View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-weapons-says/
    Driverless cars could prove to be deadly 'fully loaded weapons' says BlackBerry CEO

09-12-18 01:57 PM
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-weapons-says/
    Driverless cars could prove to be deadly 'fully loaded weapons' says BlackBerry CEO
    That is so "The Fate of the Furious". Can't blame climate change when it starts to rain cars. LOL
    Greened, morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    09-12-18 02:10 PM
    I am a BlackBerry fan as most people on this forum but the market is not buying all these announcement. People are looking for strong results.
    anon(9100201) and techvisor like this.
    09-12-18 02:19 PM
    I would add that all these announcements are getting very little exposure. Very few retweets, views, etc. BB needs to improve its Comm/PR game big time, imho. Old story...
    09-12-18 02:21 PM
    I would add that all these announcements are getting very little exposure. Very few retweets, views, etc. BB needs to improve its Comm/PR game big time, imho.
    You mean there is an area where John Chen does not do a great job? This can not be the case! He is brilliant in everything he is doing, it is the stupid market that does not understand it and there valuing BB much lower than peers.

But market will rub their eyes in surprise, if (ever) John Chen starts to execute. Until then....
    anon(4086547) and techvisor like this.
    09-12-18 02:27 PM
    You mean there is an area where John Chen does not do a great job? This can not be the case! He is brilliant in everything he is doing, it is the stupid market that does not understand it and there valuing BB much lower than peers.
    Enough, already.
    09-12-18 02:28 PM
    Enough, already.
    Why? He's right, Chen has been absent for over a year now, every word simply to cause share price erosion. Where's the PR, does this company still think their brand has goodwill after all their failings and destruction to almost every stakeholder possible?
    09-12-18 02:31 PM
    Why? He's right, Chen has been absent for over a year now, every word simply to cause share price erosion. Where's the PR, does this company still think their brand has goodwill after all their failings and destruction to almost every stakeholder possible?
    Are you kidding me? What brand goodwill do you think BB had at time right before Chen joined company? It had become one word punchline for multiple jokes. It joined the ranks of Nortel and other illustrious Canadian brands overwhelmed by the mighty companies South of the Border. Then adding insult to injury, Fairfax hires a chieftain from South of the Border to show everyone how it’s done. Every comparison to Chen and BB has been to some other mighty and better run American company. Show me one Canadian brand, company or executive brought up in all the Chen bashing. I’ve read all the comments about Chen traveling back and forth. Apparently, the suggestion from the complaining few are that Chen and BB should move the company and the remaining jobs South of the Border to Chen’s backyard where Apple, Google and the rest of tech reside in Silicon Valley.

Point is, you’re bashing someone that saved a Canadian outfit when others would have moved the company to make life easier and be closer to where all the action really is. That alone would add 15% to share price on any given day... if you want a real splash, don’t go halfway. Imagine the notoriety and publicity with that announcement. Be careful what you wish for. Chen has done wonders for BB and he’s done it with Canadian modesty even when unnecessary. The company wasn’t and isn’t culturally Apple, Google or Tesla. Unfortunately, the culture of BB was created in Canada, long before Chen.

Apologies to all my Canadian friends here. I’m not really against Canada. Merely pointing out, Steve Jobs himself couldn’t do any better with the BB cards that Chen was dealt in beginning and continues to play with due to BB culture of 25 years.
    09-12-18 03:03 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Are you kidding me? What brand goodwill do you think BB had at time right before Chen joined company? It had become one word punchline for multiple jokes. It joined the ranks of Nortel and other illustrious Canadian brands overwhelmed by the mighty companies South of the Border. Then adding insult to injury, Fairfax hires a chieftain from South of the Border to show everyone how it’s done. Every comparison to Chen and BB has been to some other mighty and better run American company. Show me one Canadian brand, company or executive brought up in all the Chen bashing. I’ve read all the comments about Chen traveling back and forth. Apparently, the suggestion from the complaining few are that Chen and BB should move the company and the remaining jobs South of the Border to Chen’s backyard where Apple, Google and the rest of tech reside in Silicon Valley.

