View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

697 62.46%
  • No

419 37.54%
    Since I only went in deep in mid 2015, I didn't really follow the 2013 proceedings as closely as I perhaps should of, especially since due to financing it never got past the preliminary stages, but the jist of going private is that they offer a price, requires 2/3rds approval by shareholders, and then that's it?

Do you really think that a majority of shareholders would be happy with $7/8 and vote for it? While a decent premium from here, here IMO is artificially low.

This has always been a very long term holding for me, is taking your shares private along with the others an option for people, knowing full well you may not be able to sell for a decade or more?
    Not sure why 2/3 needs approval unless special covenants I’ve missed requiring greater than 50.1% of voting shares for buyout approval. The majority of shareholders only needs to be institutional holdings that can include new operators recently initiating coverage or asset management companies expecting this play since Fairfax did it before.

If going private was approved, by vote, survived any legal challenges and regulatory approval, common shares are cancelled and you’re given the amount of tender offer in cash as per usual terms. You don’t get a choice. Fairfax and the other institutional shareholders might prefer this drop to get rid of the problematic issues of public trading and ownership. Berkshire Hathaway and others do this and have done this for decades. It’s part of why owning shares is considered taking risk. After going private, assets could be transferred, moved around, developed or whatever as they belong to private equity holders at that point. Even, not uncommon, the company just might be taken public again. That could be in as little as 12-36 months if demand for public shares is there.
    10-09-19 09:38 AM
    The primary issue with the $5 threshold is that under $5 the position is no longer margin eligible. Any institutions or individuals with any equity under $5 see it charged as 100% maintenance requirement. Some portfolios have maximum leverage and therefore it could become a problem.
    I'm also doubtful that is a blanket rule. Individual brokers have discretion to charge 100% maintenance margin based on their own risk policies. It's possible some view BB to be so volatile as to charge 100% maintenance, but I just took a look at my broker's list and BB has no extraordinary margin requirements. Your mileage may vary.

The story is different if you are short. FINRA 4210(c)(2) guidelines recommend $2.50 per share or 100% maintenance margin (whichever is greater) of each stock short if the stock is trading less than $5.

https://www.finra.org/sites/default/...ry/p122203.pdf
    10-09-19 09:39 AM
    I'm also doubtful that is a blanket rule. Individual brokers have discretion to charge 100% maintenance margin based on their own risk policies. It's possible some view BB to be so volatile as to charge 100% maintenance, but I just took a look at my broker's list and BB has no extraordinary margin requirements. Your mileage may vary.

The story is different if you are short. FINRA 4210(c)(2) guidelines recommend $2.50 per share or 100% maintenance margin (whichever is greater) of each stock short if the stock is trading less than $5.

https://www.finra.org/sites/default/...ry/p122203.pdf
    The major benefit to going below $5 is mandatory short covering since majority of short loaned shares are due to margin borrowing.
    10-09-19 09:44 AM
    What Happened to BlackBerry: Zombie Stock or Comeback King?

https://www.toptal.com/finance/manag...-to-blackberry
    elfabio80, techvisor and rarsen like this.
    10-09-19 09:49 AM
    What Happened to BlackBerry: Zombie Stock or Comeback King?

https://www.toptal.com/finance/manag...-to-blackberry
    Pull out the tiny bit about Cylance and that article sound like it was written three years ago. The pivot from big company to small company has been made. Smartphones are long in the past...

The problem is they are a small company while most their competition isn't....
    elfabio80 and techvisor like this.
    10-09-19 10:33 AM
    Vanguard Group Inc. increased its position in Blackberry. 422,164 additional shares.

https://www.tickerreport.com/banking...td-nysebb.html
    10-09-19 01:13 PM
    Spot on on everything, dimi. I hope, BB will do something quick to mitigate the situation with the stock price. The $5 range is no joke. 54% of the shares are held by institutions. It seems that announcing / doing a buy back by BB will be a reasonable move to show confidence in the "completion" of the turnaround. Or perhaps accepting a strategic investment at a "fair" valuation would be good too. We, retail investors, cannot think / feel that something needs to be done, something is cooking, something must have been anticipated for this situation by BB BOD. Yet, the silence is brutal.
    Hello Sir!

