View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    From experience, I have learn otherwise. My answers now: "you always look great to me!!!"
    Not my wife...any woman. Though, I'd always give a compliment anyway. My wife always looks great to me.

When it comes to this stock though, if something stinks I say it stinks.
    plasmid_boy likes this.
    05-14-13 02:37 PM
    ...and if she asks if she looks fat in that dress, well...
    What you say - "No"

What you are thinking - "No...you look fat in everything. Cause you're fat".

lcjr and plasmid_boy like this.
    05-14-13 02:39 PM
    For anyone who has used BBM we know it's huge...it will kill whatsapp in no time...BBM is like driving a Porche while Whatsapp is like driving a Ford

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    05-14-13 02:39 PM
    How our country differs from yours! Telling the little lady the dress makes her look fat is not an option here! LOL!
    Nah, I was just being an arsehole. I would never do that. However, with regards to this stock and TH's faux pas, I don't mind calling out a stinker when I see it.
    05-14-13 02:41 PM
    Yes. I'll start buying Sept calls in blocks as we drop. My puts don't expire till June.
    I'm waiting to see what happens Friday.

So you will buy calls if we drop below 50dma today, this week ?
    05-14-13 02:42 PM
    John P at allthings D with a positive article?? What is going on down in Orlando?

BlackBerry’s “New” Strategy: Mobile First

May 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm PT

Share on Facebook

inShare.

Print

BB_engineBlackBerry lost the mobile world it once ruled in a matter of years. Now, under new CEO Thorsten Heins, it hopes to reclaim it in an equally short time. But how? According to Heins’s remarks during his BlackBerry Live keynote this morning, by “building for mobile first.”

As a pioneering mobile device company, one would think that “mobile first” is a redundant call to arms for BlackBerry. And of course it is. But making that remark, Heins was offering a broader point about BlackBerry’s view of the mobile space. As he said later, “We believe in a single element of mobile computing: The one on your hip.”

It’s BlackBerry’s view that the smartphone is not simply a handset, but also a mobile computing engine that can drive the other devices we use during our daily lives — our entertainment systems, the tech in our cars and other connected peripherals. And it’s Heins’s opinion that there will soon be another disruption in mobile computing as the industry more broadly adopts that view.

“Mobile has become fundamental part of our lives, and the next decade will see a major shift in how it impacts our lives,” Heins said. “It will be as monumental as the shift from wired to wireless.”

And BlackBerry is positioning itself to take advantage of it. Said Heins, “We will show the world that BlackBerry understands the mobile world better than anyone else.”

Big talk for a company still struggling to turn itself around. But that’s what these keynote events are all about — victory laps and optimism. And after a few years of floundering, BlackBerry does finally seem to be crystallizing its view of the space in which it competes and how best to succeed in it.

“Drilling down from desktop experiences and trying to fit them in the mobile space just doesn’t work,” Heins said. “People don’t want the desktop experience in a mobile device. Mobile devices need a mobile experience. Putting the desktop paradigm on them doesn’t work. Our only focus is mobile. We are the original mobile-first company.”

So that’s the big pitch. And now that Heins has made it, BlackBerry has to begin the difficult work of delivering on it. A daunting task when Apple and Google continue to so thoroughly dominate the mobile computing space. But BlackBerry has managed to hang on this long after the upheaval of 2012. Who’s to say it won’t scramble back.

“Some people told me last year that BlackBerry World would be the company’s last conference and my first and last time on the stage,” Heins said. “Well, I’m happy to say they were wrong. Not only are we still here, we are firing on all cylinders and we are definitely in the race.”
    05-14-13 02:56 PM
    Hopefully this positive news tomorrow gets us back up in the high 15s, or else I'll have to deal with this damn margin call. I'm not liking people's predictions of it dropping back into the 14s.
    lcjr likes this.
    05-14-13 03:00 PM
    Not a positive article by John P. Now he's saying that Apple and Google are leaders in mobile computing? He's using the term really loosely.
    zyben likes this.
    05-14-13 03:02 PM
    umm, that article is almost over the moon when you consider the source...

Not a positive article by John P. Now he's saying that Apple and Google are leaders in mobile computing? He's using the term really loosely.
    zyben likes this.
    05-14-13 03:12 PM
    I just can't see that many Apple and Android users jumping onto the BBM train. I guess I do not know what I am missing but the few I have talked to do not know what BBM even is. Maybe Blackberry is investing "long" on BBM for other users.
    Think iPhone and Android BYOD in a corporate BES10 setting... BBM (with secure messaging, screen capture, video conf.) would be a solid feature in itself, and perhaps sway more corporations into choosing BES10 in the first place.
    tygros, morganplus8, zyben and 3 others like this.
    05-14-13 03:14 PM
    Not sure about the rest of the guys on this forum, but I am in serious need of some TnA...
    Keep it clean, everyone... Literally - Morgan? How does this shape us up for the rest of the week if the analysts cancel each other out?
    05-14-13 03:15 PM
    Here is another SA from Mike Collins...well done:

BlackBerry Launch A Land Grab In Mobile Messaging

Disclosure: I am long BBRY. Short Analysts (More...)

