Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    https://mobile.itbusinessedge.com/bl...iot-world.html

"Acquisition Process:
    One of the problems with most acquisitions is that firms do integration mergers, which destroy the asset. While Cylance won’t be fully independent, the plan is to largely leave it alone as a separate division, lowering the risk of unplanned employee departures and allowing the firm to continue to execute. This is basically the process that Dell has proven is so successful and it should preserve the company while BlackBerry works to integrate the solution into its portfolio."

Posted via CB10
    11-27-18 07:07 AM
    https://mobile.itbusinessedge.com/bl...iot-world.html

"Acquisition Process:
    ...This is basically the process that Dell has proven is so successful and it should preserve the company while BlackBerry works to integrate the solution into its portfolio."
    We are in another exciting slot in time with BlackBerry when you think of where the share price currently is, mixed with what is going down.
    It seems that BlackBerry is letting Cylance run without buyout interference; only adding the Secure boost to make the Cylance (heh - The Google) product better than ever. At least that is what we have seen so far with regard to the other acquisitions made.

I am topped up again on bb.ca but I wonder if we see any big steps in the next while. It will be interesting to see how much 'the market' will run this thing prior to ER because the reasons against are becoming harder to sell to the masses.

Cheers fellas.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    11-27-18 10:04 AM
    Some in the media may be slow to recognize the significant benefit of a BlackBerry & Cylance combination for IOT security, but their competitors are not.

Coincidence articles being pushed like this with virtually identical messages?

https://www.channelpartnersonline.co...-iot-security/

https://www.smartbrief.com/branded/F...6-7609F81391D4

https://www.csoonline.com/article/33...ealthcare.html

Also, Symantec took a full page ad out in the Wall Street Journal yesterday to describe how they are the cyber security leader for IOT. Key points focusing on UEM, and exactly what BlackBerry & Cylance noted they were targeting in Chen's announcement of the purchase.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by smithm565; 11-27-18 at 04:29 PM.
    11-27-18 11:24 AM
    Gartner has an interesting section of its website where you can compare, and review, all the major players in the Endpoint Protection area. I compared Cylance to both FireEye and CrowdStrike.

Interesting results in a very competitive space.

https://www.gartner.com/reviews/mark...vs-crowdstrike
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    11-28-18 07:11 AM
    From our friends at ST:

wobblywheelerNov 28th, 4:47 am

$BB short interest was 34.9M as of Oct 31. Nov 15th new SI is 30.9M . Down by 4M shares.
    11-28-18 07:15 AM
    Gartner has an interesting section of its website where you can compare, and review, all the major players in the Endpoint Protection area. I compared Cylance to both FireEye and CrowdStrike.

Interesting results in a very competitive space.

https://www.gartner.com/reviews/mark...vs-crowdstrike
    Think Cylance will help BlackBerry to better compete against competitors that are offering a more complete package. More as a way to stabilize their business potential than to greatly increase their revenues.

It's a smart buy for Chen, but doesn't change they are a small fish in the enterprise world.
    11-28-18 10:14 AM
    OT on trends:

The most popular PC is in your pocket
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-mo...24037827013043
    Let's look at the big picture:
    • There are 2 billion Android devices in use.
    • Apple says there are 1 billion iOS devices in use.
    • There are about 1.4 billion PCs in use (including about 100 million macOS systems).

So there are around 4.4 billion devices with processors and operating systems in use, and less than a third of them are traditional PCs. The actual market is moving to tablets and smartphones and most of the major PC vendors, are trapped revving last year's product while buyers are moving to much more personal computers. Simply put, it is easier to keep revving last year's products using newer technology than to imagine - in Wayne Gretzky's words - where the puck is going to be.
    11-28-18 11:47 AM
    Not breaking news, as this is from last month, but I am keeping my eyes on weather or not the FDA accepts QNX as the goto RTOS for future medical devices. If so, that would start an avalanche of acceptance world-wide, including NIST!:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2018/08/...e-proposition/

(Quoted from the link above):
    Now, let’s move from the FDA to another government agency, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and its National Vulnerability Database (NVD). This data enables automation of vulnerability management, security measurement, and compliance. The NVD includes databases of security checklist references, misconfigurations, product names, impact metrics, and, most important to our discussions, security-related software flaws. To access this database and see interesting snap shots of QNX vs. Linux from a security vulnerability perspective, please go to https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search, enter the word QNX, then choose the statistics button.
    11-28-18 01:17 PM
    please go to https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search, enter the word QNX, then choose the statistics button.
    Then enter linux and ios and choose the statistics button.
    Corbu, rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    11-28-18 02:42 PM
    [SARCASM]I see a startling correlation of vulnerabilities and stock price btwn AAPL/iOS and Linux distributors (ie Red Hat). All BB needs to do is increase the vulnerabilities in QNX and its stock price should shoot up accordingly![/sarcasm]

11-28-18 04:56 PM
    [SARCASM]I see a startling correlation of vulnerabilities and stock price btwn AAPL/iOS and Linux distributors (ie Red Hat). All BB needs to do is increase the vulnerabilities in QNX and its stock price should shoot up accordingly![/sarcasm]

That lovely difference between causality and correlation that oh so many people get wrong.
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    11-28-18 05:22 PM

LMHO mate.

