Voters
1116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

697 62.46%
  • No

419 37.54%
    TD Securities

Daniel Chan

We continue to believe that BlackBerry has very valuable assets, including a leading automotive operating system (QNX), a next generation AI-based antivirus solution (Cylance), and a very strong patent portfolio,” Daniel Chan wrote in a note to clients Tuesday. “With the stock trading at ~1.2 times book value, we continue to believe the risk/reward looks favourable.”
    W Hoa, rarsen, JLagoon and 3 others like this.
    11-05-19 09:17 AM
    General information for those with an interest in Warren Buffet investments:

California governor calls on Warren Buffett to purchase bankrupt PG&E
    https://www.utilitydive.com/news/cal...ve%20Weekender
    11-05-19 10:37 AM
    General information for those with an interest in Warren Buffet investments:

California governor calls on Warren Buffett to purchase bankrupt PG&E
    https://www.utilitydive.com/news/cal...ve%20Weekender
    Then why doesn’t governor have state buy the utility?
    RigoMonster, Greened and dalinxz like this.
    11-05-19 11:01 AM
    I haven't gone into the details as to the source of the problems (lacking time here as presently too busy with regular day job), but I suspect that politics are in part responsible. And don't rely on the Stable Genius to provide any reliable help pertaining to California and others. Usually when you are in a solid mess you shouldn't limit yourself to what was previously done, the solution may require using different new approaches. And Buffet has proven in the past several problem resolution skills, to realign organisational and financial stabilities (including 2007-2008 financial crisis, buying preferred stock from my former employer GE in 2008, several other examples, etc). An interesting subject for debate if I had time, but I'm also personally more interested for the technical (being a power production engineer) and financial aspects of such subjects. With its severe implications, it is now time to get serious finding solutions for PG&E.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-05-19 01:00 PM
    I haven't gone into the details as to the source of the problems (lacking time here as presently too busy with regular day job), but I suspect that politics are in part responsible. And don't rely on the Stable Genius to provide any reliable help pertaining to California and others. Usually when you are in a solid mess you shouldn't limit yourself to what was previously done, the solution may require using different new approaches. And Buffet has proven in the past several problem resolution skills, to realign organisational and financial stabilities (including 2007-2008 financial crisis, buying preferred stock from my former employer GE in 2008, several other examples, etc). An interesting subject for debate if I had time, but I'm also personally more interested for the technical (being a power production engineer) and financial aspects of such subjects. With its severe implications, it is now time to get serious finding solutions for PG&E.
    PG&E has been in trouble for 20 years... going back to when they first tried deregulation. But their big issue it seems to be all these fires.

Are these the result of poor maintenance or just poor design for that area?
    11-05-19 04:09 PM
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/the-clos...s-down~1821811

BlackBerry's Bryan Palma steps down

Santosh Rao, head of research at Manhattan Venture Partners, joins BNN Bloomberg to weigh in on Blackberry president and COO Bryan Palma's decision to leave the company after less than a year.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-05-19 05:05 PM
    PG&E has been in trouble for 20 years... going back to when they first tried deregulation. But their big issue it seems to be all these fires.

Are these the result of poor maintenance or just poor design for that area?
    Someone please correct me if I misspeak, but it sounds like a combination of lack of maintenance plus operating in California, a state prone to fires and earthquakes.

PG&E's equipment runs through some pretty remote areas and they haven't put forth much (if any) effort to maintain the equipment or maintain the area surrounding their equipment. Trees have been left unattended and allowed to grow into the area of the equipment. Equipment was also allowed to age without maintenance or enhancement. Some of the costs could probably have been pushed through to ratepayers but sounds like PG&E didn't create maintenance plans to present to the Public Utilities Commission to do so.

