View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

699 62.41%
  • No

421 37.59%
    I’d suspect to keep similarities advantages, BlackBerry and Debentures holders will do a similar refinance like the last time. If not, I’d suspect Fairfax would be signaling exit and start unloading common shares. That wouldn’t be good for share price.
    I suspect that if Prem is good, then it will happen. The other debt holders are just along for the ride.

Fairfax controls 83% of the 3.75% bonds, and according to the covenants, I think it only takes agreement of 66% to approve a majority of relating decisions.
    Corbu likes this.
    02-08-20 12:32 PM
    I suspect that if Prem is good, then it will happen. The other debt holders are just along for the ride.

Fairfax controls 83% of the 3.75% bonds, and according to the covenants, I think it only takes agreement of 66% to approve a majority of relating decisions.
    The current structure has given effective ownership control over BlackBerry ala Buffett style.
    smithm565 likes this.
    02-08-20 12:34 PM
    Ontario Teachers Pension Plan is now BlackBerry 's third largest holder.

Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board reports 143.39% increase in ownership of BB / Blackberry Limited

February 07, 2020 - Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board has filed a 13F-HR form disclosing ownership of 19,006,539 shares of Blackberry Limited (NYSE:BB) with total holdings valued at $122,225,000 USD as of December 31, 2019. Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board had filed a previous 13F-HR on November 08, 2019 disclosing 7,809,010 shares of Blackberry Limited at a value of $40,930,000 USD. This represents a change in shares of 143.39 percent and a change in value of 198.62 percent during the quarter.

https://fintel.io/so/us/bb/ontario-t...ion-plan-board
    Last edited by W Hoa; 02-08-20 at 01:32 PM.
    Corbu, smithm565, YUUUUP and 3 others like this.
    02-08-20 12:56 PM
    I will agree on the surface that Cylance wasn't profitable, but that is likely one main reason they chose to be acquired vs. doing an IPO. I also remember reading back when BB announced this purchase, Chen stating that in discussions with Cylance executives, they shared in his vision and belief that the combination of Cylance software/personnel with BB's products (QNX, IOT, Radar, ect.) would make a superior offering to manufacturers, businesses, and governmental customers in all major segments relating to IoT & EoT.
    Well, those Cylance execs and investors also got an all cash exit and McClure and several others got to move onto their next adventure in months. That’s a way better deal than any IPO, unless you believe your company is at the beginning of a big growth phase.
    rarsen likes this.
    02-08-20 03:51 PM
    Ontario Teachers Pension Plan is now BlackBerry 's third largest holder.

Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board reports 143.39% increase in ownership of BB / Blackberry Limited

February 07, 2020 - Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board has filed a 13F-HR form disclosing ownership of 19,006,539 shares of Blackberry Limited (NYSE:BB) with total holdings valued at $122,225,000 USD as of December 31, 2019. Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board had filed a previous 13F-HR on November 08, 2019 disclosing 7,809,010 shares of Blackberry Limited at a value of $40,930,000 USD. This represents a change in shares of 143.39 percent and a change in value of 198.62 percent during the quarter.

https://fintel.io/so/us/bb/ontario-t...ion-plan-board
    Nice to see some large entities still interested in supporting Blackberry. Yes, they are probably taking advantage of the depressed value of the stock but at least they are voting with their pocket book in a relatively positive future for the company.

Now, if we could only get the teachers to......actually teach.
    Corbu, rarsen and Greened like this.
    02-08-20 04:53 PM
    Security of general interest and food for thought as password cracking presumed before usage of Quantum Computers (which is coming...):

Lenght of time before cracking passwords
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...5152818028544/
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-cracking-passwords.jpg
    howarmat, W Hoa, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    02-09-20 05:15 PM
    I will agree on the surface that Cylance wasn't profitable, but that is likely one main reason they chose to be acquired vs. doing an IPO. I also remember reading back when BB announced this purchase, Chen stating that in discussions with Cylance executives, they shared in his vision and belief that the combination of Cylance software/personnel with BB's products (QNX, IOT, Radar, ect.) would make a superior offering to manufacturers, businesses, and governmental customers in all major segments relating to IoT & EoT.

The OpEx increase seems a bit concerning, given what you have shown, that it is 85% of Q3's total rev (GAAP).
    - Q3FY20 R&D is up 20% y/y and up 19% in the 1st 9mon of FY20.
    - Q3FY20 SM&A is up 41% y/y and up 29% in the 1st 9mon of FY20.
    -while not OpEx, I would lump Cost of Sales in this as well: Q3 up 23% and up 31% in the 1st 9mon of FY20.

..but when you look at the numbers a little differently, we see that the average increase quarter/quarter for the trailing twelve months (TTM) is:
    - CoS= +7.2% q/q
    - R&D= +6.2% q/q
    - SM&A= +9.3% q/q
    **basically this flattened out the last 2 quarters

I believe, increasing R&D gives us a signal, that management feels comfortable in their financial position and is taking that opportunity to expand R&D, which should payoff down the road in higher revenues and increased profits.