Never a dull day with BlackBerry

Looking at the glass half empty / half full I think, he might have been advised not to speak publicly, to minimize class-action lawsuits. Imagine if he goes on television and minimizes the risk of additional revisions over the next few quarters (JC:"we're actually still on target of meeting our initial goal, just not the high-end of it"). While they still don't have a good enough feel of where the drop in ESS will stop. It could be a real risk, you know, additional revisions to those revenue numbers. Why did they revise the numbers now while they might actually meet the lower end of the range? Is it mandatory, or are they afraid of ESS (competition, sales force,..)? Remember, their sales force "needs 2 more quarters", JC said? At least it sounds better than "increased competition".

Just brainstorming:

With regards to buy-backs, I don't believe that there's enough money in their pockets currently? They can't spend the money from the debentures because they will have to eventually repurchase those bonds (next fall), since Prem is not going to convert the bonds at 10 dollars with the current market price at 5 dollars? Even if JC was a gambling man, it doesn't seem to me that a buyback would take the share price above 10 dollars, just to see Prem then convert his bonds to shares (because then there would be no money left in the bank since they spent it all on a buyback program), potentially bringing back the share pool to what it was before the buyback started? Unless a negative net-cash position is something that they're considering, but that would be reckless imo. They'll probably wait another year (if their business allows it), and then buy back those bonds since they'll have successfully kept share price below 10 dollars LOL.

Even if e.g. Microsoft acquired BlackBerry, then BlackBerry would probably need to buy back those bonds early (and pay a penalty), because what happens if they offer 11 dollars per share, and Prem decides to convert those bonds? Just kidding, I'm confident (or at least hope) that their contracts mention all the necessary clauses. But imagine BOD meetings with Prem sitting at the table........ it just can't be a good situation.
    La Emperor, rarsen, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    10-09-19 04:40 PM
    Vanguard Group Inc. increased its position in Blackberry. 422,164 additional shares.

https://www.tickerreport.com/banking...td-nysebb.html
    They must have got a comforting call from Chen. Oddly, I did not get one.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-09-19 06:07 PM
    And which market are they focused on right now.... IP, Auto, Trucking, IoT, Enterprise UEM, Mobility Solutions, Legacy Support, Encryption, AI...

Sadly as before... might be more value in the parts than the whole. Getting that value might only be achieved by going private.

Cylance might be the magic that brings it all together.... but it's a long shot.
    I think many here have intuition that this may be going private in the not too distant future, but don't want to admit getting the shaft with stock settlement. At least has been my perception for a long time.
    As unfortunately mentioned, it is probably the only chance that BlackBerry has to establish a solid footing.

If a buyout/privatization does happen, I hope that there is a fair value attached, but then again, with Prem involved, that is not likely.

On the other hand, maybe none of that will happen!
    Corbu, dalinxz, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    10-09-19 09:30 PM
    I think many here have intuition that this may be going private in the not too distant future, but don't want to admit getting the shaft with stock settlement. At least has been my perception for a long time.
    As unfortunately mentioned, it is probably the only chance that BlackBerry has to establish a solid footing.

If a buyout/privatization does happen, I hope that there is a fair value attached, but then again, with Prem involved, that is not likely.

On the other hand, maybe none of that will happen!
    Looks like Canadian law does have some protections for minority equity holders in regards to special insider transactions, which would include an insider take over bid. I have skimmed through some of this, but did not confirm it can't be done. Sounds like it would present an issue for Prem, especially because he could be privy to non public info. The rule is MI 61-101.
    Here is the link:

https://www.osc.gov.on.ca/en/Securit...aff-review.htm

Also, less likely now as well because Chen bought shares today on the open market:

50,000 shares @ $4.90 USD, bringing his total to 4.3 million shares

Not sure if this link will work, but shows 2019 insider transactions filed with SEDI:

https://www.sedi.ca/sedi/SVTItdSelec...r?locale=en_CA

https://www.sedi.ca/sedi/SVTReportsA...0&locale=en_CA
    Last edited by smithm565; 10-09-19 at 10:46 PM.
    10-09-19 10:35 PM
    I bought some more stock yesterday, for that very same reason. Reallocating some funds from EYPT to BB seemed a bit strange, as the former has been performing well recently, but it seemed to be the right thing to do all things considered. Time will tell.

