View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

699 62.41%
  • No

421 37.59%
    If previous rumours were true, then we wouldn't be hanging out in these forums tonight :-) I agree with a lot of the things you say... But there are better suited CEO's out there, imho. From looking at its stock price (well below book value), it 'seems' (that's an understatement) he has lost tremendous amounts of credibility. They need new energy, a Spark some might say. There's an investor report (posted by Corbu) that mentions JC's poor communication skills. I mean, that has to ring a bell? That's unseen, if you ask me? JC has to get it right just 1 day each quarter. And again, he does a really poor job of defending the stock price and restoring faith. Perhaps the market demands more agressive CEO's nowadays? JC is neither agressive, nor trustworthy. When is the last time that he has hit or overdelivered on sales numbers? Keep in mind, licensing is not his achievement. Those are lawyers and patent licensors extracting value from existing patents. If he had done something worthwhile with BBM or hardware, I would have given him credit for it. And BBM should still be around, in a big way. He has had since 2013, but again, the numbers never came....
    As soon as he came onboard and silenced the entire company, you can see how destroyed morale is, and how pretentious of a fool he is.

His entire team hates him, he doesn't congratulate any of his team only the NYSE guy does, he can't wait to get out of there. Why is his secretary there at the bell ringing, seems like there's an affair between them two, maybe that's why Amber Kanwar was so impressed at one point - I would highly suggest analyzing this video to get a really good idea of the destruction within the company.

A bell that was only rung because Chen spent countless money to move from Nasdaq to NYSE while laughing that they would change the name from RIM to BB, this idiot has destroyed the company while you people continue to credit and pump him as some saviour.

Absolutely disgusting, we've all lost a lot but to keep pumping considering the actual trading of the stock irrespective if the company makes pennies while actually losing in dilution of shares by paying him and his cronies countless millions for under performance and in fact degradation and destruction of the business.

https://www.facebook.com/NYSE/videos...3379345588792/

He is an arrogant, shameless, thief - ask yourself about all those non-transparent deals, this company was pulling in 19 BILLION at one point, understand sub 1 Billion now and highest margins possible while barely scraping by profits and in fact diluting shareholders instead to give him and his buddies salaries that companies with $1 Trillion market caps aren't getting.

Ask yourself who the real frauds are! Don't waste your time responding and defending my position - I've already made up my mind. Time for your to think about it, let that bell ringing be a clear picture!

04-01-20 05:30 PM
    Even the secretary can't wait to get out of there and seems awkward like let me get out of here, why am I here..

04-01-20 05:31 PM
    If previous rumours were true, then we wouldn't be hanging out in these forums tonight :-) I agree with a lot of the things you say... But there are better suited CEO's out there, imho. From looking at its stock price (well below book value), it 'seems' (that's an understatement) he has lost tremendous amounts of credibility. They need new energy, a Spark some might say. There's an investor report (posted by Corbu) that mentions JC's poor communication skills. I mean, that has to ring a bell? That's unseen, if you ask me? JC has to get it right just 1 day each quarter. And again, he does a really poor job of defending the stock price and restoring faith. Perhaps the market demands more agressive CEO's nowadays? JC is neither agressive, nor trustworthy. When is the last time that he has hit or overdelivered on sales numbers? Keep in mind, licensing is not his achievement. Those are lawyers and patent licensors extracting value from existing patents. If he had done something worthwhile with BBM or hardware, I would have given him credit for it. And BBM should still be around, in a big way. He has had since 2013, but again, the numbers never came....
    I actually do give credit to Chen for the licensing wins. That in fact is exactly the job of the CEO imo. Place the people with the right skills, in the right places, at the right time. You need to know your people intimately, know their strengths, and set all the pins up for them to get a strike. He's done that spectacularly with licensing, not sure why the other depts have such a hard go of it.

As an aside, there was nothing in Chen's voice or demeanor yesterday when he invited folks to the analyst day in a few weeks, to indicate that he might not be around then. I remember last time around they cancelled the quarterly earnings presentation, and there was a distinctive feeling in the air that something was up.
    04-01-20 05:36 PM
    OT:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52115434
    Coronavirus: Zoom under increased scrutiny as popularity soars
    The top result was working for me a few days ago, I can no longer get the page to load now. Interesting.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-8028.jpg
    FeitaInc likes this.
    04-01-20 09:35 PM
    As soon as he came onboard and silenced the entire company, you can see how destroyed morale is, and how pretentious of a fool he is.

