View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I for one hope i'm wrong as well. But until the next earnings report comes out, and the market has hard facts, I think the shortsellers will continue to abuse their market-power to keep the stock-price as low as possible. The silver lining is that those on the buy-side, and I am a member of that club, respond with the right action by increasing our stakes each time there's a dip.
    But one has to ask, with this amount of the float shorted, how much more power do they have? I mean that's a significant dollar amount tied up right there. They are all very weary now, about spuing any sort of unquantified negative news for fear of investigation, and I'm sure very weary about dumping more dollars to short this thing. With the low volume as of late, it would have been extremely easy to drop the price down yet it wasn't done. Now if I wanted to go all conspiracy, I suppose they could be letting it rise only to short it, drop it, sell, and make up some of their losses.
    ItsTheBox and Scott Lefebvre like this.
    04-24-13 04:17 PM
    Yep, I'm still not clear on why somebody would buy shares from a broker that won't give them to you on the spot. Wouldn't that cancel out the short theory?? When I buy shares from my brokerage account, it's immediate and the shares are mine. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture or something....
    They are legally yours. But untill you ask for a physical paper or put it in registered account (401k in US? In Canada, registered account would mean TFSA, RRSP etc), the broker can still lend it around. You can call your broker and ask for a 'paper' and then broker would have to get your stock to you. Or you could also put a SELL order on your stock so broker will have to get it back from whomsoever it was lent to.
    04-24-13 04:19 PM
    Yep, I'm still not clear on why somebody would buy shares from a broker that won't give them to you on the spot. Wouldn't that cancel out the short theory?? When I buy shares from my brokerage account, it's immediate and the shares are mine. Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture or something....
    That brokerage is "loaning" your shares out to the short seller for interest. Your broker not only makes money on you via your commission, but also on the interest the shorter has to pay to "borrow" the shares. At some point, when the shares are bought back, they go back to you.
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    Now, here is the thing. We know that there are 165 Million shares that need to be bought back at some point in time, but we don't know when. We also know that the US market is itching for a correction. Could a healthy correction cause some margin calls? And would those margin calls translate into some shorts covering? If so - does that make BBRY a safe haven during a moderate market correction? Or do margin calls not come fast enough to compensate for the rapid drop?

Just a theory - shoot it down if you think I'm grasping.
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and tygros like this.
    I'd like to hear a report now indicating that 7 million Q10s have been pre-ordered. What a wonderful ride we'd have.
    Molson-Coors sells it in Canada under the Richards White label.

We can't get that here but the beer store guy say's Rickards White is the same thing...what's your opinion?
    04-24-13 04:21 PM
    I'd like to hear a report now indicating that 7 million Q10s have been pre-ordered. What a wonderful ride we'd have.
    You could get a sell-out journalist or sell-out analyst to publish a report quoting anonymous sources "7 Million Q10 pre-ordered". After all, that's what shorts have been doing!
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    04-24-13 04:22 PM
    Basically, right now the amount of shares owed is equal to about 33% of the shares available for trading. Sort of. When I say "available for trading" I'm including all of the ones held by institutions, too. A lot of these shares owed are being paid interest on ("I'll sell you this paper for $15 now, and give it to you later; every week that I can't provide it I'll pay (some % of 15) interest for your patience"). Sooner or later the people who owe them will have to buy them off the market to make up for this problem.

If memory serves me correctly, about 60% of the shares are held by institutions, so aren't quite as quickly available on the open market, meaning that in order for the people who owe the shares (the shorts) to cover their debts (and stop paying interest) they have to buy up 33% of the market using only the 40% readily available. The higher the price goes, obviously the worse off these people are; they might wish to cut their losses and cover (buy the owed shares), but the more this happens the higher the price would go.

