View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I'm buying shares before OS2 is launched. I feel positive about RIM's future. They're doing a lot of things I like.
    11-25-11 06:08 PM
    Call me a dreamer, a fanatic, a fool or whatever, I'm just buying some RIM shares right now.
    While I think it can't really hurt me and I may have a delicious surprise in,say, 5 years, I'm not doing this in a speculative vision, just a support action. As my savings are low, I'll not spend a lot, so maybe I'll buy only 5.

How many of us (and friends) can afford this ? I don't know ...
    But if we actively buzz this, it may ... oh, yes, I'm a dreamer...
    But just imagine 10% of BB users claiming five shares ...

P.S: Yes, I'm a part of the 99% : I have no other share anywhere.

Disclaimer : buying shares is a high risk action that must not be done unless the money you engage is under 5% of your personal liquid assets. By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. Be aware that You can lose everything and I won't be responsible for this in any circumstance. (if any jurist is around, please PM me if this disclaimer is a fail !)
    Buy as many shares of Rimm as you can. Then, get ready to Sell Short. You'll make a killing in the near future.
    11-25-11 07:26 PM
    Yeah, I support RIM, too! Lol. I purchased 2 9810s. Whether I and others remain "supportive" depends on RIM.
    11-25-11 07:38 PM
    Support RIM by buying its products and using its services. Don't 'support' RIM by investing in them. Keep your head separate from your heart.

I see countless posts about RIMM on this forum, and can't help but wonder how young, foolish, and ignorant many of you are with your investing ways.
    Yeah. I'm reading the post as well. Interesting comments.
    Liptonice likes this.
    11-25-11 07:42 PM
    This analyst thinks that the Research In Motion stock is 'absurdly oversold', the next Earnings Call is going to be very interesting,

The Link:

Research in Motion 'Absurdly Oversold,' Declares Analyst - MarketBeat - WSJ
    11-28-11 02:03 PM
    Maybe 5 years ago I would have invested, but not now. Overseas is doing well though. Maybe next year after QNX gets up and running .....maybe
    You would have not done well investing 5 years ago my friend, unless you sold during the peaks in 08 or 07. Rimm is trading lower this week than anytime since 2004. I picked up another 100 shares today. It is absurdly oversold for its financials and cash flow.

As the wise man said above, Buy when people are fearful. You don't buy when a company is at its peak to get maximum results.

I bought Sirius at 20 cents a share when everyone said it was dead. I put 5,000 dollars where my mouth was. I sold at 1.80.
    I have put my money where my mouth was with the national bank of greece also, i expect to win that one too in 2 years.
    Rimm will recover, and i have my money where my mouth is.

I also bought apple at 30 dollars a share back in 2004, unfortunately i was in high school and only had 1,000 dollars to invest. I sold that at 340. Nice haul.
    11-28-11 03:13 PM
    I've balanced out recently to bring my average cost down. I don't plan to be selling out till 2013 anyway at which time, I'll either be really happy, or be out a few thousand dollars, I've saved the few thousand in data costs over the years, so I'll call it even.
    Preciously what i have done, I bought more today. My breakeven point is currently 25.95 after my purchase today.
    I intend to hold until ~1.5 years after qnx phones are released.
    11-28-11 03:21 PM
    Preciously what i have done, I bought more today. My breakeven point is currently 25.95 after my purchase today.
    I intend to hold until ~1.5 years after qnx phones are released.
    Good for you. In 1.5 years, your shares will be worth about 6.95. Nice investment.
    11-28-11 05:08 PM
    Shares climbing to 17.82 as of 11:23am. Not bad.
    11-29-11 10:23 AM
    Shares climbing to 17.82 as of 11:23am. Not bad.
    Not bad? Are you kidding me? Last year at this time rimm was over 50.00 per share. In Dec.2010, it hit 60.00 per share. Not bad if you sold short last year!
    11-29-11 10:43 AM
    Not bad? Are you kidding me? Last year at this time rimm was over 50.00 per share. In Dec.2010, it hit 60.00 per share. Not bad if you sold short last year!
    Not bad considering it's been getting pounded non stop for a while. and 8% increase in 1 day is "not bad" relatively speaking but is nothing in the long run if they can't get their act together.