Also heard that by law, they are fully liable for fires if their equipment caused the fire. So by turning off power during windstorms, they reduce the likelihood that their equipment causes a fire. The belief from the public is that had they done the maintenance, they shouldn't have to turn power off.
    11-05-19 06:17 PM
    As someone recognized with pertinent international expertise in technology of Power Utilities over the length of a full career, I keep away from uninformed generalities and only express professional opinions when based on proper analysis and solid facts. I could call some key people in that area, review elements of root analysis, etc but presently simply don't have available time for that. And my thanks to BanffMoose having touched on two key elements which are sadly part of a larger picture. My unique purpose quoting the above utility.dive article was to inform CB readers of the intent of including Warren Buffet because of his reputation in investments.
    Last edited by rarsen; 11-05-19 at 07:50 PM.
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    11-05-19 07:36 PM
    https://www.eweek.com/pc-hardware/ho...of-smartphones

How BlackBerry, BofA, Qualcomm Could Impact Future of Smartphones
    By: Rob Enderle | November 05, 2019
    11-05-19 08:09 PM
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300951875.html
    Hyundai Autron Selects BlackBerry QNX to Power Next-Generation ADAS and Autonomous Driving Software Platform

WATERLOO, Ontario and SEOUL, South Korea, Nov. 5, 2019 /CNW/ -- BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB;TSX: BB) today announced that Hyundai Autron has selected BlackBerry QNX to power its next-generation advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) and autonomous driving software platform. Hyundai Autron, a subsidiary of South Korea's largest automobile manufacturer Hyundai Motor Group, is a leading research and development company specializing in electronic control software and automotive semiconductors.

Hyundai Autron will use the QNX® OS for Safety, a software solution that provides the reliable foundation necessary for building competitive automotive and mission-critical systems in a cost-effective and safe manner. QNX® OS, pre-certified to the highest level of ISO 26262 – ASIL D and high SIL level under IEC 61508, offers an advanced and secure embedded operating system developed for use in safety and mission-critical applications, such as ADAS and autonomous driving. The secured ADAS and autonomous driving software platform is expected to be commercialized by Hyundai Autron's OEM customers.

"We are excited to work with Hyundai Autron to provide next-generation automobiles with a secured ADAS and autonomous driving software platform," said John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry. "Functional safety and security are top priorities in connected and autonomous vehicles. BlackBerry QNX software meets the ISO 26262 ASIL-D level of certification which is the most stringent safety classification for the automotive market."

"Hyundai Autron develops the Hyundai Motor standard software platform based on the international AUTOSAR standard," said Dae-Heung Moon, CEO at Hyundai Autron. "Powered by BlackBerry QNX technology, together we will deliver ADAS and autonomous driving software platforms that will set a new standard for the automotive industry."

http://www.hyundai-autron.com/eng/co...about/index.do
    11-05-19 09:07 PM
    It has just been pointed out to me that Hyundai Autron also signed this agreement in the past few months:
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190630005042/en/Hyundai-Autron-Wind-River-Sign-Collaboration-Develop
    Hyundai Autron and Wind River Sign Collaboration to Develop Next-generation Autonomous Driving Platform

Not quite sure what to make of it all.
    11-05-19 10:11 PM
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300951875.html
    Hyundai Autron Selects BlackBerry QNX to Power Next-Generation ADAS and Autonomous Driving Software Platform

WATERLOO, Ontario and SEOUL, South Korea, Nov. 5, 2019 /CNW/ -- BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB;TSX: BB) today announced that Hyundai Autron has selected BlackBerry QNX to power its next-generation advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) and autonomous driving software platform. Hyundai Autron, a subsidiary of South Korea's largest automobile manufacturer Hyundai Motor Group, is a leading research and development company specializing in electronic control software and automotive semiconductors.

Hyundai Autron will use the QNX® OS for Safety, a software solution that provides the reliable foundation necessary for building competitive automotive and mission-critical systems in a cost-effective and safe manner. QNX® OS, pre-certified to the highest level of ISO 26262 – ASIL D and high SIL level under IEC 61508, offers an advanced and secure embedded operating system developed for use in safety and mission-critical applications, such as ADAS and autonomous driving. The secured ADAS and autonomous driving software platform is expected to be commercialized by Hyundai Autron's OEM customers.