His entire team hates him, he doesn't congratulate any of his team only the NYSE guy does, he can't wait to get out of there. Why is his secretary there at the bell ringing, seems like there's an affair between them two, maybe that's why Amber Kanwar was so impressed at one point - I would highly suggest analyzing this video to get a really good idea of the destruction within the company.

A bell that was only rung because Chen spent countless money to move from Nasdaq to NYSE while laughing that they would change the name from RIM to BB, this idiot has destroyed the company while you people continue to credit and pump him as some saviour.

Absolutely disgusting, we've all lost a lot but to keep pumping considering the actual trading of the stock irrespective if the company makes pennies while actually losing in dilution of shares by paying him and his cronies countless millions for under performance and in fact degradation and destruction of the business.

He is an arrogant, shameless, thief - ask yourself about all those non-transparent deals, this company was pulling in 19 BILLION at one point, understand sub 1 Billion now and highest margins possible while barely scraping by profits and in fact diluting shareholders instead to give him and his buddies salaries that companies with $1 Trillion market caps aren't getting.

Ask yourself who the real frauds are! Don't waste your time responding and defending my position - I've already made up my mind. Time for your to think about it, let that bell ringing be a clear picture!

Oh wow, I'm thinking you're not a big Chen fan. lol

Not sure if you're a current or former employee but I can understand working for a CEO that has excentrities which only serve to alienate and divide the senior staff. Been there and done that. Perhaps outsiders like myself could only see what we were meant to see and placed our collective hopes on a distortion.

I've not heard officially he's leaving but I would not be surprised given the stock price performance during his tenure. What worries me is; if he couldn't to do it with all his turnaround experience who can ? Seems to me that all the heavy lifting is done and all they need is a good delivery person to get the products to market with some enthusiasm and tenacity.

Well, I suppose closing in on $3 per share will be his final epitaph.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 04-01-20 at 10:08 PM.
    04-01-20 09:42 PM
    just to reiterate where I am coming from: I for one would like for JC to stay. I still think that his pay package is excessive, but there doesn't seem to be an immediate path to a stock price of $30/share and if it jumps there within the next year or two JC can get every penny. if I owned a majority stake of the company, I would have hired him for the job he does outside of the earnings call, more so than if he can make people exited on the calls. Steve Jobs famously didn't attend analyst calls and Jim Balsille read prepared remarks for the first time as he was reading them aloud on the call. that is not necessarily much of a yard stick to set, but I've listened to Satya Nadella's calls, and I'd rather watch paint dry. Is JC a great communicator? I happen to like his style, but can see why others think there's room for improvement.

that said, If he were to step down as lone CEO, I would want him to either re-institute a co-CEO structure with a brilliant and charismatic technical person who could do the coms or stay on as an active executive chairman. or said another way, I'm fine with somebody else handling coms, but I don't want a change in strategy.

To say that he isn't responsible for the licensing revenue is just silly, as he is the guy who set the strategy and hired the guy who got licensing of the ground. he is not responsible for creating the legacy IP, but he sure as heck is responsible for monetising it.

I can't but echo @EchoTango 's comment about it feeling like I have been listening to another call than others. JC basically said that they are in a financially secure position, all the ducks are lined up in a row (aka the product suite is ready and competitive), the entire sales team has been reshuffled and hand selected by him/management and that the alignment across sales teams and focus is there. They have manned up the sales team, and are continuing to do so. they are also expanding the markets they are actively pursuing (AtHoc in the private space).

JC was asked about Zoom on the call by the final guy who asked questions, and lo and behold, seems like something is in the works. Intune is probably bundled for free with office 365 -> they made the offering they had with a higher arpu compatible rather than insisting that companies change to their device management program. these are pragmatic and good choices, rather than some the tail-wagging-the-dog decisions others may have gone for.