Here is a good link, but a Google search on "increasing R&D spending" will produce good research info:
    https://www.industryweek.com/leaders...o-drive-growth
    Yes, the hope here, at least for me is:

1) The SM&A will fall, or at least stay put in context of rising revenues as the Cylance and BB sales efforts blend into one as the products also blend into one.

2) Similar effect for R&D and expecting last quarter having some one-off items in here for the effort to consolidate the technologies for the products we are seeing release now.
    smithm565, Corbu and JLagoon like this.
    02-10-20 02:31 AM
    Nice to see some large entities still interested in supporting Blackberry. Yes, they are probably taking advantage of the depressed value of the stock but at least they are voting with their pocket book in a relatively positive future for the company.

Now, if we could only get the teachers to......actually teach.
    Or they want to make sure they have a big enough position to be at the table if the company is taken private....
    02-10-20 10:25 AM
    Well, those Cylance execs and investors also got an all cash exit and McClure and several others got to move onto their next adventure in months. That’s a way better deal than any IPO, unless you believe your company is at the beginning of a big growth phase.
    There were also a few big names that left before BlackBerry bought them....

Pre-2017 Cylance owned that market, but bigger competitors started looking at ML/AI... one of the best ways to get caught up is the steal the talent from a tiny start-up. BlackBerry was smart when they bought Cylance... got those key players to sign Non Compete Clauses.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 02-11-20 at 08:53 AM.
    02-10-20 10:31 AM
    From Zenas, over at ST:

$BB short interest update as of Jan 30 is 30.64M vs 25.3M so an increase of 5.3M shares
    kadakn01 and rarsen like this.
    02-11-20 07:57 PM
    From Zenas, over at ST:

$BB short interest update as of Jan 30 is 30.64M vs 25.3M so an increase of 5.3M shares
    But why.... I know BB has been manipulated in the past, but I don't see that being very easy at this point.

Betting against Cylance?
    02-12-20 09:44 AM
    From Zenas, over at ST:

Yes, and why not since we're still bouncing along the bottom incapable of generating any profits. This upcoming quarter will again be another do or die event and I'm sure we're all hoping for the continued positive trajectory from the last one.

Chen has got to be getting tired of working hard for results that can only be described as mediocre.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and BanffMoose like this.
    02-12-20 09:50 AM
    But why.... I know BB has been manipulated in the past, but I don't see that being very easy at this point.

Betting against Cylance?
    Maybe not against, but people like big growth stories and they like profitable companies. BB is neither of those yet. So Cylance really does have to come through. If they don't, I could see $5 again or worse. If they do, I could see $8.

There is an option play there that I'll probably get around to figuring out in a bit...
    02-12-20 07:16 PM
    https://www.computerworld.com/articl...r-vpn-vdi.html
    BlackBerry says its new Digital Workplace eliminates need for VPN, VDI
    W Hoa, rarsen, JLagoon and 2 others like this.
    02-12-20 11:42 PM
    Fwiw

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-eqncxzewkaakfm4.jpeg
    Corbu, rarsen, JLagoon and 2 others like this.
    02-13-20 08:12 AM

There is an option play there that I'll probably get around to figuring out in a bit...
    Pretty sure there is an app for that....
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-13-20 11:00 AM
    It seems Mobile World Congress has been officially cancelled due to the coronavirus risks. While understandable, this denies Blackberry one of the major events for them to promote their message and products.

I believe the Chinese purposely engineered this virus so MWC would be cancelled to continue the war against Blackberry !
    02-13-20 05:31 PM
    It seems Mobile World Congress has been officially cancelled due to the coronavirus risks. While understandable, this denies Blackberry one of the major events for them to promote their message and products.

I believe the Chinese purposely engineered this virus so MWC would be cancelled to continue the war against Blackberry !
    Hmm...more like the US manufactured this to take down China and Blackberry! 2 birds one stone
    02-13-20 06:38 PM
    02-13-20 08:49 PM
    Thanks for keeping on top of this, dimi.
    _dimi_, rarsen and JLagoon like this.
    02-13-20 11:28 PM

Was BlackBerry going.... last time I checked they weren't registered.

But I get that you were kidding....
    EchoTango likes this.
    02-14-20 08:33 AM
    "A BlackBerry Brought D’Angelo Russell to Minnesota"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/12/s...ves-knick.html
    Rice Dawg likes this.
    02-14-20 08:38 AM

Hmm...more like the US manufactured this to take down China and Blackberry! 2 birds one stone
    Actually, the Lithuanians are behind everything as retaliation for lack of true support from the entire mobile industry. The secret agent could be @the_boon according to my sources
    02-14-20 09:41 AM

Actually, the Lithuanians are behind everything as retaliation for lack of true support from the entire mobile industry. The secret agent could be @the_boon according to my sources
    02-14-20 09:41 AM
    More the merrier... I'll have to see if I can get on their payroll too.

Between the short-sellers, Apple, Google and the NSA.... it's been very profitable.
    02-14-20 10:59 AM
110,279 ... 44074408440944104411 ...