View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    RSI wise, the last time we were down this low was on March 8th closing at $6.68 a little over 5 months ago. After that we marched towards $11.39 before fading down again.

Will history repeat itself...
    morganplus8, rarsen and Corbu like this.
    08-10-17 09:55 AM
    Oh, is there a number two option? Darn thanks for pointing that out!..Geez!
    I thought when I buy shares, Im locked in forever. ( sarcasm... hehehe )
    Your sarcasm, my reality. This rollercoaster ride is like Hotel California for me. Former CEO found a way out but left me behind!
    La Emperor and Corbu like this.
    08-10-17 10:23 AM
    Your sarcasm, my reality. This rollercoaster ride is like Hotel California for me. Former CEO found a way out but left me behind!
    Sorry to hear that BM. Just to be clear my sarcastic message was for the whiner in the diner ( this is a cafe after all... ;-) ) Peace everyone! I'm sure we'll get some better says ahead.
    Corbu and morganplus8 like this.
    08-10-17 10:33 AM
    08-10-17 11:16 AM
    While on the subject of Jakarta...
    https://asia.nikkei.com/print/article/285518

NIKKEI Asian Review

August 10, 2017 2:39 pm JST
    BlackBerry hopes to power internet of things

Indonesia still key market as Canadian company switches from devices to security software

SIMON ROUGHNEEN, Asia Regional Correspondent

BlackBerry CEO John Chen meeting guests at an Aug. 9 event in Jakarta hosted by the Indonesian Canadian Chamber of Commerce and American Chamber of Commerce in Indonesia (Photo by Simon Roughneen)

JAKARTA -- For a decade or so before the market for touchscreen smartphones took off around 2010, BlackBerry's hand-held communication devices were ubiquitous among thumb-jockeying executives trying to keep in touch with the office outside working hours.

After several recent failed attempts to launch new phones and operating systems to compete against Apple, Google and Samsung Electronics products, the company that "made the modern cellphone," as BlackBerry's CEO John Chen puts it, is hoping to become the main supplier of secure applications and software for the next generation of internet-linked devices -- the much- touted "internet of things" -- from web-connected self-driving cars to "smart" domestic appliances that are expected to take off over the coming decade.

"It's going to be very much driven by securing end-point communications," Chen told the Nikkei Asian Review. "We want to be the number one secure communications in IoT. We have signed a deal with Ford for seven years to help them build their next generation cars."

Chen told an event in Jakarta organized by the American and Canadian chambers of commerce that using BlackBerry technology means "you can never be eavesdropped on."

Chen's speech in Indonesia -- BlackBerry's biggest market with around 60 million users "one way or another," according to the CEO -- came a day after the company's shares fell more than 3% after U.S. investment bank Goldman Sachs recommended that investors sell the stock.

In a client note, Goldman Sachs analyst Gabriela Borges said that while BlackBerry's products aimed at securing car computer systems were promising, it was too soon to say how long it would take the self-driving car market, which is still in its infancy, to drive earnings.

Security applications

BlackBerry declined to comment on the Goldman Sachs note, but Chen predicted that an autonomous vehicle would come out by 2021, "or maybe a bit later," adding that BlackBerry expertise would be vital to ensuring that such cars could not be hacked or commandeered remotely over the internet.

"A car without proper security or anti-hacking [systems] will become a weapon," he said, noting the recent use of cars as weapons by terrorists in major European cities such as Berlin and London.

Internet-enabled cars are one aspect of the IoT market that Gartner, a U.S.-based research company, predicts will reach 20.4 billion devices in use worldwide by 2020. up from 8.4 billion this year. According to Ericsson, "around 29 billion connected devices are forecast by 2022, of which around 18 billion will be related to IoT."

"We will be a much more massive tech company because of that," he said, taking a bullish tone on BlackBerry's prospects of carving out a lucrative niche in the nascent IoT market.

Chen added that BlackBerry's image would help in this regard. "If you remember the main thing about the Blackberry was security, reliability," he said.

