Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    PR:
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...825499241.html
    S&P Dow Jones Indices Announces Changes to the S&P/TSX Composite Index and S&P/TSX 60 Index

BB deleted from S&P/TSX 60 INDEX – June 22, 2020
    So any index funds tracking index have to unload BlackBerry shares
    06-13-20 01:52 AM
    PR:
    S&P Dow Jones Indices Announces Changes to the S&P/TSX Composite Index and S&P/TSX 60 Index

Well, if you decide to keep reaching for the "we can't make profits" level of performance, these events will happen. Clearly, Blackberry has been deemed as no longer reflecting a typical technology industry player but is now perceived as an aberration.

Hard not to agree with that assessment.
    06-14-20 04:25 PM
    Well, if you decide to keep reaching for the "we can't make profits" level of performance, these events will happen. Clearly, Blackberry has been deemed as no longer reflecting a typical technology industry player but is now perceived as an aberration.

Hard not to agree with that assessment.
    Actually, it's simply based on market capitalization, trading volume and share marginability. That's so institutions can easily match indexes and strategies based on those indexes plus hedging capabilities. I'm pretty sure the loss of marginability status was the primary driver.
    06-14-20 04:30 PM
    Actually, it's simply based on market capitalization, trading volume and share marginability. That's so institutions can easily match indexes and strategies based on those indexes plus hedging capabilities. I'm pretty sure the loss of marginability status was the primary driver.

So one step closer on the path to privatization?

Drop by an S&P... Couple so-so ERs... throw in a pandemic that's going to get a lot worse. Premium might be $4 a share by the time he makes his move later this year or early next year.
    06-15-20 07:14 AM
    So one step closer on the path to privatization?

Drop by an S&P... Couple so-so ERs... throw in a pandemic that's going to get a lot worse. Premium might be $4 a share by the time he makes his move later this year or early next year.
    Agreed since any institutional holders that only had shares required as part of tracking index will unload shares at 06/22 dropping.
    06-15-20 09:23 AM
    PR:

Just want to quickly point out that among the top 20 fund holders, which collectively owned ~18% per Morningstar, 3 funds are most likely owning Canadian shares that could potentially be impacted. The 3 funds are iShares S&P/TSX 60 ETF, iShares S&P/TSX Capped Info Tech ETF, and Mackenzie Maximum Divers Can ETF. The total ownership is ~1%.
    As for institutions that are among the top 20 holders, Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board and Bank of Nova Scotia, which collectively own ~4.3%, are the ones could potentially be impacted.

All in all, above identified ~5.3% of BB.

I am not trying to suggest whether the stock will go up or down, simply want to point out the facts about potential ownership change.

Also want to point out that this year is the first year many official filings are using SEC designations rather than Canadian ones, such ask 10-K (annual report as opposed to 40-F) and DEF 14A (proxy as opposed to Management Information Circular). I don't know what these changes imply though, but find the timing of change interesting.
    06-15-20 10:09 AM
    The main thing I’m curious for next week is if BB’s latest quarter is bad or horrendous.

Points of extra interest is the cylance revenue number and the ones that shows churn/increasing arpu.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 06-15-20 at 03:37 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-15-20 03:25 PM
    https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/cana...all-2020-06-15

Didn't realize that Bombardier was doing as bad as they are....

Anyway something like this makes it tough guess where thing will go before the ER.
    06-15-20 03:30 PM
    JC:
    World Digital Summit 2020
    https://channel.nikkei.co.jp/e/digitalsummit2020
    rampagingpanda and rarsen like this.
    06-15-20 03:44 PM
    PR:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301077103.html
    BlackBerry and Bell to Deliver Enhanced Mobile Threat Defense to Enterprise Customers
    06-16-20 07:55 AM
    PR:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301078472.html
    BlackBerry and Intel Partner to Stop Cryptojacking Malware
    06-17-20 07:19 AM
    PR:
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301078472.html
    BlackBerry and Intel Partner to Stop Cryptojacking Malware
    wonder what the typical revenue number for this type of a product is.
    06-17-20 01:25 PM
    Far less compared with old hardware but with the high margins, it at least produces net income.