Point is, you’re bashing someone that saved a Canadian outfit when others would have moved the company to make life easier and be closer to where all the action really is. That alone would add 15% to share price on any given day... if you want a real splash, don’t go halfway. Imagine the notoriety and publicity with that announcement. Be careful what you wish for. Chen has done wonders for BB and he’s done it with Canadian modesty even when unnecessary. The company wasn’t and isn’t culturally Apple, Google or Tesla. Unfortunately, the culture of BB was created in Canada, long before Chen.

Apologies to all my Canadian friends here. I’m not really against Canada. Merely pointing out, Steve Jobs himself couldn’t do any better with the BB cards that Chen was dealt in beginning and continues to play with due to BB culture of 25 years.
    What nonsense are you talking about?..."moving closer to where the action is"..

..do you know anything about anything outside of your US of A? You sound like a typical "uninformed" American lol

... for your "info", the Waterloo area is Silicon Valley North and based around the MIT of Canada..University of Waterloo...home to over 40 percent of all tech startups in Canada, including yes.. the originator of the smart phone... BlackBerry... Waterloo.

More CS grads come out of there and more tech innovation than most places world wide... Bill Gates himself often said he hired more Computer Science grads from U of Waterloo than any other university in the world, throughout his tenure at MS..

Canadian Location has nothing to do with BlackBerry's current problems nor its past downfall...

Posted via CB10
    Greened likes this.
    09-12-18 03:51 PM
    ... for your "info", the Waterloo area is Silicon Valley North and based around the MIT of Canada..University of Waterloo...home to over 40 percent of all tech startups in Canada, including yes.. the originator of the smart phone... BlackBerry... Waterloo.
    In all fairness, any sentence that adds "north" after Silicon Valley makes me think of north of the wall in game of thrones. and I am from Norway. I, and the market, really don't care if the Waterloo region is the best thing since sliced bread. its not silicon valley.

More CS grads come out of there and more tech innovation than most places world wide... Bill Gates himself often said he hired more Computer Science grads from U of Waterloo than any other university in the world, throughout his tenure at MS..
    ehm.. it's a very hard sell to say that if somebody south of the border hired many talented folks from north of the boarder, that equates to the north of the border being where it's happening. if that was the case, he wouldn't have been able to hire them, no? that the uni is great I have no doubt, but yeah.

Canadian Location has nothing to do with BlackBerry's current problems nor its past downfall...
    be that as it may, but his point was that BB doesn't get any points from the street on account of it not being south of the border.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 09-12-18 at 04:37 PM.
    09-12-18 04:23 PM

But market will rub their eyes in surprise, if (ever) John Chen starts to execute. Until then....
    sometimes muhlan, the best thing to do is to stfu. that you want to rain on every parade and ALWAYS find a negative angle is beyond old. to quote a drag queen (who got in some trouble for this comment I might add*); go play in some traffic.

*and then google it and find out why it's ok for me to write that.
    Corbu, Greened, Hazo and 2 others like this.
    09-12-18 04:26 PM
    Chen launches a brand new EOT platform = being absent for years. in a sense, a black and white world is easy to relate to, as it is either black or white. the only issue I take with this and other post, is that the world isn't black or white. trump seems to want it that way, but something tells me that won't end in the best of ways. so please do better.
    Last edited by FeitaInc; 09-13-18 at 03:57 AM.
    Corbu, Greened and rarsen like this.
    09-12-18 04:30 PM
    What nonsense are you talking about?..."moving closer to where the action is"..

..do you know anything about anything outside of your US of A? You sound like a typical "uninformed" American lol

Posted via CB10
    Try reading my comments and remove the Canadian glasses. Read my last paragraph. What I’m suggesting is that part of BB problem is the culture of the company was broken at time of implosion and it would have been perfect time for company relocation. If you think people are clamoring to move to Waterloo from various geographic locales around the planet, you’re ignoring other tech destinations like Silicon Valley but not only there.

Imagine what new graduates think when graduating... I want to go to Apple, Google, Microsoft, Tesla and other companies..... I don’t mean just USA locations. All the great tech companies have locations in other countries including Canada.