I'm just hoping that the stock rally's a bit more before earnings call cuz if they miss again, I see it dropping another 20% in afterhours trading like it did the last several quarters.

If I recall correctly, it rallied almost 50% in 4 weeks right before the earnings call where it hit a high of 32% and then 29$ right before the call. From there it lost all it gained and another 30% as of a few days ago.
    Last edited by TheMimic; 11-29-11 at 11:44 AM.
    11-29-11 11:40 AM
    Good for you. In 1.5 years, your shares will be worth about 6.95. Nice investment.
    Rimm would be acquired before it hit 6.95.

You sound like a bitter investor that bought in 07/08 or even maybe last year. I get it, we all get burned sometimes.

Even if i was dead wrong, id lose maybe 8 thousand, that's peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for your prediction of 6.95 though, did the Corps teach you how to make calls like that? I must of missed the Equity Performance Prediction MCI haha.
    11-29-11 12:38 PM
    Rimm would be acquired before it hit 6.95.

You sound like a bitter investor that bought in 07/08 or even maybe last year. I get it, we all get burned sometimes.

Even if i was dead wrong, id lose maybe 8 thousand, that's peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for your prediction of 6.95 though, did the Corps teach you how to make calls like that? I must of missed the Equity Performance Prediction MCI haha.
    Just going on a hunch, and past performance. Semper Fi.
    11-29-11 05:00 PM
    for those who bought, i'd love to have a look at your valuation spreadsheets.
    11-29-11 05:20 PM
    i can see some short term growth if rim sticks to bbos and maybe introduce an os8. i have extremely low faith in bbx. it's as good as saying you expect ipad sales to do well assuming the ipod/phone was a flop.

rim's annual investment rate definitely cannot match microsoft's. coupled with apple and android, the market is almost saturated and they are set for decline. what do people love about blackberries again? keyboard, battery life. keyboard is not going to exist at least in early versions of bbx and the playbook's battery gets beaten flat by the ipad.

if you really must invest in a tech company, i'd say microsoft provides the best risk adjusted return.
    11-29-11 05:34 PM
    Anyone still supporting or buying shares?
    Wow, the nasdaq is looking good for anyone owning worthwhile companies this past year, not rimm though.

Wonder if market sells off at all this year if rimm sees 15?

Sure won't be me. I got lucky in rimm on a two day trade, only got out profitably by the huge upswing in the general(manipulated) headfake of a Christmas rally.

Don't try to catch a falling knife in tech. Plus a company that has no faith in their shares. No buybacks, no worthwhile insider purchases, no dividend.

Look at management and what they have done to rimm, they don't care about the loyals on here.

They passed us up and couldn't give us good phones that were even up to dte technology wise.

All the money was made on the short side and the put owners/call writers.

jmo
    12-03-11 01:13 AM
    I don't know what's more surprising: that 36% of voters would actually buy shares to support RIM or that this thread has lasted so long.

The idea of supporting a company by buying their shares goes against one of the very basic principles of investing in the stock market. Follow your brain, not your heart. Even then it's at best an educated cr@p shoot.

Like others have said here the best way to support RIM is to buy their products. Buying their shares only supports those who already own their stock. Sounds to me like someone has a vested interest in driving up demand for RIMM.
    12-03-11 06:57 AM
    Hmm i think every company has to go through its "teenage" years where they begin to stumble a bit. Honestly and truly if Rim can get their sh!t together i know they will see brighter days and im a firm believer that they will see brighter days.

" Its darkest right before dawn " >
    12-03-11 03:18 PM
    Hmm i think every company has to go through its "teenage" years where they begin to stumble a bit. Honestly and truly if Rim can get their sh!t together i know they will see brighter days and im a firm believer that they will see brighter days.

" Its darkest right before dawn " >
    Look and see how many other tech companies have lowered estimates and missed and stay alive.

