View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.77%
  • No

411 37.23%
    well said Morgan. I think there's a real opportunity to put a positive spin on Blackberry each time something like this happens. Hopefully there's a shift to real action in the near future (with Blackberry on the forefront!)
    09-08-17 11:14 AM
    https://cheddar.com/videos/blackberr...for-a-comeback

Blackberry Hoping for a Comeback
    September 8, 2017
    The company is releasing a touchscreen smart phone next month. CrackBerry.com founder Kevin Michaluk explains why some of the things that hurt sales in the past, won't matter now.
    09-08-17 01:11 PM
    FWIW: Security flaws discovered in Huawei, Qualcomm, Nvidia device chipsets

According to researchers from the University of California at Santa Barbara, a total of six vulnerabilities were discovered in mobile bootloaders -- five of which were zero-days now confirmed by vendors -- which could be used to compromise a mobile device's bootloader system, execute arbitrary code, brick a device, or perform denial-of-service (DoS) attacks.

Security flaws discovered in Huawei, Qualcomm, Nvidia device chipsets | ZDNet
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    09-08-17 02:09 PM
    Totally agree with you Morgan, all those companies choosing to take our hard earned money while selecting to forget the meaning of the word <obligations>. In certain areas it is called "false representation" and has real serious legal implications. I had started to make a running list of all the companies and quantities of people affected by their <unfortunate hacks but our customers security has always been our prime concern and promise it won't happen again> double-speak, but the numbers were hugely staggering. I stopped the list out of frustration and personally decided to do business only with those able to convince me, they know what they are doing and should earn my thrust-- true the list is getting smaller. You can bet that not all hacks are reported and far too many are intentionally minimized for huge potential legal reasons. The following Pawened website giving a partial picture of the problem:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/PwnedWebsites
    09-08-17 02:27 PM
    FWIW: Security flaws discovered in Huawei, Qualcomm, Nvidia device chipsets

According to researchers from the University of California at Santa Barbara, a total of six vulnerabilities were discovered in mobile bootloaders -- five of which were zero-days now confirmed by vendors -- which could be used to compromise a mobile device's bootloader system, execute arbitrary code, brick a device, or perform denial-of-service (DoS) attacks.

Security flaws discovered in Huawei, Qualcomm, Nvidia device chipsets | ZDNet
    Thanks, La Emperor!

More on the subject:
    https://threatpost.com/multiple-vuln...oaders/127833/

Plus the original report:
    https://www.usenix.org/system/files/...c17-redini.pdf
    09-08-17 02:48 PM
    There's a line in the new Equifax fine print that's raising eyebrows

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/there...174037655.html

Posted via CB10
    09-08-17 03:46 PM
    Nice reading material gang!

If companies and other parties cared about security, BlackBerry would be on top of the world. There lies the problem! Everyone wants your information and want to profit from it. BlackBerry can secure government and banks and so on, but who wants the general public protected??? I am truly thinking of going into the dark ages.

Cheers !
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    09-08-17 05:29 PM
    Guys, the idea that you can sprinkle a little BlackBerry on top of our industry and make it all better is fairly naive. The EF thing affects all of us in the industry and there is and has been for a very long time constant information sharing between major international banks to combat these threats.

Even a single large bank employs more world class security experts than BlackBerry could ever afford. The large criminal gangs and states which we battle every single day also employ world class experts and pay them far more than BBRY could ever muster. So it's a high stakes cat and mouse game of enormous proportions. BB would make very little difference there. Most of these attacks are not lost because someone didn't have proper MDM or because of a keyspace issue or something trivial like that.

Now you could argue that these things being on the front page will cause people to be more vigilant about security in general, and that could in turn drives sales of BB products. Maybe. A consumer might also look at it the other way and say who cares if I have a secure bootloader on my phone. These well funded thieves are not stealing SSN's one or two at a time off phones when they can instead steal them by the hundreds of millions from companies that store them. Good old Willie Sutton didn't make his money going door to door stealing coffee cans and mattresses. He robbed the places where the real money is.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    09-08-17 05:55 PM
    LMAO!!!