"We are excited to work with Hyundai Autron to provide next-generation automobiles with a secured ADAS and autonomous driving software platform," said John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO, BlackBerry. "Functional safety and security are top priorities in connected and autonomous vehicles. BlackBerry QNX software meets the ISO 26262 ASIL-D level of certification which is the most stringent safety classification for the automotive market."

"Hyundai Autron develops the Hyundai Motor standard software platform based on the international AUTOSAR standard," said Dae-Heung Moon, CEO at Hyundai Autron. "Powered by BlackBerry QNX technology, together we will deliver ADAS and autonomous driving software platforms that will set a new standard for the automotive industry."

Overview | ABOUT US | HYUNDAI AUTRON
    Interesting note... Hyundai Autron also partnered with Windriver : https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ration-Develop

Wonder what this means
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    11-05-19 10:12 PM
    Interesting note... Hyundai Autron also partnered with Windriver : https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ration-Develop

Wonder what this means
    They are probably prototype development contracts with each player competing to build the best solution for Hyundai. Winner gets the production rollout.

While any new contract is positive, another development contract is not going to solve Blackberry's immediate revenue woes.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-05-19 10:29 PM
    They are probably prototype development contracts with each player competing to build the best solution for Hyundai. Winner gets the production rollout.

While any new contract is positive, another development contract is not going to solve Blackberry's immediate revenue woes.
    Definitely agree that this won't solve any immediate problems for BlackBerry.

Two perspectives I can see from this:
    1. Potentially no winner-take-all for systems in and related to cars. Comparing the two, it seems like BlackBerry was named for their strength in ADAS, and Wind River for connectivity.
    2. Wind River platform is not providing what Hyundai Autron is looking for.
    rarsen likes this.
    11-05-19 10:40 PM
    It has just been pointed out to me that Hyundai Autron also signed this agreement in the past few months:
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190630005042/en/Hyundai-Autron-Wind-River-Sign-Collaboration-Develop
    Hyundai Autron and Wind River Sign Collaboration to Develop Next-generation Autonomous Driving Platform

Not quite sure what to make of it all.
    Sorry for my repost, Corbu. Didn't see that you posted!
    rarsen and Corbu like this.
    11-05-19 11:02 PM
    As someone recognized with pertinent international expertise in technology of Power Utilities over the length of a full career, I keep away from uninformed generalities and only express professional opinions when based on proper analysis and solid facts. I could call some key people in that area, review elements of root analysis, etc but presently simply don't have available time for that. And my thanks to BanffMoose having touched on two key elements which are sadly part of a larger picture. My unique purpose quoting the above utility.dive article was to inform CB readers of the intent of including Warren Buffet because of his reputation in investments.
    It made me wonder what that means for PGE in other states--we are just to the north in Oregon and are on PGE. Bottom line (where it hits the wallet) is that our rates are much higher than those of the local power company, Salem electric. This has always been the case.
    11-06-19 11:28 AM
    It is usually not a good news when the press release for the departure of an executive lacks detail and without comments like "good luck goodbye". Here is a little bit more background regarding Bryan Palma (BP). Before coming to BlackBerry (BB), he was a senior vice president at Cisco handling multi-billion business. In April 2018, Cisco created a new role, Chief Customer Experience Officer, and hired Maria Martinez from Salesforce. She becaome the boss of BP. In January 2019, BP left Cisco and come join BB to head IoT (ESS and BTS). The unit has less than $600 million in annual revenue, which is ~10% of what BP used to head in Cisco. ESS has not been performing above market for ~4 quarters when BP joined, and continued to under perform for the past 2 quarters. Starting on 10/01/2019, Steve Capelli became chief revenue office, which inevitably will involve IoT business. To make the background even more complex, there are 2 co-heads at BTS for several years already, John Wall for Products, Engineering and Operations, and Kaivan Karimi for Sales. The following is what I think of this news.