Attempting to put distance between BlackBerry and other tech companies, Chen said that user data that pass through the company's servers are over-written, rather than retained. BlackBerry "never monetize[s] our customers data," he added, in a seeming dig at the business models of companies such as Facebook and Google.

Chen also reflected on some reasons for BlackBerry's decline over the last decade. Popular for its secure messenger service, the Canadian company lost ground as first, Apple's iPhone, and then devices made by Asian manufacturers such as Samsung and Huawei came to dominate the market, bolstered by comprehensive application libraries provided by Google's Android operating system and Apple's iOS. "One reason we lost the cellphone market was the lack of applications," Chen said.

More recent rival devices carried an array of free instant message or chat services such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Line, Viber, Telegram and Facebook Messenger, all of which reduced the once unique appeal of BlackBerry's free, in-house messenger service, which had earlier stood out against text messages delivered at a cost and usually unencrypted over regular phone networks.

Iconic status

In an ironic development, BlackBerry ended up creating applications enabling users of its old messenger service, still known by its acronym BBM, to chat and message on rival Apple and Android-enabled smartphones -- with the app now serving as the main platform for BlackBerry's market in Indonesia as BBM users choose from a range of other smartphones.

Indonesia therefore will remain a key market for BBM in Chen's view -- and for other social media and messaging providers. Of Indonesia's 260 million population, around 130 million have internet access, with an estimated 70 million more potential users who will get online over the next half decade if mobile networks expand across the archipelago's more remote 17,000 islands, with current coverage black spots including inland swathes of large islands such as Kalimantan and Sulawesi.

With habits perhaps honed by hours spent stuck in the city's often-gridlocked traffic, Jakarta was in the past touted as the world's "Twitter capital" while Instagram, the photo sharing application, recently said that Indonesia was its biggest user by country in the Asia-Pacific.

In 2009, BlackBerry's sales accounted for 20% of the global smartphone market. But even though in 2011 BlackBerry, then known as Research in Motion, sold a record 50 million smartphones worldwide, it was declining in relative terms as rivals appealed to the wider consumer market instead of the business and executive clientele that was the focus of BlackBerry.

As rivals saw sales skyrocket, BlackBerry suffered a crash landing with only 4 million units sold in 2016 -- a mere 0.1% of the global market, as competing touchscreen models proved more popular than the once-iconic mini-keyboard format beloved of "berry" enthusiasts such as former U.S. President Barack Obama.

Because of BlackBerry's iconic status, its downfall gained wide media attention. But Chen is confident that BlackBerry is finding its feet again. "Three and a half years ago the company was teetering, it had lost its way," he said. "Now we have about $2.6 billion in the bank."

"The revenues are a lot smaller now, but the margins are much higher," he said, explaining how the company ditched its once-lucrative but costly hardware business in favor of a complete focus on software.

Despite a lamentable history of false starts for BlackBerry's attempts to catch up with its smartphone rivals, new BlackBerry devices are appearing on Asian shelves as the company teams up with local manufacturers and partners that are licensed to produce new devices.

BlackBerry said in 2016 that it would no longer make its own phones. Last December, it licensed Chinese consumer electronics makers TCL to make the KEYone model. Aimed at the middle and high-end market, the device, with the signature blackberry keypad, went on sale in China at the beginning of August.

BlackBerry has also partnered in Indonesia with media and tech companies Emtek and Merah Putih to enhance its BBM service and to make the phones under license, with the first Indonesian-made BlackBerry phone, the Android-enabled Aurora, recently going on sale in Jakarta.

"In order to fight people like Apple and Samsung we need local partners," Chen said. "BlackBerry will [also] become a technology licensing company."
    La Emperor, rarsen, W Hoa and 2 others like this.
    08-10-17 11:23 AM
    And this...

