View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Are you telling me you expect the handsets to stay in the current ratios? ie 6bbs to 1 other? That's not going to happen. BB's may still be used for 'classified' or 'secret' stuff, but the vast majority of handsets I do not believe need that type of clearance. BB's share of this pie will drop substantially imho.
    I'll defer to lcjr on the mix of classified levels, but the lowest clearance level available - that can't be more than 10% of their smartphones - is it?
    Heck, of note on the certification was only iPhone 4 and 4S were approved - not iPhone 5 - and that's a year old now. Also, only 6.0 was tested and approved - because newer versions (6.1+) all have vulnerabilities.
    What you guys are missing is that there are a TON of holes in the security levels of both Knox and iOS 6+ - that's the rumor on why Knox is delayed - because it failed testing.
    Don't buy the hype that everyone is abandoning BB - maybe the ratio goes down to 4 to 1, but with that and BES10 as the MDM - BB comes out ahead overall - by a landslide.
    05-07-13 06:16 PM
    iOS6 was only approved for low-level aka no-clearance certification - not the same as BB or Sammy GS4 with Knox and some MDM on top of it.
    There is no way GS4 or iOS6 get the majority of high-level gov't clearance handsets unless they buy BB or something else and integrate it at the handset level - setting them back years in the process.
    IOS 6 was approved for FIPS Level 1. I believe BlackBerries have the same rating as Level 2 to 4 appear to be ratings against physical attack.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIPS_140-2

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 06:20 PM
    Heat from who?
    Every interview he's done (that I have seen) he's being questioned harshly. Not that its a big deal to him or not but he didn't look happy having to answer them.
    05-07-13 06:39 PM
    I'd love it if you guys were right, but it's not just Knox that you have to worry about. I hate to sound like a broken record here but Sammy owns part of a Canadian MDM firm called FIXMO that is made up of former RIM employees. They have a pilot ongoing right now with the USAF, and are aiming for the MDM contract as well. They can manage apple products as well, not sure about BBRY.

For me, the only way for BBRY to come out a winner in this is to be awarded the MDM contract. That way, even when the devices even out, BBRY still wins with the high margin device management revenue.
    Acumenight likes this.
    05-07-13 06:40 PM
    Aha - that twitter quote gave me a good chuckle . Thanks for sharing!

Cheers that I'm not alone in this investment decision. A good buddy of mine's goal is to force my investments to diversify and bring that 80% down to 50%.
    Nope, you're not alone in that... There are a few people on here that are either 100% (like myself) or up in the higher percentile BBRY (l stress just a "few", lol!) Diversification is a good standard rule of thumb but everyone has different risk tolerances and investment ratios they are comfortable with. For me, personally, since I'm only willing to gamble my TFSA cap (25.5k) on the stock market at this point in my life, I figured it was worth the risk to see if the new guard at BBRY can turn this boat around! I bought in from $8 bucks onward, but silly me I bought in chunks (hesitated as a beginner) all the way up to $13 and change. Ended up with an $11. 25 avg so I'm still breathing ok
    05-07-13 06:54 PM
    I'd love it if you guys were right, but it's not just Knox that you have to worry about. I hate to sound like a broken record here but Sammy owns part of a Canadian MDM firm called FIXMO that is made up of former RIM employees. They have a pilot ongoing right now with the USAF, and are aiming for the MDM contract as well. They can manage apple products as well, not sure about BBRY.

For me, the only way for BBRY to come out a winner in this is to be awarded the MDM contract. That way, even when the devices even out, BBRY still wins with the high margin device management revenue.

In terms of scale, this contract is important but there are perhaps 100 million BBs to be sold worldwide over the next two years. My concern is that this is getting way too much attention.
    morganplus8, HerfDurf and jxnb like this.
    05-07-13 07:08 PM
    In terms of scale, this contract is important but there are perhaps 100 million BBs to be sold worldwide over the next two years. My concern is that this is getting way too much attention.
    I hear ya but it's not so much the volume sales, but the volumes it would speak towards security. After all, who needs more security than the U.S. DoD?

