That's precisely what we need.
    Recurring revenue.

Good find. I hope that is the outcome
    08-13-17 08:05 AM
    08-13-17 09:19 PM
    LOL
    Lmao!
    08-14-17 12:39 AM
    Goldman Sachs is being rather insistent by reiterating it's sell recommendation just days after initiating BBRY with a sell rating. I guess some of us are getting just a bit too enthusiastic with the BLU news and China numbers and need a smack upside the head.

BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB)‘s stock had its “sell” rating restated by investment analysts at Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The) in a research note issued to investors on Sunday.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-14-17 08:33 AM
    Goldman Sachs is being rather insistent by reiterating it's sell recommendation just days after initiating BBRY with a sell rating. I guess some of us are getting just a bit too enthusiastic with the BLU news and China numbers and need a smack upside the head.
    Or perhaps a different department at GS is planning to buy some..
    morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    08-14-17 08:36 AM
    Or perhaps a different department at GS is planning to buy some..
    I would think that GS doesn't make a move without fully considering GS's own best interests.
    Last edited by W Hoa; 08-14-17 at 12:18 PM.
    08-14-17 08:44 AM
    OT:
    https://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2017...9-u-s-workers/
    Self-Driving Cars Could Transform Jobs Held by 1 in 9 U.S. Workers

Self-driving vehicles have the potential to reshape a wide range of occupations held by roughly one in nine American workers, according to a new U.S. government report.
    About 3.8 million people drive taxis, trucks, ambulances and other vehicles for a living. An additional 11.7 million workers drive as part of their work, including personal care aides, police officers, real-estate agents and plumbers. In all, that’s roughly 11.3% of total U.S. employment based on 2015 occupational data, according to the analysis by three Commerce Department economists.

If businesses embrace autonomous vehicles on a large scale, workers in the first category are “more likely to be displaced” from their jobs, while workers in the latter group “may be more likely to benefit from greater productivity and better working conditions,” wrote David Beede, Regina Powers and Cassandra Ingram in the report, released Friday.

Automakers like Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. and technology giants like Alphabet Inc. and Apple Inc. are racing to develop vehicles that can operate without a human driver. If successfully introduced in the coming years or decades, self-driving cars and trucks have the potential to reshape whole industries — and change the careers of millions of people who work in them.

The Commerce Department report explored which workers are likely to be supplanted by automated vehicles, or at least see changes to their job descriptions. It didn’t analyze how the technology might help create new jobs.

Some truck drivers, bus operators and others who work in jobs that primarily involve operating a motor vehicle “might have difficulty finding alternative employment” if their current jobs disappear, the economists wrote. Those workers, they said, are on average “older, less educated, and for the most part have fewer transferable skills than other workers, especially the kinds of skills required for non-routine cognitive tasks.”

The outlook was less bleak for workers whose jobs involve some driving, such as letter carriers and electricians. For them, “it is only one of many important work activities, many of which already require the kinds of non-routine cognitive skills that are becoming increasingly in demand in our economy,” the economists wrote. “Such workers are likely to be able to adapt to the widespread adoption of [autonomous vehicles].”
    08-14-17 10:10 AM
    I wasn't going to post a chart until we made some kind of a bullish move ... but what the heck:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bbry-aug-14-2017.png

For the past three weeks we had developed a down-trending channel. We popped out of it two weeks ago on the 10th day only to hear from GS who enlightened us on how expensive BBRY really was. Thank goodness they were there to help us as the stock immediately dropped down into that channel again and we actually dropped below the support line on Thursday capping a major over-sold period for BBRY. Today we are back inside that channel having broken out of a wedge formation and now we are close to attempting to break out of the channel once again currently at $ 9.00/shr. It remains to be seen if we can go against the GS claim and mount a rally but at the same time, we know GS is a joke. Let's see if we can turn this thing around and finally begin a rally as we near the last two weeks of this Fiscal Quarter.
    Corbu, W Hoa, La Emperor and 5 others like this.
    08-14-17 10:12 AM
    Avaya says more time for Ch. 11 plan would rally stakeholders | Reuters

Avaya says more time for Ch. 11 plan would rally stakeholders

Telecommunications company Avaya Inc is seeking an additional 60 days to file a Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring plan, arguing in court papers the extra time will help it craft a plan its stakeholders can support.

