View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.60%
  • No

414 37.40%
    kellyweng88, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    10-05-17 02:50 PM
    I assumed this was a rhetorical question! Of course a 10% discount is a good thing. By my saying I want more at $ 2.00/shr it simply points out to many here that I own enough of the darn thing now. I'm concerned about the way the market isn't self correcting lately. If the Dow Jones backs up to the 50-dma, I'll be buying lots of stock a bit cheaper. As for SPHS, I'm likely to buy it a bit higher, say around the 50-dma on that one. Of course there is the strong possibility of buying more BBRY too. As stated though, I'm concerned about the ability of the general market to blow off any thought of correcting, this tells me that at some point, we could see more than usual profit-taking.
    I assumed this was a rhetorical question! Of course a 10% discount is a good thing. By my saying I want more at $ 2.00/shr it simply points out to many here that I own enough of the darn thing now. I'm concerned about the way the market isn't self correcting lately. If the Dow Jones backs up to the 50-dma, I'll be buying lots of stock a bit cheaper. As for SPHS, I'm likely to buy it a bit higher, say around the 50-dma on that one. Of course there is the strong possibility of buying more BBRY too. As stated though, I'm concerned about the ability of the general market to blow off any thought of correcting, this tells me that at some point, we could see more than usual profit-taking.

I just figured you had used some black (ch-) arts to find $2 to be an optimal price.

(Yeah W Hoa, I'm sooo going to use that one every time I can. )

On a more serious note though, I was curious if 2 was just a nice even number, or if some TA had lead you to it.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    10-05-17 02:50 PM
    Evan Blass‏Verified account @evleaks

Goodbye, Krypton.

Hello, BlackBerry Motion
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-dlzbeaqwkaeq9a2.jpg
    10-05-17 02:52 PM
    Markets are up and BBRY is down? Can it even hold $11? Will that long slide after every earnings call never end?
    10-05-17 03:31 PM
    Ah, a new phone. No wonder the stock is down. Even though BBRY no longer makes them, they still seem to be treated as anchors.
    FeitaInc likes this.
    10-05-17 03:33 PM

I just figured you had used some black (ch-) arts to find $2 to be an optimal price.

(Yeah W Hoa, I'm sooo going to use that one every time I can. )

On a more serious note though, I was curious if 2 was just a nice even number, or if some TA had lead you to it.
    Ha! No black magic at all, I decided awhile back that I would buy SPHS every time it dips below $ 2.00/shr. Our house owns enough of the stock that I really don't care to own more but ....................... I have some cash and I like their latest update, puts a timeline on my investment now.

This market continues to climb and BBRY is self-correcting on its own. I prefer that the stock moves well into over-bought and then back off with the general market. If it drops back I'll buy more BBRY, simple as that. On a personal note, I believe the stock stalled out when Chen announced that Q3 will not look as good, of course he was terribly wrong on Q2 but that's his take on it.
    rarsen and bbjdog like this.
    10-05-17 03:43 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DLZbeaQWkAEq9A2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	430361
    Please BlackBerry, bring a 5.5 inch DUAL SIM to North America!!! I need that phone so badly. How difficult is it to send me a dual sim phone?????????????????????????????????????????
    Corbu, rarsen and bbjdog like this.
    10-05-17 03:46 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DLZbeaQWkAEq9A2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	430361
    Notice there is no regular Android navigation icons (triangle, circle, square).

New UI or poor render?.... Huuum
    La Emperor and Corbu like this.
    10-05-17 03:47 PM
    Those hacked Yahoo accounts included several of mine, including "imarriedbritneyspears@yahoo.com" and ”angelinajolisboobs@yahoo.com", just to name (and date) a couple of them . . . lol.

I've been on the Internet since it was just a bunch of newsgroups and never used real personal info... made an exception with a bit of key info on Facebook once everyone else went on it (thought they were all crazy tbh) in order to establish the networks, and now only have a shell profile left with info removed and names converted to nicknames that friends know.

