View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    UEM roll out in NZ. Small but give us some insight on things going on in this competitive space.

" The healthcare management organisation's chief information officer Alistair Vickers said the big drawcard for the UEM was its low cost and a simple per-user licence, and Windows 10 laptop compatibility.

Local telcos bidding for the three-year device management contract lost out to Blackberry integrator ISEC7 as they asked for pricier and more complex per-device licensing schemes, Vickers said."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12110976
    Great business concept from John Chen: instead of offering the best technical solution BB is offering just the cheapest solution. Bodes well for revenues and profits going forward.
    techvisor likes this.
    08-22-18 12:18 AM
    Great business concept from John Chen: instead of offering the best technical solution BB is offering just the cheapest solution. Bodes well for revenues and profits going forward.
    Do you have any, and I mean ANY, basis for that statement? any facts to support it, or is it pure conjecture yet again?

I would be hard pressed to say that a) the pricing model BB has for a non-profit is indicative of the general pricing strategy. b) ever heard of up-selling? c) they got the contract and free publicity too! how can that be a negative?
    rarsen, Corbu, berry_f30 and 3 others like this.
    08-22-18 03:53 AM
    Do you have any, and I mean ANY, basis for that statement? any facts to support it, or is it pure conjecture yet again?

I would be hard pressed to say that a) the pricing model BB has for a non-profit is indicative of the general pricing strategy. b) ever heard of up-selling? c) they got the contract and free publicity too! how can that be a negative?
    Just read the article: BB won the contract not because it had the best but the cheapest solution
    techvisor likes this.
    08-22-18 04:08 AM
    Just read the article: BB won the contract not because it had the best but the cheapest solution
    I read the article and it said BB won due to "...its low cost and a simple per-user licence,". when you win something, why you won isn't always more important than that you did.

It did not say anything about it not being the best, so why you would drag that into your argument appears to be just to find a negative spin. JC has been crystal clear on that the MDD business is being highly commoditised, and in that kind of market, getting the revenue you can while having the potential to do up-selling later on seems a wise strategy. other than that, see points a) through c) in my previous post.
    rarsen, Corbu, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    08-22-18 05:30 AM
    More about Compass Health (PR?):
    https://australiancybersecuritymagaz...th-blackberry/
    Primary Health Organisation enforces data security and mobility with BlackBerry

08-22-18 07:18 AM
    08-22-18 08:37 AM
    Great, after Kleidermacher John Chen let the next CSO go. Good to see all the good people are leaving while the crappy ones like Carl Wiese, John Chen and the rest of his Sybase buddies are still on board to further ruin the company
    techvisor likes this.
    08-22-18 09:59 AM
    Hard to unterstand why some like a post that shows another talent has left BlackBerry while the overpaid management is still there
    techvisor likes this.
    08-22-18 10:02 AM
    Hard to unterstand why some like a post that shows another talent has left BlackBerry while the overpaid management is still there
    How did Sybase do with Chen and his team’s performance for shareholders?
    Greened likes this.
    08-22-18 10:14 AM
    How did Sybase do with Chen and his team’s performance for shareholders?
    Much better than they did at BB, so even worse that they are still in control of the company
    techvisor likes this.
    08-22-18 11:11 AM
    So I am keen to see how the departure of Alex Manea could be spun positive from the John Chen fanboys on this board
    techvisor likes this.
    08-22-18 12:03 PM
    Much better than they did at BB, so even worse that they are still in control of the company
    just out of curiosity, have you actually looked at the time it took JC et al to turn around Sybase?

hopefully there are better ones out there, but here is a graph that shows the above. care to reconsider your words muhlan?
    08-22-18 12:05 PM
    Lyft/Aptiv achieve some early milestone. Note that Aptiv ( formerly know as Delphi Automotive ) is partnered with QNX .

https://ir.aptiv.com/investors/press...m/default.aspx

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/21/1...gas-5000-trips
    08-22-18 12:46 PM
    just out of curiosity, have you actually looked at the time it took JC et al to turn around Sybase?

hopefully there are better ones out there, but here is a graph that shows the above. care to reconsider your words muhlan?
    John Chen is heading BlackBerry, a company that has foot in autonomous driving, messaging and UEM and still he was not able to generate more return for shareholders than a money market funds since he became CEO.

