View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BlackBerry awarded $815 million in arbitration case against Qualcomm

The argument stems back to April 20, 2016, when BlackBerry argued that was overpaying Qualcomm in royalty payments. BlackBerry and Qualcomm had agreed to figure out whether Qualcomm's "agreement to cap certain royalties applied to payments made by BlackBerry under a license agreement between the two parties."

Turns out BlackBerry was indeed overpaying.
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300438550.html

Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM) announced a binding interim arbitration award requiring Qualcomm to refund a sum of $814.9 million, plus interest and attorneys' fees, to BlackBerry Incorporated related to royalties for certain past sales of subscriber units. The parties had agreed to arbitrate a contract dispute relating to one specific issue: whether Qualcomm's voluntary per unit royalty cap program applied to BlackBerry's non-refundable prepayments of royalties for sales of a specified number of subscriber units from 2010 through the end of 2015.

While Qualcomm does not agree with the decision, it is binding and not appealable. The arbitration decision was limited to prepayment provisions unique to BlackBerry's license agreement with Qualcomm and has no impact on agreements with any other licensee.
    04-12-17 07:10 AM
    Is this finally the catalyst that triggers Short squeeze?.. Hmmm, where's that popcorn....

Posted via CB10
    I don't know. This is good news, but doesn't change the business. Any conviction shorts who are betting on the business failing won't change their thesis based on a one time cash injection, although it does allow for more acquisition opportunity.
    04-12-17 07:11 AM
    Check Qualcomm's PR.. they say they do not agree, but the verdict is binding and not appealable

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    04-12-17 07:13 AM
    I don't know. This is good news, but doesn't change the business. Any conviction shorts who are betting on the business failing won't change their thesis based on a one time cash injection, although it does allow for more acquisition opportunity.
    815 million!!! It pays off the remaining debt, adds another 200 million in cash for acquisitions.. with the details we know as of now, it is going above 10. No dilution any more due to debt, in theory of course.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY, rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    04-12-17 07:14 AM
    815 million!!! It pays off the remaining debt, adds another 200 million in cash for acquisitions.. with the details we know as of now, it is going above 10. No dilution any more due to debt, in theory of course.

Posted via CB10
    I get it. It's fantastic news. I'm just looking at it from all angles.
    Mr BBRY, kadakn01 and La Emperor like this.
    04-12-17 07:16 AM
    I get it. It's fantastic news. I'm just looking at it from all angles.
    Look at it from the angle of someone short BBRY :-D

Posted via CB10
    04-12-17 07:19 AM
    Check Qualcomm's PR.. they say they do not agree, but the verdict is binding and not appealable

Posted via CB10
    Why would they agree? That's an admission they've overcharged, and opens the door further to other suits.
    Mr BBRY and La Emperor like this.
    04-12-17 07:23 AM
    In other news:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas...121135809.html
    China's Ant Financial extends mobile payments empire to Indonesia

Ant Financial, the finance affiliate of Alibaba Group Holding, and Indonesian media company Elang Mahkota Teknologi (Emtek) are to form a joint venture to offer payment and financial services in Indonesia.

The Emtek tie-up is Ant's fifth international payments deal since November, seeking to tap Asia's third-largest country by population as the company continues to extend its mobile finance empire outside China.

The new venture will initially take the form of a payments platform within BlackBerry's messaging service, which has about 63 million users in Indonesia, the two companies said in a joint statement.

"Ant Financial has proven know-how in delivering payment and other financial solutions to a large and growing mobile audience in China ... and we are looking forward to replicating and creating this success in Indonesia," Emtek CEO Alvin Sariaatmadja said in the statement.

Ant's Alipay payment app has 450 million users, the vast majority of which are in China, where it is the country's most popular mobile wallet. The company also has an internet banking licence and offers financial services including insurance products and mutual funds.

Reuters first reported that Ant and Emtek were in talks last month.

Ant has already struck deals with Thai payment company Ascend Money, South Korea's Kakao Pay Corp and Philippines-based fintech business Mynt. It also has plans to close further deals in Asia this year.

The Indonesian venture also comes as Ant faces off against U.S. company Euronet Worldwide to acquire Dallas-based Moneygram International, a remittance business that could play a significant role in linking Ant's other payment assets in Asia.