An extension through Sept. 16 to its exclusivity period, which gives Avaya sole authority to file a plan, will help pave the way for a successful conclusion to talks with stakeholders in the "near term," the company said in its papers filed on Tuesday.

To read the full story on Westlaw Practitioner Insights, click here: bit.ly/2uXdnWv

Posted via CB10
    Update on the status of this https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017...ankruptcy.html

Looks like:

"Under the plan, which must be approved by Avaya's creditors and U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Stuart Bernstein in Manhattan, debt holders will be repaid with a mix of cash, new debt and stock in the reorganized company.

A new board will be named by holders of the company's first-lien debt, who will own a majority of the stock in the reorganized company. Holders of the first-lien debt include funds affiliated with The Blackstone Group's GSO Capital Partners, Davidson Kempner and JPMorgan Chase & Co, as well as dozens of other firms.

Avaya estimated in court papers its enterprise value, which includes debt and equity, at $5.721 billion.

First-lien debt holders will receive about 95 percent of what they are owed, while holders of $1.44 billion in second-lien notes will receive about 1.6 percent, according to court papers. Unsecured creditors will receive around 8.2 percent of the $305 million they are owed."

What I can't find, is where BBRY sits in all of this. Have we been somehow converted to first-lein? Or unsecured, or something else?
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    08-14-17 10:54 AM
    coincidentally, somebody at work told me we would be switching to a wifi-calling app called Avaya Equinox. As far as I can tell those kind of services seems like a hole in BB's offering.

perhaps JC et al have come up with a deal that transfers parts of Avaya to BB. or some kind of cross licensing.
    08-14-17 11:15 AM
    OT for the security conscious, remain careful out there:

New Trojan malware campaign sends users to fake banking site that looks just like the real thing | ZDNet
    A notorious banking Trojan is targeting customers of a major bank with a new email spam campaign that directs victims to a fake login page indistinguishable from their real bank. "TrickBot evolves and changes almost everyday and targets new banks all over the world, so all banks should be on alert," It's currently not clear who is behind Trickbot, but the way the malware is continually evolving suggests it's the work of a well-organised, well-funded cyber criminal group.

How long can the U.S. keep hackers at bay and the lights on? - Houston Chronicle
    The foundation around which the U.S. economy runs, the power grid makes an intriguing target for hackers - whether it's foreign governments, criminals looking for a big payday or hackers just seeing what mischief they can cause. And as attempts to infiltrate computer networks that control the grid and other industrial systems escalate, cybersecurity experts and some government officials are increasingly concerned that a large-scale, well-financed and coordinated cyberattack is coming, risking the sort of widespread blackouts that hit Ukraine in 2015 after hackers broke into the systems of three power plants. Where once countries fought over land and waterways, the ability to control and protect the world's digital systems is fast becoming a new arms race. "In a short time, food and medicine distribution systems would be ineffective; transportation would fail or become so chaotic as to be useless. Law enforcement, medical staff, and emergency personnel capabilities could be expected to be barely functional in the short term and dysfunctional over sustained periods."

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ma...130002048.html
    Last edited by rarsen; 08-14-17 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added Yahoo article
    morganplus8, sidhuk and W Hoa like this.
    08-14-17 12:15 PM
    I'm extremely skeptical of these China numbers. I like they are taking customer sign ups and offering a contest as enticement. But it is a funnel. Some number of those people will actually buy the phone at the end of the day. We have no way of knowing how many yet.

These things have a way of taking on a life of their own with people counting millions of chickens and then being severely disappointed in the end. Let's see how many actual sales BB mobile is making and see how much rev that brings back to BBRY and then forecast from there.

This BB Mobile deal may only add pennies to the value of a BBRY share. Or it may add $0.50 or more. Who knows right now?
    08-14-17 12:22 PM
    I'm extremely skeptical of these China numbers
    Skepticism is very much warranted in respect to BBRY. My comment on GS was more along the lines of them saying "We told you five days ago that BBRY was a sell and we're back to tell you 'We really mean it!"

