View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

697 62.46%
  • No

419 37.54%
    We are at all time highs in Nasdak and Dow.! .. yet where is bbry during all of this?... right.. barely afloat ...this stock is more likely to drop 20 percent next ER than go up 20%, pending any hail Mary gifts from litigation. .. and that's not factoring in any major market correction.

bag holders have every right to be pissed at this company... they have squandered numerous chances to sell.. look at Nokia... they got MSFT TO BUY... WHATSAPP, ...list goes on... BBM >>> 0. , QNX... should have been sold years ago..now... wait ten years...by then Google and others will have eaten their lunch. Startup after startup has surpassed them ....while they tread water quarter after quarter ..more bag holders....

The few faithful remaining are like Linus in the cabbage patch, waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive.... lol

Only ones who love this company are shorts..... yet "turnaround complete " statements from Chen was followed by .... underperform..... credibility lost. Sorry... Bbry, you have no credibility .
    I agree that it's incredibly frustrating if you've been invested for the past years. And I won't waste your time with pointless arguments. I do agree that they've missed too many opportunities, and ESS needs to recover or we'll witness a firesale. I've taken my losses a few years ago, but I came back because, so far, they've kept their installed base (governments, banks,...) and Cylance seems to be a light-weight solution for the future. Also, I can't help but think that if BlackBerry were an American company, they could have a much larger market cap! But that's an entirely different story.
    11-16-19 02:41 PM
    Perhaps someone knows at which revenue multiples that M&A has taken place over the years? Also during market downturns. If BlackBerry hits +/- 300 million in revenue during the next 2 quarters (which they should, given their guidance numbers), and JC foresees +/- 8% in growth during 2020, then a multiple of approx. 2.5 gives the current market cap (excluding cash). It could turn out to be a long-term turnaround, but JC is no fool imo. Has he (or Steve Capelli) ever purchased stock in BB, before last month? This could be a sign.

IF ESS stabilizes, and IF their IP portfolio brings in sustainable revenues, and IF they hit their newest guidance numbers and IF they provide 'normal' growth numbers going forward, then that's a good reason for Wallstreet to give (much) better multiples. And to a stock trading this low, that could mean a world of difference. A multiple of 5-7 seems to be quite normal (which is why BB traded at 14 dollars just a few years back). So that's 10,80 to 15,24 dollars per share.

Right now, it must seem like I'm dreaming out loud, and it might as well be. But who knows.... why did they trade at 14 dollars 2 years back anyway? It's all relative.... :-)

My 2 cents....
    11-16-19 04:00 PM
    While I find dalinxz's comments to be a bit over the top, I truly don't get how you conclude BB would have been bankrupt sans Watsa's infusion.

At absolutely no point did BB have a net negative cash position. "The only reason the company didn’t file bankruptcy and liquidate assets" is actually because their liabilities never exceeded their net amount of cash, let alone assets, nor did they ever have a problem repaying them in full, let alone merely the servicing required to stave of bankruptcy .

It's like having a $200k mortgage, while having a million dollars in the bank, then arguing that mortgage is the only reason you didn't declare bankruptcy. Unless you have less than $200k in assets, and no conceivable way of even servicing the debt let alone paying it, that's the only time bankruptcy is even on the table.

Now, to that end, it could be argued as Chen has that the $1b infusion helped shore up confidence, and give potential clients/investors more reason to stay involved in the company and prevent a negative reinforcing feedback loop from taking hold. Keep in mind the $900m QCOM payment was a black swan. Had a few things gone different/worse, they very much may have needed that entire $1.2b loan, and securing it at the time was merely being prudent. You could argue it's no longer needed as BB is generating cash now, and presumably will for the foreseeable future.

I've mentioned before, but I still don't see how Watsa is laughing all the way to the bank. He's made what, $200m in interest payments optimistically? Meanwhile his $850m investment in 10% of BB has been whittled to less than a third of that. Great. Get involved with a co, lose $600m on stock, but gain a minority share of it back in interest? Well played.

Now, back to the stock it self, the Hyundai, Bosch, and Gartner things are of course good news, but it's just more of the same we've had for years and years, and we're well past the point of a company that cries "wolf!". Hell I thought even with the "couple year lead time" that was bandied about we'd start to see some actual meat from these deals around now, given that the vehicles are starting to ship, and presumably companies are using Jarvis? But still nothing. Meanwhile Chen can't even be bothered to lay out his grand vision about how he plans to get to where he wants, and how/why he's confident he'll get to where he seeks. I still have faith in this company, but I don't get why these grand announcements are made, Jarvis, Delphi, Baidu, certification after certification, spectacular reviews from the likes of Gartner et al, and that's the absolute last we ever hear of it.
    With respect to these 'announcements' one could view them as a vote of confidence to the QNX platform.

No doubt the seemingly perpetual wait for the revenue uptick is frustrating. It is ever testing the patience of the long term investor.

Transformation is happening in the automotive industry and QNX is part of that transformation.

