Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Will The Cycle Be Unbroken? BlackBerry's Momentous Q4

Gio Danisi
    Last edited by Corbu; 01-21-19 at 01:54 PM.
    morganplus8, rarsen and La Emperor like this.
    01-21-19 01:37 PM
    For those of us who watched as RIM's (at the time) valuation imploded helped along by a steady stream of crazy articles by some very well known pundits. I recollect several articles when the first BB10 devices came out describing the "severe problem" of skin oil building up on the device's screen obscuring the display. The articles went on to pontificate that other devices (like the iPhone ?) didn't have this problem as they used better glass etc. Of course most devices at the time used exactly the same Gorilla Glass.

At the time all of this seemed to be very well organized and to this day I believe that there was unseen"intelligent hands" guiding all of this negative marketing. Subsequently several insiders have come out and confirmed the existence of organized negative marketing plans and shadowy companies that provide the requisite surreptitious services.

This and many other unethical activities demonstrate how Wall Street is manipulated and wired to benefit the few at the cost of the many. I suppose to highlight these inequities makes me somewhat of a hypocrite as none of this seems to deter me and others from our continued participation.

You can want to blame the "organized negative marketing" all you want. Real blame belongs on Mike and Jim and their waiting too long to shift BlackBerry to a modern OS. By the time BB10 was able to crawl out of the womb, iOS and Android were mature and mostly stable platforms. The Market wasn't going to allow these late to the game OS.... BB10, Windows 10, Firefox, Sailfish. And it's wasn't an organized thing.... individual developers simply didn't want to deal with or invest into platforms that had no users.

BB10 might have worked as a security focused commercial product... but that is not what they tried to bill it as. And it would not have given them the 10's of thousand in unit sales a year they had grown accustom to.
    anon(4086547) and techvisor like this.
    01-21-19 02:20 PM
    ”By the time BB10 was able to crawl out of the womb, iOS and Android were mature and mostly stable platforms. ” Stable platforms, LMHO

Swiss cheese, YES!!!
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    01-21-19 06:06 PM
    ”By the time BB10 was able to crawl out of the womb, iOS and Android were mature and mostly stable platforms. ” Stable platforms, LMHO

Swiss cheese, YES!!!
    I'm not talking about the quality of the software, but the existence of the platform and userbase. Which is what Developers were mostly interested in, and Developer Apps is what most consumers were interested in.

Negative "marketing" might have affected the stock from time to time. But it can't be blamed for BB10's failure or for the general depressed state of the BlackBerry stock for all of the last almost seven years. BlackBerry the company is responsible for both.... along with general market conditions.
    elfabio80, drobbie and techvisor like this.
    01-22-19 08:53 AM
    01-22-19 01:57 PM
    01-22-19 01:57 PM
    Thanks for the good reading material Corbu!!

Cheers mate!
    Corbu, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    01-22-19 04:06 PM
    I'm not talking about the quality of the software, but the existence of the platform and userbase. Which is what Developers were mostly interested in, and Developer Apps is what most consumers were interested in.
    So you are telling me that a stable platform = apps and Blackberry policy into not allowing weak apps into the play ground was there down fall. So these stable platforms that allow your privacy to be changed and take your information for what ever reason are better. I'm not your sheep to lead mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    01-22-19 07:25 PM
    So you are telling me that a stable platform = apps and Blackberry policy into not allowing weak apps into the play ground was there down fall. So these stable platforms that allow your privacy to be changed and take your information for what ever reason are better. I'm not your sheep to lead mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No, that is a complete reframing of the original point and a straw man at that. The original point, as far as I can tell, was that short sellers have made BB’s market perception worse than the fundamentals would otherwise indicate they needed to be.

The closest way I can bridge the two lines of reasoning to you would be to ask if all the media outlets in the world were reporting that BB was making money hand over fist and that BB’s future was as bright as ever when they released BB10 + consumers were standing in line to get the Q10 & Z10 at launch, would that not have affected sales or increased the likelihood of developers jumping onboard?

As for privacy, it seems consumers have been more focused on convenience and developers on monitization for that to hold much sway. And that is not to say that I don’t agree with you, but the buying descissions of the market in general indicates that has not been a critical factor.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 01-23-19 at 02:05 AM.
    rarsen likes this.
    01-23-19 01:52 AM
    I said mature and stable... Mostly they existed, and had existed for almost five years. Developers were already involved with them and making money with them.

BlackBerry's GREAT Privacy and Security aspects... never got a chance to even come into play.

