Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Nasty little headline here, this could be a big news story this week

Rotting BlackBerry - m.NYPOST.com
    It reads like another short-dog stepping in to pick up for his friend. Slimy beggars.
    Scott Lefebvre and bungaboy like this.
    04-13-13 02:43 PM
    Was thinking the same thing. Surely if it is just one store it is more likely a promotional offer rather than a company wide reduction.

Also I saw some people say that amazon has been known for put on promotional offers like this for new phones before.

Anyone in the US care to shed light on this.

Posted via CB10
    Markymark 23 likes this.
    04-13-13 02:45 PM
    And I promised I wouldn't even peek this weekend lol.

This should be added to BBRY's list of who needs to be investigated and who needs to be sued (from that stupid Post article): "Retailers are turning to steep discounts on the newest Blackberry Z10 smartphone in an effort to move millions stockpiled on store shelves."

Oh brother. Can this get any more ridiculous or is there bigger and better libelous slander on the way? On a happy note, I had a good laugh reading this trash. Poor, poor New Yorkers who have to put up with this rag every day. God bless 'em!!
    04-13-13 02:57 PM
    I think the post is known as a bit of a rag. Kinda like the province here in vancouver
    04-13-13 03:03 PM
    There seems to be an awful lot of negative stories out on BBRY this weekend. I'm wondering if another attack is being planned for next week.
    04-13-13 03:10 PM
    Yep trying to knock it down even more, before the q10 Release

There seems to be an awful lot of negative stories out on BBRY this weekend. I'm wondering if another attack is being planned for next week.
    04-13-13 03:29 PM
    "Millions stockpiled" Next week it will read only 100 thousand shipped total to all US carriers combined,

Baha ha
    Markymark 23 and bungaboy like this.
    04-13-13 03:33 PM
    BlackBerry has a plan,and they are well on there way.
    They will survive first.(Completed)
    They will then regain market share around the world.
    They will change mobile computing as we know it today.
    They will succeed.
    BlackBerry plan may take two years to fully complete its cycle.

I Believe and I am long and I am having a great day,beers all around for the the best thread I had the pleasure to read in years.The emotion in this thread is amazing.
    Cheers to all.
    04-13-13 03:45 PM
    Guys, please stop linking crap when you quote; once is enough (already too much IMHO) ... do not give them over exposure... thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 03:53 PM
    Guys, please stop linking crap when you quote; once is enough (already too much IMHO) ... do not give them over exposure... thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Disagree, we need to know what we are up against, or did you mean just post the whole article in here without the link so they dont get page hits?
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-13-13 04:46 PM
    Disagree, we need to know what we are up against, or did you mean just post the whole article in here without the link so they dont get page hits?
    More likely your second option
    Moreover it was about quoting... when a link appears several times on pages like CB forums, they gain a lot of rank points in search engines.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 04:54 PM
    From Fairfax ASM.... Francis Chou is also very bullish about BlackBerry prospects and valuation at these levels...

http://blogs.wsj.com/canadarealtime/...k-into-stocks/

Canada?s best-known value investor still isn?t ready to wade back into equities. Instead, Prem Watsa defended his company?s stock-market hedging Thursday.

The chief executive of Fairfax Financial Holding Ltd. told investors at the company?s annual meeting that he remains concerned about deflation, high private and public indebtedness in developed countries and what?s likely to be a very long period of ultra-low interest rates and sluggish global economic growth.

That wariness has kept Fairfax on the sidelines, with $8.1 billion, or 30% of its equity portfolio, tucked away in cash. It?s equity position is also fully hedged, protecting against any stock market losses.

?Our first rule is not to lose money,? said Mr. Watsa. ?We think that there are opportunities, but the background is a tough world with all sorts of unintended consequences.?

One stock he?s clearly more comfortable with: Research In Motion Ltd. BB.T +0.14%Early last year, he announced a big stake in the BlackBerry maker, took a board seat, and then doubled down, eventually buying up 10% of RIM shares.

On Thursday, he underscored that commitment. The company is rolling out its new phones, the BlackBerry Z10 and keyboard-equipped Q10.

?Time will show that BlackBerry will do very well,? he said.

Mr. Watsa is sometimes called the Warren Buffett of Canada. (Every country has one, right?) In turn, he credits his success to the late investing guru Sir John Templeton, and Fairfax made all of Mr. Templeton?s books available for shareholders to buy at Thursday?s meeting.

Mr. Watsa said Fairfax has returned almost 23% growth in book value per share compounded since he started the company 27 years ago. That?s better than any of his peers, including Mr. Buffett?s Berkshire Hathaway BRKB +0.05%, which returned 17% over the same period.

Powered by QNX
    04-13-13 05:04 PM
    BlackBerry wine . . . . goes down fine.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-blackberry-wine.jpg
    04-13-13 07:16 PM
    BlackBerry Liquor . . . . . . goes down quicker.

04-13-13 07:19 PM
    Friends -

Why did BBRY not recover after the news of the strong response by management re: return rates?

How do you interpret the Amazon $99 price and talk of light sales in the US?

The good analysts say lots of BBRY's value is in its MDM offering and BES, etc? What indicators do we look for to understand its progress?

I have two Board members give the 'rising tide lifts all boats' argument when talking about BBRY - i.e. "their are 1 billion smartphones in a world of 6 billion people". Is what you think they are banking on or do you think they are playing coy because they have something else coming down the pipe?

