View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.77%
  • No

411 37.23%
    They are also talking about secure android OS for TVs and medical devices, so thats new revenue area.
    The problem is the "talking". There is always too much "talking" and too little "action" at BlackBerry
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-24-17 12:12 PM
    The problem is the "talking". There is always too much "talking"
    Much like this thread, on occasion.
    08-24-17 12:38 PM
    Much like this thread, on occasion.

Lol...

If they are saying there will be an announcement soon, I would speculate that would be prior to the quiet period, so pretty soon...
    08-24-17 12:49 PM
    With all his new found cash maybe Prem will just take BBRY private

"Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. is selling a Singaporean insurance subsidiary in a partnership deal designed to open more growth opportunities in other pockets of the world.

The Toronto-based insurance and investments company said Wednesday that it had struck a $1.6-billion (U.S.) deal to sell a 97.7 per cent interest in First Capital Insurance Ltd. to Tokyo’s Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co. "
    If BlackBerry and Fairfax cancel those convertible bonds, PW will have at least 2.2 billion (U.S.) that he didn't have 2 days ago, assuming BlackBerry gets off without paying any penalties that is. Add that to the 2 billion that is already on BlackBerry's books (debt-free)... and he'd be close to the 4.73 billion that BlackBerry is worth today. Of course, he already holds 47 million shares, so he's much closer in theory?!

We always talk about the role of PW.. but I wonder what Primecap's position is in all this. They hold nearly 76 million shares while Fairfax holds about 47 million shares. Are they partners with similar views? They didn't participate in any of the convertible bond issues, so what are they gaining while BlackBerry completes the turnaround? I'd be really interested in knowing their average purchase price for BBRY.

Any realistic chance that both could decide to take BlackBerry private? In that case, they could partner up and acquire the remaining +/- 400 million shares at a premium?

Posted via CB10
    08-24-17 12:50 PM
    08-24-17 01:05 PM
    Wonder how the TA charts are looking...
    08-24-17 01:21 PM
    average for Prime Cap is in the high teens, They have been shareholders for a very long time, (since 2001) and have been adding to their position slowly but steadily, but not over 15% of total shares. They have added about 7M net shares since 2015. They will not allow a take private offer at anything less than 20. I have spoken to them, so cannot say the exact cost basis.
    08-24-17 01:30 PM

Any realistic chance that both could decide to take BlackBerry private? In that case, they could partner up and acquire the remaining +/- 400 million shares at a premium?

Posted via CB10
    I posed this scenario last week while wondering if they would ever announce any new business again. If ever there was a time to consider taking BlackBerry private its today. The stock is cheap, a 40% premium on the balance of the shares is only $ 12.50/shr which is a multi-year high. Everyone would gladly take $ 12.50/shr to get out of this play.

And so for $ 4 B Prem would control the ownership of the company with his debentures converted to stock and they could bring the company back in 3 years at a huge gain.

That's $ 2.6 B in cash, $ 500 MM in operating credit, the knowledge of the BLU, Nokia and Avaya outcomes in the courts and a massive amount of assets. The stock is ripe for them to take it off the market and they have zero competition as no one on the planet can buy it today without their approval. If they want to make a move it would be NOW! One of the reasons I think this is possible is the official line on the share buyback program, it is a large one but not one share has been purchased to date and the stock is as cheap as it is ever going to be. The buyback is a nice tool to have in their pocket if they truly want to take it private.

And so the play looks like this, they are very quiet because something is about to go down and they just need more days with the average price of the stock suppressed to make the claim that a 40% gain is a good one for everyone. Why release new business when you want that business to fall into the hands of the private company? The fun part in all of this is that they have to crap or get off the pot because they are expected to release news soon and a higher stock price kills the prospect of such a deal.

If there ever was a time to take it private it is today.
    08-24-17 01:34 PM

Published on Aug 24, 2017
    Learn about the new Blackberry KEYone, a modern Android smartphone with an impact resistant 4.5” touch screen display, an intelligent keyboard, and a camera that takes stunning photos.
    08-24-17 02:18 PM
    And so the play looks like this, they are very quiet because something is about to go down and they just need more days with the average price of the stock suppressed to make the claim that a 40% gain is a good one for everyone. Why release new business when you want that business to fall into the hands of the private company? The fun part in all of this is that they have to crap or get off the pot because they are expected to release news soon and a higher stock price kills the prospect of such a deal.

If there ever was a time to take it private it is today.
    average for Prime Cap is in the high teens, They have been shareholders for a very long time, (since 2001) and have been adding to their position slowly but steadily, but not over 15% of total shares. They have added about 7M net shares since 2015. They will not allow a take private offer at anything less than 20. I have spoken to them, so cannot say the exact cost basis.
    A part of me hopes both of you are right. that said, I have zero problems keeping this stock for another 5 years, as $20 a share might not be such a sweet deal then.
    08-24-17 03:30 PM
    With 40% premium at current sp? That would be a rubout!