Fantastic effort by some of the regulars lately! Kudos
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 10-10-19 at 06:54 AM.
    10-10-19 06:37 AM
    Looks like Canadian law does have some protections for minority equity holders in regards to special insider transactions, which would include an insider take over bid. I have skimmed through some of this, but did not confirm it can't be done. Sounds like it would present an issue for Prem, especially because he could be privy to non public info. The rule is MI 61-101.
    This is known as shareholder "Oppression" and is when major shareholder(s) "oppresses" the minority holders like for example voting to dilute the stock. However, the action must be particularly unfair and causes demonstrated financial loss. For example ; today to offer $6USD would not be deemed oppressive as it yields a profit yet would seem extremely unfair to most who previously paid substantially more.

Further, if the offer is accepted by the majority shareholders, then any litigation would only be for the losses incurred and would not stop the transaction going through sealing the company's fate.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-10-19 09:57 AM
    So, Gus Papageorgiou now works for PI Financial Corp. (PI)
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...814721963.html

They have initiated coverage of BB.

A summary follows. I'll try and make the whole report available, somehow.

Gus Papageorgiou, MBA, CFA

INITIATING COVERAGE October 9, 2019

BLACKBERRY LTD.

RATING: NEUTRAL TARGET: US$5.65/C$7.60

Execution Needs To Improve

We are initiating coverage on BlackBerry with a NEUTRAL recommendation and US$5.65/C$7.60 target price.

It’s all about QNX: The main reason to consider BlackBerry is its QNX embedded software solution. QNX could become the Microsoft Windows of the connected / autonomous car. BlackBerry is already in 120M automobiles globally and has relationships with almost all the Tier 1 suppliers and the OEMs. We believe BlackBerry’s ASP for QNX could go from the ~US$4 range to the US$20+ range, and its penetration of the market from ~20% to much higher.

Enterprise Software Business Remains Challenged: Although highly recurring and profitable the Enterprise business is facing declining revenues. Partially due to a change in sales strategy, partially to new accounting rules but also due to increased competition from Microsoft.

IoT Strategy will take time: We believe BlackBerry has the assets to stitch together a compelling IoT solution, especially for the automobile industry. However, this will take some time.

Upside and Downside Risks: The Company has outstanding litigation that could go its way and could be very meaningful. On the downside we continue to be worried about Microsoft in the Enterprise.

Execution could improve: The Company has failed to capitalize on some promising solutions and is undergoing a disruption in its enterprise sales channel. Management needs to be credited for transitioning this business but must focus on better execution.

Revenue momentum should be positive thanks to M&A & QNX but the Enterprise group will remain challenged in the short term.

We value BlackBerry based on 2.5x forward 12 month EV/Sales one year out. Valuing BlackBerry is challenging because the Company has been completely transformed over the last few years. It is now very much a software Company.
    10-10-19 10:04 AM
    I feel like Gus has been a member of this thread for many years now. I remember his bullish call for 35-40 USD when we were trading at 15-18 USD or so. Considering that he has changed employers, I completely understand his cautious take :-)
    FeitaInc, rarsen, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    10-11-19 01:33 AM
    Well, we already knew this... ;-)

https://www.cantechletter.com/2019/1...-cars-pi-says/
    BlackBerry could become the Microsoft Windows of connected cars, PI says
    La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    10-11-19 09:00 AM
    I remember his bullish call for 35-40 USD
    Infamous short seller from Citron, Andrew Left, in a dramatic about face, made the same call several months back.
    Corbu likes this.
    10-11-19 10:01 AM
    A month or so we all witnessed a "mini renaissance" in Blackberry's fortunes amongst many analysts. We saw a surge of positivity in their opinions on Blackberry's products and market opportunities for the first time in some years. Of course it was immediately killed off by the ER and made many of the analysts look like morons.