My original reply started tongue in cheek at the “brand goodwill” of BB. At time of implosion and up till now, there’s been a negative equity to upward movement. Still walk into any place with 100-1000 people and conduct one word response test from saying BlackBerry, and what positive replies do you think one gets? Unfortunately, renaming BB shortly before Chen joined was really putting Chen inside a small dirty box. If possible, going back to RIM would probably do wonders except it would highlight the mistake in the first place. BB is slowly rebuilding brand equity, but it will take a long time for the jokes to end.

For the record, if Bill Gates hired people from Waterloo, how long ago was that? How many eons ago? Times have changed. That was 1-1/2 generations ago that Microsoft and Bill Gates were doing version 1.0 and Google was practically a baby. All three companies along with Amazon now comprise at or close to one trillion market caps. Regardless of how many verses we sing O Canada, where are those companies located? My comment is not to bash Canada. I’m pointing out that Chen hasn’t taken some easy steps to rebuild the psychological culture of BB with HQ relocation. When laying off the bulk of the staff five years ago, he could have relocated the HQ with little opposition. Someone has pointed out, he didn’t move to Waterloo. I’m just suggesting that wasn’t the single option he could exercise at time. Be careful what you wish for when you’re think options are just A or B. C-Z are possibilities, with C-F as probabilities.

Since Obama was such a crappy leader, dividing the country with Chicago politics, you end up with 16-17 people that all claim are better candidates than with Trump, yet he’s the president of the mightiest country on earth, good or bad, it’s fact..... I was pointing out again, if not Chen, who else wanted the job? Another Mike L or Jim B? They’re responsible for the mess to begin with.
    09-12-18 04:53 PM
    Chen launches a brand new EOT platform = being absent for years. in a sense, a black and white world is easy to relate to, as it is either black and white. the only issue I take with this and other post, is that the world isn't black or white. trump seems to want it that way, but something tells me that won't end in the best of ways. so please do better.
    How about I put it this way, the major problem with BlackBerry was always transparency. Chen went ahead and killed transparency altogether and then failed to deliver.

While many feel he saved the company, he was given a goldmine, instead he half assed the hw division, then used the failure as an I told you so, he pretty much shut down the company, slowly worked on SW, went and pushed for an extremely greedy pay package considering its a Canadian company, no CEO bringing home that much - all the while Chen originally claimed it would take 3 years, and here we are 5 years in, Chen needs a huge pay package, needs another 5 years, slow growth considering the environment during a massive tech run, no buyers, patents not monetized, Chen still living abroad, no PR from company, most think company is dead, no products that seemingly generate profit, absent executives, continue to hold events that are announced months in advance with no material products/services that generate revenue, more promises, next quarter Chen, share price as low as before Qualcomm settlement, proceeds from which were used for insider stock compensation, buyback announced and never completed while company was so called 'cheap', Watsa debenture anchoring share price while he gets free interest and whereby company doesn't even need the cash nor used the cash, government bailouts and purchase agreements backfired on government wherein BlackBerry continued to post losses and has deferred $1.2 billion in tax deferred assets, failure to communicate how revenues were shifted to deferred revenues, sandbagging ER for 5 years, making fun of company, not seemingly understanding company, no word, all attention from stock gone shareholders have disappeared, major institutional holders starting to aggressively dump positions however few buyers in sight. A move to the NYSE and symbol change driving even more SH's away, focusing on such things when he can't even grow the company well. Patent sales to drive patent revenue, failure to monetize most patents which are for form factor, keyboard designs,...

The biggest FU by Chen was with his "stay tuned" and nonsense that trapped longs in this game for so many years. Most of all I can't even comprehend how the myriad of conflicts of interest seem to be non-points when it comes to BlackBerry, Chen and Watsa sitting on the BOD certainly raises many concerns.

I mean I could go on for ages, bottom line is that Chen is a fail in the eyes of the market, and I can't disagree. The people who pump only create other bagholders.
    09-12-18 04:53 PM
    How about I put it this way, the major problem with BlackBerry was always transparency. Chen went ahead and killed transparency altogether and then failed to deliver.

