View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    So the idea of an IPO for the IoT Business is out the door... that didn't last too long (didn't really make any sense). But in the end I can't see any path that creates more shareholder value by just separating the two divisions. If anything that will undo a lot of the admirative cost savings Chen has been doing. And there will be some crossing licensing they'll have to put numbers on in order to be fully independent from one another. So in the end more operating costs as a whole, but no clear view of how this helps revenues.

It's not like either of these are huge multi-billion dollar divisions that need to be split up for management sake. All I see is this will make it much simpler for them to sell off one or both of these separate divisions.

As for the appointment of Giamatteo as CEO, and Lynch staying on as the Chairman of the Board - in house musical chairs that I don't see as meaning much for shareholders.
    12-11-23 03:52 PM
    It's strange that Internet of Things and Cybersecurity don't go together naturally. As more and more things get interconnected there should be ever greater demand for making the connections secure.
    12-11-23 03:55 PM
    It's strange that Internet of Things and Cybersecurity don't go together naturally. As more and more things get interconnected there should be ever greater demand for making the connections secure.
    Thing is they don't have much of a IoT business... they have a car software business, which is very different from Cybersecurity, at least on the sales side.
    12-11-23 04:00 PM
    Earning are today.... don't expect much either in the earnings or comments from the new CEO.

Think the old CEO already stated that the deals they were working, would not show up till the end of the fiscal year (if ever). Only new info might be in the form of some new deal on long term operating capital, as Prem's last deal was rather short term... likly to meet the needs till the IPO that's now been canceled went live.
    12-20-23 11:35 AM
    Yup, tempered interest from me, I'll listen to the report, mainly to see what this new guy has to say.

Cautiously optimistic because why put JG in the hot seat if it's bad, when they could have just left **** there to weather the storm, then move him out. Obviously today's results will have little direct effect from JG, given that he's only been running the show a few weeks - and that these things take years to change. Even the next 12 Qs will have a heavy Chen influence. That said, the market is unforgiving, and a big miss would be far better to have attributable to the interim guy vs JG.

Second, the fact that the loan is for such a short time, at such under market rates. They must be very confident that they can hold their own by the latest May.

Third, I take the cancelling of the IPO as a good sign too, as it also indicates that the money *for reasons* will no longer be needed.

I also never understood how an IPO would generate value, doubling reporting and admin structures, but no direct increase in revs. Sort of the opposite of a buy out when duplicate structures get axed increasing efficiency for all. At the same time, it's like talking about how dividends generate value, they don't, yet sometimes the market will award a premium to a stock that does or does not for whatever reason.

Nah, I think the IPO wasn't about generating value, as much as recognizing value. Many stocks with worse metrics than BB are valued on much rosier terms. Of course, they don't have BB's... um ... "history", so I think the idea was to try and distance itself from that, and get at least a better stock price.
    Redzinaldas likes this.
    12-20-23 12:39 PM
    I guess the worst thing is their outlook for next quarter is a lot less rosy than Chen had been predicting.

And I agree, don't understand the moving around of the deck chairs... two companies would seem to be much more costly to operate. I do see how some decisions at the top, and focusing more on one side of the business has hurt the other side. BlackBerry bought QNX in order to make BB10, but how much did QNX suffer for the focus on BB10 or more recently on Cyber?

Only reason I can see, is to make it easy to sell off one... or both. But that won't help anyone holding at double digits, except for Prem as he likly will need to loan them more cash and end up being part of one of the "buyers".
    12-21-23 03:52 PM
    I guess the worst thing is their outlook for next quarter is a lot less rosy than Chen had been predicting.

And I agree, don't understand the moving around of the deck chairs... two companies would seem to be much more costly to operate. I do see how some decisions at the top, and focusing more on one side of the business has hurt the other side. BlackBerry bought QNX in order to make BB10, but how much did QNX suffer for the focus on BB10 or more recently on Cyber?

Only reason I can see, is to make it easy to sell off one... or both. But that won't help anyone holding at double digits, except for Prem as he likly will need to loan them more cash and end up being part of one of the "buyers".
    That was sort of my take from the get go. If you have a farm, and draw a line down the middle, and now instead of looking at total costs and total outputs, look at two sets of costs, and two sets of outputs, nothing is generated. Is only useful if you want to know which one of the arms is cancerous to cut off. - To that end it was already largely demarcated. Why go to the expense of doing so further?

Q3 I was happy with. The disastrous Q4 guidance is where people I think were concerned. One potential outcome which seems to tick the boxes, is that outside of gov't or other regulated industries, CS like phone hardware has been commoditized. Big players like MS will give it away for free leaving only a residue of slow-no growth, barely profitable big players like the Malaysian gov't.

Make it it's own company, sell it off to Veritas which likes that sort of boring gov't stuff. clean break, get a billion dollars, put it into IoT/IVY, and grow like a weed.