Worst case scenario:
    Despite the cautiously optimism of ESS for 2nd half (expected ~3% yoy 2nd half growth), the Q3 revenue for ESS is bad. If 2nd half continued the ~9% yoy decline as 1st half, the annual revenue growth will have to revised the lower end from 23% to ~20%. The executives and sales BP brought with him not going to stay around. In other words, the 12 months sales training period will have to restart from 0 starting in Q4.

Best case scenario:
    Q3 number for ESS is inline with expectation, but BP landed another job that is much closer to his responsibility at Cisco. The executives and sales BP brought with him not leaving. In other words, the 12 months sales training period should end in Q4.

With the lack of "good luck goodbye" comments in the press release, I think BP probably decided to leave because the responsibility he has at BB is too small and too many people involved compared to what he is looking for. I don't think ESS is outperforming expectations in Q3, but probably inline with expectation. Partly because Mobileiron's under performance is mainly due to Europe, which constitutes relatively small % of ESS's business. Partly because Q3 has already passed ~1/3 at the time of last earnings call and ~1/2 at the time of insider buying. If it is really bad, there should be hints at both times.

As for the stock, $5.50/share corresponds to ~2.3x EV/FY2020 revenue no matter how you slice it, 20% growth is still going to put the revenue above $1.1 billion. Can the stock drop to 1.5x valuation (I think it is the lowest among all competitors)? Probably not, but even if it happens, that is ~35% drop from here. If the market starts to value BB as others, say 3.5x-4x valuation, then upside is 50-70%. It is kind of confusing to me why Licensing is valued at 2x or less by the analysts. It is a high margin business that will last for several more years, and so far there has no material sign of revenue being pulled forward. Licensing has been "bailing" out ESS since FY2018. If the revenues were truly pulled forward, there should be a much bigger decline in FY2020 than the originally expected 5%, especially considering the $46M non-cash revenue in Q4 FY2019.

Your thoughts are welcomed.
    La Emperor, he_x3, dusdal and 3 others like this.
    11-06-19 03:29 PM
    My quick take is it could have been a combo of both. A lack of performance on his and the business units part and a willingness to move onto another opportunity.

Given his experience with some big names in business, perhaps he was recruited with a big pay package. The stock compensation that was being offered could very well be a big reason, look at the share price over the last 12 months??

I don't know where all the executives or VP's are based but if they are based in Canada, perhaps he wasn't thrilled with the Canadian winter. If he was based in Waterloo or Ottawa, it's not the same lifestyle for some as if he was based somewhere else in the US in a large market.

I'm speculating and I wish him all the best, I've had some basic email conversations with him regarding a few issues. Regardless of the situation, John Chen and the rest of the team really need to hammer down and get some growth happening here.

I've said it a million times and ill say it again. With all the hacks and all the security issues that's in the news daily, BlackBerry doesn't appear to have landed it's share of the deals for corporations and governments. This is suppose to be a top tier security company!

It doesn't take too many $1 million dollar deals a quarter to move the needle upwards in a meaningful way, yet BlackBerry seems to be losing momentum in a lot of ways. I don't know what's going on but as a 2011 shareholder who's seen it all, my patience has almost run out.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-19 06:26 PM
    I've said it a million times and ill say it again. I don't know what's going on but as a 2011 shareholder who's seen it all, my patience has almost run out.

Posted via CB10
    I’m of the strong belief that BOD and John Chen share your opinions and the institutional shareholders could become restless if not already.

The fact that division is reporting directly to John Chen now with departure is somewhat telling..
    11-06-19 07:32 PM
    I’m of the strong belief that BOD and John Chen share your opinions and the institutional shareholders could become restless if not already.

The fact that division is reporting directly to John Chen now with departure is somewhat telling..

What a disaster this stock performance has been. When Chen signed his new pay package and had strong financial incentives to get the stock to $30, I was optimistic we would be trending upward.

Couldn't have been wrong !!