If it wasn't for QNX, I would not be as confident in my investment in BlackBerry for the long term. It is the one spot with BlackBerry that has the potential for a very bright future.

I for one hope to see more and more of these announcements, even if material revenues do come many years down the road.
    _dimi_, Corbu, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    11-16-19 04:10 PM
    Do agree.... BBM crossplatfrom in 2009, would have been huge.
    I think Co CEO Jim was pushing for this at that time but Co CEO Mike did not agree and it was not pursued. Shame that it wasn't as that could have helped keep handsets around longer.
    11-17-19 07:55 AM
    I think Co CEO Jim was pushing for this at that time but Co CEO Mike did not agree and it was not pursued. Shame that it wasn't as that could have helped keep handsets around longer.
    How would going cross platform helped the handset business? It’s the same reason that Apple doesn’t let iMessage go cross platform.
    11-17-19 09:41 AM
    How would going cross platform helped the handset business? It’s the same reason that Apple doesn’t let iMessage go cross platform.
    How can then Messenger have such value then?
    11-17-19 10:14 AM
    If BBM went cross platform the valuation would be similar to Whatsapp. With that $ they could have invested in BBOS replacement earlier which could have changed how things played out.
    11-17-19 10:25 AM
    If BBM went cross platform the valuation would be similar to Whatsapp. With that $ they could have invested in BBOS replacement earlier which could have changed how things played out.
    It could have added valuation to share price yet it would have to have been sold off to a Facebook, Microsoft or Google to monetize that valuation. There was a time when BB market cap reflected higher price than justified. BBM did factor into that. It still wouldn’t have saved mobile hardware or mobile software for that matter.

Android was started around 2003 and purchased by Google around 2005 with questionable laughter by parts of the mobile industry. BlackBerry never had a business plan to monetize it’s new OS to replace the old BBOS SAF model. Apple had iTunes and proprietary ecosystem not just software to provide multiple revenue sources. Google had advertising, data mining and the ability to leverage developer support for that data instead of cash payments out for cash payments in. Microsoft had the business model, the cash revenues and existing mobile OS but didn’t get the developer support without the user data to share of it’s customers. It’s proprietary mobile hardware and proprietary mobile software businesses collapsed for the most part.

BlackBerry didn’t ever have anything else regarding mobile phones after BBOS was built to replace it’s methods of monetization. Zero, nada, zip. BBAndroid would have been the next logical play in 2008-2008 onto proprietary devices. Just like Motorola, and then Google itself, BlackBerry would still eventually give up mobile hardware. Even now, Google hardware is struggling to find it’s way onto carrier sold platforms and struggling even more to be sold against the biggest third party OEMs that it doesn’t want to lose anyway.
    11-17-19 10:48 AM
    IP

https://www.iam-media.com/law-policy...ion-will-shift

Legal landscape more rational now but will shift back, says Facebook IP supremo

Pull together a group of senior IP executives and gauge their opinion on the strength of patent rights and you can expect some marked differences, particularly with regards to the state of play in the US. The message from many in Silicon Valley is more likely to be fairly positive - and that was certainly the takeaway yesterday from Facebook’s IP supremo Allen Lo, speaking at the IP Dealmakers Forum in New York.

Lo described the legal landscape as having moved “arguably in a more rational direction”, before adding that he expected it to shift back, although not to the same kind of regime for rights holders as 10 years ago. “We’re starting to figure out what the steady state is, within some range,” he added.

Lo was taking part in a panel on the state of the global IP market together with Microsoft’s Micky Minhas, Intellectual Ventures executive Greg Kisor and Kathatine Wolanyk from Burford Capital. It was moderated by Kent Richardson of Richardson Oliver Insights.

The group touched on a wide variety areas of including the state of the secondary deals market, how protagonists have become more sophisticated and the more philosophical question of whether the market has become friendlier (not so much friendly but more complex was the answer to that one).

According to Lo, the current state of play, with the strength of patent rights still at a relatively low level, means that it could be a good time to be a licensee – ie, get your deals done now before legal or policy changes shift the pendulum back in the other direction.

While the state of play among the largest IP owners and licensees in the tech space had, Lo commented, become relatively settled the question that he posed was to what extent that would remain the case as new entrants emerged in various sectors. “The question is who are the new players coming in, who are the new generators of patents, the innovators and what are their expectations with regards to licensing and who are the new operating companies who aren’t that sophisticated and don’t have huge teams to negotiate and transact IP?” Lo asked. “Their tolerance and willingness to pay is going to be different to the incumbent players.”

IV’s Kisor echoed Lo’s comments about now being a good time to seek a deal. “I see more companies motivated to take a licence now because there is this general feeling that maybe in a couple of years the prices will go up or the legal environment might be more favourable for patent holders,” he remarked. “So strike your licence deals because the cost might be higher in a few years.”