Problem seems to be far better capitalized entrants constantly. Apple, Google and Microsoft always have known the software business obviously. It seems true government and enterprise sectors are where BlackBerry should be playing however the procurement approval cycle seems to go against it. Since it’s not what you know, but who you know and BlackBerry executives know this, it seems as if there’s a disconnect.

Prem’s strategy has too much exposure to scrutiny and information flow as public company. A security focused company should be airtight on strategy and direction. Privately held would benefit execution over public traded status and requirements.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    06-17-20 02:17 PM
    Threat Detection Technology is something Intel came up with two years ago for their upcoming chips.

I doubt there was much of a partnership, it's kinda like Qualcomm making chips with security keys in them and BlackBerry making it sound like they invented it with their BlackBerry Android Secure.

I'm sure most ESS will also provide this integration (if they don't already)... as an add on or maybe just as a "we can do this" to existing products. So it's tough to say what the potential would be. Especially when this is mostly a datacenter product, and it's unknown how many of those are using BlackBerry's software now.

It's a new feather in their cap, but what it really means????
    FeitaInc likes this.
    06-17-20 03:01 PM
    Threat Detection Technology is something Intel came up with two years ago for their upcoming chips.

I doubt there was much of a partnership, it's kinda like Qualcomm making chips with security keys in them and BlackBerry making it sound like they invented it with their BlackBerry Android Secure.

I'm sure most ESS will also provide this integration (if they don't already)... as an add on or maybe just as a "we can do this" to existing products. So it's tough to say what the potential would be. Especially when this is mostly a datacenter product, and it's unknown how many of those are using BlackBerry's software now.

It's a new feather in their cap, but what it really means????
    That Chen’s gong to announce feather boas as new product?
    06-17-20 03:06 PM
    Everyone got their helmet and body armour on for tomorrow's ER ?

I'll be in my sandbag bunker with a tin hat on for the entire day !
    06-17-20 05:03 PM

I thought it was next wednesday the 24th?
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-17-20 05:24 PM

never mind.........

I could have sworn I read the 18th !
    06-17-20 05:53 PM
    Next week could be very interesting.

22nd the removal from the S&P
    23rd General Meeting (Virtual) How will Q&A go? Do they have a handle on forecasting earnings and providing guidance?
    24th 1Q 2021 Results
    25th.... party or weep? Or just breath a sigh of relief?
    06-18-20 10:13 AM
    never mind.........

I could have sworn I read the 18th !
    You are probably thinking of the SP after JC delivers a blow out quarter!
    06-18-20 02:21 PM
    https://business.financialpost.com/t...tested-ontario

Probably won't contribute anything to the bottom line, but might be good PR longer term if the app is marked with "Secured by BlackBerry" or something like that.
    Corbu, Redzinaldas and rarsen like this.
    06-18-20 04:21 PM
    https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2020...tronics-co-ltd
    BlackBerry Delivers Zero Trust for Enterprise Mobility with Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
    06-18-20 04:56 PM
    You are probably thinking of the SP after JC delivers a blow out quarter!

I want some of what you're smoking......
    FeitaInc likes this.
    06-18-20 05:26 PM
    https://business.financialpost.com/t...tested-ontario

Probably won't contribute anything to the bottom line, but might be good PR longer term if the app is marked with "Secured by BlackBerry" or something like that.
    Living in Florida where the "curve" has ignited it's booster engine and is headed to the stratosphere.... I wish the "powers that be" would put on their big boy paints and commit to contact tracing.

The let's inform people and let them make their own choices.... is not working.

Contact Tracing is a GREAT idea (unless you already wear a lot of tin foil) and is going to be a must in the coming YEAR. Good to see a group of Canadian companies come together to get this working.
    dusdal and Rice Dawg like this.
    06-19-20 07:35 AM
    Contact tracing of some form has already been pushed to my keyone. How else does one interpret the file "contact_tracing_data_quality_record_db_xml" ? I don't recall opting in for that :-/ .
    06-19-20 08:46 AM
113,256 ... 44414442444344444445 ...