Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    From my TD alerts.
    Alert Details
    6 earning estimates have been revised and the consensus estimate has increased from 0.06 to 0.07 for 2019. To research this company view in WebBroker.
    Corbu, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    09-29-17 05:26 AM
    RBC raises PT to 10.50, from 9.50

Our view: Q2 results were above expectations. The upside stems from an earlier than expected IP licensing deal and higher SAF revenue. In comparison, enterprise software and BTS were essentially in line with our expectations. IP appears likely to be a material contributor to software growth 2H/FY18E. The limited visibility to growth of enterprise software and BTS keeps us on the sidelines. Maintain Sector Perform.
    Complete report:
    Attached Files
    09-29-17 06:01 AM
    We are not yet for the day... Another announcement at 10:00 PM
    BlackBerry and Tokyo Electron Device Partner to Provide Japanese Companies Access to the Most Advanced and Secure Embedded Platform on the Market

WATERLOO, ONTARIO and TOKYO, JAPAN--(Marketwired - Sept. 28, 2017) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB) and Tokyo Electron Device Limited (TED) announced today they have signed a new sales and distribution agreement, which will provide device manufacturers in Japan with access to BlackBerry's QNX Software Development Platform (SDP) 7.0 - the most advanced and secure embedded platform on the market.

"By partnering with BlackBerry QNX, we will be able to offer a platform with capabilities that exceed the stringent reliability, performance and data security requirements that Japan's world-class manufacturing sector must meet," said Yasuo Hatsumi, Vice President, TED. "We believe BlackBerry's embedded technologies will enable companies to design and develop secure, mission-critical solutions - ultimately accelerating product time to market."

BlackBerry's QNX SDP 7.0 is a 64-bit OS that builds on the proven reliability of QNX technology and raises the bar for security and performance in medical devices, surgical robots, industrial controllers, high-speed trains, and other safety and mission critical applications. This 64-bit OS platform supports ARMv8 and Intel x86-64 architectures and features a policy-driven security model which incorporates BlackBerry's best-in-class security technology. The BlackBerry QNX OS offers a safety pedigree proven by certification to IEC 61508 SIL 3 for industrial automation systems and is in compliance with IEC 62304 for life-critical Class III medical devices.

"By using our technology, companies in Japan and around the world can develop embedded systems and connected devices that are not just secure, but BlackBerry Secure," said Kaivan Karimi, SVP and Head of Sales for BlackBerry Technology Solutions. "We are excited to further expand our global partner footprint with our new partner, TED Japan, and look forward to helping them accelerate the delivery of solutions for the embedded software market."

To learn more about BlackBerry QNX, please visit www.qnx.com.

About BlackBerry

BlackBerry is a mobile-native security software and services company dedicated to securing the enterprise of things. Based in Waterloo, Ontario, the company was founded in 1984 and operates in North America, Europe, Asia, Middle East, Latin America and Africa. The Company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit www.BlackBerry.com.

About Tokyo Electron Device Limited

Tokyo Electron Device Limited provides semiconductor products and business solution as trading business and supports customers' system design and self-brand product for development business as technology trading company.

http://www.teldevice.co.jp/eng/
    I had second read on this and realized this is not for cars and it is for all IoT embedded devices. This is very huge. For all IoT devices sold in the future, they must have security. This is what JC's vision about providing security solution to mass IoT devices.
    09-29-17 06:03 AM
    Morgan Stanley

September 28, 2017

MORGAN STANLEY & CO. LLC
    James E Faucette

BlackBerry Ltd
    Asset Tracking to Plan

Stock Rating: Equal-weight
    Industry View: Cautious
    Price Target: $10.00

BBRY posted upside to rev / EPS expectations in 2FQ largely driven by one-time IP sales. As mentioned last Q, meeting FY18 software rev targets would need to come from a variety of sources as momentum in new auto opportunities would not translate to meaningful rev until FY19 and onwards.

