Voters
1120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

699 62.41%
  • No

421 37.59%
    TSLA:
    https://electrek.co/2020/02/17/tesla...ver-toyota-vw/

“The real reason for holding off? Automakers worry that computers like Tesla’s will render obsolete the parts supply chains they have cultivated over decades, the engineer said. Such systems will drastically cut the number of electronic control units, or ECUs, in cars. For suppliers that depend on these components, and their employees, this is a matter of life and death.”
    rarsen likes this.
    02-17-20 01:01 PM
    TSLA:
    https://electrek.co/2020/02/17/tesla...ver-toyota-vw/

“The real reason for holding off? Automakers worry that computers like Tesla’s will render obsolete the parts supply chains they have cultivated over decades, the engineer said. Such systems will drastically cut the number of electronic control units, or ECUs, in cars. For suppliers that depend on these components, and their employees, this is a matter of life and death.”
    It is crazy how much Tesla has disrupted the traditional automakers... which is why 2019 they sold more cars than 2018 and 2017 combined. But still nothing compared to major automakers....

Of note, Samsung is the one making the chips for Tesla's Autopilot Hardware 3.0. The design came from a guy that once worked for Apple, but now works for Tesla.

As for software (not QNX)... the Model 3 came out in 2017, it has gotten 124 OTA updates (up to Jan 2020). Ford is suppose to start offering regular OTA updates this year, GM won't have these till 2023. And even then these might only be for the main ECU's that the Automaker installs, traditional automakers use many subsystems that might have different OS on them and might be out of the OTA update loop. Think old PC days - Microsoft use to only update the OS (Windows), you had to contact each component hardware manufacture to get updated firmware and drivers. Tesla is working to bring all these subsystems under one ECU and one operating system... and even one supplier - Tesla. Be like DELL making the hardware and providing the OS... just one nice and neat update package.

Do think QNX is designed to provide the functionality with it's hypervisor... it the issue of all these separate system suppliers want to make a "complete" system and get as much value as they can.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-17-20 01:31 PM
    Just make sure that bid comes in at somewhere north of USD30 per share.
    I fully agree.

However with the stock near its record low (around $7USD) it's kind of hard to even get to $30. I suspect $15 would be the "walk-away" bid from Google and who could blame them?

This is the consequence of not "pulling a finger out" and getting it done !
    02-17-20 03:13 PM
    I fully agree.

However with the stock near its record low (around $7USD) it's kind of hard to even get to $30. I suspect $15 would be the "walk-away" bid from Google and who could blame them?

I don't think anyone wants "BlackBerry" as a whole, even as small and compact as it is now.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/gia...ry-51581534218

But I can see PREM and the other big shareholder that now have a clear majority... taking the company private, and then finding the best way to monetize the different assets.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-17-20 03:37 PM
    I fully agree.

Yeah, I agree with 30 being a moonshot.

If the price went up a bit, and egos got involved, I can see BB being sold for usd 29.99 a share. (Aka one cent short of JCs windfall bonus goal. )
    rarsen likes this.
    02-17-20 03:39 PM

But I can see PREM and the other big shareholder that now have a clear majority... taking the company private, and then finding the best way to monetize the different assets.
    There is always a chance this might happen, but the major shareholders (the buyers) would have to make the minority shareholders relatively happy or risk a shareholder oppression class action lawsuit. Also, there is a timing issue that as soon as there is even a whiff of a private buyout the stock will soar (well as much as BBY can soar lol !) and that plus possibly a small premium will end up being the takeout price.

So, they risk paying too much should there be a big speculative run on the stock.

In any case, we have never seen any privatization mentions on any communications or on any earnings call.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    02-17-20 08:41 PM
    There is always a chance this might happen, but the major shareholders (the buyers) would have to make the minority shareholders relatively happy or risk a shareholder oppression class action lawsuit. Also, there is a timing issue that as soon as there is even a whiff of a private buyout the stock will soar (well as much as BBY can soar lol !) and that plus possibly a small premium will end up being the takeout price.

So, they risk paying too much should there be a big speculative run on the stock.