I don't want to lead you anywhere.... just stating my view that it wasn't "organized negative marketing" that ended BB10 and BlackBerry's Mobile business. It was mostly just poor timing.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-23-19 09:16 AM
    No, that is a complete reframing of the original point and a straw man at that. The original point, as far as I can tell, was that short sellers have made BB’s market perception worse than the fundamentals would otherwise indicate they needed to be.
    Even though I freely admit contributing to this topic, I for one really can't see any value in rehashing the sad history of BB10 and Blackberry. They lost, let's move on to the future and focus on the potential (or lack of) investment returns.
    01-23-19 09:16 AM
    Even though I freely admit contributing to this topic, I for one really can't see any value in rehashing the sad history of BB10 and Blackberry. They lost, let's move on to the future and focus on the potential (or lack of) investment returns.
    At these prices... I think the potential for a return on investment is great.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    01-23-19 09:32 AM
    Agreed, and wading into the crossfire was more to agree that short sellers still pose a significant risk for the market perception of BB. That said, let’s hope JC et al. bring home some nice numbers next time around. Aka Let’s show those short sellers. (!)
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    01-23-19 03:11 PM
    Grabby OS will always be grabby!!!

But her is something worth reading!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...iver-1.4988392
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    01-23-19 04:32 PM
    Self explanatory !!!!!!!

morganplus8 likes this.
    01-23-19 04:39 PM
    Developers were already involved with them and making money with them.
    Please explain to me how they made money???

Better be good mate!!!!

I will have mercy on you and tell you that a majority of users use the free app version!

Please don't use the word advertising!!!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 01-23-19 at 05:27 PM.
    01-23-19 05:04 PM
    Please explain to me how they made money???

Better be good mate!!!!

I will have mercy on you and tell you that a majority of users use the free app version!

Please don't use the word advertising!!!

Global App Revenue Reached $34 BILLION in the first half of 2018.... someone is somehow "paying".

Do you really not understand how the app market works? And why in 2013 developers choose to stick with what they were doing, instead of branching out to all the new platforms coming to market?

To be honest the problem extend back to the early PlayBook days too.... which is why it was surprising that BlackBerry didn't manage to at least get like the top 25 to 50 major apps for BB10. Didn't need 100's of millions of apps, just the most used ones. But the reality is Microsoft showed use that paying developers directly could not come close to the revenues that a large userbase could create....
    techvisor likes this.
    01-24-19 07:30 AM
    Interesting article from 2016 in regards to app revenue.

https://sensortower.com/blog/app-store-one-percent
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    01-24-19 08:59 AM
    01-24-19 09:06 AM
    Primcap Mgmt is still adding to their BlackBerry position, increasing by 202,000 shares in the prior quarter, bringing total shares owned by them to 73,728,793 (as of 11/13/18).

The SP seems to be tightening up, waiting on news for a big push through $8.

Posted via CB10
    FeitaInc, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    01-24-19 12:50 PM
    FB v BB Update:

1/18/19:
    37 Notice of Withdrawal of Ian S. Shelton as Counsel of Record for Defendants and Counterclaimants BlackBerry Limited and BlackBerry Corporation by Ian Scott Shelton. (Shelton, Ian) (Filed on 1/18/2019) Modified on 1/22/2019 (cjlS, COURT STAFF).

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 07:51 AM
    BB v FB Update:

1/23/19:
    108 NOTICE of Appearance filed by attorney Patrick Schmidt on behalf of Plaintiff BlackBerry Limited (Attorney Patrick Schmidt added to party BlackBerry Limited(ptyla))(Schmidt, Patrick)

1/10/19:
    107 AMENDED MINUTES held before Judge George H. Wu re: Status Conference - optional html form, 106 . Court and counsel discuss terms for construction. Counsel are to file a joint document re terms by February 14, 2019. Court to issue its ruling by February 21, 2019. (mrgo)

1/10/19:
    106 MINUTES OF STATUS CONFERENCE held before Judge George H. Wu. Counsel are to file a joint document re terms by February 21, 2019. Court to issue its ruling by February 21, 2019. The Court extends the claim construction opening brief to February 28, 2019. Responsive brief to be filed by March 18, 2019. Claim Construction Hearing remains set for April 1, 2019. Court Reporter: Katie E. Thibodeaux. (mrgo)

Posted via CB10
    01-25-19 07:57 AM
    To me, the key info here is the "claim construction hearing", also called Markman Hearings, on April 1st, 2019.

This well known patent attorney states in the article below:

"It was true in my cases as it is in essentially all patent cases that without a successful Markman outcome a successful trial is unlikely."

http://www.a2lc.com/blog/bid/67898/1...rkman-Hearings

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, W Hoa, FeitaInc and 2 others like this.
    01-25-19 08:09 AM
    Should be a good day today. Futures way up. Asian and European indexes all up. Cheers.
    01-25-19 08:24 AM
    2019: The Road Ahead For BlackBerry Extends Beyond Auto With EoT And Security

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maribel.../#37612e0363c3
    01-25-19 08:29 AM
113,250 ... 43074308430943104311 ...