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-20604509_1331498456947744_8147962819127940467_n.jpg
    La Emperor, rarsen and W Hoa like this.
    08-10-17 11:30 AM
    And this...
    Ke Jakarta, Bos Blackberry Temui Menperin - Warta Ekonomi

GT is our friend (sort of):

Minister of Industry Airlangga Hartarto received the visit of Executive Chairman & CEO of Blackberry Canada John Chen at Ministry of Industry Building, Jakarta.

"They courtesy the call with the Minister, then they convey about the security that became the mainstay of Blackberry," said Director General of Metal, Machine, Transportation Machinery and Electronics I Gusti Putu Suryawirawan in Jakarta, Wednesday (9/8/2017).

Putu said, data security systems and networks owned by Blackberry is a mainstay, because they have their own algorithm.

On that occasion, Putu said that the Minister of Airlangga requested that BlackBerry producers in Indonesia, namely BB Red and White add type of mobile phone in Indonesia, not only Aurora.

"BB Merah Putih has been launched, Pak Minister asked not only one model, make another model, yes even though it is competition, because there are more than 23 of them here," said Putu.

Known, Aurora smart phones are a product of the joint venture of PT BB Merah Putih (BBMP), which formed through cooperation between BlackBerry with local companies.

Previously, another Indonesian company that is Elang Mahkota Teknologi (EMTEK) get licensed technology from messaging application Blackberry Messenger. With this license Blackberry Messenger (BBM) system can be operated in Indonesia. (Ant)
    How about those 4th and 5th paragraphs?

I would appreciate it if someone who actually speaks Indonesian can clarify that GT translation. Thanks!
    rarsen and morganplus8 like this.
    08-10-17 11:36 AM
    Vuzix did 1.4 million USD in sales last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-10-17 01:02 PM
    According to Ericsson, "around 29 billion connected devices are forecast by 2022, of which around 18 billion will be related to IoT."

"We will be a much more massive tech company because of that," (Chen) said, taking a bullish tone on BlackBerry's prospects of carving out a lucrative niche in the nascent IoT market.
    Today's best use of 'massive'.
    08-10-17 05:17 PM
    Sorry Gang!

OT: from my TD Alerts.

BRIEF-Sophiris Bio Q2 earnings per share $0.02
    2017-08-10 05:26:03 PM ET (Reuters)

Aug 10 (Reuters) - Sophiris Bio Inc
    * Sophiris Bio reports second quarter financial results and key corporate highlights
    * Q2 earnings per share $0.02
    * Q2 earnings per share view $-0.09 -- Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S
    * Sophiris Bio- not planning on second Phase 3 trial in BPH, unless can secure development partner to fund new clinical trial or obtain other financing​
    * Sophiris Bio Inc- ‍expects that its cash and cash equivalents will be sufficient to fund its operations through end of 2018​
    * Sophiris Bio Inc- ‍expects to receive 24- week biopsy data for all patients from first dose of topsalysin in Q1 of 2018​ Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:
    08-10-17 06:24 PM
    Pre orders in jd.com has exceeded 70K. It probably will reach half million by 16th. This is China sales only. I think similar number will be for India. In that case, it will be 1 million sales just in China and India this quarter only. It would be 10 to 20 million pure profit. Isn't that good?
    La Emperor likes this.
    08-10-17 11:00 PM
    Vuzix did 1.4 million USD in sales last quarter.
    On the other hand....

As we await AR to hit the big time, it's finding its feet nicely in enterprise. Vuzix is one of the biggest names in this space right now, and it's just found an ally... in BlackBerry.
    https://www.wareable.com/smartglasse...lasses-ar-5664
    Last edited by W Hoa; 08-11-17 at 05:37 AM.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    08-11-17 05:12 AM
    Here are our eight letters to BB. Even to the frist more friendly ones we never got a reply.

Attachment 428398
    Attachment 428399
    Attachment 428400
    Attachment 428401
    Attachment 428402
    Attachment 428403
    Attachment 428404
    Attachment 428405
    thanks for taking the time to upload the letters.

