View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    good week. got icewine picked and juice delivered. now this!

just need SPHS to kick in now!
    12-20-17 08:55 AM
    Wow look at that volume over 11mm in the first hour.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, alludba and Greened like this.
    12-20-17 09:04 AM
    I don't get why the stock seems to be stuck at $11.90.... Should be at least in the high $12s.
    anon(9100201) likes this.
    12-20-17 09:20 AM
    I don't get why the stock seems to be stuck at $11.90.... Should be at least in the high $12s.
    Gravity, sometimes it's just plain gravity...
    12-20-17 09:22 AM
    Interesting to note presence of more balanced positive analysis:

History Repeats, So Repeat This Blackberry (BB) Trade - Nasdaq.com
    "Three months ago, Blackberry reported top and bottom line beats and gave an optimistic outlook, and the stock followed its initial surge by adding another fifteen percent over the next two weeks. The timescale may be a little longer this time around, but there is potential for even higher returns, so repeating the trade is a smart thing to do."
    Corbu, morganplus8, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    12-20-17 09:44 AM
    Andrew McCreath
    https://www.bnn.ca/video/~1288543
    McCreath: 75% of BlackBerry's revenues now recurring
    BNN Commentator Andrew McCreath discusses the latest quarterly earnings from BlackBerry as they beat estimates.
    12-20-17 10:01 AM
    Really solid results. These guys are definitely on the right track!
    12-20-17 10:26 AM
    Playing devil advocate here. Could someone explain to me how continued declining revenue is a good thing? We have never had in increase in YoY or QoQ revenue increase since 2011. As far as I can see this company is still shrinking.
    12-20-17 10:29 AM
    12-20-17 10:39 AM
    Playing devil advocate here. Could someone explain to me how continued declining revenue is a good thing? We have never had in increase in YoY or QoQ revenue increase since 2011. As far as I can see this company is still shrinking.
    The only segment that really matters in the long run is growing nicely. The new BB is obviously a much smaller company than the old BB. We all expected that. The point though, is that the new BB is growing nicely in segments that will grow overall quite a bit in 2019 and beyond. So this makes this now a solid investment, IMO.
    12-20-17 10:44 AM
    Hardware revenue was enormous but unprofitable. Every $1.00 sold costs $1.10. The more volume, the more losses. BBOS and BB10 hardware revenue adds up at $300/device. But if you're losing $200/device with every sale, that's revenue you can do without...

Growth is only good when it's profitable, especially for the long term.
    bbjdog, dusdal and La Emperor like this.
    12-20-17 10:45 AM
    But BB is not growing. They posted a 25% decline in revenue this quarter. This is what I have trouble wrapping my head around. Or to put in another way. When do you guys expect that BB's revenue will actually be higher than previous quarter or year?
    12-20-17 10:51 AM
    BTW, loved how JC ended the call with a "Rumour has it I'll be making a big announcement at the Auto Show"...
    Yeah loving this guy
    bbjdog and Greened like this.
    12-20-17 10:53 AM
    Personal question if you don't mind. The last time I saw you have sold before the ER... did you get back in before this ER?
    12-20-17 10:57 AM
    But BB is not growing. They posted a 25% decline in revenue this quarter. This is what I have trouble wrapping my head around. Or to put in another way. When do you guys expect that BB's revenue will actually be higher than previous quarter or year?
    They posted a Year over Year decline but their Quarter over Quarter numbers are at record levels again. You can't look at hardware when it isn't included in their future. The numbers are simply stunning when you consider that not too long ago, analysts panned the stock because the Good Tech purchase resulted in artificial gains and made the Software business look better than it actually was. They claimed that in fact, BlackBerry's portion of the Software revenues were actually shrinking. Today we can say that this simply isn't true, they are growing Software at a record pace and they are achieving sector leading margins while they do it. Chen mentioned last quarter that they had staffing problems otherwise they would be able to grow the business at a faster pace. Today, he has proven this to be the case and it is a broad based growth at that.

The net result is that the stock is at a 3-year high, let's get past the next two days and let some Funds close their books for this year and then you can see how well the stock will respond to the news. The next 4 weeks look great. In addition, we get some upgrades to boot!

As an exercise, pull out the hardware component for the past few quarters and it becomes clear that BB is growing at a great pace now.
    12-20-17 11:02 AM
    They had less revenue, because they sold less hardware. However, the hardware revenue caused profit-loss, so shedding that revenue is a good thing.