So no, I do not care what he did at Sybase and how long it took. I care for what he is doing right now and that is next to zero besides cashing in huge compensation packages.
    techvisor likes this.
    08-22-18 12:58 PM
    John Chen is heading BlackBerry, a company that has foot in autonomous driving, messaging and UEM and still he was not able to generate more return for shareholders than a money market funds since he became CEO.

So no, I do not care what he did at Sybase and how long it took. I care for what he is doing right now and that is next to zero besides cashing in huge compensation packages.
    QNX should have focused on autonomous driving... before Apple starting hiring everyone away.
    anon(9100201) and techvisor like this.
    08-22-18 03:42 PM
    Very similar to the Apple case a few years ago, & has implications for BlackBerry depending on how this turns out.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/faceboo...ews-27830.html

Posted via CB10
    Greened likes this.
    08-22-18 05:31 PM
    BlackBerry lawsuit update:
    https://www.law360.com/articles/1075...ry-patent-suit

Posted via CB10
    08-22-18 08:03 PM
    On the same topic:
    https://www.law.com/therecorder/2018...20180722210757
    BlackBerry Mostly Survives Facebook's and Snap's Section 101 Attack

U.S. District Judge George Wu says it's too early in the litigation to knock out more than just a few of the challenged patent claims.

By Scott Graham | August 22, 2018 at 07:53 PM

BlackBerry Limited has mostly survived an early Section 101 attack on the eligibility of mobile messaging patents it’s asserting against Facebook Inc. and Snap Inc.

U.S. District Judge George Wu knocked out claims from one of the seven challenged patents but otherwise denied Facebook’s and Snap’s motions to dismiss, albeit without prejudice to raising the motions again later in the case.

“Without more information, the court at this stage cannot conclude as a matter of law that the claims are drawn to patent-ineligible subject matter,” Wu wrote in one part of his 27-page order.

The ruling keeps alive most of a case brought by a Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan team led by partner James Asperger. Partners Jordan Jaffe and Ray Zado also argued for BlackBerry at an Aug. 3 hearing.

BlackBerry no longer makes its own mobile phones, but it still holds a trove of mobile technology patents. It asserted them against Facebook and Snap earlier this year, which fired back with motions challenging several as covering “ancient concepts” such as “who gets a message, how it is sent and the manner of notification.”

Specifically, the challenged patents cover displaying an icon that indicates the number of messaging correspondents who’ve sent unread messages; a system for pushing targeted advertising to a mobile device based on a triggering event; selectively displaying time stamps based on the time elapsed between messages; and using locations services to find nearby social activity.

Only Snap challenged the time stamp patent, U.S. Patent 8,301,713. Paul Hastings partner Yar Chaikovsky argued for Snap that courts, for one example, have been time-stamping documents for centuries and merely doing it on a computer doesn’t make it eligible for patenting. Wu agreed that the patent’s three independent claims are ineligible, saying they used language that’s too broad. “BlackBerry effectively concedes that there are no limits on what constitutes a ‘predetermined duration of time’” between messages, Wu wrote.

But Wu turned away the rest of Snap’s and Facebook’s challenges, relying frequently on the Federal Circuit’s recent Core Wireless decision that strengthened eligibility for graphical user interface patents, and its Berkheimer decision that discouraged early resolution of eligibility when factual disputes are in play.

Facebook, represented by a Cooley team led by partner Heidi Keefe, had argued that merely displaying a number on an icon, as with the 8,209,634 message notification patent, is an unprotectable abstract idea. But Wu wrote that displaying “a very particular type of data in a very particular way” is not abstract after Core Wireless.

Facebook argued that the targeted advertising patents, Nos. 8,296,351 and 8,676,929, recited a generic computer server for pushing out content in a conventional manner. Wu said it was too soon to rule on that challenge but wrote in a footnote that if the server does prove to be generic, “legal authority would suggest that at least the independent claims of the ’351 Patent are drawn to patent-ineligible concepts.”