That of course is all speculation, but it ticks the boxes to what they're doing. Trundling along with a lumpy break even at best CS arm, which overshadows a much smaller, but growing and profitable IoT arm isn't helping anyone.
    12-21-23 06:24 PM
    I guess PW will never sell. It's not his money there. And the poor Q4 outlook is made to be overcome.
    How do you see the next evolution of SP these days?
    12-21-23 11:43 PM
    I haven't posted on crackberry in over 10 years, It's good to see this thread is still going. I sold all my shares many years ago, at a lost..lol. but I bought Alibaba and gain all my loss plus gains. I had the BBM Channel "Blackberry Stock and News"
    dusdal likes this.
    12-28-23 07:50 PM
    That was sort of my take from the get go. If you have a farm, and draw a line down the middle, and now instead of looking at total costs and total outputs, look at two sets of costs, and two sets of outputs, nothing is generated. Is only useful if you want to know which one of the arms is cancerous to cut off. - To that end it was already largely demarcated. Why go to the expense of doing so further?

Q3 I was happy with. The disastrous Q4 guidance is where people I think were concerned. One potential outcome which seems to tick the boxes, is that outside of gov't or other regulated industries, CS like phone hardware has been commoditized. Big players like MS will give it away for free leaving only a residue of slow-no growth, barely profitable big players like the Malaysian gov't.

Make it it's own company, sell it off to Veritas which likes that sort of boring gov't stuff. clean break, get a billion dollars, put it into IoT/IVY, and grow like a weed.

That of course is all speculation, but it ticks the boxes to what they're doing. Trundling along with a lumpy break even at best CS arm, which overshadows a much smaller, but growing and profitable IoT arm isn't helping anyone.
    IoT Revenue is tracking to be less this year than last year.... so how is it growing?

In the end I think IVY is just what App_Developer said it was.... something that most auto makers have already been working on. Little point in throwing more money into it.
    01-02-24 02:15 PM
    https://www.stellantis.com/en/news/p...re-engineering

Stellantis (fourth largest automaker) is using QNX' Hypervisor via AWS to allow them to create virtual cockpits for design, testing and even support.

No mention of using IVY in their plans to generate nearly $22 billion by 2030 from software services and subscriptions, or how much BlackBerry is used in their own in-house built software used in their actual vehicles.

Personally I'm skeptical about how much auto markers will be able to get in services and subscriptions fees, on top of their already up their sticker prices. I love heated seats, advanced cruise control, auto high beams, and ability to lock and unlock from a distance.... but enough to pay $50+/- a month for all of that? Most people have said they don't want to pay for these, and already some legislatures working to ban car makers from charging for hardware already built into vehicles.

Car markers are all individually spending billions on auto software (Stellantis alone announced back in 2021 they would be spending $34 Billion), in hopes of capturing more sales... and more service and subscription fees (the old BlackBerry model).
    01-11-24 11:47 AM
    Wow... down 14%.

"BlackBerry announced today that it intends to offer, subject to market and other conditions, $160 million aggregate principal amount of Convertible Senior Notes due 2029 (the "notes") in a private offering. The notes will be offered only to persons reasonably believed to be qualified institutional buyers in accordance with Rule 144A under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the "Securities Act"), and pursuant to prospectus exemptions in Canada and other jurisdictions. BlackBerry also expects to grant the initial purchasers of the notes the option to purchase, within a 13-day period beginning on, and including, the date on which the notes are first issued, up to an additional $25 million aggregate principal amount of the notes."

Needed to raise cash to pay off PW short term arrangement with BlackBerry. But details about "who" this is with and what the terms are... haven't yet been released.

Really doesn't change anything, just a new arrangement for basically an existing loan... wouldn't be surprised if it isn't too the same lender. But I guess that is what has some concerned, why not like in the past, provide all the details?
    01-24-24 07:42 AM
    This could be FifthDelta giving up the ghost here. Word is they had a rough 2023: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ckbuster-debut

Their FIFTHDELTA hedge fund that bets on rising and falling stocks lost about 13% in July, extending declines for 2023 to as much as 29% before paring year-to-date losses to 25%, people with knowledge of the matter said, asking not to be identified discussing confidential matter.
    And, mindbogglingly, has BB as their largest position at over 20% of their long portfolio (https://whalewisdom.com/filer/fifthdelta-ltd). The 35 million shares is 7x the daily average trading volume of BB. Blowing out the position could be long and/or painful.
    01-24-24 10:24 AM
    This could be FifthDelta giving up the ghost here. Word is they had a rough 2023: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ckbuster-debut

And, mindbogglingly, has BB as their largest position at over 20% of their long portfolio (https://whalewisdom.com/filer/fifthdelta-ltd). The 35 million shares is 7x the daily average trading volume of BB. Blowing out the position could be long and/or painful.
    But that was back in August... I think they would be smarter about dumping more shares, if in fact they still are.