Have multiple Google accounts set up using fake names using different PayPal accounts each on a separate burner card working off my real cdn address but with fake US city, state and zip code (yes you can find cards that will still process that way)...have Amazon set to default to a real US Post Office address, but manually switch to my real address which is among 2 other fake Canadian addresses listed as secondary... always have all permissions / locations off until needed... turn on and then off again when done...etc etc...small efforts but ultimately since the inception of the internet I've always assumed that you just don't put your real information out there...you just don't.

It's evolved to a regular routine where I put the extra little minutia efforts in to get 100% of the functionality out with as little risk as possible. I can do this with my own online activities, but I can't control those things that are supposed to be protected by others that REQUIRE true info...banking info, medical info, credit info, property info, tax info, etc. I usually do that stuff electronically, but if hacks keep happening at these core ops will quickly become the guy writing letters filling paper forms making phone calls standing in lines sending physical cheques snail mail etc. In other words, I'm the guy that knows the online world so well that I will feed you endless garbage to get what I want out of you and will reject your online functionality entirely the second you put my true info at risk.

Bottom line? I don't give a cr*p if 3 billion Yahoo accounts (including a bunch of my own) were hacked because people didn't have to give out their real info in the first place. Who cares if advertisers are jumping at the chance to waste their money targeting fake info that they think is real.

But when it comes to the keepers of 'nochoicebuttrue' info the Equifax hack, the hospital ransoms, etc there is no fuzzed out middle ground...they must spend on security or (even young) users will go back to paper. It's an authentic experience just waiting to become cool...like vinyl..
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 10-05-17 at 05:40 PM.
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    10-05-17 05:29 PM
    Notice there is no regular Android navigation icons (triangle, circle, square).

New UI or poor render?.... Huuum
    Nice find, but there is a BlackBerry logo.
    Corbu likes this.
    10-05-17 06:08 PM
    Ah, a new phone. No wonder the stock is down. Even though BBRY no longer makes them, they still seem to be treated as anchors.
    An anchor would be at $7.00 price, do you see BlackBerry at $7.00??
    10-05-17 06:20 PM
    Morgan mate, the markets are scaring me too, but this market is not acting as usual. Just like the Canada real estate market. We have to keep in mind that there is speed bumps along the way. BlackBerry is a different company and John Chen and the team need time. I myself was expecting this correction on Monday but it was a day to early. Expectations for 2019 is a lot better.

To John Chen and the BlackBerry team, keep up the good work and invest in QNX!!!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 10-05-17 at 08:04 PM.
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    10-05-17 06:33 PM
    jsocan and kellyweng88 like this.
    10-05-17 08:43 PM
    Roland Quandt‏ @rquandt
    BlackBerry Motion aka BBD100 coming to Sprint, AT&T, Verizon. Dual SIM variant for certain markets (not just China)
    2:29 PM - 5 Oct 2017
    10-05-17 09:12 PM
    this might be slightly of topic, but just got word that somebody has stolen the outboard on my boat. it's not that big, only a 2 stroke 25hk, but not the best news to kick of the weekend.

but yeah. could have been way worse.
    10-06-17 10:48 AM
    The opportunities technology has for trades and high-tech sector jobs - Video - BNN

Why technology may not necessarily spell the end to jobs growth
    The Close puts the spotlight on how technology is shaping jobs of the future. Perspective from BlackBerry's Chief Security Officer, Alex Manea, and Upper Grand District School Board's Maintenance Planner/Scheduler, Jennifer Green, on the up-and-coming jobs and how traditional industries are adapting to technological change.
    rarsen, morganplus8 and bbjdog like this.
    10-06-17 04:12 PM
    OT: Weekend reading
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alley-dystopia
    'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia

morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    10-06-17 06:01 PM
    Technology will always take jobs away. History has shown us that information already. Somewhere in the future that silly ideal from Britain (I think that's where, I might be wrong) about paying people to spend will have to come to frutation.