BB stock price would be at $1,500.00 per share.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    11-28-18 07:48 PM
    From my TD alerts.

BlackBerry to Help Improve Digital Infrastructure for Healthcare2018-11-29 08:30:00 AM ET (PR Newswire)

Company Named HIMSS Analytics Certified Consultant

BlackBerry Limited (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) announced today it has become a HIMSS Analytics Certified Consultant to help address the digital infrastructure needs of healthcare organizations around the world.

https://mma.prnewswire.com/media/726...Berry_Logo.jpg

As a Certified Consultant, BlackBerry will guide healthcare organizations through the stages of the Infrastructure Adoption Model (INFRAM), HIMSS Analytics' newest Maturity Model. Professionally trained on the INFRAM, BlackBerry's cybersecurity experts can assess a healthcare organization's infrastructure architecture and help them achieve their desired INFRAM score.

Similar to the HIMSS Analytics Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model (EMRAM), the INFRAM is an eight stage model (0 - 7) that allows healthcare IT leaders to map the technology infrastructure capabilities required to reach their facility's clinical and operational goals, while meeting industry benchmarks and standards.

"While EMRAM focused on the effective adoption and implementation of EMR technology, hospitals can now look to INFRAM as the model to help solidify their digital infrastructure," said Blain Newton, Executive Vice President, HIMSS Analytics. "With BlackBerry's deep cybersecurity expertise and strong footprint in highly regulated industries we're confident that having BlackBerry at the table will ensure the INFRAM is the gold standard for running a scalable and secure organization."

"Securing communication between doctors, patients, medical devices, and infrastructure is BlackBerry's strength," said Sara Jost, Global Healthcare Industry Lead, BlackBerry. "We're extremely proud to work with HIMSS Analytics to arm healthcare providers with the critical information they need to provide a higher, more secure, level of care."

Reinforcing BlackBerry's momentum in healthcare, today's news comes a month after the company announced several major healthcare developments, including the introduction of a secure blockchain solution to store and share medical data, an ultra-secure operating system for medical devices, and partnerships with Mackenzie Innovation Institute and Melanoma Institute Australia.
    11-29-18 07:43 AM
    11-29-18 08:15 AM
    I didn't really appreciate how toxic the BB name was until the last 10 days or so since the Cylance acquisitions. I've read multiple articles and comments, that were frankly nothing more than combined ignorance and contempt, from people who absolutely should know better such as partners involved in the deal, and security industry big shots and reporters. Rather than spending 30 minutes actually looking into what BB was which would have avoided them looking like a jackass, then instantly jump to a snapshot in their head of what they think it is from the latest info they heard in 2010, and basically roll from there.

If this is the impression that some people supposedly in the know have, what hope is there for someone in some third party company who BB is hoping to sell end point security to? Unfortunately it seems that as soon as the name get mentioned, 101 thoughts pop into people's head, and none of them are good.

I've heard several people posit that what BB needs is another name change. Unfortunately there's no better way to cement the stink of desperation than to do it again. To that end, it's another reason why Cylance (and in hindsight-Good) is such a convenient acquisition. Just to armchair CEO for a second, but if Chen were to quietly move most MDM, EoT stuff under the Cylance banner, it would allow for an almost covert name change, as many people are probably unaware that a merger has even taken place - especially if it continues to operate separately. They also had that opportunity with Good, but sadly they took that company which had some excitement behind it and absorbed it into BB, which didn't.

If you've looked into the psychology of marketing at all, these people are not operating on a purely logical level, but emotional. Apple mastered it. A better product for a better price does not come into it, rather it's "I want an apple iPad, full stop". Blackberry is currently operating at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Unlike a BB EoT salesman who comes in and finds someone who is eagerly trying to politely excuse himself to the bathroom because "Why the hell did he think I needed to buy my grandparents' cell phones", regardless of how much they prattle on about Gartner. A Cylance salesman offering "A new exciting endpoint management system from one of our new partners" could get a 180 degree response. If they research Cylance they will find 'up and coming'. BB not so much.
    11-29-18 09:45 AM
    Unlike a BB EoT salesman who comes in and finds someone who is eagerly trying to politely excuse himself to the bathroom because "Why the hell did he think I needed to buy my grandparents' cell phones", regardless of how much they prattle on about Gartner. A Cylance salesman offering "A new exciting endpoint management system from one of our new partners" could get a 180 degree response. If they research Cylance they will find 'up and coming'. BB not so much.
    I hear that you are frustrated but they really need to put down some excellent numbers and the name/marketing issues are mute. This stock will rally as it always does, but it will hold those gains in the Q's ahead. The easiest stocks to short/trade/dump are the ones without EPS. For the first time in many years we are deploying a massive amount of idle cash into something that will pay us back. Finally, we might just have arrived at the growth party and we are the important company in that group again. I'm really pumped about this deal.
    11-29-18 10:08 AM
    If JC went ahead and changed name to Cylance now, he'd be giving away a fantastic comeback story just as the comeback was about to get off the ground. say what you want about people not being up to date on what BB does, but the one thing most know is that BB = security. cannot agree more with what M8 just wrote, that given some nice numbers, the same people who are bashing BB now will probably do a little two-step and recalibrate what they "know" to be true about BB.
    11-29-18 10:29 AM
    The easiest stocks to short/trade/dump are the ones without EPS. For the first time in many years we are deploying a massive amount of idle cash into something that will pay us back.
    I agree. If we want a higher share price BB will need to increase revenue to juice the EPS. If we want to see a $15 share price BB will have to show us $1 yearly GAAP EPS. Double that if we want to see $30. It seems the only things that will move the share price are increased revenue, margins and earnings. Absent those ingredients it's a trading stock.