Any sense of how BBRY is doing outside of the US?
    04-13-13 08:28 PM
    Can't speak for the rest of the world but here in Canada a few carriers placed the Z10 on sale for 99.00 on a three year contract about three weeks after launch....Great Britain did the same and I think UAE as well. I would not read to much into the price drop story's in the states...seems to be consistent with their marketing strategy elsewhere.

Frank B gave an interview in NYC yesterday and stated 6 devices will be launched this year, covering all price points...things are defiantly on track...the talking heads and bad press (without merit) in the US is just noise..we are at least one or two ER's away from getting a real feel for sales and growth. (imo).

Good Luck.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    04-13-13 09:08 PM
    Friends -

Why did BBRY not recover after the news of the strong response by management re: return rates?

How do you interpret the Amazon $99 price and talk of light sales in the US?

The good analysts say lots of BBRY's value is in its MDM offering and BES, etc? What indicators do we look for to understand its progress?

I have two Board members give the 'rising tide lifts all boats' argument when talking about BBRY - i.e. "their are 1 billion smartphones in a world of 6 billion people". Is what you think they are banking on or do you think they are playing coy because they have something else coming down the pipe?

Any sense of how BBRY is doing outside of the US?
    have you gone to Amazon and stepped through the checkout for these?

$100 with contract. Contract? What does that mean? Well:
    300MB per month = $80/month
    1GB per month = $90/month
    2GB per month = $100/month

No offense, but I don't pay anywhere near that much. Actually, if you go to Verizons web site, and pay $200 for the phone ....
    The cheapest plan is the 2 GB plan. at $60 per month!

So, save $100 up front but pay that $100 back in just 5 months if you are lucky. Then pay an extra $340 over the course of the remaining contract.

But heck. let's do total cost of ownership for the 2 GB plan:
    $100 up front: $100+24*100 = $2500
    $200 up front: $200+24*60 = $1640

That low bandwidth deal is cheaper though. So let's compare that with the 2 GB plan from Verizon:
    $100 up front: $100+24*80 = $2020

Ya, real genius! This is simply an attack on people that don't understand math.
    04-13-13 09:17 PM

Decent intro vid from Vodafone for Q10, and interestingly... with about 2000 more views than the corresponding Galaxy S4 video, even though it was posted yesterday.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 09:23 PM
    Frank B gave an interview in NYC yesterday and stated 6 devices will be launched this year, covering all price points...things are defiantly on track...the talking heads and bad press (without merit) in the US is just noise..we are at least one or two ER's away from getting a real feel for sales and growth. (imo).
    I am still convinced that a new phone will come at the end of the year that is the new premium BB10 device. Quad core, 4 GB memory, etc. 1080p screen?
    And the current Z10 will be mid-tier.
    04-13-13 09:24 PM
    Thanks for this!

have you gone to Amazon and stepped through the checkout for these?

$100 with contract. Contract? What does that mean? Well:
    300MB per month = $80/month
    1GB per month = $90/month
    2GB per month = $100/month

No offense, but I don't pay anywhere near that much. Actually, if you go to Verizons web site, and pay $200 for the phone ....
    The cheapest plan is the 2 GB plan. at $60 per month!

So, save $100 up front but pay that $100 back in just 5 months if you are lucky. Then pay an extra $340 over the course of the remaining contract.

But heck. let's do total cost of ownership for the 2 GB plan:
    $100 up front: $100+24*100 = $2500

That low bandwidth deal is cheaper though. So let's compare that with the 2 GB plan from Verizon:
    $100 up front: $100+24*80 = $2020

Ya, real genius! This is simply an attack on people that don't understand math.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-13-13 09:40 PM
    I am still convinced that a new phone will come at the end of the year that is the new premium BB10 device. Quad core, 4 GB memory, etc. 1080p screen?
    And the current Z10 will be mid-tier.
    I so hope your right

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 10:12 PM
    I don't know how to interpret the impact of the new phones...here's the problem...how do you make money off low end devices? Lenovo and other Chinese firms can pump out Android phones at a very low cost. I would be more excited about new $ generating services - even if it supported Apple and Samsung handsets! We just need to get that short number down to see the shares rip.
    04-13-13 10:14 PM
    Because the OS can run on minimal hardware without sacrificing too much functionality. This is where the efficient OS will be a distinct advantage. Just my guess.
    I don't know how to interpret the impact of the new phones...here's the problem...how do you make money off low end devices? Lenovo and other Chinese firms can pump out Android phones at a very low cost. I would be more excited about new $ generating services - even if it supported Apple and Samsung handsets! We just need to get that short number down to see the shares rip.
    04-13-13 10:27 PM
    I still think Levono is going to license BB10...they need some kind of OS to run on their recent Hardware purchase...and they would be a great fit when BlackBerry releases their mobile computing solution...would sure help the share price too.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, m0de25 and fedakd like this.
    04-13-13 10:29 PM
    Totally agree with you on this, too much smoke here, chinese govt hates google so android wouldnt be a good fit...

I still think Levono is going to license BB10...they need some kind of OS to run on their recent Hardware purchase...and they would be a great fit when BlackBerry releases their mobile computing solution...would sure help the share price too.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Shanerredflag like this.
    04-13-13 11:18 PM
113,256 ... 673674675676677 ...