It's getting a lot of attention because it's like a trophy contract... and something BBRY needs in their corner desperately, as it'll KO the "BB is going bankrupt" thing (maybe not KO, but a good left hook).
    Last edited by m0de25; 05-07-13 at 07:26 PM.
    morganplus8, take99 and fedakd like this.
    05-07-13 07:15 PM
    I hear ya but it's not so much the volume sales, but the volumes it would speak towards security. After all, who needs more security than the U.S. DoD?

It's getting a lot of attention because it's like a trophy contract... and something BBRY needs in their corner desperately.
    The German military signed on, the Canadians will likely do so, along with other NORAD partners. It's just not everything is my point and it's talked about constantly.
    05-07-13 07:26 PM
    The German military signed on, the Canadians will likely do so, along with other NORAD partners. It's just not everything is my point and it's talked about constantly.
    Yep, and as much as they are hugely important, just like Canadian Tire signing on, the world's opinion (rightly or wrongly) is more swayed with U.S. acceptance on the whole. BB can survive without it, but the chances of them thriving without U.S. support is much slimmer. In other words, Canadian Tire isn't nearly well known (and not nearly advertiseable) as a Walmart. The U.S. are trendsetters and many people will say "if it's good enough for the DoD, it's good enough for us".
    05-07-13 07:31 PM
    Yep, and as much as they are hugely important, just like Canadian Tire signing on, the world's opinion (rightly or wrongly) is more swayed with U.S. acceptance on the whole. BB can survive without it, but the chances of them thriving without U.S. support is much slimmer. In other words, Canadian Tire isn't nearly well known (and not nearly advertiseable) as a Walmart. U.S. are trendsetters.
    Yeah, I was a little surprised by the attention that the Canadian Tire deal got. It was 3000 phones. It's nice but I want to hear about 50 firms that buy 3000 phones each. Although, I believe that we're not hearing much about that because this is just getting started with the Q10 released now.
    plane6065 likes this.
    05-07-13 07:37 PM
    Right. You have a brand new product BES 10 and the trophy client of trophy clients chooses to use it. Don't underestimate what that would do for bbry. Every other country is watching I am sure.
    m0de25 likes this.
    05-07-13 07:45 PM
    I hope over the coming weeks we get to hear about various large companies that sign up for BES10. That kind of news should start to come out soon.
    m0de25, plane6065 and take99 like this.
    05-07-13 07:50 PM
    I hope over the coming weeks we get to hear about various large companies that sign up for BES10. That kind of news should start to come out soon.
    We have to keep in mind that we won't hear about many of the large contracts. For example, how many clients of the legacy phones were advertised? I'm surprised we heard about that UK law firm. Not so surprised about Canadian Tire though.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 07:59 PM
    StreetInsider.com - Value Investors Love Apple (AAPL) and Hedge Funds Hate BlackBerry (BBRY)

"Hedge funds almost universally hated the name. They only wanted to discuss BBRY at the end of meetings and then most were very bearish. Less than 10% of clients we met with were long. More than 50% short or biased that way. Mutual funds tended not to believe or want to discuss. Overall, BBRY has a tough sentiment hill to climb, but funds were interested in the MDM opportunity."

IMHO those hedge fund fackers love to hate BBRY, largely because they're currently scared that they stand to lose a fortune on their short positions, and probably look forward to the day when they can go long on it again.
    Last edited by Charles Martin1; 05-07-13 at 08:17 PM.
    plasmid_boy and fedakd like this.
    05-07-13 08:03 PM
    We have to keep in mind that we won't hear about many of the large contracts. For example, how many clients of the legacy phones were advertised? I'm surprised we heard about that UK law firm. Not so surprised about Canadian Tire though.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know...if they get a lot then I think we should hear something. I'm hoping...
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-07-13 08:16 PM
    I don't know...if they get a lot then I think we should hear something. I'm hoping...
    I hope so too but I'm sure that part of the contract talks is regarding the allowance to disclose that information. I bet a lot will choose to remain silent.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-07-13 08:24 PM
    StreetInsider.com - Value Investors Love Apple (AAPL) and Hedge Funds Hate BlackBerry (BBRY)