Another analyst, a certain Mr. Faucette, has been no fan of BBRY but is slowly coming around. He projects a licensing fee of $15 per phone. Which may be on the low side. So, as encouraging as the early numbers may be in China, it's going to take a considerably larger number of device sales to make it truly lucrative for BlackBerry.
    08-14-17 12:37 PM
    Skepticism is very much warranted in respect to BBRY. My comment on GS was more along the lines of them saying "We told you five days ago that BBRY was a sell and we're back to tell you 'We really mean it!"

Another analyst, a certain Mr. Faucette, has been no fan of BBRY but is slowly coming around. He projects a licensing fee of $15 per phone. Which may be on the low side. So, as encouraging as the early numbers may be in China, it's going to take a considerably larger number of device sales to make it truly lucrative for BlackBerry.
    Agreed. I really wish Chen would tell us more about his 90% margin comment wrt BB Android. That software is mostly fixed cost, so this part of business is very scale dependent. I'd love to know what BB is projecting in revenue from this.

I'm barely interested in BB Mobile or BBM licensing until we know more facts.
    alludba and alludba like this.
    08-14-17 12:51 PM
    Definite buy signal
    08-14-17 05:52 PM
    rarsen likes this.
    08-14-17 08:12 PM
    coincidentally, somebody at work told me we would be switching to a wifi-calling app called Avaya Equinox. As far as I can tell those kind of services seems like a hole in BB's offering.

perhaps JC et al have come up with a deal that transfers parts of Avaya to BB. or some kind of cross licensing.
    It would be kind of fun if the above happened. 4 or 5 years I talked our IT manager out of buying EMM services from GOOD, as I thought that BB was better. That turned out to be a complete waste of time. So perhaps if I shut up this time, then we start using a service that BB buys.

And we ended up going with some Microsoft Outlook management tool.
    08-15-17 12:51 AM
    BlackBerry and Appdome Enable Codeless Integration of Secure Voice, Video and Messaging

WATERLOO, ONTARIO and REDWOOD CITY, CALIFORNIA--(Marketwired - Aug. 15, 2017) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB) and Appdome, the mobile industry's first cloud hub for mobile app integration, announced today they are enabling codeless integration of secure voice, video and messaging capabilities. Available under Appdome's newest service category, Secure Messaging, the BBM® Enterprise SDK (software development kit) offers a proven and growing set of secure communications capabilities that mobile app developers and integrators can use to realize faster time-to-market, enhanced scalability, performance security and reduced costs.

"With BBM Enterprise SDK, app developers no longer have to focus on the nuances and complexities of securing communications; instead they can focus on building solutions for enterprises, clients and customers," explains Tom Tovar, CEO of Appdome. "Like other mobile integration choices performed on Appdome, enterprise users can integrate this secure communication platform in a matter of seconds without making changes to code."

Secure User Experience Designed for Mobile, Built for Immediacy

BlackBerry entered the Communications Platform as a Service (CPaaS) market in February 2017 with the introduction of its BBM Enterprise SDKwhich provides mobile-native secure messaging, voice and video capabilities for iOS and Android. By leveraging BlackBerry's comprehensive, secure communications framework for mobile applications and services, developers can focus more on what matters most versus worrying about the complexities of developing secure messaging capabilities and an IT infrastructure. Additional benefits include:

• Seamless Protection of Chats, Voice and Video: Groups within an organization, regardless of industry, can enjoy context-specific, secure collaboration sessions with Team Chats.
    • Secure Organizational Data and Regulatory Compliance: IT professionals can manage a broad range of services, including BBM Enterprise policies, entitlements and authentication, through a single-cloud based console called BlackBerry Enterprise Identity. There is no hardware to purchase, new servers to install or new OS updates to make.
    • Extended Secure Interactions: Enterprise-grade encryption protects messages sent between Android, iPhone and BlackBerry devices, even if the recipient is a non-BBM Enterprise user.
    • Immediate Collaboration and Increased Accountability: Users can begin collaborating with co-workers immediately, searching by first and last name or even job title. Additionally, team members know when colleagues receive and read messages, which helps workflows and increased accountability.