In any case, we have never seen any privatization mentions on any communications or on any earnings call.
    They don’t have to do anything but meet the regulatory criteria for buying out publicly traded companies. The biggest hurdle by far is majority vote.

Offer is made and either accepted by vote or the price of BB will plummet unless white knight emerges. Since Prem was the white knight last time. I don’t think it would happen this go around. I’d see Prem successful taking it private with institutional support in $9-12 USD range based on current valuation.
    FeitaInc and rarsen like this.
    02-18-20 07:27 AM
    On the technical side BB has been for the last few years a fairly consistent RSI play. Here we are yet again as BB has bounced off RSI=74 and is currently sitting at RSI=35. It consistently ping-pongs between, roughly, RSI=30 and RSI=70.
    While I suppose that's technically true, it's hasn't been a particularly good strategy for actually making money in the last two years. There are two components to RSI, both price and time. An increasing RSI doesn't necessarily mean the price is going up, it could just be that it's not going down as fast. There are at least half a dozen sub 30 RSI entry points in the last two years that had you bought at, you would have done nothing but thrown good money after bad, as it simply languishes for long enough to get the RSI back above 50, maybe seeing a small bump, only to repeat the precipitous decline. If you were able to make money on all those 10% bumps by following the RSI, while the stock as a whole bled close to 70% of it's value, well then I tip my hat to you sir.

I've never seen anything convincing about technical analysis, and while it's predictive prowess does occasionally work, so does throwing a dart at a board. No one has been able to tell me specifically *when* TA is due to succeed, and when it is not.

Case in point. Despite asking before and researching myself, I've never been able to come up with a satisfactory response as to why the frequently parroted adage that "all gaps must be filled" is true. While the current one from the last ER did happen to get filled a few days ago (and bouncing off it nicely today!) what about the gap down from $97 to $77 in late Sept '08? When will that be filled? Then almost a year later exactly, it gapped down from $83 to $70. Still waiting for that one as well. Finally Sept '11, once again, from $29 to $24. While this was all before I was involved in BB, why is TA true now, but wasn't then? And this is just a quick sampling based on a few obvious drops I picked off a chart. I imagine there are probably more, both going up and down.
    02-18-20 09:07 AM
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301007285.html

BlackBerry Cylance 2020 Annual Threat Report Reveals Scope of Global Attack Surface Expansion
    Corbu, dusdal, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    02-19-20 08:38 AM
    Today, Everbridge is worth more than BlackBerry.. up more than 13%

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/everb...210500169.html
    Corbu, rarsen and JLagoon like this.
    02-19-20 03:23 PM
    I do agree it's crazy the valuation of some of these new small tech companies with negative cash flow....
    Or how Cylance valuation just disapered while their contemporaries are worth more than all of BlackBerry and Cylance combined.

But the bottom line is without Cylance.... we'd be looking at a $4 a share stock. The UEM business was faltering, you might buy it was all a simple issue with the sales team - I don't.

Think QNX is solid, but it is tiny and isn't really growing all that fast... and at this point I'm doubting the idea of them really increasing licensing by many multiplies. And now that I see what Tesla (with Linux not QNX) is doing.... one ECU that runs everything the UI, and all the sub-systems. And how other auto makers are looking to follow suite. I don't hold out much hope for QNX ever getting the 10 or 15 licenses per car they talked about at one time... explains why Chen stopped bring it up. They might get two, one for the primary ECU and one for the backup ECU... that's it. And that's probably less than they get now. Hopefully they'll find some space in medical or industrial IoT to keep them moving forward. But I don't see leaps and bound.