"Hedge funds almost universally hated the name. They only wanted to discuss BBRY at the end of meetings and then most were very bearish. Less than 10% of clients we met with were long. More than 50% short or biased that way. Mutual funds tended not to believe or want to discuss. Overall, BBRY has a tough sentiment hill to climb, but funds were interested in the MDM opportunity."

IMHO those hedge fund fackers love to hate BBRY, largely because they're currently scared that they stand to lose a fortune on their short positions, and probably look forward to the day when they can go long on it again.
    If they are so smart one would think they would force a short sqeeze...buy a ton or two of 30 dollar calls and give er.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    05-07-13 08:24 PM
    I think RIM's future is bright.
    05-07-13 08:26 PM
    OMG! I wanted to upload a new and improved resume to BlackBerry (I had applied for an industrial design role there a few months back)

Anyways, I forgot my password to login to my account and like anywhere else, asked for a password reset. This is the new password I received (minus several characters here and there)

za7wYe%gd$%<n[JzBDf9zLzrBs24YG(iw%qvtmG

They really are kings of security, lol!!!!
    05-07-13 08:41 PM
    There's technical and fundamental analysis and conversations about the hardware and software etc etc..

I ask you this simple question:

Does this look like a CEO who just lowered production because of disappointing sales?

Attachment 159296
    05-07-13 08:44 PM
    OMG! I wanted to upload a new and improved resume to BlackBerry (I had applied for an industrial design role there a few months back)

Anyways, I forgot my password to login to my account and like anywhere else, asked for a password reset. This is the new password I received (minus several characters here and there)

za7wYe%gd$%<n[JzBDf9zLzrBs24YG(iw%qvtmG

They really are kings of security, lol!!!!
    Hahahaha. Now that's funny.

Posted via CB10
    m0de25 likes this.
    05-07-13 08:44 PM
    Shares Of This Well-Known Smartphone Maker Could Drop 30%

Things like this are what sink a stock.
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-07-13 08:45 PM
    I hope so too but I'm sure that part of the contract talks is regarding the allowance to disclose that information. I bet a lot will choose to remain silent.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah like the McCain contract or Air Canada, they were not trumpeted very much at all but I would think they may be bigger than Can Tire.
    05-07-13 08:45 PM
    Wild exciting game in Ottawa tonight...kind of on topic...home of QNX

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and m0de25 like this.
    05-07-13 08:48 PM
    I have to be careful how I say this because if you're not in the DoD it will be hard to understand what I'm trying to say. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, there are areas that don't require any type clearance so any brand will do. Managers still go through the purchase approval process and can end up with Motorola, Sony Ericson,.etc... Important to note is that although some departments authorized regular phones can get hold of smartphones but are not on the type contract as yours or mine. The government only pays for the phone calls made, so no surfing, text, etc.. This is closely monitored. Now, the departments that are authorized full capabilities on a government server are imaged by the organization IT department and monitored with extra vigilance. Now, getting to he big boys that have access to classified information usually are limited on where those devices are allowed so that in itself is a part of the security system. Meaning, we won't have devices running around in public with secret or top secret information on them. I think here are those that think that. The push is to get multiple devices access to the organization's server within the work place which will increase productivity and save millions on paper alone. I think if the Playbook would have come out a bit earlier and worked better, we wouldn't have so much push from users to go with the ipad. AGAIN, anything classified would almost always require the device be kept locked up within the organization when not signed out for use. We'll see how this plays out in the upcoming weeks. My IT buddies will let me know as well.
    05-07-13 08:50 PM
113,256 ... 897898899900901 ...