While many feel he saved the company, he was given a goldmine, instead he half assed the hw division, then used the failure as an I told you so, he pretty much shut down the company, slowly worked on SW, went and pushed for an extremely greedy pay package considering its a Canadian company, no CEO bringing home that much - all the while Chen originally claimed it would take 3 years, and here we are 5 years in, Chen needs a huge pay package, needs another 5 years, slow growth considering the environment during a massive tech run, no buyers, patents not monetized, Chen still living abroad, no PR from company, most think company is dead, no products that seemingly generate profit, absent executives, continue to hold events that are announced months in advance with no material products/services that generate revenue, more promises, next quarter Chen, share price as low as before Qualcomm settlement, proceeds from which were used for insider stock compensation, buyback announced and never completed while company was so called 'cheap', Watsa debenture anchoring share price while he gets free interest and whereby company doesn't even need the cash nor used the cash, government bailouts and purchase agreements backfired on government wherein BlackBerry continued to post losses and has deferred $1.2 billion in tax deferred assets, failure to communicate how revenues were shifted to deferred revenues, sandbagging ER for 5 years, making fun of company, not seemingly understanding company, no word, all attention from stock gone shareholders have disappeared, major institutional holders starting to aggressively dump positions however few buyers in sight. A move to the NYSE and symbol change driving even more SH's away, focusing on such things when he can't even grow the company well. Patent sales to drive patent revenue, failure to monetize most patents which are for form factor, keyboard designs,...

The biggest FU by Chen was with his "stay tuned" and nonsense that trapped longs in this game for so many years. Most of all I can't even comprehend how the myriad of conflicts of interest seem to be non-points when it comes to BlackBerry, Chen and Watsa sitting on the BOD certainly raises many concerns.

I mean I could go on for ages, bottom line is that Chen is a fail in the eyes of the market, and I can't disagree. The people who pump only create other bagholders.
    You have a funny definition of goldmine. If so, why did nobody actually purchase BB? Who do suggest would actually have better creds than Chen that at minimum would have implemented his strategy or implemented some better strategy that I’d love for you share with specifics. Additionally, how much do you think your hypothetical CEO would cost?
    09-12-18 05:07 PM
    For what it's worth... Our company uses VMware AirWatch for accessing corporate files from our mobile phones. Just got a notice that they are rebranding AirWatch to "Workspace ONE". Sounds more like BlackBerry Workspaces now?

Posted via CB10
    09-12-18 05:20 PM
    You have a funny definition of goldmine. If so, why did nobody actually purchase BB? Who do suggest would actually have better creds than Chen that at minimum would have implemented his strategy or implemented some better strategy that I’d love for you share with specifics. Additionally, how much do you think your hypothetical CEO would cost?
    Chen portrayed the company as rebounding quickly, it was never done, it was stopped dead in most it's activities that would support failure, he could clean shop, take his time, create a slow but exponential growth trajectory while the hw died into a the growing sw business limiting EPS while securing his pay package but at the expense of shareholders. Consider for a minute they had cash, never used much of the it, had unneeded debt from the looks of it, otherwise why hold and pay interest on the cash? Staggered releases way far out for everything, killing interest. It seems Chen was hellbent on killing the hw division, not a bad idea but took much longer and for way more because Watsa and Chen together seem to be squeezing a lot from shareholders so far. I think there's a reason he's called 'next quarter Chen' on other boards.

Perhaps Chen did save the company from further disaster but could have done a lot more and had most shareholders lose or exit altogether (happening again FYI) he's seemed very passive on BlackBerry, like it's a hobby, we need a true visionary, someone who projects an image of strength and confidence in the company. A real deal maker.

