View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    A bit quiet here this morning... I bet it would have been busier had the news been worse...
    W Hoa, YUUUUP, Redzinaldas and 9 others like this.
    12-20-19 10:04 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd (BB) CEO John Chen on Q3 2020 Results Earnings Call Transcript

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4313541?source=ansh
    12-20-19 10:07 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd (BB) CEO John Chen on Q3 2020 Results Earnings Call Transcript

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4313541?source=ansh
    Thanks, mate!
    12-20-19 10:26 AM
    Got my fat ignorance moved on.
    Have you sold your shares now, up 10% today. Prettifying good return for one day.
    rarsen, Hazo and _dimi_ like this.
    12-20-19 10:38 AM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    A bit quiet here this morning... I bet it would have been busier had the news been worse...
    Lol... super quiet before 8 am and throughout... HELLO, ANYONE LEFT!? Congrats to long time longs... perhaps there is light at
    The end of this very dark long tunnel... time will tell!!... nice that it coincided with strong day on the markets... GL... bpd
    12-20-19 10:44 AM
    This is no congratulations, still hasn't held above the previous drop from last ER, pathetic action indeed.
    12-20-19 10:47 AM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    This is no congratulations, still hasn't held above the previous drop from last ER, pathetic action indeed.
    With bbry it's all relative. Yes, it needs to go up ANOTHER 60 percent to reach last march YEARLY HIGH of $10...
    12-20-19 10:50 AM
    Come on, man... We get it.
    rarsen, smithm565 and Greened like this.
    12-20-19 10:50 AM
    With bbry it's all relative. Yes, it needs to go up ANOTHER 60 percent to reach last march YEARLY HIGH of $10...
    Take a look at the longer term, $10 was no high, at a point in time $10 was the base, noone expected it to drop below there. Market has assigned the right value - bankruptcy value, with Chen at the wheel
    12-20-19 11:28 AM
    Come on, man... We get it.
    Doesn't seem like you do to keep pumping this as a good investment when the company isn't
    12-20-19 11:28 AM
    Fairly solid quarter and tracking to well over $1B in income for the current year. Revenues where much better but profits still elude. Expenses only rose $1 million which would indicate they put the breaks on much spending. At least they seem to be tracking positively and have confirmed this will continue for the foreseeable future. However, they are still "dining at the kids table" when compared to their peers.

Still, a strong and positive performance when compared to last quarter.

I wish we could put an end the meaningless GAAP and non-GAAP discussion. They are only measurements of the same financials using different yardsticks. In the end, as long as you declare which yardstick you're using, it really doesn't matter which one you use. In my opinion, non-GAAP is usually a more accurate reflection of quarterly performance, but I do recognize it typically paints a rosier picture. Again, as long as it's declared and consistent, quarterly comparisons are very easily determined.
    rarsen, dusdal and JLagoon like this.
    12-20-19 11:48 AM
    Doesn't seem like you do to keep pumping this as a good investment when the company isn't
    What are you talking about? It hasn’t been good for 9-10 years. It’s been risky and highly speculative for 7-8 years right?
    12-20-19 11:49 AM
    I've continued to average down with this absurd market value and got it down to 8.30 CAD before the ER. Happy to see the inflection point.

There is a nice stability to this company, virtually all recurring revenue and plenty of possible catalysts.

I'm happy to sit here with what I see as quite a good benefit:risk at this point.
    rarsen, La Emperor, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    12-20-19 12:37 PM
    Facebook is looking to build an OS that is not reliant on Android. QNX would fit this nicely and scalable for different uses, such as cars, etc.

Why don't they just buy BlackBerry and give the illusion that they are interested in privacy. it seems like a perfect match.

if so, what would be the share price offered?
    That would be a nightmare!
    12-20-19 01:10 PM
    That would be a nightmare!
    Going to really make the PKB Phone obsolete.... as the are working on a brain-computer interface - "Facebook can now decode brain activity in real time, and it’s working on an intermediary system for identifying single words as it pushes toward 100 words-per-minute brain typing."

I think FaceBook is look at what comes after smartphones, not trying to go head-to-head in the smartphone areana.