Change of topic

Morgan I tried my best but SPHS price doesn't want to obey. Lol
    morganplus8 and Corbu like this.
    10-06-17 06:13 PM
    OT: Weekend reading
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...alley-dystopia
    'Our minds can be hijacked': the tech insiders who fear a smartphone dystopia
    Thanks mate!

He should have purchased a BB10 phone. Still not that smart!

"Rosenstein purchased a new iPhone and instructed his assistant to set up a parental-control feature to prevent him from downloading any apps."
    Corbu likes this.
    10-06-17 06:24 PM
    Weekend music

How a song tell's us a lot about everything around us!!

and a song that tells us whats wrong with this world.

Last edited by bbjdog; 10-06-17 at 08:01 PM.
    Corbu likes this.
    10-06-17 07:12 PM
    Hi guys !
    Just passing around as I read some good reviews/news about the SP that I'm not monitoring that much theses days.
    [OT alert : why I'm not on here anymore]
    Coach told me : well it isn't really reasonable to spend up to 30% of your day time for free dealing with BB related's, since your business needs all your attention and you're pretty much working 24/7. Take back 15% for extra hours of sleep and golf (or anything out of the screens) and a 15% extra work when needed. [TBH : "coach" is "me"].
    [/OT]
    Just saw the SP over $11 and I hope many of you took some advantage of it !
    Wishing you the very best, will keep an eye and well, yeah, miss U gang.
    SF

Edit : here's the news I read (Google Translated) : https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-07-17 at 10:00 AM. Reason: adding link
    10-07-17 09:59 AM
    Wulfie says quemoo?

Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-07-17 10:35 AM
    Come back more often - whenever you have a bit of time - Superfly_FR! We need you around here! And the worst seems to be behind us... Well, I hope it is!

Be well,
    Last edited by Corbu; 10-07-17 at 12:36 PM.
    10-07-17 12:13 PM
    Things to look forward to in the next three weeks:

October 12
    Canada's AV Capital - Ottawa is Canada's AV Capital
    Canada’s first... Autonomous Vehicle connected to live City infrastructure

October 16
    BlackBerry Announces Plan to Move to the New York Stock Exchange

October 24-25
    https://ca.blackberry.com/enterprise...-summit/london
    10-07-17 12:27 PM
    Mark Kokes - the final interview before he departed BlackBerry head of IP licensing role - Blog - Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) - Maximising IP Value for Business

October 6, 2017
    Joff Wild

Last month we broke the news that BlackBerry VP of IP, licensing and standards, Mark Kokes, had unexpectedly left the company in mid-August, without a replacement being named. Last week the company released its latest quarterly figures – showing a big jump in licensing revenues – but made no mention of Kokes’s departure. Given the comments CEO John Chen has made about the importance of sustainable IP income to BlackBerry’s future, that might be seen by some as something of an omission, but clearly senior management does not believe his exit is something that investors need to know about.

In the IP market, Kokes was clearly a player. He re-engineered the BlackBerry IP strategy to focus it squarely on monetisation and had begun to do some eye-grabbing deals. As a result, he was due to feature as one of our 40 IAM Market Makers of 2017 in the recently-published issue 86 of the magazine – though we pulled him from the list once we found out he was no longer with the BlackBerry.

However, that was not before Kokes had sat down to do an interview that was to feature in our write-up of this year’s ranking. It did not run in issue 86, for obvious reasons, but following is what had been put together on the back of what he told us. In retrospect, it makes for fascinating reading; not least, this bit: “I have had quarterly targets from day one. I hit a lot of them, but not all. This market is bumpy.” It’s unlikely that we will ever find out why Kokes left BlackBerry, but maybe that had something to do with it.

The brief is clear, explains Mark Kokes, senior vice president of intellectual property, licensing & standards at Blackberry: “My mandate is a simple one - monetise the BlackBerry portfolio using every means possible. That’s pretty far-reaching.”