Finally, Wu left standing the patents on locating nearby social activity, despite Snap’s arguments that military generals have long studied the formation of nearby troops and news companies have reported on automobile traffic patterns. “Snap’s examples do not allow for the same level of specific information tailored by location for a particular individual or the ability to adapt the displayed information based on changes in the individual’s location,” Wu wrote.

He again sounded a skeptical note, saying that “the issue herein may not be a Section 101 problem at all but, rather, questions as to novelty, obviousness and/or enablement.”

While leaving the vast majority of patent claims intact, Wu dismissed BlackBerry’s claim for willful infringement—for the time being eliminating the possibility of treble damages—but granting leave to amend pending discovery.
    08-22-18 08:08 PM
    Will generate no interest or increased revenues just like BlackBerry Enterprise Brigde, BlackBerry Radar or BlackBerry Jarvis. Carl Wiese and John Chen are doing a horrible job in sales, both need their salary being reduced to 1$ until they have built a sucessfull sales force.
    BlackBerry also doesn't promote their items well... "Desktop", "Blend", "Link", I keep downloading computer apps to connect to my BlackBerry but I'm like they keep making new software to do the job of the old? I'm like this isn't a good use of company resources just writing apps for the sake of writing them.
    Last edited by Digital_Islandboy; 08-22-18 at 11:47 PM.
    08-22-18 11:35 PM
    August 21, 2018

BlackBerry Limited v. Facebook, Inc. et al; Case No. 2:18-cv-01844-GW-(KSx)
    BlackBerry Limited v. Snap Inc.; Case No. 2:18-cv-02693-GW-(KSx)

Final Rulings on: (1) Facebook Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss, and (2) Defendant Snap’s
    Motion to Dismiss

https://images.law.com/contrib/conte...der-on-MTD.pdf
    08-23-18 07:04 AM
    BlackBerry also doesn't promote their items well... "Desktop", "Blend", "Link", I keep downloading computer apps to connect to my BlackBerry but I'm like they keep making new software to do the job of the old? I'm like this isn't a good use of company resources just writing apps for the sake of writing them.
    They haven't put "resources" into those products in years....

When they were hoping to sell 10's of millions of phones a year... those products were minor afterthoughts. When that reality ended, so did those products.
    08-23-18 09:32 AM
    Warm up for September ER, preparing for the worst:

- missed revenues and EPS
    - lowered outlook
    - John Chen taking out any enthusiasm for QNX by pointing again and again that the quarterly revenues are the new base without any growth until 2020
    - no news about BlackBerry Jarvis, BlackBerry Radar
    - much talk about huge interest for BlackBerry Enterprise Bridge, BlackBerry Ransomware Solution that will never result in any meaningful revenues
    - no word about Alex Manea leaving the company
    - bad jokes about some customers
    - share price crashing below 8$
    - John Chen fanboys out in droves to find arguments why John is the best CEO despite his proven incompetence and calling everybody a racists who criticizes John Chen for his bad track record at BlackBerry

I really hope John Chen this time proves me wrong, but I have no high hopes for it. In the meantime EVBG and TWLO at ATH being valued 15 EV/Sales while BB is at ATL being valued at 5 EV/Sales
    08-23-18 02:05 PM
    08-23-18 02:19 PM
    Damn. Another reason I feel I'll refrain from any Android phone. The charts speak for themselves.
    08-23-18 04:10 PM
    It's starting to hit other news sites, but I am sure they will present it like Reuters did, to make it look like a loss for BlackBerry by highlighting:

"U.S. District Judge George Wu in Los Angeles granted a motion by Snap, the technology company behind the popular Snapchat messaging service, to dismiss BlackBerry’s infringement allegations"

https://www.reuters.com/article/ip-b...-idUSL2N1VE1R5

Posted via CB10
    08-23-18 07:30 PM
113,256 ... 42584259426042614262 ...