View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    Im checking globe and mail, forbes, bloomberg and cnbc, and none are talking about this lenovo rumour (seems to come up every month around this time ).

I'm not seeing anything about the DoD contract either. Infact, blackberry didnt come up in any articles today.
    Are you using yahoo or something? ;-)
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-03-13 07:25 PM
    K...this is ground breaking for anyone over 40...here are the lyrics for the long time antagonist party song:

bungaboy and lcjr like this.
    04-03-13 07:32 PM
    From what I recall the HTC facebook phone was an "elcheapo" not top tier.
    Sorry if I miss informed... did not hear that.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-03-13 07:35 PM
    Any thing to be concerned about? pertaining to DoD Contract !

General Dynamics locks down Android, demos ultra-secure LG Optimus 3D Max
    bungaboy and Markymark 23 like this.
    04-03-13 07:40 PM
    BlackBerry Z10 | Glimpse

Be sure to share this link to Facebook and all your iphone and android using friends.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    04-03-13 07:44 PM
    I was reading it on Tech Republic I think. I'll see if I can find it.

In the meantime . . . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-mad-magazine.jpg
    Shanerredflag and lcjr like this.
    04-03-13 07:47 PM
    I just read the biggest piece of sh_t article on Forbes...not going to post or share! MAN, who ever invents a punch in the face over the puter will get rich!

(sorry...just venting lol)
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-03-13 07:51 PM

Not likely.
    It's believed 25% of apps on Android are malware.
    There's basically an entire community (XDA) that is essentially committed to hacking the OS.
    Open source~

Realistically, Blackberry is undisputed as top dog in terms of security. iPhone is considered a DISTANT 2nd, followed by Android. The article you provided is great in theory, but too fresh to warrant a contract.

If anything, it's basically Blackberry 10 ($$$) vs Blackberry 7 (low margins) vs iPhone.
    Shanerredflag, bungaboy and jxnb like this.
    04-03-13 07:52 PM
    HTC Myst 'Facebook Phone' software leaks ahead of 4 April event

Pocket-lint

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:20 AM GMT
    A system dump of the "Facebook Phone" from HTC and the social media giant has leaked, giving us an indication of what will be announced at the 4 April media event.

Android Police was able to score the software, but was unable to sign in to some key areas, given its pre-release nature requiring Facebook employee credentials.

What we have learnt, however, is that the rumoured HTC Myst?is indeed real and will be running Sense 4.5 with special Facebook integration dubbed "Facebook Home" that will run on top of Android 4.2.1 and Sense. Given references in the software, the Myst will have special access to?photos, messaging and contacts to tie into Facebook's existing services.?

Code for Facebook Home also reveals it may work on devices other than HTC's, as references to TouchWiz were found. This may suggest Facebook Home will be available to download from Google Play, like earlier media reports have already suggested.?

The software further confirmed specifications for the Myst that EvLeaks of UnwiredView previously reported on. The specifications quite honestly sound boring. The Myst will boast a?4.3-inch 720p screen, 1GB of RAM, a 5-megapixel camera and the dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 processor. It has already rolled through the FCC with AT&T bands?- other carriers are currently unknown.?

Of course, things are always likely to change between the pre-release software and 4 April. We'll bring you the latest as we get it!
    First Render Of HTC's ‘Facebook Phone' Reportedly Leaks Ahead Of Thursday Event
    TechCrunch

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 9:37 PM GMT

The HTC hardware that’s being prepped as the delivery mechanism for Facebook Home, which has lots more potential than the device itself, supposedly leaked in the image above. The render, tweeted by Evleaks, a consistent source of pre-release Android hardware info, doesn’t look like much: it’s destined to be a mid-range device, after all, according to early leaks.

The leak also suggests it’ll be called the HTC First, which sounds like a not-so-great play on the HTC One naming scheme. Previous info had it codenamed the HTC Myst, which at least brought to mind the popular point-and-click adventure game. The name ‘First’ at least evokes the idea that you’ll be the first of your friends to spot all the activity going down on Facebook, but again, don’t expect the hardware to account for any of the ‘wow’ factor of Thursday’s announcement at Facebook HQ.