I'm not sure if you would like a comment or not. (?) If anything they are inline with what you have expressed on this thread.
    08-11-17 06:46 AM
    thanks for taking the time to upload the letters.

I'm not sure if you would like a comment or not. (?) If anything they are inline with what you have expressed on this thread.
    Feel free to comment
    08-11-17 06:53 AM
    More video of JC in Indonesia:

rarsen, W Hoa and morganplus8 like this.
    08-11-17 07:05 AM
    Feel free to comment
    the main thing I read is that you are very frustrated. If I received those letters my assumption would be that sending those letters acted as a venting process for you, and that whatever I wrote back would only stoke the fire and potentially be a liability exposure for me. in other words, unless I was required by law to respond, I wouldn't, other than a general comment in a quarterly call or interview. Much of what you ask about is business sensitive information that I wouldn't want my competitors to have, so unless (again) there is a very compelling reason to disclose that information, I wouldn't.

As for the last letter, even though it is easy to become emotionally attached to something, if you look back at the time it took you to write that letter when you are on your death bed, do you think you would have spent that time writing it? there a no numbers of other stocks out there that have outperformed BBRY over the last few months. if BB management angers you so, why not cut your losses and move on?

or, if you flip it around, what if BB provided answers to everything you asked for? would that make a difference for you, if it didn't result in a change of direction?

with regards to how you have written them, I would recommend reading a book called "Getting to yes".
    08-11-17 07:27 AM
    Cars Are Semiconductors’ ‘Biggest Long-Term Growth Opportunity’ - Barron's

Zino writes that a number of tech companies should benefit. Intel (INTC) has a dominant market position in the PC processor and data center server markets, but it will launch its next generation processors in the coming quarters for connected car—and its interest in the sector is evidenced by its acquisition of Mobileye. BlackBerry’s (BBRY) QNX Software System counts more than 40 automotive parts makers among its customers, Nividia (NVDA) has shown how artificial intelligence can be applied within the car, and Qualcomm’s (QCOM) Snapdragon processors are key components in mid-to-high-end in-vehicle infotainment systems.
    Last edited by Corbu; 08-11-17 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Added excerpt
    08-11-17 07:32 AM
    For those seeking additional information on Cloud Services, with increasing trend towards software and need for security. Would be nice to note increased BB presence in that important market:

What is cloud computing? Everything you need to know from public and private cloud to software as a service | ZDNet
    Cloud computing is becoming the default option for many services: software vendors are increasingly offering their applications as services over the internet rather than standalone products as they try to switch to a subscription model. 451 Research predicts that around one-third of enterprise IT spending will be on hosting and cloud services this year "indicating a growing reliance on external sources of infrastructure, application, management and security services". Analyst Gartner predicts that half of global enterprises using the cloud now will have gone all-in on it by 2021.

Cloud computing security: This is where you'll be spending the money | ZDNet
    According to Forrester, the market for cloud security solutions grew 28 percent every year up to 2021, from $1bn in 2016 to $3.5bn in 2021, although it will remain small compared to the total public cloud market, which will hit $236bn by 2020.
    Corbu, morganplus8 and La Emperor like this.
    08-11-17 07:35 AM
    the main thing I read is that you are very frustrated. If I received those letters my assumption would be that sending those letters acted as a venting process for you, and that whatever I wrote back would only stoke the fire and potentially be a liability exposure for me. in other words, unless I was required by law to respond, I wouldn't, other than a general comment in a quarterly call or interview. Much of what you ask about is business sensitive information that I wouldn't want my competitors to have, so unless (again) there is a very compelling reason to disclose that information, I wouldn't.

As for the last letter, even though it is easy to become emotionally attached to something, if you look back at the time it took you to write that letter when you are on your death bed, do you think you would have spent that time writing it? there a no numbers of other stocks out there that have outperformed BBRY over the last few months. if BB management angers you so, why not cut your losses and move on?

or, if you flip it around, what if BB provided answers to everything you asked for? would that make a difference for you, if it didn't result in a change of direction?

with regards to how you have written them, I would recommend reading a book called "Getting to yes".
    I never asked for exlusive sensitive information, I only asked BlackBerry to proivde shareholders all the information necessary to make their investment decision.