$199mil of the $235mil revenue this quarter is software, which is expected to keep growing rapidly. That means that BlackBerry does not have any more declining revenue streams, so moving forward, overall revenue will grow.

This quarter quite definitely marks the bottoming of revenue. BlackBerry only needs to grow software revenue by 18% YoY (expected industry average) to beat this quarter's total overall revenue next year at this time.

With every passing quarter, BlackBerry is signing more recurring revenue contracts that will continue to accumulate.
    morganplus8, sidhuk, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    12-20-17 11:04 AM
    First off I do believe that last quarter they did see QoQ growth, but ignoring that, you need to remember the point of a company is to make profit. That is bottom line number. Top line revenues, ad a host of other accounting numbers are merely indicative, but not necessarily directly related to bottom line. If you're a typical manufacturer, then generally yes, top and bottom line are almost directly related. You make a widget for $50, sell it for $100, have $25 overhead, and $25 profit. Easy. The more revenue you get, the more profit you make. That isn't the case here. Think of BB instead as several discrete companies.

You have two which are winding down, with decreasing revs and profits, and while ultimately going to 0, but do have some value before the flame burns out. These are hardware and SAF. As a long term investment, these are largely worthless, and only value is in the time-discounted, decreasing, periodic payment, like a mortgage.

The other company is where the value lay. That is the software side. It's revenues, customers, income streams are all increasing. Bottom line profit isn't there yet, but it's being setup in such a way that it will be.

In a sense, we have a company that combines sears and amazon in one stock. If you could only value them together how would you do it? With Sears shutting down, it's going to cut the cumulative revenues of both companies considerably. However, the actual profit will go up, because every dollar in revenue from sears, resulted in -0.05 dollars in profit, which is what your after at the end of the day.

I never understood the huge love affair with top line numbers, as that only ever tells half the story, and the least important half. Revenues are easy to manufacture. I can buy gold at market price and sell it for $10 under market price. I bet I would have a lot of customers, and scaleable revenues well into 10 figures if I wanted. But at the end of the day does that really matter if I'm losing money?
    12-20-17 11:14 AM
    12-20-17 11:23 AM
    Well I was nervous going into today but couldn't be happier with how it played out. It seemed like the setup was quite similar to June of this year, and the huge disappointment that followed. Given the lack of warnings for that ER, and given that Chen recently made a point of talking about 'lumpiness' and 'not all good, but more good quarters than bad', I was definitely concerned.

I'm also still annoyed at the games that seem to be being played with this stock. a 67 cent swing from our early high to a low at 1130? Seems a bit much to be just profit taking, and despite 2 months of non-stop good news releases and partnerships, and a great ER, some people honestly valuing the stock at less than the day it switched over the the NYSE? Regardless, I've been holding and increasing my position for over 5 years, so I can wait a little longer until it gets to the point where I can look at it and say it's honestly overvalued and time to sell out.
    La Emperor likes this.
    12-20-17 11:31 AM
    https://www.bnn.ca/video/blackberry-...-in-q3~1288649
    Blackberry shares rise after surprising with an earnings beat in Q3

Santosh Rao, Head of Research, Manhattan Venture Partners joins us to talk about Blackberry's latest quarter.
    12-20-17 11:31 AM
    If I can add my 2 cents. In addition to reasons already cited roughly a year ago BlackBerry was still generating $100 million a quarter in SAF revenue. That is all but gone now.
    morganplus8, Corbu and cjcampbell like this.
    12-20-17 11:54 AM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bbq3breakdown.png

The income supplement gives a good illustration of why the optimism.

I had to cutoff the labels, sorry, from top to bottom, they are:
    • Enterprise Software and Services (up 5 mln since Q1)
    • BTS (up 7 mln since Q1)
    • Licensing, IP and Other ('lumpy')

The next number is simply a summary of the software revenues, then it is hardware revs and SAF.

20-25% drop in SAF becomes a less significant figure the more it falls, and a 10-15% increase in software becomes a more significant figure each quarter. With this framing it becomes easy to see our point of inflection.
    Corbu, morganplus8, W Hoa and 4 others like this.
    12-20-17 12:38 PM
    12-20-17 12:56 PM
    https://www.streetinsider.com/Analys.../13620128.html
    BlackBerry Limited (BB) PT Raised to $11.50 at MKM Partners Following 3Q

bbjdog, Greened, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    12-20-17 01:23 PM
    looks like the sp is starting to push up a bit!
    morganplus8 and alludba like this.
    12-20-17 01:44 PM
107,104 ... 41784179418041814182 ...