Emtek, an investor in online marketplace Bukalapak.com and travel portal Reservasi.com, signed a strategic alliance with BlackBerry last June and will help Ant Financial to roll out a range of payment products anchored in the BlackBerry social messaging system (BBM) as well as payment services for unspecified e-commerce platforms in Indonesia.

An Ant Financial spokeswoman declined to comment on a timeline for when services by the new joint venture will be rolled out.
    Last edited by Corbu; 04-12-17 at 07:34 AM.
    04-12-17 07:23 AM
    Look at it from the angle of someone short BBRY :-D

Posted via CB10
    Lol. I know man. Just saying that the business hasn't changed. I have felt they're undervalued and been beaten up for far too long but aside from the balance sheet, this doesn't add new ongoing revenue or monetization of any current assets.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    04-12-17 07:26 AM
    Lol. I know man. Just saying that the business hasn't changed. I have felt they're undervalued and been beaten up for far too long but aside from the balance sheet, this doesn't add new ongoing revenue or monetization of any current assets.
    I think it adds to BlackBerry's overall credibility. Their legal team must be pretty good.. they must know how to grow the IP licensing business going forward? Ongoing litigation against Avaya, BLU.. More cash, more acquisitions, more revenue.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-17 07:30 AM
    Well if this stays up, might be worth transferring BlackBerry shares from Cash account to TSFA and take the 1% over contribution penalty to avoid capital gains. But it needs to stay up

I am under the impression I can transfer shares based on yesterday's close even once the market opens today, so sort of hedge my bet a little

Thoughts?
    04-12-17 07:31 AM
    In other news:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas...121135809.html
    China's Ant Financial extends mobile payments empire to Indonesia
    This is huge!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-17 07:32 AM
    I think it adds to BlackBerry's overall credibility. Their legal team must be pretty good.. they must know how to grow the IP licensing business going forward? More cash, more acquisitions, more revenue.

Posted via CB10
    This wasn't about their IP though. This was about them overpaying royalties to Qualcomm. Remember, I'm not saying this is insignificant.
    04-12-17 07:33 AM
    WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Congrats gang!.... Guess who is still holding those 4/21 calls....
    04-12-17 07:37 AM
    This is US dollars right ? Not Canadian?? If so this will add atleast 1.53 USD/Share (without including any interest) additional cash to BBRY from yesterdays valuation?

So BBRY should open above 9.23 today?
    rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    04-12-17 07:54 AM
    Well, based on the total number of shares(about 500 million), this cash injection means about $1.5 of value per share. Congrats! We all just got a virtual dividend of $1.50!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-17 08:06 AM
    This is US dollars right ? Not Canadian??
    Yup. US.
    rarsen likes this.
    04-12-17 08:13 AM
    This is US dollars right ? Not Canadian?? If so this will add atleast 1.53 USD/Share (without including any interest) additional cash to BBRY from yesterdays valuation?

So BBRY should open above 9.23 today?
    Damn, you beat me to it. lol
    I typed it out but couldn't post cause I was in the subway

Posted via CB10
    fanBBRY and Greened like this.
    04-12-17 08:24 AM
    This is spectacular!!!!
    Greened likes this.
    04-12-17 08:35 AM
    Haahah what a day for BlackBerry, even though I have qcom stocks as well

Posted via CB10
    Greened likes this.
    04-12-17 08:37 AM
    Market makers will be selling fake shares to keep the stock from jumping too fast, while big shorts cover. But with more positive news and pent-up buy demand it should continue to push higher

Posted via CB10
    04-12-17 08:39 AM
    Damn, you beat me to it. lol
    I typed it out but couldn't post cause I was in the subway

Posted via CB10
    Lol I know that feeling. Corbu always gives that to most of us here.
    Greened likes this.
    04-12-17 08:53 AM
    Lol I know that feeling. Corbu always gives that to most of us here.
    rarsen and Greened like this.
    04-12-17 08:58 AM
    whaaaaaatttt haha
    04-12-17 09:00 AM
    Amber Kanwar‏ @amberkanwar

BlackBerry disclosed dispute with Qualcomm in most recent 10K filing. The value of reading these amirght @fhoro? $BBRY $QCOMM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-c9nl-bhwaaa-l3b.jpg
    04-12-17 09:07 AM
113,251 ... 40624063406440654066 ...