But yeah... letting FaceBook read your mind and know you deepest thoughts...
    12-20-19 01:29 PM
    " Originally Posted by mutigbeere
    Facebook is looking to build an OS that is not reliant on Android. QNX would fit this nicely and scalable for different uses, such as cars, etc.

Why don't they just buy BlackBerry and give the illusion that they are interested in privacy. it seems like a perfect match.

if so, what would be the share price offered? "
    I suspect the company could be bought for $15-$18 at this point which would not, in my view, fairly reflect the "sum of parts" valuation. Unfortunately many of the the assets are either underperforming or still maturing as a product offering.

I would prefer that Facebook negotiated a bulk license to use QNX and then after some years floated a buyout offer.
    12-20-19 01:33 PM
    Everybody should look at BlackBerry through Fairfax/Prem viewpoint/perspective and evaluating the current ownership/control structure/preference of the company in regards to why things are, how they are.

Only when you understand Fairfax strategy and what’s best for their shareholders, can you calibrate your own reasonable expectations.
    12-20-19 02:00 PM
    reasonable expectations.
    Reason went out the door with the whole...."I support BBRY" idea and that anything not supporting the positive outlook was to be shunned.
    12-20-19 02:35 PM
    Reason went out the door with the whole...."I support BBRY" idea and that anything not supporting the positive outlook was to be shunned.
    I'd phrase it slightly differently. The "informed insight" on what BlackBerry was and was doing was way overweighted. We should have focused on the disconnect between what we saw and how the rest of the world saw.

I thought we had found a diamond in the rough. Didn't give proper weighting to how badly the world perceived BlackBerry and how adversely that negative perception would create headwinds for the company.
    _dimi_ and rarsen like this.
    12-20-19 03:03 PM
    RBC:

December 20, 2019

BlackBerry Limited

A near-term price floor has been set, though long-term challenges remain

Our view: BlackBerry shares are rallying today, as the company’s challenges were priced into the stock and Q3 results were “less bad”.Headlines Q3 exceeded expectations on IP licensing and the core business improved sequentially. However, Cylance’s growth continues to decelerate and ESS revenue declined Y/Y. Longer-term, BlackBerry needs to show sustained reacceleration in growth to justify a further valuation re-rating upwards. Maintain Sector Perform.
    Last edited by Corbu; 12-20-19 at 05:48 PM.
    12-20-19 04:52 PM
    Does anyone have access to Bloomberg? I'd like to know what the (exact) consensus is for total revenue this year
    12-21-19 04:05 AM
    In case you wanted the call transcript without having to go through seekingalpha https://www.blackberry.com/content/d...Transcript.pdf
    elfabio80, rarsen, Corbu and 5 others like this.
    12-21-19 04:59 AM
    I don't like this bit:
    "The Company expects BlackBerry Cylance non-GAAP revenue growth excluding BlackBerry Cybersecurity Services to be approximately 20% in fiscal 2020. The Company previously stated that it expected BlackBerry Cylance non-GAAP revenue growth excluding BlackBerry Cybersecurity Services of between 25% and 30% in fiscal 2020. The Company’s expectation has been revised due to a shortfall in anticipated contract renewals"
    (page 16)

Being that the only thing carrying revenue is licensing, which has limited predictability, and Cylance. IoT has been stagnant for a number of quarters.

Also note that current liabilities jumped significantly as the debentures were moved from long-term liabilities as they come due within one year, November 2020.
    Corbu and fanBBRY like this.
    12-21-19 05:40 PM
    OT for those with interest in Security and Privacy:

Most free WiFi hotspots in Montreal track your personal data, study finds
    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...cid=spartandhp

Automated hacking, deepfakes are going to be major cybersecurity threats in 2020
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/18/auto...s-in-2020.html
    Corbu likes this.
    12-22-19 09:07 AM
    Cylance growth is the not very good news here, when you consider how hot that market is in the world right now.

I worry that they are too focused on selling the integrated products and not enough on selling what Cylance already had (which they paid 1.4B for). Also concerned still about loss of talent there.

Everything else is a sideshow IMO. The only thing that promises $10 or $15 to me is Cylance. But not if growth is slowing.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    12-22-19 09:34 AM
113,256 ... 43984399440044014402 ...