From the litigation funder’s perspective, Wolanyk sounded a word of caution that IP continues to be seen as a gamble. “When we take patent matters to our investment committee they still regard them as the highest risk investment that we look at,” she commented. “We don’t think it’s suddenly going to become great for patents again – the law has changed substantially and maybe a few things get changed on the 101 front - but our investment committee looks at opportunities in patent cases compared with other areas and they think patent law is nuts.”
    Last edited by Corbu; 11-17-19 at 12:38 PM.
    11-17-19 11:53 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bb-v-twtr-settlement-discussions.png

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Paragraph of particular interest, begins line 18.

It looks like BB and TWTR dismissed this case w/o prejudice to attempt at settling.
    Greened, he_x3, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    11-17-19 09:03 PM
    The infotainment system in the new all electric Mustang looks eerily similar to a QNX concept design from a few years ago. Think it was the Bentley they showed of in 2013.

Design win -> wheels on the road = six years it seems.

Update: perhaps more precise to say “concept car” top of the pops implementation -> production car.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 11-18-19 at 07:28 AM.
    11-18-19 04:14 AM
    The infotainment system in the new all electric Mustang looks eerily similar to a QNX concept design from a few years ago. Think it was the Bentley they showed of in 2013.

Design win -> wheels on the road = six years it seems.
    It would seem so.

It runs Ford's latest QNX-based Sync 4, with an elegant and intuitive tile-based UI that shares design principles with both Tesla's and Volvo's latest infotainment systems.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/11...ustang-mach-e/
    FeitaInc, Corbu, smithm565 and 3 others like this.
    11-18-19 07:21 AM
    It would seem so.

It runs Ford's latest QNX-based Sync 4, with an elegant and intuitive tile-based UI that shares design principles with both Tesla's and Volvo's latest infotainment systems.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/11...ustang-mach-e/
    I have to say that it might just be the first Ford I would like to buy. It looks great.
    Corbu, Greened and rarsen like this.
    11-18-19 07:42 AM
    Mustang Mach-E

FeitaInc, Greened and rarsen like this.
    11-18-19 08:30 AM
    More Mustang Mach-E.

QNX Acoustics Management Platform

?
    11-18-19 11:03 AM
    More Mustang Mach-E.

QNX Acoustics Management Platform

?
    Let’s hope so @Corbu. Those arpu/arpc in the >10 usd range has been a long time coming.
    Corbu, Greened and rarsen like this.
    11-18-19 11:28 AM
    Looks like a great vehicle and a fresh new direction for Ford. Of course, I know that the team that built the Sync system are former Blackberry employees using QNX and I suspect other available development modules to round out the system. I'd be remiss in not commenting the interior looks very Model X-like with the large main screen seemingly "bolted" to the dashboard. I've always wondered why they don't better integrate that screen.

Depending on the actual range performance and the price point, I think Ford might have a winner. Now, if only Blackberry could bring out products that engender that level of excitement.
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    11-18-19 12:54 PM
    Ford Mach-E 15.5" screen:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-2021-fors-mustang-mach-e-33.jpg

QNX Bentley Concept Car (with its multipurpose physical dial):
    Ben Johnson Design Portfolio | QNX Bentley Concept Car
    La Emperor, Greened and rarsen like this.
    11-18-19 01:07 PM
    PR

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...global-network
    International Port Company ICTSI Deploys BlackBerry Cylance Technology Across Global Network
    11-18-19 08:04 PM
    BB World Tour stop in Singapore today:
    https://www.cvent.com/Events/blackbe...da4c9a5f2.aspx
    W Hoa, Redzinaldas and rarsen like this.
    11-18-19 09:24 PM
    PR

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/com...global-network
    International Port Company ICTSI Deploys BlackBerry Cylance Technology Across Global Network
    This is a bfd!
    11-18-19 09:34 PM
    PR

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300952804.html
    BlackBerry to Power Arrival's Generation 2.0 Intelligent Electric Vehicles

Arrival:
    https://arrival.com/

https://techhq.com/2019/10/arrival-i...-to-make-vans/
    W Hoa, rampagingpanda and rarsen like this.
    11-19-19 07:05 AM
    BB World Tour stop in Singapore today:
    https://www.cvent.com/Events/blackbe...da4c9a5f2.aspx
    Think BlackBerry needs to work on diversification....
    dalinxz likes this.
    11-19-19 08:44 AM
    IF only there was someone at BlackBerry who could get in touch with Disney executives  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/19/hack...o-reports.html

Posted via CB10
    11-19-19 11:22 AM
    IF only there was someone at BlackBerry who could get in touch with Disney executives  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/19/hack...o-reports.html

Posted via CB10
    Does any of BlackBerry's products deal with this type of issue.....

There are a lot of aspects to Enterprise security, BlackBerry is a tiny player that for the most part that is focused on device management, not network security. Cylance does move them more into that field, but unless this hack was malware or virus based?

Besides it seems the issue wasn't on Disney's side, but the users.... The big take away is don't use the same password across all your accounts. Sadly one article I read about this "situation" is a survey by UK National Cyber Security Center reveal people still use 123456, qwerty and password...
    11-19-19 11:31 AM
109,937 ... 43894390439143924393 ...