrade. Just 1GB more of ram with dual Sim.

And only sold in India because of the Optiemus licensing deal.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-17 02:45 PM
113,250 ... 40824083408440854086 ...