View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    So what's the plan? Get in at open or wait to see if there is the usual 10:30 dip?

Posted via CB10
    I suspect that many will see BBRY as a buying opportunity, early today. After what happened yesterday, I am betting it will go back up a good bit yet have my doubts about how long any gains would last. Today may NOT be "usual" and do the 10:30 drop after what happened yesterday. Time will tell.
    plane6065 and sparkaction like this.
    04-12-13 07:11 AM
    Then I call "greedy" Joking aside, takes a certain amount of skill, a whole lot of luck, and balls of titanium to day trade this. Tried a couple of times and it was more stressful than days like yesterday!

Good luck!
    I have been doing this for years!
    04-12-13 07:12 AM
    I suspect that many will see BBRY as a buying opportunity, early today. After what happened yesterday, I am betting it will go back up a good bit yet have my doubts about how long any gains would last. Today may NOT be "usual" and do the 10:30 drop after what happened yesterday. Time will tell.
    I agree. After yesterday, it probably won't be nearly as predictable

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-12-13 07:14 AM
    It seems pretty bad that a lame, false rumor took over 1/2 Billion of market cap off of BBRY yesterday, if that was what took it down. If so, you might be wise to ride it for the day. I was thinking about it today, but don't think I will. Technically I think it will hold, but it looks to be on the verge of a breakdown. I do hope it holds and rallies, but I am still waiting until 18 to get back in long term. GLTA today.
    04-12-13 07:17 AM
    Call it like it really is.

[QUOTE]BlackBerry's Stock Price Manipulated

BlackBerry's Stock Price Manipulated - Seeking Alpha

Apr 12 2013, 07:32 | 7 commentsby: Infinity Group | about: BBRY Disclosure: I am long BBRY. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article. (More...)

We have read articles and news reports with very biased information on BlackBerry (BBRY) recently, but I feel we have reached a new low. Yesterday we saw BlackBerry's share price fall nearly 8% on negative news. This news appeared to be one-sided and in a rare occurrence BlackBerry felt it necessary to respond in an email release.

Making decisions over the long term is difficult, when there is much "noise" distracting from the core issues. While there is value in following reports on a regular basis, it is important to differentiate between the traders and investors. What we have witnessed this week is purely trading activity.

Negative Statements

ITG Research stated yesterday that "Z10 sales appear very weak" and Pacific Crest's James Faucette reiterated an underperform rating and doubted that sales are enough to meet the high expectations of the Z10. Pacific Crest has been very bearish from the beginning even estimating sales would be 300,000 at best. Z10 sales were one million units.

Detwiler Fenton also stated yesterday that " the return rate exceeds the sale rate for the Z10". Seeking Alpha contributor Michael Collins wrote an article specifically addressing this comment, and provides a unique British perspective.

What I find interesting is these are smaller firms releasing information without much substance. There is very little information if any to support their claims. BlackBerry does not usually comment on these releases, but took the unusual step to release a statement via email denying Detwiler Fenton's assertions.

"BlackBerry wishes to respond to media coverage today regarding speculation that there have been abnormally high levels of returns of BlackBerry Z10 devices. This is absolutely false. Our data shows that return rates for BlackBerry Z10 devices both in the U.S. and on a global basis are in line with or better than our expectations and are consistent with return rates for other premium smartphones in the market today."

Options

The weekly options expiring April 12, 2013, had increased activity yesterday. The share price fell nearly 8% with an option put volume of 75,386. This equates to approximately 7.5 million shares being controlled by the put volume for the day. With a float of 485 million shares that implies 15.5% of the shares. The option activity is listed below current as of Friday morning before market open.

(Click to enlarge)

Scotia iTrade

To get an appreciation of the increased volume in options trading for BlackBerry it is helpful to compare the previous week's volume. The options were weekly puts at the money comparing April 5th with April 12th contracts. The April 5th put volume was around 1,000 option contracts, which was fairly normal. On April 11th we witnessed an increase in activity of at least 20x plus.

(Click to enlarge)

$13.50 strike weekly put April 12

(Click to enlarge)

$14.50 strike weekly put April 5

Timing

The timing of this increased activity is concerning as there is nothing material happening currently. The Z10 has launched in most major markets and we are waiting the launch of the Q10 in two weeks. This technically is a quiet time as noted by the decreased share volume (non option trading) for the past week. At the same time smaller boutique firms have come out with negative releases without quantitative data that was readily available.

I would anticipate today will be a volatile day in trading as the options expire at the market close. For the investor with limited knowledge in options trading and I do not profess to be an expert in this area, it is important to note that these contracts provide leverage and the profits obtained can be over 100% within 24 hours.

Keep moving

With all this activity what does this mean for the long term investor? Nothing, this is not material to any long term investing decisions either bullish or bearish. This appears clear to me that it is solely for traders to quickly turn a profit.

In an effort to bring normalcy to the investing process, I have included a recent analyst report. Gus Papageorgiou, MBA, CFA (Scotia Capital Inc. - Canada) has issued the following analyst report current as of April 8th 2013. In following Mr. Papageorgiou for some time, I have found his reports to be unbiased.