So a lot riding on Cylance and how much it can grow and how much it can help the UEM to stay relevant.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 02-20-20 at 07:50 AM.
    02-19-20 03:55 PM

What is BlackBerry QNX doing in the new Land Rover Defender? Engineer Steve Olsen helps break down just what is going on under the covers w/r/t the technology inside a modern connected vehicle.
    rarsen, smithm565 and FeitaInc like this.
    02-20-20 07:32 AM
    For those with interest in Security and Privacy:

Cybersecurity: Hacking victims are uncovering cyberattacks faster - and GDPR is the reason why
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/cybers...24037827013043

And what happens in Vegas don't always stay in Vegas...
    Exclusive: Details of 10.6 million MGM hotel guests posted on a hacking forum
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/exclus...24037827013043
    The MGM data dump that was shared today contains personal details for 10,683,188 former hotel guests. Included in the leaked files are personal details such as full names, home addresses, phone numbers, emails, and dates of birth.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    02-20-20 09:45 AM
    For those with interest in Security and Privacy:

Cybersecurity: Hacking victims are uncovering cyberattacks faster - and GDPR is the reason why
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/cybers...24037827013043

And what happens in Vegas don't always stay in Vegas...
    Exclusive: Details of 10.6 million MGM hotel guests posted on a hacking forum
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/exclus...24037827013043
    The MGM data dump that was shared today contains personal details for 10,683,188 former hotel guests. Included in the leaked files are personal details such as full names, home addresses, phone numbers, emails, and dates of birth.
    Little different... but if you use Chrome and allow it to save your passwords. Your Google Account can now do a Password Checkup.

1) Checks for accounts that have reported data breaches..... one that I had to change was BlackBerry.com, as well as a few others that I was kinda surprised about. But then some of these accounts have existed as is for over a decade.
    2) Reused Passwords... we all do it, but we shouldn't (I had almost 200 shared passwords). If someone in the first category got your email and password.... how many other sites might they then get access to.
    3) Weak Passwords....
    FeitaInc and techvisor like this.
    02-20-20 10:21 AM
    EYPT down 27%. Yay..
    02-21-20 12:31 PM
    02-21-20 04:39 PM
    Looks to be a non event..
    02-21-20 05:17 PM
    Looks to be a non event..
    Perhaps, but I was surprised that Stuart McClure is eligible for all his alloted shares considered he left.

This would help explain the rationale for the issuance:

"As a condition to the Merger, Stuart McClure and Ryan Permeh (the “Selling Shareholders”) entered into an exchange agreement with BlackBerry (the “Exchange Agreement”) pursuant to which they agreed to contribute 20% of their shares of Cylance common stock to BlackBerry in exchange for the issuance of shares of BlackBerry common stock over a period of three years from the completion of the Merger."
    rarsen, La Emperor and Corbu like this.
    02-22-20 06:23 AM
    Perhaps, but I was surprised that Stuart McClure is eligible for all his alloted shares considered he left.

This would help explain the rationale for the issuance:

"As a condition to the Merger, Stuart McClure and Ryan Permeh (the “Selling Shareholders”) entered into an exchange agreement with BlackBerry (the “Exchange Agreement”) pursuant to which they agreed to contribute 20% of their shares of Cylance common stock to BlackBerry in exchange for the issuance of shares of BlackBerry common stock over a period of three years from the completion of the Merger."
    This brings up another related point. Does anyone know if Blackberry is still issuing (printing) more stock or are they using an existing reserve pool ?
    02-22-20 11:34 AM
    I've never seen anything convincing about technical analysis, and while it's predictive prowess does occasionally work, so does throwing a dart at a board. No one has been able to tell me specifically *when* TA is due to succeed, and when it is not.

Case in point. Despite asking before and researching myself, I've never been able to come up with a satisfactory response as to why the frequently parroted adage that "all gaps must be filled" is true. While the current one from the last ER did happen to get filled a few days ago (and bouncing off it nicely today!) what about the gap down from $97 to $77 in late Sept '08? When will that be filled? Then almost a year later exactly, it gapped down from $83 to $70. Still waiting for that one as well. Finally Sept '11, once again, from $29 to $24. While this was all before I was involved in BB, why is TA true now, but wasn't then? And this is just a quick sampling based on a few obvious drops I picked off a chart. I imagine there are probably more, both going up and down.
    I agree with this 100%. I lot of TA OMG stories are told after the fact and amount to cherry-picking.