FY18 software and services targets looks achievable as one-time items continue to outperform. As part of 2FQ results, BlackBerry reiterated goals of 10-15% software and services growth (non-GAAP), to be non-GAAP profitable and cash flow positive for FY18. Post 2FQ, this looks increasingly achievable, due to ~$56mm contribution from IP licensing in the quarter (up from $30mm in 1FQ and $16mm in 2FQ17). Through the first two quarters of the FY, software and services revenue is up 13% Y/Y (made up of Enterprise software and services, BTS and Licensing), due entirely to an increase in high margin IP licensing revenue (up $47mm FYTD vs. $44mm growth in overall software and services). While growth in software and services should be made up of four factors (EMM, QNX, RADAR, IP licensing), it will primarily be driven in FY18 by one-time IP licensing deals (some residual income) as other drivers take time to become meaningful revenue (e.g. autonomous cars, asset tracking, hardware licensing). We largely expect the remainder of software and services (Enterprise Software and Services and BlackBerry Technology Solutions) combined to be flat in FY18 as new auto deals take time to ramp (18-24 months) and EMM continues to undergo a transition from license to subscription and market growth slows.

Traction building in auto, but still a long way towards meaningful revenue uptick. BlackBerry spent a fair amount of time highlighting their new agreement with Delphi (covered by Adam Jonas) from last week, providing the OS for their automated drive solution, as well as the 16 POCs they currently have for their RADAR asset tracking solution (with 60 opportunities in the pipeline).

BlackBerry's QNX platform to date has led the market in enabling "infotainment", generating $1.5 - 5.0 ASP / car, with the company hoping opportunities like Delphi and RADAR can increase their content in autos 4-5x to a $5 - 25 ASP (offering telematics, safety, cybersecurity, over-the-air transport and portal management). However, similar to mobile devices and EMM platforms, we expect auto companies will increasingly expect much of this to be included (putting pressure on ASPs) or will develop much of it themselves. Additionally, given total automation is a longer term event, the timeline to sizeable ASP uplift could take until 2020+. While opportunities like Radar (IoT platform) could generate meaningful revenue growth starting in FY19, we think sizeable QNX growth is a longer-term event and remain on the sidelines.

Adjusting estimates slightly upwards. We are raising our 3FQ and full year revenue estimates to a higher SAF base, more residual handset revenue and outperformance in IP licensing (offset by lower than expected enterprise software & services revenue). Without a subsequent increase in expenses, EPS expectations also rise. Our new 3FQ and FY18 rev. / EPS estimates are $220mm / ($0.01) and $934mm / $0.06 vs $210mm / ($0.02) and $889mm / ($0.01) previously.

Remain EW with $10PT. Remain EW as balanced QNX view built in. We value the total BlackBerry software business at 3.5-4.0x FY19 revenue (in line with software peers). Our estimates assume QNX's connected car and ADAS platform achieves 7-8% light vehicle penetration on expanding dollar content, which is below the bull case but could also prove optimistic should efforts by auto OEMs and other technology providers result in pricing pressure and share gains that fail to materialize.
    09-29-17 06:57 AM
    16 POCs they currently have for their RADAR asset tracking solution (with 60 opportunities in the pipeline).
    Excellent
    09-29-17 07:41 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    https://www.thestreet.com/story/1432...-on-track.html

interesting overview of financials and outlook, imo ... please ignore if already posted ...
    09-29-17 08:24 AM
    Got to love MS's contribution, on yesterday's call...

Operator

Thank you. And our next question comes from James Faucette of Morgan Stanley. Your line is now open.

John Chen

Hi, there.

Meta Marshall

Hi, this is Meta Marshall for James. Just a quick question on the Delphi deal from last week, I understand the question was kind of asked about Ford already, but would you be precluded from kind of signing future agreements with going direct with other car manufacturers or does the relationship have to go through Delphi just a little bit on are there any contingencies there about restrictions on signing future agreements?

John Chen

No, not exclusive.

Meta Marshall

Okay, thanks. And then just a small follow-up question on do we get a sense of number of handsets that your kind of licensing partners that you have signed up of number of handsets that they have been selling or producing?

John Chen

Yes, I have a sense, because we send them royalty. Not only we have a sense, we better know the exact number, but since I am no longer in the handset hardware business, so I don’t think it’s good for me to review my partners business progress so that’s probably inappropriate.

Meta Marshall

Got it. Alright, that’s it for me. Thanks.
    09-29-17 09:11 AM
    so, is this a little short squeeze right now?
    ie, anyone considering selling a few shares at some near point and then buying back when things cool off, or are we going to keep climbing?

obviously, I understand it's all speculation, just trying to get a sense of what others are feeling on this

either way, I am enjoying this ride.