They won't make that mistake again.

I can only hope Chen and crew are heads down fixing the execution issues and turn around the turnaround.
    Corbu, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    10-11-19 10:26 AM
    Meanwhile...

CRWD:
    https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...-sell-15123145
    CrowdStrike Declines on Goldman Downgrade to Sell
    La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    10-11-19 10:31 AM
    Yes he was always a big fan...
    That really was always to problem with this thread.... too many fans dreaming of that $100 (way over his $35-$40) party and not willing to even consider the real and present risks that were there. The idea that anything negative was fud, is what got so many in the hole.

Today I'm rather bullish on BlackBerry's prospects... but I'm thinking a $10 party.
    techvisor likes this.
    10-11-19 10:44 AM
    CrowdStrike Declines on Goldman Downgrade to
    Sell
    25% of restricted shares released into the wild

SEC Form 3

2] The shares represent unvested restricted stock units ("RSUs") granted on September 25, 2018, with 25% of the RSUs vesting on September 20, 2019 and 1/16 of the RSUs vesting quarterly thereafter
    10-11-19 10:45 AM
    I'll post some more content from Gus's report.

It’s all about QNX

We are initiating coverage on BlackBerry with a NEUTRAL recommendation and a US$5.65/C$7.80 target.

• QNX is the future of this Company: QNX has the ability, in our opinion, to become the default software platform for the connected/autonomous car. We believe revenue here will be up 24% YoY and should accelerate as average selling price (ASP) and volumes increase.
    • But mid-term performance should be lacklustre: Although the recent Cylance acquisition should help boost overall revenues by 21% this year the traditional Enterprise Software business is weak. We expect positive cash flows but less than stellar results over the next 2-3 quarters.
    • Balance sheet and cash flows remain strong: The Company is sitting on US$333M of net cash and is cash flow positive. We believe the operations will continue to flow cash. The revenues are increasingly recurring as well, providing some degree of predictability.
    • Positive surprises could include RADAR and Litigation wins: We continue to believe RADAR could prove a highly compelling business if BB management can make it succeed. In addition the Company continues to maintain litigation efforts against larger players (Facebook) it believes have infringed on its IP. A win there could be sizeable.
    • Big concern is Microsoft in the Enterprise Space: Although BlackBerry is well positioned in regulated industries Microsoft has been taking customers in other areas. The Company hopes that its broad suite of products and ability to manage all end-points will eventually lead to broader gains.
    • Near term catalysts lacking but value strong and long term picture constructive: With near term challenges in its Enterprise business we believe the shares will continue to languish. Although we are constructive in the long term and believe valuation is supportive.

The Management team at BlackBerry has done a good job at transitioning this Company from a hardware vendor to a software company with largely recurring revenues. BlackBerry now enjoys higher gross margins than ever and its revenue base is, again, highly recurring. The influence from the old handset business is all but gone.

We also believe that QNX is the key reason to consider the shares. QNX is an embedded, modular software platform that is at the heart of BlackBerry’s initiative to sell more software into the auto sector. The auto sector will likely undergo a major transition over the next 10 years as the software platform will become increasingly important in the value proposition.

Because we expect the Company to undergo some challenges with its Enterprise business in the short term we do not see any immediacy to owning the shares.

The Importance of QNX

Figure 1 below illustrates what we expect will happen to the automobile over the next few years. Simplistically, software will become increasingly important in the vehicle. But in more detail, today’s automobiles are characterized by several software type features (rear-view or full-view cameras, lane correction, heads up display, self-parking). Consumers love these features and they are becoming increasingly common in all ranges of vehicles. The downside is that, currently, these features are enabled through electronic control units (ECUs). Modern automobiles are becoming populated by these ECUs. And although they add much wanted features, they also add cost, weight and design and manufacturing complexity to the car.