Your argument about "sell and move on" have been written by other "wise" guys on this board already and I am sorry this is just a dumb argument. Shareholders own the company and the CEO and BOD have fiduciary duties. So why should I sell my shares in a company that has in my opinion great products in great areas onyl because the management acts with an arroganzt hybris as if the company belongs to them? What do you think activist investors are doing? Buying shares and sitting on their hands watching how managements runs the company down the drain.

I have never understood sharehoderls like you that blindly accept the actions of the CEO and are takinig year long underperformance as karma.

And in the hindsight I would have these letters exact in the same way otherwise I would have not written them in the first place.
    08-11-17 07:42 AM

I never asked for exlusive sensitive information, I only asked BlackBerry to proivde shareholders all the information necessary to make their investment decision.

Your argument about "sell and move on" have been written by other "wise" guys on this board already and I am sorry this is just a dumb argument. Shareholders own the company and the CEO and BOD have fiduciary duties. So why should I sell my shares in a company that has in my opinion great products in great areas onyl because the management acts with an arroganzt hybris as if the company belongs to them? What do you think activist investors are doing? Buying shares and sitting on their hands watching how managements runs the company down the drain? Sure not, so why should I do it different?

I have never understood sharehoderls like you that blindly accept the actions of the CEO and are takinig year long underperformance as karma.

And in the hindsight I would have these letters exact in the same way otherwise I would have not written them in the first place.
    08-11-17 07:47 AM
    Slightly OT:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/hbos-ha...ege-1502443802
    HBO’s Hack: ‘Hollywood Is Under Siege’

morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    08-11-17 07:59 AM
    Slightly OT:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/hbos-ha...ege-1502443802
    HBO’s Hack: ‘Hollywood Is Under Siege’
    Who do you gonna call: Hack Busters from BlackBerry
    FeitaInc likes this.
    08-11-17 08:09 AM
    Your argument about "sell and move on" have been written by other "wise" guys on this board already and I am sorry this is just a dumb argument. Shareholders own the company and the CEO and BOD have fiduciary duties. So why should I sell my shares in a company that has in my opinion great products in great areas onyl because the management acts with an arroganzt hybris as if the company belongs to them? What do you think activist investors are doing? Buying shares and sitting on their hands watching how managements runs the company down the drain.
    Activist investors often take big position in the stock. If you go out an buy a 20% stake in BB, I'm sure JC et al would hear you out. if you don't like management, then hope that the customers of BB don't think like you.

my point was more that I hope that there is a substantial upside for you. or else you're just (in my opinion) inflicting suffering on yourself and others by focusing on things that (if the responses to your letters is anything to go buy) you have a slim to no chance of changing.

it feels like you are just lashing out here. I gave you some comments which I think could help you write better letters going forward. try reading what I have written on this thread, and I think you might reconsider your categorising of "my type of investor". you are angry and are in the red. I get it. that doesn't mean or give you the right to be act the way you do.

I apologise if I chose a trite framing of my point. again, I can only recommend to read that book. perhaps also a book called "ego is the enemy".
    La Emperor and alludba like this.
    08-11-17 08:28 AM
    Pre orders in jd.com has exceeded 70K. It probably will reach half million by 16th. This is China sales only. I think similar number will be for India. In that case, it will be 1 million sales just in China and India this quarter only. It would be 10 to 20 million pure profit. Isn't that good?
    That would be helpful certainly. Have these 70k put down money?
    08-11-17 08:49 AM
    That would be helpful certainly. Have these 70k put down money?
    It has several promotions together. 0 down free trial is one of them.
    FYI, latest number is over 85000.
    08-11-17 09:21 AM
113,251 ... 41214122412341244125 ...