We reiterate our Sector Outperform Rating on BlackBerry. Q1 break-even guidance seems very pessimistic: Although management guided to a break-even EPS number for Q1, based on our estimates of 3.6M BB 10 devices in Q1 that scenario seems pessimistic.

Q10 launch should kick in big upgrade cycle: Roughly 55% of the 1M Z10's sold in Q4 went to consumers that came from other platforms. We believe the die-hard BlackBerry fans are loyal to QWERTY devices and the Q10 should see a rapid uptake amongst the existing base.

U.S. Launch going well - which means ASPs should hold in: After roughly 2 weeks of availability in the U.S., we believe the Z10 is doing well. In addition, sentiment towards the brand seems to be improving. We also believe the Q10 launch in the U.S. will also go very well.

Sector Outperform: We believe the Street is underestimating the margins on the BB10 line up and expect EPS to come in far ahead of consensus for both Q1 and the full fiscal year.

I have previously done store checks and compiled data that illustrates that there do not appear to be an adverse acceptance of the devices. The results are available from my last article.

I cannot see the share price falling significantly lower due to the option put contracts expiring tomorrow and this will likely result in a share price increase. This would be a good entry point for the bullish investor. Another opportunity is with option calls for next week's contracts, they are presently discounted 50% and if the share price returns to its prior day support level it would result in a nice profit. Of course this would depend on how much intrinsic value is left. For an extra margin of safety, the call options for May 3rd would allow some upside capture of the Q10 release if successful and on time.

The next dates that should effect the share price significantly are the end of April for the Q10 release, end of May/beginning of June for the U.S. Q10 release and the end of June for the fiscal Q1 results.

Regular Seeking Alpha readers of my articles have left me many welcomed comments and personal emails with requests, and the one request that comes up often is an article on the corporate environment with the new BlackBerry Enterprise Server BES10. I will be releasing an article shortly on this subject and followers will be notified.
    [/QUOTE]
    04-12-13 07:17 AM
    So what's the plan? Get in at open or wait to see if there is the usual 10:30 dip?

Posted via CB10
    this puppy is so manipulated that it is hard to tell, broke the uptrend on a lie, now does that count?
    if it counts it broke the uptrend and so not a good buy.
    on the other hand the uptrend broke on a lie and so then BB should bounce back with extra vigor,
    perhaps someone flip a coin?
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-12-13 07:21 AM
    Kind of off topic. But have you guys seen this commercial yet? Shots fired?

Ha ha love it. Thanks for the share.
    Superfly_FR, peter9477 and rarsen like this.
    04-12-13 07:24 AM
    Charles!

I laughed when I saw your message here! I had to read it twice to be sure where I fit in! LOL

My first Under Graduate degree is in Economics, I have all of the licenses to trade in every investment vehicle out there today including options, commodities, currencies etc., got out of the investment industry by earning my Engineering degree (Mech.), I have an MBA and. PhD in Econ., .... So where do I fit into your theory?

I have plenty of education but I'm not a nerd, I also have Electrical and Mechanical Certification(s) and some other junk. But I spend my time welding and building automated machinery when I'm not writing periodicals for the American Society of Engineering Management. Now where do I fit into that theory? Ha!
    Hot damn. A fellow engineer. Nice to see.
    Charles Martin1 and rarsen like this.
    04-12-13 07:29 AM
    this puppy is so manipulated that it is hard to tell, broke the uptrend on a lie, now does that count?
    if it counts it broke the uptrend and so not a good buy.
    on the other hand the uptrend broke on a lie and so then BB should bounce back with extra vigor,
    perhaps someone flip a coin?
    There is away some luck involved! The day the interest rate goes up even the smallest amount will be a very dark day for the entire market! Beware
    04-12-13 07:29 AM
    04-12-13 07:33 AM
    Thor brings down the hammer!

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:38 AM

Posted via CB10
    now we are talking:

BlackBerry Seeks U.S., Canadian Review of False Reports on Return Rates

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - April 12, 2013) - BlackBerry� (BBRY)(BB.TO), a world leader in mobile communications, today said it would seek Securities and Exchange Commission and Ontario Securities Commission review of a false and misleading report about retail return rates for the Company's new BlackBerry Z10 smartphone.

"Sales of the BlackBerry� Z10 are meeting expectations and the data we have collected from our retail and carrier partners demonstrates that customers are satisfied with their devices," said BlackBerry President and CEO Thorsten Heins. "Return rate statistics show that we are at or below our forecasts and right in line with the industry. To suggest otherwise is either a gross misreading of the data or a willful manipulation. Such a conclusion is absolutely without basis and BlackBerry will not leave it unchallenged."

BlackBerry and Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. carrier, on Thursday refuted claims from research and investment firm Detwiler Fenton that BlackBerry Z10 devices were being returned in unusually high numbers. Detwiler Fenton refused to make either its report to investors or its methodology available to BlackBerry, even after the Company said the firm's findings were "absolutely false."