Furthermore, I suspect that if the two major QNX payments that were delayed due to Covid-19 had come in as expected they would've beat the numbers and the conversation would have been completely different. And that is not the same as saying that "if the team that lost the game had won the game, they would've won.".

/rant
    04-02-20 01:12 AM
    Chen's done exactly what he's been paid to do. Chen was hired as requirement of getting the Fairfax bailout. No Fairfax, No BlackBerry. It's that simple. Fairfax did all this in order to protect it's stake, not anyone else's. The entire process has been legal and ethical for their shareholders and institutional consortium.
    FeitaInc, rarsen and Hazo like this.
    04-02-20 05:57 AM
    I'm not sure I can get behind that. Chen has been a disappointment in his second go round, but the middle of the storm isn't the time to change the captain, and as Chen found out the hard way, the previous guys momentum can take years to undo, before you even have a chance to leave your mark. Someone new IMO would mean at least another 5 years before any hope of a payday.

Secondly, all those analyst reports are garbage. Basically nothing of substance, and "we're reducing our target because we're reducing our P/S ratio. Because we're reducing to even further below that of BBs peers despite being already well below. Because"

Look at the stock on a yearly basis as opposed to a quarterly one. Compared to what it set out to do last year this time, and where it is now, I would say it ball park hit it's goals, with minor allowances for the virus which impacted at the end. Yet the price has shed 2/3rds. It doesn't make sense. Chen isn't doing a bad job in my opinion, but that's my conclusion after more research than probably 95% of the public/other shareholders. He's an atrocious communicator, and lacks the fire to get people excited. In a word, he's boring.

While I could potentially get behind a change in leadership if the strategy remained similar enough that they could hit the ground running building on what's been accomplished, the argument could also be made that unless there's radical change, there's really nothing to be gained be swapping out the top spot. Especially if we have to pay out Chen the $300m or whatever he was supposed to get for getting the stock above $30. We tossed a lot of money away on Heins's golden parachute, lets not do it again.

Regardless, as a lowly individual investor, regardless of what the powers that be decide, we're in the river being carried by the current at this point. It's up to the fates whether we smash on the rocks or see blue skies. (Save for selling out at 20 yr lows)
    Look at YoY without Cylance (because most of last year didn't have Cylance)... were are they? Clearly the core of BlackBerry is not doing well.

Now compare Cylance to the rest of the AI/ML Security sector. Is it a leader? Or just one of the crowd right now?

It's not working.... Yes Chen saved BlackBerry by turning it into a software company, but now they need to shed the baggage of hardware and failure. New CEO, new Name and a LOT more focus and maybe someone will be able to turn things around and offer the confidence that other "not really making money - but growing" software companies have.

But how much can they pay a new CEO? What kind of motivator, business genius and salesman are you going to get for that kind of money?

It's actually scary that Prem doesn't take BlackBerry private....
    04-02-20 07:28 AM
    04-02-20 09:21 AM
    Statement later today? Any idea of when the announcement may be made?
    04-02-20 09:44 AM
    Looking at how Zoom daily users jumped from 10 million / day in December to 200 million / day now, the decision to end BBM & BBM meetings might have been Chen's largest mistake.

https://www.businessinsider.com/blac...gs-2015-12?amp

"BlackBerry gave no reason for shuttering the service, simply stating that it would be coming to a close next year. The company offered a way for customers to transition to Zoom Communications, a rival service that deals exclusively in web-based meetings."
    rarsen likes this.
    04-02-20 10:23 AM
    Statement later today? Any idea of when the announcement may be made?
    What announcement do you refer to?
    04-02-20 10:31 AM
    What announcement do you refer to?
    CEO change
    04-02-20 10:46 AM
    CEO change
    I think it is still rumor, right? I would rather the company was sold or taken private at reasonable price. They have very good asset, and now the valuation is very attractive.
    04-02-20 11:06 AM
    Looking at how Zoom daily users jumped from 10 million / day in December to 200 million / day now, the decision to end BBM & BBM meetings might have been Chen's largest mistake.

https://www.businessinsider.com/blac...gs-2015-12?amp

"BlackBerry gave no reason for shuttering the service, simply stating that it would be coming to a close next year. The company offered a way for customers to transition to Zoom Communications, a rival service that deals exclusively in web-based meetings."
    Why.... companies and consumers weren't using it then, and wouldn't have used it today.