On "all gaps must be filled"... Look at https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...-to-bankruptcy

I'm really enjoying Robson's book "The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Do Dumb Things"
    rarsen, EchoTango and FeitaInc like this.
    02-22-20 07:47 PM
    Weekend reading for general information on efforts to obtain US G5 technology radio bands:

The Pentagon Is Sitting on a Chunk of Valuable Airwaves. Why?
    https://www.politico.com/news/agenda...=pocket-newtab
    As they bicker, Chinese companies aren’t waiting ... and U.S. producers fear that they’re being shut out of a quickly developing new technology by their own government. Even if the Pentagon finds a way to free up some of the territory, China’s growing head start may mean it’s already too late.
    02-23-20 07:24 PM
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301009651.html
    BlackBerry Delivers Zero Trust Architecture Through BlackBerry Spark Platform for Unified Endpoint Security and Unified Endpoint Management

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 24, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- RSA CONFERENCE 2020 -- BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today announced the BlackBerry Spark® platform with a new unified endpoint security (UES) layer which can work with BlackBerry® unified endpoint management (UEM) to deliver zero trust security. Leveraging artificial intelligence, machine learning and automation, BlackBerry Spark now offers improved cyberthreat prevention and remediation, and provides visibility across desktop, mobile, server, and IoT (including automotive) endpoints.

fanBBRY, rarsen, smithm565 and 3 others like this.
    02-24-20 07:15 AM
    BlackBerry Delivers Zero Trust Architecture Through BlackBerry Spark Platform for Unified Endpoint Security and Unified Endpoint Management

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 24, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- RSA CONFERENCE 2020 -- BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) today announced the BlackBerry Spark® platform with a new unified endpoint security (UES) layer which can work with BlackBerry® unified endpoint management (UEM) to deliver zero trust security. Leveraging artificial intelligence, machine learning and automation, BlackBerry Spark now offers improved cyberthreat prevention and remediation, and provides visibility across desktop, mobile, server, and IoT (including automotive) endpoints.

So, SPARK is finally here at long last to save the flagging ESS division and even within Q4 and FY2020. I've speculated many enterprise customers and prospects have delayed purchases in anticipation of this product suite's availability. If accurate, we should see a upturn in revenues in the ESS division beginning in Q4 and on into Q1. I know Q4 is about to close but we still should hear some early indications on the upcoming earnings call.

I'm wondering further as to how this product set compares to the included "free" offerings of Microsoft, Apple, Open Source and others which are likely to be the main competitors for this product. If it cannot materially differentiate itself from these products, it's fate is pretty much sealed.
    02-24-20 09:30 AM
    So, SPARK is finally here at long last to save the flagging ESS division and even within Q4 and FY2020. I've speculated many enterprise customers and prospects have delayed purchases in anticipation of this product suite's availability. If accurate, we should see a upturn in revenues in the ESS division beginning in Q4 and on into Q1. I know Q4 is about to close but we still should hear some early indications on the upcoming earnings call.

I'm wondering further as to how this product set compares to the included "free" offerings of Microsoft, Apple, Open Source and others which are likely to be the main competitors for this product. If it cannot materially differentiate itself from these products, it's fate is pretty much sealed.
    Apple has a endpoint protection or management security solutions?

Who BlackBerry needs to worry about...
    IBM
    VMware
    Citrix
    SOTI
    Microsoft
    Sophos Mobile
    MobileIron
    Symantec
    CrowdStrike
    Cisco
    .... and a dozen others.

If you go read reviews on BlackBerry current offerings... biggest issue is lack of communications as they have been making these product changes. I suspect we are looking at almost a year before these changes get better integrated and it has an effect...
    02-24-20 10:13 AM
    This is promising:

"Works with Other UEMs
    Enterprises will have the option of using UEM products other than BlackBerry UEM to connect to the UES through published APIs made available and maintained by the UEM vendors. This allows enterprises to preserve their existing infrastructure investment while gaining the benefits from UES.

Open Ecosystem
    Enterprise and ISV developers can leverage the BlackBerry Spark SDK to easily incorporate security features into their applications."

Microsoft and VMware will have their own complete solution, but others may find it difficult to compete with the necessary investment to do so.

For BB it could be a win, because it is likely getting more difficult to have wouldbe customers switch vendors to access the latest and greatest functionality.
    fanBBRY, rarsen, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    02-24-20 11:07 AM
110,605 ... 44094410441144124413 ...