What we’ve heard about the phone itself so far indicates a modest but capable performer, with a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor, 1GB of RAM, a 5 megapixel rear camera and a 4.3-inch display capable of 720p HD resolution. It’s so yawn-inducing that if Facebook spends more than two minutes on hardware and specs on Thursday, I might actually nod off. But it’s an example of what Facebook can offer other OEMs, regardless of device specs: the angle of ‘it’ll even run on your broadly aimed pre-paid handsets’ is a good one for FB’s purposes of establishing a much wider, more entrenched mobile platform.

Even if the phone itself does look a little like a cheap iPhone knock-off.
    morganplus8 and Shanerredflag like this.
    04-03-13 08:03 PM
    Not likely.
    It's believed 25% of apps on Android are malware.
    There's basically an entire community (XDA) that is essentially committed to hacking the OS.
    Open source~

Realistically, Blackberry is undisputed as top dog in terms of security. iPhone is considered a DISTANT 2nd, followed by Android. The article you provided is great in theory, but too fresh to warrant a contract.

If anything, it's basically Blackberry 10 ($$$) vs Blackberry 7 (low margins) vs iPhone.
    And . . . .

One out of Three Free Android Apps Accesses and Uploads Your Private and Sensitive Data

Huffington Post

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:18 PM GMT

If a stranger asked to see your phone so he could search through your inbox, photos, calendar entries and contact list? You'd likely be offended at the idea.

But what if the stranger offered you a free video game? Millions of smartphone owners worldwide have said yes.

About one in three smartphone apps accesses and uploads the private data you store on your phone. Your privacy is as stake, and the risk of being profiled rises with every app you download.

Privacy boundaries are becoming ever more blurry as developers incorporate ethically dubious adware that collects personal and sensitive information on you. Some 32.62 per cent of apps upload information such as your phone number, location, and your email address to third-party companies, without specifically letting you know. One in three free Android apps requests and broadcasts your sensitive personal data, without even telling you why.

Marketing companies pay big bucks for complete user profiles - with data ranging from what you browse to where you eat lunch - so they can sell you stuff by targeting you with personalized ads. Sounds farfetched, but have you noticed that each time you browse, ads seem to know what you were interested in days back?

By analyzing 130K free Android apps from Google Play, we found that 12.87 percent of them upload your phone number to a third party. This would be a good time to start asking yourself why you have been getting text messages with offers of cheap tickets to the Knicks game.

The precise coordinates of every place you've been while carrying your phone has been uploaded to an unknown server. Our study shows that 12.03 percent of the apps we analyzed did it. Imagine visiting new places during your holidays - say, a new country - or going on a business trip and having all your on-device ads switch language on you. This is already typical behavior, but at least now you know why. How comfortable are you with having "Sauron's Eye" watching your every move?

If you are not scared that apps come packed with virulent adware to grab your personal data and track your movement, what if they could also access your browsing history? Some 17.3 percent of all analyzed apps ask for permission to read your contacts, access your browsing history, and access your photos.

It may not sound like such a big deal, but if you're using your device for both personal and work activities, imagine doing some work research at home. Would it be hard for someone to figure out details of your next work project if they could follow your browsing searching patterns? Probably not. Virulent adware could prove a potent tool for corporate espionage.

Not to mention that if you have your co-workers' contacts on your device, a third party might use the data to get an overview of top management and efficiently target them with malicious and credible spam messages. This somewhat paranoid scenario does seem unlikely, but considering that such data is actually being collected, it's not such a leap of the imagination to think that it's not being filtered, processed, and aggregated into a complete and highly accurate user profile.

Creating a virtual alter ego of an individual is the Holy Grail of marketers and cyber criminals alike. Considering all the information needed is on your phone, being a bit cautious is a good thing.

The fine line between aggressive adware and cold-blooded malware is getting shadier. If malware collects passwords and credentials, aggressive adware seems to collect everything else from you. Drawing the line between malware and aggressive adware is becoming a challenging task, and users risk losing more than they think.

Of course, you could always go ahead and install a mobile security solution that can spot malware and aggressive adware at a distance. Checking for what permissions you allow apps to access is also wise, as most don't really need all of them to properly function, and you might end up giving too much for too little.