BlackBerry Chief Legal Officer Steve Zipperstein said: "These materially false and misleading comments about device return rates in the United States harm BlackBerry and our shareholders, and we call upon the appropriate authorities in Canada and the United States to conduct an immediate investigation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the merits of the many competing products in the smartphone industry, but when false statements of material fact are deliberately purveyed for the purpose of influencing the markets a red line has been crossed."

Zipperstein said BlackBerry would present its formal request to U.S. and Canadian regulators in the next several days.
    04-12-13 07:39 AM
    April 12, 2013 08:30 ET

BlackBerry Seeks U.S., Canadian Review of False Reports on Return Rates

EDIT: Always the Bridesmaid, never the bride! Thought I was going to post this first

WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - April 12, 2013) - BlackBerry� (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a world leader in mobile communications, today said it would seek Securities and Exchange Commission and Ontario Securities Commission review of a false and misleading report about retail return rates for the Company's new BlackBerry Z10 smartphone.

"Sales of the BlackBerry� Z10 are meeting expectations and the data we have collected from our retail and carrier partners demonstrates that customers are satisfied with their devices," said BlackBerry President and CEO Thorsten Heins. "Return rate statistics show that we are at or below our forecasts and right in line with the industry. To suggest otherwise is either a gross misreading of the data or a willful manipulation. Such a conclusion is absolutely without basis and BlackBerry will not leave it unchallenged."

BlackBerry and Verizon Wireless, the largest U.S. carrier, on Thursday refuted claims from research and investment firm Detwiler Fenton that BlackBerry Z10 devices were being returned in unusually high numbers. Detwiler Fenton refused to make either its report to investors or its methodology available to BlackBerry, even after the Company said the firm's findings were "absolutely false."

BlackBerry Chief Legal Officer Steve Zipperstein said: "These materially false and misleading comments about device return rates in the United States harm BlackBerry and our shareholders, and we call upon the appropriate authorities in Canada and the United States to conduct an immediate investigation. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the merits of the many competing products in the smartphone industry, but when false statements of material fact are deliberately purveyed for the purpose of influencing the markets a red line has been crossed."

Zipperstein said BlackBerry would present its formal request to U.S. and Canadian regulators in the next several days.

About BlackBerry

A global leader in wireless innovation, BlackBerry� revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. BlackBerry is currently listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ:BBRY) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX:BB). For more information, visit Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com.

Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend," "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by RIM in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that RIM believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause RIM's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of RIM's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at Welcome to the SEDAR Web Site / Bienvenue au Site Web SEDAR or U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission | Homepage). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on RIM's forward-looking statements. RIM has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.

BlackBerry, RIM, Research In Motion and related trademarks, names and logos are the property of Research In Motion Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world. All other brands, names and marks are the property of their respective owners. RIM is not responsible for any third party products or services.
    bungaboy, zyben and m0de25 like this.
    OMG, this is freaking awesome! So pumped up that they are standing up to the BS!
    04-12-13 07:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    and Prem Watsa!

He eventually won a legal case against firms that manipulated the share price of his fund, Fairfax Financial Holdings.
    04-12-13 07:46 AM
    This news "could" bring that big bounce that I am wanting!
    04-12-13 07:49 AM
    Ok its 550 am hear on the west coast and i just woke everyone up with my He11 Yeah!
    04-12-13 07:50 AM
    Excellent.

Time to start the war against the liars and the haters.

04-12-13 07:50 AM
    Finally, BBRY is fighting back! I feel like I should buy a few more shares and take advantage of the low price.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-12-13 07:51 AM
    God I wish there is an easy way for me to buy shares I always have to call in and because of the time differences it is jot easy

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 07:53 AM
    Who was the dummy on here telling me everything was legal and no reason to complain to the SEC? I hate arguing with puppets.

Posted via CB10
    Tinomane and BlackistheBerry like this.
    04-12-13 07:55 AM
    Boulben interview in wsj, on the six devices this year:

WSJ: Other than the Z10 and Q10, what other products are you planning to launch this year?

Mr. Boulben: By the end of the year we will have six BlackBerry 10 devices, including the Z10 and Q10, and we will be covering all price ranges from the high-end to the mid-range and the entry level. Like we are doing with the Z10 and Q10 for the high end, we will have a full-touch device and a keyboard device for other price ranges.

What�s important is that, whether you are at the entry level, mid-range or high end, it will be the same software experience and the same apps will be available. We have now more than 100,000 apps available. We are very much convinced that we are on the right track.
    Shanerredflag, zyben and rarsen like this.
    04-12-13 07:56 AM
    and Prem Watsa!

He eventually won a legal case against firms that manipulated the share price of his fund, Fairfax Financial Holdings.
    Sorry but he lost that case as they had no proof the analysts actually traded in Fairfax or attempted to make any money off their reports.

BBRY's case here may be better. At least we should be able to find out whatever feeble "proof" they have about the return rate and expose that. We shall see....
    04-12-13 07:56 AM
    great move. Even if it doesn't end up coming to anything, at the very least this a warning shot to other manipulators and hopefully restores confidence in the market.
    04-12-13 07:57 AM
113,256 ... 660661662663664 ...