Unless BlackBerry had really changed it to be more like Zoom... and offered it for free for some usage. Grand Kids are using Zoom for School and Dance Classes... but only the free option that has a 40Min time out. We are only using the free version as we don't need the longer meetings or more advance features.

Of the 200 million users.... how many are paying Zoom anything? While I do expect they have see a big increase in revenues from this, I'm not sure you can expect a 2000% increase.

The mistake with BBM happened back in 2008/2010 when they didn't take it cross platform then.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    04-02-20 11:20 AM
    I've noticed a few articles regarding BB's recent Q4/FY 2020 earnings report indicating the reason for the current negativity is a lack of of a 2021 outlook and Chen's casual comments that some of their products will be negatively impacted by the current pandemic.

I wonder what they're going to say when, for example, GM will announce something like a 50% drop in consumer demand and will remain at the lover levels into the next year. It's unfortunate timing that Blackberry is one of the first companies to announce results in the middle of the pandemic and is taking the lion share of the impact for being "the cannery in the coal mine". I suspect some big companies are going to be envisorated when they report impacted results and a lowered future outlook.
    Corbu likes this.
    04-02-20 02:10 PM

To say that he isn't responsible for the licensing revenue is just silly, as he is the guy who set the strategy and hired the guy who got licensing of the ground. he is not responsible for creating the legacy IP, but he sure as heck is responsible for monetising it.

/rant
    IP licensing has had a record quarter of 108 million USD. You would expect JC to dedicate a few sentences to ''his'' team and all the efforts that they've put in?

But no. His prepared remarks:
    ''Let’s move into the business commentary. Let me start with a sentence on Licensing business. Revenue increased 9% year-over-year with better than expected performance due to some business that actually came in early.''

ONE sentence. Once again IP licensing came to the rescue, but instead of underlining what a great achievement it was from ''his'' team, he mentions that deals came in early. Could the reason be, that he's not actually THAT involved in the best performing team of his company?

I believe JC is only involved in the lawsuits that BlackBerry has filed against SNAP, Twitter and Facebook. You know, that ones that haven't really resulted in much else other than uncertainty. All the other IP licensing efforts are handled by external partners, such as Teletry, RPX Corporation, Fundamental Innovation Systems International Ltd, etc.

Analyst question:
    ''Then just quickly on the licensing strength, when we entered this year you guys were thinking that segment might be down 5% or so year-over-year and then it turned out to really surprise up 15%. I was wondering if you could kind of walk through changed throughout the year, and more importantly, did this strength come at the expense of some Fiscal ’21 licensing?''

JC answer:
    ''Yes. I like to be conservative. The problem with the—I mean it is a good business because it’s very good margin. Unfortunately, you all know very well that it’s somewhat lumpy and the timing is a little hard to predict than just kind of enterprise transactions. Because of that, I’m always conservative. I think I prefer to still plan at about a 250 mark for the FY21, and I’m hoping we’ll do better. But it is really hard to predict. Like this quarter, I didn’t expect it to come in that strong, honestly. It’s been strong for the entire year.''

''In my model, as I said in the last year, I realized that I probably don’t have a whole ton of credibility because I told everybody it was about 250. I’m going to tell you it’s going to be about 250 for the coming fiscal year, but I hope this time you will believe me a little bit more. Last year we had a lot of things, a lot of deals in play and so—and they came in through the various time of the year, so different quarters. I believe this year planning on 250 is reasonable.''

JC seems to think of himself as being conservative. I mean, he mentions it ALL the time. Then why did he miss on ESS revenue, so many times now? He's not conservative about licensing, he just doesn't know any better because he's dependent on external licensing partners. Whom are doing a great job so far, btw. They've probably saved his *** many times now. So he just holds on to 250 million USD, because that's what he's being told by these various partners, and because his lawsuits are - so far - not paying off. You really believe that JC is running a complex model for licensing revenue?? Perhaps someone should ask him about his ESS revenue ''model''.