Alexandru Catalin Cosoi
    Shanerredflag and richc3 like this.
    04-03-13 08:07 PM
    Great posts Bungaboy!...thank you.
    bungaboy and Markymark 23 like this.
    04-03-13 08:10 PM
    Now . . . . for something completely hilarious . . . .

Apple Is Preparing Such Big Changes To The iPhone Software That Engineers Are Using Special Filters To Hide Their Screens (AAPL)

Business Insider

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:20 AM GMT

Apple is preparing a major overhaul of iOS, the software that runs the iPhone and iPad, says ****plugged-in Apple blogger John Gruber.

He says the "word on the street" is that engineers inside Apple who are authorized to carry around new iPhones have a filter on their screen so that the side viewing angles are diminished. (Think about one of those filters people put on their desktop screens at work.)

The filter on the iPhone screen makes it hard for people to see "the apparently rather significant system-wide UI overhaul."

Rene Ritchie, another well-sourced Apple writer adds, "Ive’s work is apparently making many people really happy, but will also apparently make rich-texture-loving designers sad."

In other words, Ive, who was promoted to lead the design of Apple's software, is wiping out stuff like fake stitching and fake wood textures that often pop up in iOS.

Gruber also says he's hearing that Apple is running behind on iOS 7, and has pulled engineers working on other projects to get iOS 7 finished on time.

His comments were originally made on Branch, a commenting platform. There's a bunch of Apple writers gabbing about the latest they're hearing on iOS.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    04-03-13 08:16 PM
    Im checking globe and mail, forbes, bloomberg and cnbc, and none are talking about this lenovo rumour (seems to come up every month around this time ).

I'm not seeing anything about the DoD contract either. Infact, blackberry didnt come up in any articles today.
    They can't just take over unless they hold the majority of the shares. Now they could get in with a license deal and take over from within using ninja tactics and psychological warfare. I'd bet more money on the ninja tactics though. As far as DoD, relax. You have to understand that our government issued phones are funless. Camera gone, dedicated and isolated email use, no surfing, no games, etc... Relax, the DoD will keep BB.
    04-03-13 08:18 PM
    The debate over licensing vs takeover is getting long winded, particularly when the media focusses on acquisition. The latter will never, ever happen. Period.

But licensing.....another story and all of us can only dream that it'll happen. I can't even fathom the potential of a deal with Lenovo and their current/future customer base with NEC along for the ride. Think of it......just about all of the Asia's where the smartphone would actually be something new for the "billions" of potential users who currently have only basic cell phones....or no mobile communications at all (yet). Then there'd be the possibility of combining BBRY ideas and technology with Lenovo's "almost" global dominance in personal computers. They say PC's are a dying breed, poor old Dell comes to mind, but imagine licensing BBRY/QNX technology for Lenovo's PC lineup. What would the potential of a PC be then?

Icing on the cake is the strained relationship that China currently has with Apple AND Google. It would be the perfect storm IMHO.

Ok, back to reality and $15.03 for the moment. Have a great night all.
    04-03-13 08:22 PM
    So I was also looking for IOS info. This is all I found (apparently from an Apple meeting ...notice the toy's?)

bungaboy likes this.
    04-03-13 08:24 PM
    Several men are in the locker room of a private club after exercising. Suddenly a Blackberry on one of the benches rings. A man picks it up and the following conversation ensues:

"Hello?"

"Honey, It's me."

"Sugar!"

"Are you at the club?"

"Yes."

"Great! I'm at the mall 2 blocks from where you are. I saw a beautiful mink coat. It is absolutely gorgeous! Can I buy it?"

"What's the price?"

"Only $1,500."

"Well, okay, go ahead and get it, if you like it that much."

"Ahhh, and I also stopped by the Mercedes dealership and saw the 2002 models. I saw one I really liked. I spoke with the salesman and he gave me a really good price ... and since we need to exchange the BMW that we bought last year..."

"What price did he quote you?"

"Only $60,000!"

"Okay, but for that price I want it with all the options."

"Great! Before we hang up, something else..."

"What?"