In essence: there probably won't be a total lack of buying any time soon. Retail shorts - ones that can't really control markets - are at a pretty high risk.
    Could the same institutions ( who owns 60% of the float ) be shorting it themselves ? For whatever reason?
    I talked to someone and he said it's possible. Can you kindly give us an insight on this?
    Many thanks.
    04-24-13 04:23 PM
    Interesting...nothing surprising but we stretched it out pretty good today, one more day, perhaps two and the RSI will be getting up there pretty high, meaning over bought, meaning possible sell. However that is only one of many indicators and who the fac knows what this thing will do. If we can fill up here and stay pretty level for tomorrow, or conversely rise up tomorrow and fill out on Friday we should be OK...or at least that's what the books say....M8?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg

I can't help but think the shorts want to get this lower pretty quick so if they can't...I would think that is a really good sign.
    lcjr, bungaboy, cjcampbell and 3 others like this.
    04-24-13 04:23 PM
    You think you own your shares, just like you think there is money in your bank account. But if we were all to go to the bank and ask for our money we would find that the bank has loaned most of it out. Your shares are only a promise, just like your bank account.
    jxnb, Shanerredflag, lcjr and 2 others like this.
    04-24-13 04:25 PM
    Response I got when inquiring about preventing my stock from being shorted:

"In regards to short interests, there is no real way to prevent your shares from being loaned out. Since we operate solely on an agency basis, we do not come in contact with other brokers who need to borrow a specific holding. "
    04-24-13 04:28 PM

"In regards to short interests, there is no real way to prevent your shares from being loaned out. Since we operate solely on an agency basis, we do not come in contact with other brokers who need to borrow a specific holding. "
    sentence one: clear as day.

sentence two: clear as mud.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-24-13 04:34 PM
    Nasdaq after hours is going crazy. Just saw a huge buy and huge price drop. 483,400 shares @$14.33 at 16:21pm

Posted via CB10
    Techno Trade?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-04-24-6.38.16-pm.jpg  
    Last edited by bungaboy; 04-24-13 at 05:56 PM.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    04-24-13 04:37 PM
    morgan or whoever, can you explain what is happening here?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-24-13 04:38 PM
    You think you own your shares, just like you think there is money in your bank account. But if we were all to go to the bank and ask for our money we would find that the bank has loaned most of it out. Your shares are only a promise, just like your bank account.
    I gotcha, just don't like it. I do know a couple vets that are already pulling their funds from all institutions and keeping them in their home vaults. Not sure that's such a bad idea either considering you don’t make any interest worth mentioning now days.
    Scott Lefebvre likes this.
    04-24-13 04:38 PM
    Aside from increased shares short at the end of last reporting period the 'days to cover' has almost doubled to 4.6 days.
    04-24-13 04:40 PM

You could place a limit sell for a really high price...say 110.00 with as long a window as your brokerage allows. I did that before launch....didn't stop the share price from tanking lol....but if by some weird coincidence everyone did that...short squeeze to 110.00 please....never happen but fun to dream.
    cjcampbell, lcjr, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    04-24-13 04:41 PM
    Aside from increased shares short at the end of last reporting period the 'days to cover' has almost doubled to 4.6 days.
    And that has grown some more since the volume has been dropping.
    04-24-13 04:42 PM
    also, anyone notice that the nasdaq site has not listed any trades since 17:04?
    04-24-13 04:44 PM
    AH seems halted.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 04:47 PM
    also, anyone notice that the nasdaq site has not listed any trades since 17:04?
    Just refreshed to show 17:42.
    04-24-13 04:48 PM
    Up 0.01 at 17:42
    04-24-13 04:48 PM
    I'll just add and subtract to my position, as usual. However, I am looking forward to not watching it as much. I still think that won't be until after the September ER.
    Shanerredflag and lcjr like this.
    04-24-13 04:50 PM
    Volume has really fallen off

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 04:53 PM
    CBC has their review out...I am not going to post a link or copy it to here...typical and biased. Our tax dollars hard at work.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-24-13 04:58 PM
113,256 ... 763764765766767 ...