Or wait, there was an analyst question:
    ''That’s very helpful. Thank you. I want shift gears a little bit to the Enterprise Software side. It SOUNDS like things are improving there. Can you give us a sense on whether the Enterprise Software segment grew year-over-year? Maybe you can give us a sense of how well you see your go-to-market and your channel—is it developing the way that you anticipated?''

JC answer:
    ''I don’t have the year-over-year numbers, but what I could tell you from a billings growth perspective we saw very healthy Q4, better than—double digit over Q3. That feels good.''

He NEVER seems to have the ESS numbers in front of him. He changes the reporting structure every now and then because it's underperforming. He keeps talking about billings growth, but revenue isn't there.

So no, I won't applaud JC for doing so well on the IP licensing front. I'm happy that good licensing partners are extracting value from an IP portfolio that was supposed to be worth billions of dollars. But mistakes were also made, like the transferral of BBM over to Emtek, which was a complete failure. I believe we should expect a LOT more from a CEO, than what JC has shown us so far.
    FeitaInc, Corbu, dusdal and 1 others like this.
    04-02-20 02:28 PM
    I am on my way through this podcast, and one of the key points Mr Barker makes is that cash on hand is essential for a company in todays environment (aka bear market). so just to get a better sense of BBs position and contrast it to CrowdStrike's, I went through their most most recent filings. so the idea was to get an idea of their cash position and current run rates.

what struck me was firstly that CrowdStrike business is growing much more than BB, and comparing the two lead me down a rabbit trail. the name of that rabbit trail is "Software deferred revenue acquired".

Long story short is that if company C has sold a year's worth of subscription services for 12 x, and is bought by company B after 3 of 12 months has passed, only 3 of those 12 x will be reported as revenue. B will in all likelihood not report a single of the remaining 8 x as revenue. That is unless that B is BB. This is where non-GAAP revenue comes in. Under GAAP you can't record it as revenue, but under non-GAAP you can for instance report it as an "adjustment", which is what it seems BB did Q1, Q2 & Q3 of FY2020. Then in the Q4/full year report they have gone from calling it an "adjustment" to (yeah you guessed it) "Software deferred revenue acquired". I'm not sure what caused the change in what they called it, but it was the new CFOs second quarter as CFO. Make of that what you will.

so, if you go through Q1-Q4 FY2020 it looks to me like BB Cylance revenue is USD 52 million or thereabouts for each and every quarter. (non-GAAP revenue BB Cylance Q1 = 51 million, Q2 = 51, Q3 = 53, Q4 = 51, full year = 208) no growth. no decline. dead flat. that is peculiar.

am I missing something here?
    Corbu likes this.
    04-02-20 02:37 PM
    IP licensing has had a record quarter of 108 million USD. You would expect JC to dedicate a few sentences to ''his'' team and all the efforts that they've put in?

But no. His prepared remarks:
    ''Let’s move into the business commentary. Let me start with a sentence on Licensing business. Revenue increased 9% year-over-year with better than expected performance due to some business that actually came in early.''

ONE sentence. Once again IP licensing came to the rescue, but instead of underlining what a great achievement it was from ''his'' team, he mentions that deals came in early. Could the reason be, that he's not actually THAT involved in the best performing team of his company?

I believe JC is only involved in the lawsuits that BlackBerry has filed against SNAP, Twitter and Facebook. You know, that ones that haven't really resulted in much else other than uncertainty. All the other IP licensing efforts are handled by external partners, such as Teletry, RPX Corporation, Fundamental Innovation Systems International Ltd, etc.

Analyst question:
    ''Then just quickly on the licensing strength, when we entered this year you guys were thinking that segment might be down 5% or so year-over-year and then it turned out to really surprise up 15%. I was wondering if you could kind of walk through changed throughout the year, and more importantly, did this strength come at the expense of some Fiscal ’21 licensing?''

JC answer:
    ''Yes. I like to be conservative. The problem with the—I mean it is a good business because it’s very good margin. Unfortunately, you all know very well that it’s somewhat lumpy and the timing is a little hard to predict than just kind of enterprise transactions. Because of that, I’m always conservative. I think I prefer to still plan at about a 250 mark for the FY21, and I’m hoping we’ll do better. But it is really hard to predict. Like this quarter, I didn’t expect it to come in that strong, honestly. It’s been strong for the entire year.''