"It might seem like a lot, but I was reconciling your bank account and...well, I stopped by to see the real estate agent this morning and I saw the house we had looked at last year. It's on sale! Remember? The one with a pool, English garden, acre of park area, beachfront property..."

"How much are they asking?"

"Only $450,000... a magnificent price, and I see that we have that much in the bank to cover..."

"Well, then go ahead and buy it, but just bid $420,000, OK?"

"Okay, sweetie. Thanks! I'll see you later!! I love you!!!"

"Bye."

The man hangs up, closes the phone's flap and asks aloud, "Does anyone know who's BlackBerry this is?"
    04-03-13 08:27 PM
    If you believe in conspiracies then wouldn't it be the perfect storm for shorts to drive the stock price up by issuing "the Lenovo story" and then hammer the stock subsequently. I plan to take this story with a few grains of salt. From posts in this forum, there appears to be some exuberance showing. Be careful!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sparkaction; 04-03-13 at 08:44 PM.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    04-03-13 08:31 PM
    I was quite happy to get out today at 26.25, I can't see the facebook phone being a good thing.
    CNBC ripped the concept apart at lunch today and said it'd add nothing at all to Facebook value. And we all know how spot on our friends at CNBC can be lol.
    04-03-13 08:34 PM
    If you believe in conspiracies then wouldn't it be the perfect storm for shorts to drive the stock price up by issuing "the Lenovo story" and then hammer the stock subsequently. I plan to take this story with a few grains of salt. From readings of posts in this forum, there appears to be some exuberance showing. Be careful!

Posted via CB10
    Yes...this "story" has been floating for a while. Agree, nothing is done till it's done but wishful thinking is fun
    04-03-13 08:37 PM
    CNBC ripped the concept apart at lunch today and said it'd add nothing at all to Facebook value. And we all know how spot on our friends at CNBC can be lol.
    Over a billion users...it will take a couple three years to totally kill the idea...like MySpace.

I think it's coming, but I'm not an alien that knows everything either lol.
    04-03-13 08:40 PM
    This guy is an Alien:

Markymark 23 and lcjr like this.
    04-03-13 08:41 PM
    If you believe in conspiracies then wouldn't it be the perfect storm for shorts to drive the stock price up by issuing "the Lenovo story" and then hammer the stock subsequently. I plan to take this story with a few grains of salt. From readings of posts in this forum, there appears to be some exuberance showing. Be careful!
    Not to worry, we're all smarter than that.....I hope lol. The one"odd" thing about the Telegraph article was that it came from the Sunday edition. News like that wouldn't take 3 days to make it over here. The other oddity (actually I guess there were a few come to think of it) was the "surge in the stock price they described for Wednesday. What surge? Is there another BBRY in another dimension somewhere that surged on Wednesday?

Anyways.....good point sparkaction but I'm still including Lenovo in my dreams!!!
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    04-03-13 08:42 PM
    Funny. Here is a wise man's retort to the Forbes article :

Blackberry releasing more phones is a bad thing? Wow you short sellers will try anything! That is just about the most moronic thing I have ever read from this netrag…not to say that most of your BB articles haven’t been moronic…Best buy is sold out in numerous stores in the US (roughly 65 percent) and the Z10 is just starting to roll. 96 percent of users are reviewing it 5 stars and claiming everyone they show it to wants to get one. Maybe you can explain to readers why your previous article about Apple state that they are going nowhere without announcing a larger screen (more expensive) device as well as lower cost devices but when BB is going to do it it’s potentially the wrong move. If you actually want a single person to agree with anything you write maybe you should show the capacity to agree with yourself first…

Ewan you really need to get a job and a life!
    04-03-13 08:48 PM

If security means that everything is held in its own sandbox then you are doing it wrong...

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    04-03-13 08:51 PM
    Remember last month? Lenovo rumor drove shares up $2. Then, because it had no merit, the price dropped back down $1 before the AT&T release date came and drove the shares up an additional $2.50.

Lenovo rumors could drive this up again, before the Q10 release date pushes it even higher. Then they short and drive the price back down on BS.
    bungaboy likes this.
    04-03-13 08:52 PM
106,075 ... 587588589590591 ...