To end with some good news (http://crweworld.com/article/news-pr...w-eot-platform)
    In transportation, BlackBerry Spark allows connected vehicles to communicate in real-time with other vehicles and critical infrastructure because the data transferred inside and outside the vehicle is encrypted and certified by BlackBerry Spark as genuine. For example, a salt truck could be deployed automatically to address a patch of black ice after receiving a notification from a connected vehicle

This above bodes well, this is what BlackBerry appeared to be working on for some time with traffic light interfacing, since they were already so ingrained in the auto industry in multiple tiers and infrastructure, this could result in an eventual paid service to have BlackBerry Spark, where every piece of infrastructure might have some licensing fee to use it, this is where the growth is exponential and once IOT takes off will greatly boost ER.
    09-12-18 05:26 PM
    As a proud Canadian I am proud that BlackBerry has its roots in this country but I also think that it might have hurt them during their tough transition.

The fact that BlackBerry now has an office in California and has a fairly large presence in the valley doesn't hurt them, it only helps them.

I don't think it was lack of talent that did BlackBerry in during the smartphone wars, the talent in the Waterloo region appears quite strong. I do think it would have been and still may be harder to attract SOME American talent to the region.

This isn't unique to BlackBerry or to Waterloo or even to tech. Professional sports teams also have this issue and other cities can face issues with attracting talent.

When I was in banking, our office in Calgary was putting through insane numbers and some of my Toronto colleagues couldn't figure it out. A lot of them had this notion that Calgary was a bunch of cowboys drinking bottled beer with their horses tied to a post outside the bank.

Having a global footprint is ever so important and I look forward to John Chen and company bringing BlackBerry to glory wherever they are located.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-18 05:30 PM
    Now here for some great news Introducing a New Secure Manufacturing Service to Win Consumer Trust | Inside BlackBerry

If they can get a sales team and push this, lots of opportunity and revenue!

Only caveat, like many other BlackBerry posts, few views, few if no comments and little word on actual details to get into place, most importantly lack of real PR.

Anyways all, this is a loungechair CEO board, what do we all know, things take time to happen...
    Last edited by dalinxz; 09-12-18 at 07:35 PM.
    09-12-18 07:22 PM
    Chen launches a brand new EOT platform = being absent for years. in a sense, a black and white world is easy to relate to, as it is either black and white. the only issue I take with this and other post, is that the world isn't black or white. trump seems to want it that way, but something tells me that won't end in the best of ways. so please do better.
    BB has launched a lot of great products over the last five years (BB WorkLife Persona, BB Radar, BB Jarvis), but was never able to generate meaningful (+30% yoy) revenue growth. IMHO that is a massive failure of John Chen and his team in execution. And John Chen telling shareholders every quarter that BB needs to start execution only to not execute does make make things not better.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-12-18 11:25 PM

Great points, unfortunately no one of the John Chen fanboys will find any valid points to argue against these points so they will write their general "John Chen is best, get lost or stfu" Kindergarten nonesense.

If the BOD would do its job, they would bring the same questions toward John Chen and his management team, but instead they are crafting absurd compensation packages for John Chen, while stuffing hundreds of thousands of $ every years in their own pockets. And one of them gets millions of $ of interest payments for debt BB does not need in addition. Corporate governance like at Chinese companies.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-12-18 11:33 PM
    This "why had nobody bought" question is useless since you could ask the same about AAPL, AMD, NVDA, NFLX and many more.

His hypothetical CEO could have not cost much more than John Chen, one of the highest paid CEOs.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-12-18 11:35 PM
    Also why is Chen so tight lipped about progress, building up these surprises then releasing it in a dump that is hard to understand like today. Many other times where share price needed support only to have an exodus of large institutions like OTPP,...
    09-13-18 12:15 AM
    Also why is Chen so tight lipped about progress, building up these surprises then releasing it in a dump that is hard to understand like today. Many other times where share price needed support only to have an exodus of large institutions like OTPP,...
    John Chen is acting as if BB was a private company and he was the owner. Sandbagging, marketing mostly based on YouTube clips and blogs and an ignorant and arrogant attitude towards what it needs to lead a public company.
    Last edited by muhlan001; 09-13-18 at 03:10 AM.
    elfabio80 and techvisor like this.
    09-13-18 02:10 AM
    https://www.arnnet.com.au/article/64...-look-channel/
    How BlackBerry is building a new-look channel

09-13-18 06:13 AM
113,256 ... 42664267426842694270 ...