''In my model, as I said in the last year, I realized that I probably don’t have a whole ton of credibility because I told everybody it was about 250. I’m going to tell you it’s going to be about 250 for the coming fiscal year, but I hope this time you will believe me a little bit more. Last year we had a lot of things, a lot of deals in play and so—and they came in through the various time of the year, so different quarters. I believe this year planning on 250 is reasonable.''

JC seems to think of himself as being conservative. I mean, he mentions it ALL the time. Then why did he miss on ESS revenue, so many times now? He's not conservative about licensing, he just doesn't know any better because he's dependent on external licensing partners. Whom are doing a great job so far, btw. They've probably saved his *** many times now. So he just holds on to 250 million USD, because that's what he's being told by these various partners, and because his lawsuits are - so far - not paying off. You really believe that JC is running a complex model for licensing revenue?? Perhaps someone should ask him about his ESS revenue ''model''.

Or wait, there was an analyst question:
    ''That’s very helpful. Thank you. I want shift gears a little bit to the Enterprise Software side. It SOUNDS like things are improving there. Can you give us a sense on whether the Enterprise Software segment grew year-over-year? Maybe you can give us a sense of how well you see your go-to-market and your channel—is it developing the way that you anticipated?''

JC answer:
    ''I don’t have the year-over-year numbers, but what I could tell you from a billings growth perspective we saw very healthy Q4, better than—double digit over Q3. That feels good.''

He NEVER seems to have the ESS numbers in front of him. He changes the reporting structure every now and then because it's underperforming. He keeps talking about billings growth, but revenue isn't there.

So no, I won't applaud JC for doing so well on the IP licensing front. I'm happy that good licensing partners are extracting value from an IP portfolio that was supposed to be worth billions of dollars. But mistakes were also made, like the transferral of BBM over to Emtek, which was a complete failure. I believe we should expect a LOT more from a CEO, than what JC has shown us so far.
    And what if the Licensing influx was a result of the ending of the deal with TCL and a one time payout for them to get out of the rest of their contract.... which is why he said it's not going to be as good next quarter. Spot lighting the end of that arrangement really would have served no purpose.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    04-02-20 02:38 PM

<snip>

IIRC, BBM Meetings was a private label version of Zoom. So going from BBM Meetings/Zoom to Zoom was a no brainer.

Even if BBM Meetings was still around who knows what kind of contractual terms would have stood in their way in today's environments.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    04-02-20 03:12 PM
    And what if the Licensing influx was a result of the ending of the deal with TCL and a one time payout for them to get out of the rest of their contract.... which is why he said it's not going to be as good next quarter. Spot lighting the end of that arrangement really would have served no purpose.
    Their deal with TCL ends August 31st 2020. If I may guess, the jump in licensing came from FISI Ltd, who settled outside of court with Apple and ZTE back in november. Also, if JC referres to licensing DEALS, I'd expect those to be royalties rather than termination fees.... anyway, TCL still has 5 months left of sales.
    Corbu and FeitaInc like this.
    04-02-20 03:45 PM
    so, if you go through Q1-Q4 FY2020 it looks to me like BB Cylance revenue is USD 52 million or thereabouts for each and every quarter. (non-GAAP revenue BB Cylance Q1 = 51 million, Q2 = 51, Q3 = 53, Q4 = 51, full year = 208) no growth. no decline. dead flat. that is peculiar.
    ARR has also been flat for Cylance. It's definitely a concern. Again this company is a tech company in transition with hardly any profits to speak of. So the expectation is they need to be growing towards something, or else the investment thesis is sort of weak.

IP Licensing is opaque and unpredictable and not really something you want invest $$ into, without a LOT more visibility than we can ever get as retail investors. IoT will be slow this year. No question about that. QNX revenue is driven in large part by how many cars are sold. ESS is suffering the same issue that mobile was going through a few years ago: commoditization.

So we cannot forget that BB intentionally put 1.2 billion chips on Cylance, plus all that opex they absorbed. That has to be the growth story. My worry is the strategy behind Cylance now. Again Chen mentioned mobile as their advantage. No, that's a very poor focus area IMO.