First of all if you are not familiar with BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), it is simply BlackBerry's (BBRY) proprietary messaging platform. It is hugely popular and considered one of BlackBerry's key USPs that drove users back to BlackBerry. It is so important to the BlackBerry offering that Heins mentioned that they had made decision because they were confident in the success of the BB10 platform. Clearly this difficult decision is a tacit acknowledgment of the success of the BB10 platform as Heins feels he may not need this USP any more to attract users. (see comments here)

The market (Scotia and a few other analyst) had expected the big news today might be that BBM would be rolled out ONLY to BES 10 server users. In essence a slow step introduction in cross platform messaging offered as an incentive to enterprise users. What Happened?

Those Canucks Gave It All Away For Free and to Everyone!

The following are the potential victims here:

WhatsApp
    Paypal Mobile
    I have very little doubt that BBM will quickly and swiftly displace WhatsApp and other irrelevant messaging platforms (Chaton, I-messages etc). However BBM, with voice and video calls, will also compete with Skype as the desktop version cannot be far away. What may appear to some as a free loving giveaway is actually masking an aggressive land grab.

What is given away for free today will bear fruit tomorrow in several different ways:

Paying for Call Termination (Skype)

I expect BBM to landlines (Call termination) will be rolled out last and they will not want to incur carrier wrath quite yet.

Extending Virtual Mobile via BBM Payments (Indonesian trials started)

The larger the network of user BBM-ing money around, the more valuable this becomes.

Twitter Competition via BBM Channels

This one is a long shot. The motive here is that Twitter is a mundane and dated. People prefer to share pictures, videos and hence "channels". Being limited to 155 characters is a throw away to Twitters roots in SMS, and maybe needs to be re-thought. It doesn't cost much to try, so roll BlackBerry is rolling the dice here, why not

What Should Investors Do?

This is a bold and risky land grab in a key area of mobile computing that has been surprisingly underserved. Messaging happens to be BlackBerry's strength and they have decided to make a sprint for the finish rather than "play it safe" and leverage it to sell handsets. BlackBerry has announced that they are making a play in three key multi-billion dollar industries and they're going to use BlackBerry messenger to do this. This has the potential to add a huge amount of upside to BBRY should they succeed.

A few short hedge funds, never the ones missing an opportunity for a quick paint job, decided to start a bear raid for a change. This was a feeble attempt at painting this announcement in a negative light or maybe just playing "Sell the news." Their PR flak team members are sharpening their pencils (Wedge, Canaccord, and Pacific Crust) and preparing an assault on Waterloo. Hang tough, today was a great day for shareholders. Management is on the move.

BlackBerry Launch A Land Grab In Mobile Messaging - Seeking Alpha
    BlackBerry Launch A Land Grab In Mobile Messaging - Seeking Alpha

Posted via CB10

Wow! I feel so narrow minded...
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    05-14-13 03:17 PM
    What you say - "No"

What you are thinking - "No...you look fat in everything. Cause you're fat".

Hahaha...hahaha
    05-14-13 03:18 PM
    Hee hee...$15.395...
    05-14-13 03:20 PM
    Not sure about the rest of the guys on this forum, but I am in serious need of some TnA...
    Keep it clean, everyone... Literally - Morgan? How does this shape us up for the rest of the week if the analysts cancel each other out?
    Yes. That would comfort me very much.
    tygros likes this.
    05-14-13 03:20 PM
    I'm sure Canaccord will come out tomorrow with a report that says they believe freeing BBM will result in 50% less sales.
    bungaboy and ItsTheBox like this.
    05-14-13 03:22 PM
    That and some hard liquer... Rough day today.....
    BlackistheBerry and bungaboy like this.
    05-14-13 03:23 PM
    134,537 shares bought at 15.42.
    05-14-13 03:24 PM
    That filled? Crap - that was an accident
    j/k
    134,537 shares bought at 15.42.
    05-14-13 03:26 PM
    I'm sure Canaccord will come out tomorrow with a report that says they believe freeing BBM will result in 50% less sales.
    Yikes! Don't say that out loud!
    05-14-13 03:28 PM
    That and some hard liquer... Rough day today.....
    Yeah and I put another $100 down too facking early!!!
    05-14-13 03:29 PM
    j/k
    Lol
    05-14-13 03:29 PM
    j/k
    Haha... maybe I should put all mine up at 16.00. See if that miraculously gets filled.

*Crossing fingers*
    05-14-13 03:30 PM
    BlackBerry CEO Says "Our Only Focus Is Mobile" - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    Interesting read from John at AllThingsD - a little more neutral reporting this time...
    Gotta love the pic he has for BBRY -
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bb_engine.jpeg
    Acumenight, bungaboy, jxnb and 2 others like this.
    05-14-13 03:32 PM
    Well aside from the stock price today, which we all know is completely irrational, we should all be pretty excited for not only what our phones do, but what they will be able to do in the not so distant future. For a little clarity, look at the 3 month chart. The lows are consistently higher and the raids have less effect. Sure, anyone who bought to trade today on expectations got hurt, but I for one like what I see even more and have more faith moving forward. Watching the dev keynote was impressive and I can't wait (well I can as I have no choice) until the world realizes what's in store from BlackBerry. This is not the rambling of a fanboy but a fan non the less. This is a truly powerful platform that WILL change the way we look at phones moving forward.
    05-14-13 03:32 PM
105,501 ... 986987988989990 ...