"Consumer messaging applications, particularly when used to conduct business, are a basket of unnecessary risk to organizations of any size in every industry," said Marty Beard, chief operating officer at BlackBerry. "The BBM Enterprise SDK puts BlackBerry's expertise and legacy in secure mobile communications in the hands of developers, empowering them with the ability to securely connect employees with colleagues, clients, and customers. Furthermore, now with one-click integration on Appdome, we are eliminating the cost and complexity of integrating messaging, voice and video capabilities into existing applications and services."

Two Layers of Security

The BBM Enterprise SDK builds on BlackBerry's security model and protects data at rest and in-transit, which helps fill the gaps in enterprise security. There are two layers of security offered:

• Distributed PGP-like Model Encryption: Sender and recipient have unique public/private encryption and signing keys. These are generated on the device and controlled by the enterprise. Each message uses new random symmetric key for message encryption.
    • TLS Encryption (between the smart device and the BBM Infrastructure): Helps protect BBM Messages from eavesdropping or manipulation.

The BBM Enterprise SDK implementation with Appdome builds on existing work between the two companies, most recently adding the BlackBerry Dynamics platform as part of its fusion process. To learn more about the Appdome platform and BBM Enterprise SDK, or to request a demo, visit http://www.Appdome.com or https://us.blackberry.com/enterprise/bbm-enterprise-sdk.
    08-15-17 07:15 AM
    For those following Prem Watsa's overall investments (Warning: Seeking Alfa has reputation of having self-appointed experts and being a clicks mercenary)

https://seekingalpha.com/article/409...q2-2017-update
    "BlackBerry Inc. (BBRY): BBRY is Watsa’s largest position at ~41% of the 13F portfolio. The stake was first purchased in 2010 at around $50 for 2M shares. Since then, the position was aggressively built up to 46.7M shares (~9% of the business). His cost-basis is ~$17 and the stock currently trades at $8.78. There has only been very minor activity in the last 3+ years.
    Note: In Q4 2013, Fairfax co-sponsored a cash-infusion of $1B through convertible debentures ($10 conversion price earning 6% interest) - they financed $500M of that transaction and the remaining was funded by a consortium of other investment funds - the implied dilution took their ownership up to ~16.5% of the business. In Q3 2016, those shares were redeemed and new ones issued ($605M in 3.75% debentures convertible at $10 due 11/13/2020) to the same entities in a private placement."

On a separate subject Warren Buffet has dropped his investment in General Electric:
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/409...buffett-follow
    "Berkshire Hathaway's GE sale is not good news for shareholders, and it comes at a time when investor sentiment is already bearish."

And some interesting inverstment comments on the evolution under two separate CEO:
    Last edited by rarsen; 08-15-17 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Addede second comment on GE
    morganplus8 and Corbu like this.
    08-15-17 09:28 AM
    08-15-17 12:26 PM
    MobileIron and IBM have put out press releases regarding the IDC EMM report.. BlackBerry not yet?!

Posted via CB10
    08-15-17 01:08 PM
    MobileIron and IBM have put out press releases regarding the IDC EMM report.. BlackBerry not yet?!
    BlackBerry is in the mix....somewhere.

The 14 vendors evaluated in the study include Blackberry, Cisco, Citrix, Huawei, IBM, Ivanti, Jamf, Microsoft, MobileIron, SAP, Sophos, SOTI, VMware, and Zoho.
    08-15-17 02:46 PM
    But wait....there's more:

VMware, MobileIron, IBM, BlackBerry and Citrix make the top of the pile in IDC’s latest report examining enterprise mobility management (EMM).
    VMware, MobileIron, IBM, BlackBerry and Citrix top IDC EMM rankings - Enterprise Apps Tech News
    08-15-17 02:56 PM
    OT: JC
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-after-scandal
    Wells Fargo Names Duke Chair After Scandal Sees Sanger Exit

Wells Fargo & Co. said Elizabeth “Betsy” Duke will take over as chair of its board of directors next year as Stephen Sanger and two other longtime directors retire following a sales scandal under their watch.

[...]

Cynthia Milligan and Susan Swenson will retire from the board at the end of this year. The bank will add three additional independent directors before next year’s annual shareholders meeting.
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    08-15-17 03:46 PM
    Pre orders passed 140k now. One hour to go before sales begins. Hopefully it is going to be interesting to watch.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    08-15-17 08:03 PM
106,800 ... 41234124412541264127 ...