Banks pockets are deep!
    09-08-17 06:42 PM
    BTw, I'm not justifying what Equifax did here. Believe me, many of us are pissed at them. But my point is that hiring a few more security experts from BlackBerry wouldn't have prevented this or most other breaches.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    09-08-17 07:13 PM
    I am a software developer myself, but I don't know how one company knows its database or files have been hacked or how many millions of records have been stolen. Can any expert explain?
    09-08-17 07:32 PM
    ”If they were connected to us, this wouldn't have happened"
    Of course, if you make this claim and there is a single breach then your message goes down the toilet regardless of whether it’s your fault or not. Imagine the instantaneous stock price drop if THAT were to happen.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    09-08-17 08:15 PM
    I am a software developer myself, but I don't know how one company knows its database or files have been hacked or how many millions of records have been stolen. Can any expert explain?
    Logs.

It's not always a perfect accounting. But if you know what systems, services or accounts were compromised and over what window, then you can work out what they had access to before you shut them out again.
    09-08-17 08:21 PM
    IF is a big word!!!
    If my beer gets cold before I finish drinking it then what?
    If insurance on my car is not enough, than what?
    If I loose my job, then what?

Lots of IF's. But if I pay the piper then I expect some music, so pay the piper.
    09-08-17 08:43 PM
    All I can say is that any US based individual who can demonstrate identity theft should sue each and every corporation that has held any of their personal info involved in a hack...apparently that amounts to the majority of the adult population from this Equifax event alone...when you add Yahoo, etc etc you get to the point where each person could sue at least one and maybe several major corporations successfully. That's really the only way serious $ will be attached to prevention....
    morganplus8, bbjdog and rarsen like this.
    09-08-17 08:51 PM
    All I can say is that any US based individual who can demonstrate identity theft should sue each and every corporation that has held any of their personal info involved in a hack...apparently that amounts to the majority of the adult population from this Equifax event alone...when you add Yahoo, etc etc you get to the point where each person could sue at least one and maybe several major corporations successfully. That's really the only way serious $ will be attached to prevention....
    Why do you assume companies aren't spending serious $ on security?

And more to the point, why does spending even more $ necessarily make it better?
    09-08-17 08:55 PM
    oh and that obviously means DON'T sign any ridiculous fine print waivers of your rights....what utter nonsense
    bbjdog and rarsen like this.
    09-08-17 08:55 PM
    Why do you assume companies aren't spending serious $ on security?

And more to the point, why does spending even more $ make it better?
    If they house personal info of any kind and get hacked, they didn't spend enough. QED. Time for lawsuits. Full stop.
    bbjdog and rarsen like this.
    09-08-17 08:58 PM
    If they house personal info of any kind and get hacked, they didn't spend enough. QED. Time for lawsuits. Full stop.
    Spending more money on a problem doesn't necessarily make it better. There are many cases where increasing spending can be counterproductive.

The industry spends many billions on this issue. This is not a budget problem, or a problem of lack of financial incentives. Breaches already cost the target a lot of money.
    09-08-17 09:02 PM
    Weekend music.

09-08-17 09:03 PM
    Its all about profit and not spending!!!! Pay the piper!!!
    09-08-17 09:05 PM
    Spending more money on a problem doesn't necessarily make it better. There are many cases where increasing spending can be counterproductive.

The industry spends many billions on this issue. This is not a budget problem, or a problem of lack of financial incentives. Breaches already cost the target a lot of money.
    The industry makes trillions on personal information each year. I disagree. Triple the spend and you will prevent more hacks.
    rarsen likes this.
    09-08-17 09:07 PM
    Its all about profit and not spending!!!! Pay the piper!!!
    You do realize that breaches have significant impact on both profits and shareholder value?
    09-08-17 09:07 PM
    You do realize that breaches have significant impact on both profits and shareholder value?
    You realize that not all info is public!!!

Here is profit! If I have to pay 5 million in liability and make 10 million in profits, then it's worth it!
    Last edited by bbjdog; 09-08-17 at 09:29 PM.
    09-08-17 09:09 PM
    The auto sector also used to spend a lot less on safety, until they learned their lesson. Tech security isn't even close.
    Corbu, bbjdog, morganplus8 and 1 others like this.
    09-08-17 09:09 PM
104,878 ... 41344135413641374138 ...