Maybe they get bought out soon before they get too expensive!
    09-29-17 09:15 AM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    ie, anyone considering selling a few shares at some near point and then buying back when things cool off, or are we going to keep climbing?

obviously, I understand it's all speculation, just trying to get a sense of what others are feeling on this

Doubt it's short squeeze.. that many shorts covering would send this way,way higher, imo... got back in modestly... like to see this company and Chen succeed... gl Longs!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-17 09:21 AM

I'm still very much new to trading (and indeed have learned so much just following this thread alone), but I would think if/when a squeeze kicks in, it'll jump lots more than what we've seen today (esp as the short interest has been rising a bit again post-summer).

I too wonder though if this is a permanent jump or if in the coming days we'll see the usual suspects come out with a slew of downward revisions and the stock will come back down...

Would be interested to hear what people here are speculating seeing today's movements??
    09-29-17 10:01 AM
    I think we will go a bit higher and then settle back down to the range we're in, or just a bit higher.

We're back to where we were before last quarter, with revenue arguably one the upswing. Some big news over the next quarter could start the ascent.
    09-29-17 10:57 AM
    I think we will go a bit higher and then settle back down to the range we're in, or just a bit higher.

We're back to where we were before last quarter, with revenue arguably one the upswing. Some big news over the next quarter could start the ascent.
    I like your analysis here. We are strong again today, I think funds are buying it up now. The float will get tight soon and any good news will drive it much higher. We are acting like $ 11.00/shr will be support plus or minus a general move in the market. It went un-noticed for the general media but BlackBerry did in fact settle with BLU and received a payment from them. I think we'll hear from NOKIA as well as others. The track record for IP legal work is impressive, they know their stuff and lawsuits aren't taken on a whim.

Having said all of that, I have a sell order for $ 11.10/shr going into next week. I'm selling some BBRY in my trading account to buy more SPHS. The trading account has a major gain in BBRY and I'd like to roll it into something else. As for the main investment in BBRY it is at record levels and will stay there. It's like rolling stock from my trading account to my long term account, so when I sell I'm really selling to myself. Let's get to $ 11.10/shr please!

Good analysis.
    Corbu, La Emperor, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    09-29-17 11:46 AM
    Just to show you how bullish we still are:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-sept-29-2017.png

We formed a perfect pennant formation and broke out of it at a few minutes ago. My order was filled and it was large so the strength in the stock is amazing. We are going higher today as I believe that funds are going to lock this one in for years now. On a 3-minute TA basis, we must test the pennant for support and move higher, we actually did that while I was typing this message so higher is the way to go now. Enjoy the run as it is not over yet.
    W Hoa, Corbu, La Emperor and 4 others like this.
    09-29-17 12:09 PM
    where is everyone? this is the most amazing time to be a share holder. it is all coming together.
    I want to thank everyone who has kept this forum alive. it has really helped me follow through on my investment over the years.
    Let's make BlackBerry iconic Again !!!
    Corbu, La Emperor, dusdal and 3 others like this.
    09-29-17 12:16 PM
    my bad, new posts didn't load.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-29-17 12:16 PM
    Now I feel a little bad about selling yesterday at $10.52... the money is going to be used to average down my SPHS shares... c'mon SPHS!
    09-29-17 12:32 PM
    i'm still here guys and follow you all everyday. Thanks Morgan as always for the insight. I've prob held BBRY for 7 years now slowly averaging down. Back in the black but given i'm waited so long i'll just keep holding for now. Good luck everyone!
    Corbu, rarsen and sidhuk like this.
    09-29-17 12:45 PM
    Argghh....I guess I can't be too greedy. I unloaded some shares yesterday during the run up. Just 25% of my BBRY total.
    Oh well. I'm topping my HALO position and will probably open again on SPHS.

Shutout to Morgan, Corbu and the rest of the crew. You know who you are. Many thanks for the informative service and free advise.
    morganplus8, take99, W Hoa and 4 others like this.
    09-29-17 12:54 PM
    OK boys and girls... It's that time once again!

If you have any, please round up your questions for Management by midnight Monday.

Per usual, I can't guarantee that they will be asked/answered but we'll sure do our best. And we'll be back with what we were able to glean.

Cheers,
    La Emperor, W Hoa, _dimi_ and 3 others like this.
    09-29-17 12:56 PM
    FINALLY! Execution is there! Several quarters too late, but I am still a happy camper right now.
    Finally!