In the future, we expect the entire approach to adding these features into the car will change. We will move from ECUs to high performance computing (HPC) platforms. These HPCs effectively act as an operating system for the car. Because some features of the car will require tremendous computing power (autonomous driving) they will require their own HPC. Others will be grouped together. What this means is that features that were once hardware enabled (assisted parking) now simply become an application on an HPC platform. This will remove weight, cost and complexity from the vehicle.

But even further, it allows for upgradability and enhanced functionality. Today, when you buy a car the features it has will be the features it has until you decide to buy another car. However, under a HPC model, consumers would be able to upgrade the features by downloading the latest version of the app, or expand the features of the car by adding a new application – for example download an app that will guide you to parking spots in a city you are visiting.

BlackBerry’s QNX solution is very well positioned in this changing environment. BlackBerry’s QNX software runs in 120M cars globally. Up until recently the bulk of those sales were infotainment solutions. However, more recently BlackBerry has started selling its hypervisor technology and other features like digital cockpits, digital instrument clusters and more recently Human Machine Interface (HMI). BlackBerry is well positioned with both the automobile OEMs and the Tier 1 suppliers (see Figure 2 below).

From a financial perspective QNX could represent a substantial boost to BlackBerry’s Revenues and margins. Currently we estimate BlackBerry’s ASP (average selling price) per automobile is between US3.00 to US$5.00, and that is up from around US$2.00 a few years ago. As we move to a more software centric automobile, we believe BlackBerry’s ASP could move closer to US$20 per HPC. And as Figure 1 above outlines, there could be a half dozen HPCs per vehicle. In addition BlackBerry’s software is found in roughly 120M cars currently and in 20M cars/year, giving it a roughly 20% penetration. We believe the Company will expand its penetration as more and more automobile OEMs realize the value of QNX.

10-11-19 03:28 PM
    More from Gus.

Traditional Enterprise Business Choppy Short Term

Although we are optimistic on QNX’s potential, on the traditional Enterprise Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) and security software we expect challenging times. First of all the overall market is likely saturated and facing pricing pressure as Microsoft gives away features for free with Outlook. BlackBerry has focused on the higher end of the market specifically at regulated industries and governments that require higher levels of security. In this segment the Company, we believe, is maintaining, if not growing its share. However, at the lower end of the market we do believe BlackBerry is feeling pressure from Microsoft.

In its last quarter the Company saw revenues for this group down around 14%. Management attributed the decline largely to efforts aimed at refining the sales channels. BlackBerry changed some key positions within its sales organization, promoting some people while dismissing others. In addition it is moving from a product specific sales force to a portfolio approach where salespeople sell a variety of products not just one. Finally, the Company believes it was too reliant on its installed base for revenue and is looking to expand into newer accounts.

Figure 5 below outlines the revenue profile of the enterprise business over the last few years. Last year the Company’s accounting changed due to new IFRS rules and in addition it moved accounts to a recurring revenue model versus a one-time sale. This year we saw decent performance in the first quarter but down roughly 14% in 2Q – again due to changes in the go-to-market strategy. Overall, we believe this segment is important because of its installed base and its ability to merge in technologies such as QNX and the newly acquired Cylance to provide a broader IoT solution. But we are not relying on this group for strong financial performance, at least in the mid-term.

Newly Acquired Cylance Boosting Revenue

Last year BlackBerry acquired Cylance for US$1.4B. Cylance’s offering provide end point security. However, Cylance uses a different approach than BlackBerry. Cylance uses mathematics-based analysis to look for security breaches. If it detects a breach it then escalates the situation. This approach is key in an IoT world where billions of devices will be connected. Rather than actively scanning devices (which takes time and money and consumes network capacity and battery life) Cylance allows devices to flag when they have potentially been compromised.

Although the additional revenue (estimated at US$211M this year – up ~22%) does help BlackBerry’s financial performance overall we believe the broader appeal here will be in stitching together Cylance with QNX and the traditional ESS offering to develop a cybersecurity offering for the car. We estimate Cylance charges roughly $14/year per device for its offering. BlackBerry has not disclosed the number of devices using Cylance but the growing revenue does give us some comfort that its user base is growing. We do note that Cylance does maintain strong competition and the reason it did sell itself was because it had missed a new product introduction which caused its competitiveness to slip.