It’s a task he has been performing with gusto – mostly under the radar. Since Kokes’s arrival in 2014 the company has secured well-publicised royalty-bearing agreements with the likes of Cisco, Canon and International Game Technology, while it has also launched suits against companies including Nokia, Avaya and BLU. On the sales side, meanwhile, patents have been transferred to Centerbridge Partners and Chinese mobile company Oppo, among others. Most transactions the company does, though, are not made public. The ones that BlackBerry does talk about, says Kokes, are “to let people know that we are operating in certain verticals”.

What makes the BlackBerry portfolio so potent, he continues, is the breadth of what it reads on. “Our patents cover multiple technologies – maybe 40 plus,” Kokes states. “We have depth in areas like smart grids, gambling, manufacturing, mobile communications, radars and tracking, logistics, and many more.” And no stone is left unturned: “I have 24 PhD level people constantly mining the portfolio looking at new verticals. They have very diverse backgrounds and know what is going on in a wide range of technologies.”

A non-lawyer with an engineering background, as well as the holder of six granted patents, Kokes came to BlackBerry from InterTrust, where he gained in-depth experience working across the transactions spectrum. “We were bundling IP deals, doing IP investing. I got to play the venture capitalist and was on the management team of 15 portfolio companies,” he explains. “No-one does this stuff better than InterTrust.”

BlackBerry happened to be one of his clients and Kokes saw an opportunity to generate more work: “I had just done a deal with them and that gave me a lot of insight into the company, which led me to formulate some ideas about other things they could be doing. I decided to pitch them to see if they were interested. I was introduced to [CEO] John Chen and chatted with him as well as other executives, and they invited me to go in-house to do what I had proposed to do as an agent.”

On joining, Kokes’s first job was to reconfigure the BlackBerry IP function. “We built the licensing team from scratch and expanded the prosecution team, while consolidating the number of outside law firms we used,” he explains. That took a year and then it was all systems go: “We were ready to launch our programmes and we have been doing deals for just over two years now.”

On the licensing side, in terms of deal structure it is very much a case of patents plus, Kokes says: “In the majority of transactions we have done our partners have benefited from our portfolio and also from other BlackBerry products and services. That’s the way we like to do it. We are very reasonable and can bring real value.” He is, he states, opposed to a shoot-first, ask questions later approach: “We are not a litigation-driven operation; it’s a model that is dated. However, we have to be able to defend our rights and we are not afraid to litigate.”

But there is a lot more to the operation than straight monetisation. For example, BlackBerry now has an IP services business. “This does standalone advisory work and helps our partner businesses. It gets us a ton of additional visibility,” Kokes says; while other things are going on that he is less keen to discuss in depth. “There is a ton of private equity liquidity in the market right now. Many of the large institutions and the bulk of the family funds are looking at IP as a way to diversify their portfolios. And that is part of our secret sauce,” Kokes states, before refusing any further comment.

As he goes about his work, Kokes knows that he is being watched from the very top. “I speak to our C-suite on a regular basis, but only very rarely attend board meetings. Pretty much everyone at that level knows what I am doing in detail,” he explains. Company CEO John Chen has put patent licensing at the heart of BlackBerry’s future and Kokes knows he has to deliver: “I have had quarterly targets from day one. I hit a lot of them, but not all. This market is bumpy.”

Like most senior corporate IP professionals, Kokes is often on aeroplanes travelling the world to build relationships and close deals. “I spend equal time in the US, Asia and Europe. In telecoms and mobile we are seeing a shift to Asia and to a lesser extent Europe; but if you look at it holistically it doesn’t matter where you are. There are equally lucrative verticals with applicability in different places.”

China gets a special mention - “We have had tremendous success at IT licensing there with the approach we have adopted.” – as does the US, though for less positive reasons: “The legal environment has changed dramatically. If you look at it from an asset perspective at a minimum you’d say that values are suppressed – even for high quality ones.” But overall Kokes is optimistic: “Innovation and having IP-centric economies is the right way to go. They are getting a lot more entrepreneurial in China and in parts of Europe, just as things are declining a little in the US.” But despite some head-winds his philosophy is very simple, he concludes: “If you are creative enough you can build your own markets.”
    10-07-17 12:39 PM
106,466 ... 41544155415641574158 ...