What a breath of fresh air! Our oxygen tanks were on empty and we were a league under water.

I was just thinking about how much Radar can build from here. Since QNX has controlled railway station tracks for years, it stands to reason that Radar may find its way onto trains carrying expensive cargo. How about when self driving trucks hit the roads, QNX can compliment Radar by tying seamlessly into the trucks OEM computer too?

It's funny how human emotion works in large groups (mob mentality?).
    Now that some big names like Verizon want BlackBerry devices, everyone will start the 'me-too' train running.

Congrats fellas. (and Amber?).
    09-29-17 01:01 PM
    Wow.. that came out of nowhere.. having private dinner in Nov with the President, University of Waterloo...Subject may come up...interesting

Posted via CB10
    Well in that case, we have some questions for you to bring...
    Consider it your homework young man.
    La Emperor and sidhuk like this.
    09-29-17 01:12 PM
    Finally!

What a breath of fresh air! Our oxygen tanks were on empty and we were a league under water.

I was just thinking about how much Radar can build from here. Since QNX has controlled railway station tracks for years, it stands to reason that Radar may find its way onto trains carrying expensive cargo. How about when self driving trucks hit the roads, QNX can compliment Radar by tying seamlessly into the trucks OEM computer too?

It's funny how human emotion works in large groups (mob mentality?).
    Now that some big names like Verizon want BlackBerry devices, everyone will start the 'me-too' train running.

Congrats fellas. (and Amber?).
    Hi BM,

Remember it does not stop there. QNX also power and runs warehouse control software. Some of the big names use it like Amazon, etc . QNX all the way from manufacturing, delivery and most likely on consumer premises in the future.

"Fortna, a supply chain design and implementation firm, selects QNX for FortnaWCS™, a warehouse control solution used by Amazon, ASICS, O’Reilly Automotive, Avnet Electronics, and Brown Shoe.

Modular architecture of QNX Neutrino RTOS allows Fortna to create reliable, high-performance applications that scale quickly to customer demands.

QNX technology delivers proven reliability and high uptimes in manufacturing and industrial automation environments. "

https://www.qnx.com/content/qnx/en/n...2008/3484.html
    09-29-17 01:13 PM
    in the interview on BNN it sounded like JC almost was a bit worried about (or resource constrained) being able to capatiltze on the opportunities that BBRY has in front of it. I guess he already "relieved" some pressure by spinning of consumer BBM and converting the handset business into IP licensing. that said, I'd be curious to know if he has any similar "spin of" plans or if he is considering selling part of the business.
    09-29-17 01:16 PM
    Hi BM,

Remember it does not stop there. QNX also power and runs warehouse control software. Some of the big names use it like Amazon, etc . QNX all the way from manufacturing, delivery and most likely on consumer premises in the future.

"Fortna, a supply chain design and implementation firm, selects QNX for FortnaWCS™, a warehouse control solution used by Amazon, ASICS, O’Reilly Automotive, Avnet Electronics, and Brown Shoe.

Modular architecture of QNX Neutrino RTOS allows Fortna to create reliable, high-performance applications that scale quickly to customer demands.

QNX technology delivers proven reliability and high uptimes in manufacturing and industrial automation environments. "

https://www.qnx.com/content/qnx/en/n...2008/3484.html
    Man you are good. Great information.

Shout out to Bacon too, and our new CB members.
    09-29-17 01:17 PM
    John Chen with Amber:
    John Chen: You can't completely stop hacking - Video - BNN

John Chen: You can't completely stop hacking

John Chen, CEO of Blackberry, discusses the company's transformation from smartphones to software as well as rising concerns about cybersecurity.
    The Disruptors
    ... Sorry for the spamming fellas, a lot of pent-up energy for not being able to hang around here like 'Naamy' from Cheers.

I must say that I am really relieved that Chen piped up and blatantly stated that as good as BlackBerry is with protecting against security vulnerabilities, that nobody is 100%. Being in a similar field, I whole-heartedly agree. I always had the concern of a BlackBerry hack, where all the shill morons crawl out of the dung pile to slam BlackBerry for being touchable and then the stock price...
    Lol. Well the stock price would no doubt fall, but at least nobody would say that Chen didn't mention this.
    09-29-17 01:40 PM
113,256 ... 41484149415041514152 ...