Look at a one year chart and ask yourself why any management of rimm is allowed to stay on.

The ceo has only helped the shorts. Look how he tried his best to run rimm into the ground and he still has a job

He should be the embarassment of Canada, or is that just business as usual for a company that won't be taken over by a US company because of their govt?
    12-03-11 10:52 PM
    Look and see how many other tech companies have lowered estimates and missed and stay alive.

Look at a one year chart and ask yourself why any management of rimm is allowed to stay on.

The ceo has only helped the shorts. Look how he tried his best to run rimm into the ground and he still has a job

He should be the embarassment of Canada, or is that just business as usual for a company that won't be taken over by a US company because of their govt?
    Yeah, to some of us he is but I doubt that the majority feel that way. But let's put that in perspective. He's not even close to being as much of an embarassment as Bernie Madoff was to America.

As for the Canadian government protecting RIM, I would like someone to cite examples of when the government stepped in and prevented a take-over of a public company. Yes, they will protect natural resources, telecomunications, and the airlines since foreign ownership in these industries may be detrimental to Canadian interests. But a public company like RIM, I don't see what interests they would be protecting. It certainly isn't jobs since many foreign companies actually create jobs here.

If I were an investor owning RIM shares and I stood to make a handsome profit from a buyout offer, I'd be real concerned if it were blocked by the government. This is not Cuba or the former USSR.
    12-03-11 11:33 PM
    If I was to invest in RIM. Would you guys say it'd be better to wait until the 15th/16th after the quarterly results? Or should I just hop on that train right now?
    12-04-11 12:19 AM
    Yeah, to some of us he is but I doubt that the majority feel that way. But let's put that in perspective. He's not even close to being as much of an embarassment as Bernie Madoff was to America.

As for the Canadian government protecting RIM, I would like someone to cite examples of when the government stepped in and prevented a take-over of a public company. Yes, they will protect natural resources, telecomunications, and the airlines since foreign ownership in these industries may be detrimental to Canadian interests. But a public company like RIM, I don't see what interests they would be protecting. It certainly isn't jobs since many foreign companies actually create jobs here.

If I were an investor owning RIM shares and I stood to make a handsome profit from a buyout offer, I'd be real concerned if it were blocked by the government. This is not Cuba or the former USSR.
    I have read so much here about this and it seems that people would rather see RIM go bankrupt than to be acquired by a foreign company. This is a strange view to hold considering that RIM is such a big employer in Canada.
    12-04-11 07:03 AM
    I have read so much here about this and it seems that people would rather see RIM go bankrupt than to be acquired by a foreign company. This is a strange view to hold considering that RIM is such a big employer in Canada.
    I've noticed that as well, maybe that would be from people who got a bad experience and are being emotional on this instead of rational. By rational, I mean that it would be better for RIM to still exist as there is a better chance to keep more choices for us consumers(I know this has been said a lot but I still believe in this).

I've been looking into buying RIM's too for a while now... I just think that this will probably get a bit closer to $10 so I'd rather wait a couple months.
    And for the stock raise, I think there is too much hate for now, which will probably continue for a year... then it could go back up.
    12-04-11 12:41 PM
    RIM going bankrupt or being acquired by another company would both have the same effect on Canadian jobs. i.e. all Canadian jobs would go bye-bye.

Canadian have seen the brain drain go south of the border too many times in the past to pretend that any big American company would want to keep any jobs in Canada.
    12-04-11 04:08 PM
    If I was to invest in RIM. Would you guys say it'd be better to wait until the 15th/16th after the quarterly results? Or should I just hop on that train right now?
    I'd wait until the stock is on its way up in price and not down. You should also educate yourself on the company's earnings, profits, sales growth and volume action. I wouldn't touch Rimm's stock with a 10ft pole right now. It's not a strong/healthy stock. If you need proof just look at its free fall from feb/march to the present.
    Last edited by MartyMcfly; 06-28-13 at 06:33 PM.
    12-04-11 05:15 PM
113,256 ... 34567 ...