I hope everyone remembers how much Intel paid for MobilEye for the AV systems they're developing. Somewhere around $15B I believe. And from what I have been gathering, the Intel Mobileye partnership is playing catch up. Ford and Blackberry have their own platform. And also multitude of other companies who are using QNX/yy-chip solutions.
    One of them, Drive PX2 by Nvidia is being adopted by Tesla, Toyota, Volvo and Audi.

Anything similar to Mobileye's deal valuation, I'm fine.

Good luck to us all.
    08-24-17 03:33 PM
    I hope everyone remembers how much Intel paid for MobilEye for the AV systems they're developing. Somewhere around $15B I believe. And from what I have been gathering, the Intel Mobileye partnership is playing catch up.
    I guess you can make the argument that if you have a company that has a popular app, some portion of that value will accrue the platform owner. that said, Nvidia is probably the company you should compare MobileEye to.

to use a stupid example that doesn't even work well: if Uber suddenly launched a Symbian app ,Nokia's valuation probably wouldn't change much. then again, if Nokia made a uber-ish app that gained market share it probably would.

and yeah.. I guess the latter was your point.
    La Emperor likes this.
    08-24-17 03:42 PM
    Short interest drop

8/15/2017 38,543,592
    7/31/2017 39,952,028
    08-24-17 04:08 PM
    OT where making good consumer products is not enough, though times for HTC hardware:

Smartphone Maker HTC Explores Strategic Options
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ategic-options
    bbjdog, La Emperor, W Hoa and 3 others like this.
    08-24-17 06:50 PM
    08-24-17 08:48 PM
    As we near an announcement on the Blu Products lawsuit, I am reminded of this interview, from last December which someone posted elsewhere.

http://bloombergtv.ca/2016-12-07/new...evice-revenue/
    BlackBerry Patent Suits Take Aim at BLU's Mobile-Device Revenue

BlackBerry’s patent infringement lawsuit against BLU Products seeks licensing revenues and compensation for past damages from the handset maker. Bloomberg Intelligence Analyst Matt Larson speaks on The Daily Brief.
    08-24-17 09:00 PM
    Case Blackberry Vs BLU dropped as parties have come to an agreement outside of court via Memorandum of Understanding.

Now just to find out what that was.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-blu-dropped.jpg
    Last edited by dusdal; 08-24-17 at 09:33 PM. Reason: multiple images
    kadakn01, bbjdog, alludba and 2 others like this.
    08-24-17 09:32 PM
    A positive article about BlackBerry from SeekingAlpha (as rare as a post from me without complaints about John Chen):

https://seekingalpha.com/article/410...ers-idea-month
    08-25-17 07:23 AM
    08-25-17 11:36 AM
    08-25-17 11:41 AM
    (3)
    "Estimated in accordance with Rule 457(h) solely for the purpose of calculating the registration fee based on the average of the high and low prices of Common Shares on the Nasdaq Global Select Market on August 22, 2017."

Proposed
    maximum
    offering price
    per share (3)
    $8.77

Well, we see that the company staff will get up to 12,500,000 shares at the great price of $ 8.77/shr, something that couldn't have happened if the company had gone along with its share buyback program. Now that everyone in BlackBerry is well taken care of, can we start the buyback program? It is also nice to see that Prem Watsa signed off on this package. Is everybody ready for a sustainable rally now? Everyone?????????????????
    08-25-17 12:20 PM
    im not too sure what all of this means for us. This is good news for the staff members and glad to hear this. What does this mean going forward?
    08-25-17 12:57 PM
    im not too sure what all of this means for us. This is good news for the staff members and glad to hear this. What does this mean going forward?
    Its not a good thing for a company to announce a massive share buyback and then buy nothing. Months later, we find out that the company is issuing stock options for its staff so there is a problem with the two conflicting issues here. Did they ignore the price of the stock because it was too expensive at $ 10.50/shr knowing that they are setting the conversion price for their own stock options? It looks as though they postponed the buyback, let the stock fall back, set the price for their options and now we can start a buyback today. It is difficult to believe that we needed to drop to below $ 9.00/shr levels in order for them to be satisfied with their option pricing. It is a little disingenuous to think that they could have achieved that low of a strike price for 12,500,000 shares in a real market scenario.

So now that we have the option pricing, at an awesome price I might add, behind us, we can mysteriously rally from here on news. The TA on the stock looks a lot better, the staff are in the money already, having achieved the lowest possible pricing in many months on their stock .......... perhaps Chen can turn his attention to the company again. This behaviour happens all the time but it is a little off putting for the rest of us.

As for TD Bank, they have purchased 30,000 shares across Canada today, oh boy. They have their stock options set, let's start the buyback already.
    kellyweng88, rarsen, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    08-25-17 01:21 PM
    morale is top priority in every organization
    08-25-17 01:40 PM
    FWIW, I saw an add on ESPN tv today for the BlackBerry Keyone.
    08-25-17 10:53 PM
104,888 ... 41294130413141324133 ...