CrowdStrike and others are going after the MUCH more lucrative infrastructure, cloud and container protection space. That's where companies are spending money and that's where the actual security threats are and that's where the actual security wars are being fought against criminals and state entities. We are looking at CrowdStrike where I work, and so are many other people with similar enterprises. These are 7-8 figure sales opportunities and this is why CrowdStrike is growing.
    La Emperor, Corbu, _dimi_ and 1 others like this.
    04-02-20 03:51 PM
    I am on my way through this podcast, and one of the key points Mr Barker makes is that cash on hand is essential for a company in todays environment (aka bear market). so just to get a better sense of BBs position and contrast it to CrowdStrike's, I went through their most most recent filings. so the idea was to get an idea of their cash position and current run rates.

what struck me was firstly that CrowdStrike business is growing much more than BB, and comparing the two lead me down a rabbit trail. the name of that rabbit trail is "Software deferred revenue acquired".

Long story short is that if company C has sold a year's worth of subscription services for 12 x, and is bought by company B after 3 of 12 months has passed, only 3 of those 12 x will be reported as revenue. B will in all likelihood not report a single of the remaining 8 x as revenue. That is unless that B is BB. This is where non-GAAP revenue comes in. Under GAAP you can't record it as revenue, but under non-GAAP you can for instance report it as an "adjustment", which is what it seems BB did Q1, Q2 & Q3 of FY2020. Then in the Q4/full year report they have gone from calling it an "adjustment" to (yeah you guessed it) "Software deferred revenue acquired". I'm not sure what caused the change in what they called it, but it was the new CFOs second quarter as CFO. Make of that what you will.

am I missing something here?
    You are correct. It is why I am also very frustrated about it. Chen always say biz is good for cylance, lots of pipeline, etc. But did not give any outlook. Then, if we compare to Crowdsrike, they are growing crazy and outlook is still growing very fast.

Similar for ESS, he always say the market grows bla bla a year. Take a look of ESS at blackberry, I Do Not see any growth in the past 2 years. He always has excuse like accounting change one year ago and people change, buy never truly admit their failure to execute.
    04-02-20 04:30 PM
    IIRC, BBM Meetings was a private label version of Zoom. So going from BBM Meetings/Zoom to Zoom was a no brainer.

Even if BBM Meetings was still around who knows what kind of contractual terms would have stood in their way in today's environments.
    Yes, that may not have been BB's decision at all. I think Zoom doesn't have any white label customers now.

BBM Meetings was definitely Zoom. I remember when I first used it and somewhere it still said "Go to Zoom Meeting"
    04-02-20 04:39 PM
    Carahsoft Technology Corp., Reston, Virginia, is awarded $4,183,518 for a firm-fixed-price blanket purchase agreement (BPA) contract to deliver BlackBerry software licenses and renewals, software maintenance support and professional consulting services of the BlackBerry Unified Endpoint Manager (UEM). Work will be performed in but not limited to Reston, Virginia, and services will be performed at other contractor's facilities. BlackBerry UEM provides control over servers, data and devices via a supported web browser to access the service, offers trusted end-to-end security and provides for the control needed to manage all endpoints and ownership models. Expected completion date is unknown due to future task orders. Future contract actions will be issued and funds obligated as individual task orders. This BPA includes a one-year base ordering period and two one-year optional ordering periods, which if exercised, would bring the estimated cumulative value to $11,965,788. No funding will be obligated at the time of award. This BPA was issued against Carahsoft's General Services Administration (GSA) Schedule 70 Contract GS-35F-0119Y and was competitively procured with quotations solicited via GSA's eBUY Portal from all GSA 70 holders whose scheduled contracts include the relevant special item numbers as specified in the request for quotation. The government received four quotations in response to the solicitation. The Naval Information Warfare Systems Command, San Diego, California, is the contracting activity (N00039-20-A-0003).

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Con...icle/2135175//
    Corbu, tdovey, La Emperor and 6 others like this.
    04-02-20 04:52 PM
111,190 ... 44244425442644274428 ...