Of course if BlackBerry somehow finds itself on the leading edge of security tech, but minus the earnings, that would work too.
    Last edited by W Hoa; 11-29-18 at 12:58 PM.
    11-29-18 10:42 AM
    I agree. You want a higher share price? Bring in revenue and juice the EPS. You want a $15 share price for BB? Show us $1 yearly GAAP EPS. Double that if you want to see $30. The only things that will move the share price are increased revenue, margins and earnings. Absent those ingredients it's a trading stock.

Of course if BlackBerry somehow finds itself on the leading edge of security tech, but minus the earnings, that would work too.
    Share price will only go up with increase revenue/take over / sold for parts
    11-29-18 11:12 AM
    I hear that you are frustrated but they really need to put down some excellent numbers and the name/marketing issues are mute. This stock will rally as it always does, but it will hold those gains in the Q's ahead. The easiest stocks to short/trade/dump are the ones without EPS. For the first time in many years we are deploying a massive amount of idle cash into something that will pay us back. Finally, we might just have arrived at the growth party and we are the important company in that group again. I'm really pumped about this deal.
    As always you are correct, it is just frustration manifesting. It seems that truly the only bullet in the shorts arsenal is "but look at the share price!" as if that sort of self-fulfilling prophecy is reason enough - like the opposite of bitcoin a year ago. At the end of the day this is a better company today than it was at $14, and they just entered into a purchase which is a spectacular fit at a nice price that I like more the more I learn about it. The BB story has been getting better and better, more and more people seem to be coming over to the bullish side - yet the price continues to flirt with 52w lows. As always however water eventually finds its level, but as price goes down despite more and more great news and quarterly beats, it's getting increasingly annoying.

If JC went ahead and changed name to Cylance now, he'd be giving away a fantastic comeback story just as the comeback was about to get off the ground. say what you want about people not being up to date on what BB does, but the one thing most know is that BB = security. cannot agree more with what M8 just wrote, that given some nice numbers, the same people who are bashing BB now will probably do a little two-step and recalibrate what they "know" to be true about BB.
    I wasn't suggesting an actual name change, rather more of a branding change. In much the same way if BB played down the Cylance name and started marketing "AI/ML malware protection by BB" I feel that would be a detriment to sales as it squashes all the goodwill and excitement Cylance has built up over the past few years. At the same time I think QNX and Radar have enough traction on their own that people know those things by those names instead of BB. BB could remain the umbrella name, just down play it during sales and advertising to avoid the negative brand associations.
    11-29-18 02:02 PM
    I wasn't suggesting an actual name change, rather more of a branding change. In much the same way if BB played down the Cylance name and started marketing "AI/ML malware protection by BB" I feel that would be a detriment to sales as it squashes all the goodwill and excitement Cylance has built up over the past few years. At the same time I think QNX and Radar have enough traction on their own that people know those things by those names instead of BB. BB could remain the umbrella name, just down play it during sales and advertising to avoid the negative brand associations.
    Hard to argue with you on that one, as I agree. The way JC has structured Cylance into BB points to him agreeing as well.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    11-29-18 03:14 PM
    More info on today's announcement by BlackBerry (published 10/28/18):

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...structure.html

"Cisco, BlackBerry, Cognizant and Vertitech already have signed on to the program as early certified consultants. HIMSS Analytics will train them on the model criteria so they can assist clients in advancing through the INFRAM's stages."

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    11-29-18 07:15 PM
    Blackberry will stay the same and nothing will change. BlackBerry will continue to be the best at what it does and the ship will continue to sail (not your ship JC.) Lol

Blackberry has always been the best and still is!!!
    morganplus8 likes this.
    11-29-18 07:24 PM
    One more link to info on INFRAM:
    Published by Cisco 10/24/18.

https://blogs.cisco.com/healthcare/i...-organizations

"Since the inception of the model, Cisco has worked closely with HIMSS Analytics as a key collaborator on the pilot program, along with other organizations from around the world. So it’s only natural that Cisco is the model’s first Certified Consultant, engaging and assisting our clients in advancing through maturity model stages."

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    11-29-18 07:25 PM
    11-30-18 07:09 AM
113,250 ... 42924293429442954296 ...