Financial Analysis

Overall BlackBerry can be characterized with:

• A strong balance sheet and positive cash flow.
    • Pockets of growth battling stagnant or declining areas.
    • Strong gross margins and highly recurring revenue streams.

As Figure 6 above illustrates, the Company has managed to stabilize its operations from the tumultuous period between 2012 and 2016. Hardware revenues are all but gone and service fee revenues from pre BlackBerry 10 devices are immaterial. Although revenues have come down, gross margins have drastically improved. BlackBerry’s gross margins are now that of a software company – because that is what it is.

The challenge for BlackBerry will be sustainable growth. We are not expecting much from the traditional Enterprise business and Cylance will likely taper off its 20%+ growth. Where we believe there is potential in QNX. Here we believe both volumes and ASPs can move much higher. The challenge is determining when that acceleration will take place. We do see a strong and consistent build in the short term but believe there will be a break out year at some point.

Risks and Concerns

Upside could come from litigation or RADAR: BlackBerry has a strong IP portfolio and the Company has been turning that into a profitable and fairly reliable revenue stream. This year the Company will recognize an estimated US$288M in revenue, slightly up from last year. Within this portfolio there are several law suits that are outstanding. One of these, the suit against Facebook, could potentially have a major impact. BlackBerry’s suit involves the patents around Messenger, which BlackBerry believes is based on similar technology that drove BlackBerry Messenger (BBM). We believe this settlement could be in the billion dollar range.

Also, BlackBerry’s RADAR initiative has proven disappointing. RADAR is a trailer tracking initiative that was launched in 2016. To date it has won some small but loyal customers and the solution has received very strong reviews from its customer base. RADAR has the potential to drastically improve the efficiency of a very inefficient industry. However, the Company has not been able to sell the solution effectively. There are 12M trailers between the EU and North America. BlackBerry’s business model would include a hardware sale to each one of those and a recurring monthly fee to track them at around the $10 range.

Microsoft is a concern in the enterprise: Although we believe BlackBerry’s business in regulated and government agencies is safe thanks to heightened security concerns, we continue to be concerned about Microsoft in the remaining fields. Microsoft’s solution is “good-enough” for most organizations and we believe it could put some pricing pressure on BlackBerry’s existing customer base.

Valuation and Recommendation

Valuation is challenging because BlackBerry has been completely reformed as a Company. In 2016 39% of revenues were from hardware whereas the last quarter that number was zero. Additionally the gross margins in 2016 were 46.5% whereas they were 78% last year.

Also it is difficult to have direct comps because, even though there are several cyber security companies out there, their respective end markets are sometime quite different. We believe Citrix and Vmware are likely the most direct comps and Mobile Iron can also be considered. The range for these names is between 2.7x to 6.0x forward 12 month Ev/Sales – quite the range.

If BlackBerry can capitalize on some of the opportunities in front of it (QNX. Radar, litigation, Cylance) we believe we could see stronger growth and the multiple could see 6x – it has traded there in the past. But for now, given the disappointing recent quarter we believe they will likely trade sideways. We do not see any urgency in owning the shares in the immediate term but would advise longer term, value oriented accounts to take a closer look, as we do believe this company has some quality assets and technology – and one way or another, they are likely to be recognized.
    W Hoa, rarsen and rampagingpanda like this.
    10-11-19 08:47 PM
    10-11-19 09:57 PM
    https://www.techradar.com/in/news/cy...rover-ceo-says
    Cybersecurity "as important as brakes" for future cars, Jaguar Land Rover CEO says
    10-12-19 09:09 AM
    Radar
    A post + 3 videos were published yesterday

https://blogs.blackberry.com/en/2019...he-digital-age
    With BlackBerry Radar, Trucking Progresses into the Digital Age

10-12-19 09:12 AM
109,939 ... 43804381438243834384 ...