Again I don't think it's entirely the "updated loan" per say, but the lack of details this time around... that has some spooked. One of the other sites reported this, BlackBerry basically stated they would not be filing this with the SEC or Canadian regulators.

That said, in few day's I expect it will bounce back.... still lot of people (individuals and institutional) that think IVY might be something that no one can do without.
    01-24-24 01:27 PM
    They're not registering it with the SEC because it won't be marketed and sold to the public, only qualified institutional buyers. That's all that means. The exact terms of the converts will come out as soon as the investment bank firms up the buyers.
    01-24-24 02:06 PM
    General information: The Era of Nokia Phones Comes to an End
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tech...c64291ac&ei=92
    02-02-24 03:27 PM
    General information: The Era of Nokia Phones Comes to an End
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tech...c64291ac&ei=92
    Not surprised. I mean how can a non-Chinese company compete with the likes of the Pixel A and Galaxy A5x series - with their 5 to 7 years of updates?
    Last edited by conite; 02-02-24 at 04:16 PM.
    02-02-24 03:54 PM
    Not surprised. I mean how can a non-Chinese company compete with the likes of the Pixel A and Galaxy A5x series - with their 5 to 7 years of updates?
    Most the fan fare went to those Dumb Phones that they did pretty well with for a while...

Last summer HMD Global started releasing their own inhouse branded phones... which many thought would be the end of Nokia phones. Baril said that wasn't the case, it was just them moving forward.... but as often happens, moving forward means leaving something behind.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-05-24 07:28 AM
    Everbridge.... one of BlackBerry's AtHoc competitors, and the segment current leader in critical event communications, is now involved in a $1.5 billion take-private deal.

When BlackBerry bought AtHoc back in 2015 they seemed to be the leader in that niche market. Sounded like a good fit with BBM... But under BlackBerry's thumb they are now down to around number six or seven in that market, according to The Forrester Wave. Sometimes I think BlackBerry's troubles are that they are too small and can't offer a wider range of products. But Everbridge was even smaller back in 2015, and managed to grow their business within a specific niche of products... while AtHoc faded. Sure seems like a missed opportunity under Chen's watchful gaze. Of course while Everbridge has grown to pulling in between $110 to $120 million a quarter on their narrow product offerings, they are burning cash and thus the willingness to accept an offer. So Cyber and SaaS isn't working out great for others besides BlackBerry.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-07-24 11:20 AM
    Prem Watsa is stepping down from the Board of Directors, as of February 15th... https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...d-of-directors
    02-08-24 09:02 AM
    Prem Watsa is stepping down from the Board of Directors, as of February 15th... https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...d-of-directors
    This must mean they are going to release a new keyboard phone!

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk
    Milaniskochobot likes this.
    02-08-24 08:47 PM
    This must mean they are going to release a new keyboard phone!

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'm sure that's it....

Do wonder... is he just over it? Or is there something he is planning and he isn't allowed to be on the board, if he is part of a major purchase of assets?
    02-09-24 07:04 AM
    Two upcoming 3rd party investor Events that BlackBerry will be participating in.... both are Auto Events.

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...nvestor-events
    02-09-24 11:13 AM
    BlackBerry announced they "plan" to return to positive cashflow by fourth quarter of it's 2025 financial year. The company has targeted nearly $100 Million in annualized net profit improvements (cuts).

Part of this is they have already cut around 200 jobs, but anticipate further job losses within it's cybersecurity business.... both as they scale back that business and as they prepare to separate Cyber and IoT business from one another. That puts them under three thousand employee across all their business.

They also are closing six of their thirty-six global office locations.

Of course what they didn't say is how that affects future revenue prospects... Chen was the master of cost cutting, and just in his last year he made some big cuts in Administration and Sales, after his attempts to rebuild these back up a couple of years ago... in order to improve their sales efforts. I just don't think there is any "fat" to easily cut from BlackBerry... but you do what you have to do.

I looked at one competitor.... CrowdStrike they have nearly 8K employees, and they just do Cyber. Of course CrowdStrike is now the leader on Gartner Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection. Really no longer a fair comparison, as BlackBerry/Cylance.... are no longer even among the sixteen players that Gartner bothers to track for End Point Protection.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-14-24 09:18 AM
    Well Malikie Innovations Limited is starting to try and monetize some of those BlackBerry patents they bought... going after Acer and ASUS in Eastern District of Texas. I guess we need to hope this patent troll does well with these, if BlackBerry is to see the additional $30 million....

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/te...cv00178/228714

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/te...cv00179/228719
    03-18-24 10:36 AM
113,256 ... 4528452945304531