Posted via CB10
    11-06-19 10:44 PM
    On the subject of Bryan Palma's departure, we were able to gather this information:

It would seem that Bryan Palma left of his own accord. One source (Santosh Rao) has mentioned that he left for health reasons but unless he was able to confirm that directly from a reliable source, there are reasons to remain cautious about this affirmation.

It seems as if BB put the necessary effort in making sure Bryan would succeed but things did not work out. Bryan had brought in some senior people from outside and it would appear those are staying put. No major shakedown in the sales force stemming from this departure.

His departure is not seen as implying any meaningful change in the enterprise business as compared to what had already been announced. They are focused on executing the plan, in terms of new customer orders. Chen will oversee the IoT segment for now.
    11-07-19 09:30 AM
    Eye candy for general information (one of the more interesting "quid pro quo" for some):

1968 Morgan Plus 8
    Year: 1968 Sold For: £100,000*
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-1968-morgan-plus-8.jpg

This marvelously designed wonder was arguably the Morgan Motor Company’s most successful product on the market. Morgan produced the Plus 8 for decades, eventually bringing it back in 2012 for a limited run.

From the look of its iconic chassis (which was actually based on the Plus 4), it’s easy to see why it was such a pillar of Morgan’s success. Early models were installed with a 3.5-litre V8, which was soon increased to 3.9 litres, and then 4.6 litres.

Beyond the UK, the Plus 8 eventually found a huge audience in America. This was largely thanks to Morgan’s adaptation of a propane fuel system to meet emissions laws in the United States. Morgan’s chairman reportedly oversaw the Plus 8’s design himself.
    11-07-19 10:14 AM
    Definitely agree that this won't solve any immediate problems for BlackBerry.

Two perspectives I can see from this:
    1. Potentially no winner-take-all for systems in and related to cars. Comparing the two, it seems like BlackBerry was named for their strength in ADAS, and Wind River for connectivity.
    2. Wind River platform is not providing what Hyundai Autron is looking for.
    I would tend to think that BB is ahead of the curve, based on this joint announcement of Hyundai and Aptiv
    https://www.aptiv.com/media/article/...-joint-venture

Knowing too well that BB has been working with Aptiv ( formerly Delphi ) since 2017
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/20/de...ving-platform/
    https://ir.aptiv.com/investors/press...m/default.aspx

Maybe the latest QNX announcement is just a formality. ;-)
    11-07-19 10:53 AM
    I would tend to think that BB is ahead of the curve, based on this joint announcement of Hyundai and Aptiv
    https://www.aptiv.com/media/article/...-joint-venture

Knowing too well that BB has been working with Aptiv ( formerly Delphi ) since 2017
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/20/de...ving-platform/
    https://ir.aptiv.com/investors/press...m/default.aspx

Maybe the latest QNX announcement is just a formality. ;-)
    Good info, thanks for the share!
    La Emperor and Corbu like this.
    11-07-19 11:52 AM
    On the subject of Bryan Palma's departure, we were able to gather this information:

It would seem that Bryan Palma left of his own accord. One source (Santosh Rao) has mentioned that he left for health reasons but unless he was able to confirm that directly from a reliable source, there are reasons to remain cautious about this affirmation.

It seems as if BB put the necessary effort in making sure Bryan would succeed but things did not work out. Bryan had brought in some senior people from outside and it would appear those are staying put. No major shakedown in the sales force stemming from this departure.

His departure is not seen as implying any meaningful change in the enterprise business as compared to what had already been announced. They are focused on executing the plan, in terms of new customer orders. Chen will oversee the IoT segment for now.
    Thanks for the update.

Previous COO, Marty Beard, left in 2017 to attend to family health matter, according to Reuter. I could not locate any press release on Blackberry's investor relations website regarding it. Perhaps Santosh Rao was mixing the 2 COOs?
    Corbu and FeitaInc like this.
    11-07-19 12:33 PM
109,894 ... 43864387438843894390 ...