View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    OT watching SPHS roll down a gentle slope is ugly. This is RWs payback for the options he didn't get. Rewind this a few months and I'd vote them all off the board. Good opportunity to average down for most but I'd be averaging up so I'll keep watching.

PSDV Im back in today. Bought and sold at 1.69 a few months ago (even) to watch it go to 2.20 and then way back down. Looks like a good level to test an entry.
    Merboy6969 likes this.
    08-04-17 05:21 PM
    weekend music gang.

Last edited by bbjdog; 08-04-17 at 06:49 PM.
    Corbu and take99 like this.
    08-04-17 06:11 PM
    Would be awesome to see BlackBerry involved in this market.
    Corbu, rarsen and bbjdog like this.
    08-04-17 10:24 PM
    Another action by John Chen that was completely unnecessary and only undermined employee morale even further. The bad press is the icing on the cake. Stupid, really stupid
    We're going to have to wait for details on this one. When the news broke it really sounded like BlackBerry was going to let all their hardware division go, but instead of outright mass layoffs, they secured a deal with Ford to hire the division.

Probably a lot of people were unhappy that they got jobs instead of a severance package. I know I was pissed when that happened to me many moons ago. I wanted a 6 month paid vacation (aka severance) when my dept was cut. Instead, I got transferred back to my old dept that I didn't want to go back to. I quit and got nothing. Others got their severance.

Grr. Now I'm pissed again! SUE THEM!

Seriously though. BlackBerry's decision was probably good for some, not-so-good for others. My bet is that the suit goes nowhere.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor, rarsen, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    08-04-17 11:45 PM
    I got the message! Your anti-Chen.
    I was pro Chen for years but after he

- f**cked up every new BlackBerry phone presentation
    - was not able to stop revenue declince despite his "bottom is 500 million $ per quarter" promise
    - said three quarters ago that BlackBerry has to focus on sales, but so far did not follow through with any actions
    - never answered any critical questions from stakeholders
    -asked stakeholders to "stay tuned" for nothing
    - f**cked up the transfer of 400 employees to Ford, the first and therefore most important Tier 1 customer for QNX
    - showed quarter after quarter that he just gives a damn sh**t about shareholders

Yes, I got slightly anti-Chen

Posted via CB10
    Corbu likes this.
    08-05-17 12:41 AM
    I was pro Chen for years but after he

- never answered any critical questions from stakeholders
    -asked stakeholders to "stay tuned" for nothing
    - f**cked up the transfer of 400 employees to Ford, the first and therefore most important Tier 1 customer for QNX
    - showed quarter after quarter that he just gives a damn sh**t about shareholders

Posted via CB10

When you're CEO of a publicly traded company,

Stakeholders (most likely hardware consumers since that's what most refer to) don't matter when you're exiting a cash draining business.

Employees were transferred to Ford. They're lucky they still have jobs, period.

You're paid to run the company by shareholders, the largest shareholders have the most power since they own the most shares. Overwhelmingly, the shareholders keep voting in favor of Chen.
    bbjdog, La Emperor, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    08-05-17 04:02 AM
    When you're CEO of a publicly traded company,

Stakeholders (most likely hardware consumers since that's what most refer to) don't matter when you're exiting a cash draining business.

Employees were transferred to Ford. They're lucky they still have jobs, period.

You're paid to run the company by shareholders, the largest shareholders have the most power since they own the most shares. Overwhelmingly, the shareholders keep voting in favor of Chen.
    The largest shareholder has an average price of around 15$ per share and due to John Chen's miserable failures in execution the share price still hovers around 10$ meaning the largest shareholder has been underwater for over three years now. So how did John Chen run the company for shareholders so far? He gets paid for it, but does not deliver

Posted via CB10
    Corbu likes this.
    08-05-17 05:20 AM
    The largest shareholder has an average price of around 15$ per share and due to John Chen's miserable failures in execution the share price still hovers around 10$ meaning the largest shareholder has been underwater for over three years now. So how did John Chen run the company for shareholders so far? He gets paid for it, but does not deliver

Posted via CB10
    Then why do the shareholders, including the one you mention, keep voting to keep him?
    bbjdog, Corbu and alludba like this.
    08-05-17 07:14 AM
    Let's not forget that both BlackBerry and Ford came up with this deal.. so if the former employees decide to file a lawsuit against BlackBerry.. they might as well do the same against their current employer, Ford.

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor and morganplus8 like this.
    08-05-17 09:02 AM
    I cant see these bb to Ford employees not having signed off on a legally tight transfer agreement where by they sign off any right to severance. The question might be did they get their time of employment at BlackBerry taken on by Ford in case they lose that job so they get full severance including their blackberry years.
    08-05-17 10:24 AM
    I cant see these bb to Ford employees not having signed off on a legally tight transfer agreement where by they sign off any right to severance. The question might be did they get their time of employment at BlackBerry taken on by Ford in case they lose that job so they get full severance including their blackberry years.
    I believe that's the argument. That their employment time period is set to zero days, not transfered, and for those that declined the Ford offer were considered to have resigned, forfeiting any rights to severance. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and to see all the facts in the matter.
    W Hoa and Christophe Piquemal like this.
    08-05-17 11:08 AM
    Reading material, not specific to BB, but interesting examples on it.

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english...continuity.php
    08-05-17 11:28 AM
    Then why do the shareholders, including the one you mention, keep voting to keep him?
    That is a good question, but good performance of the shares is for sure not one of the reasons

Posted via CB10
    08-05-17 12:09 PM
    I believe that's the argument. That their employment time period is set to zero days, not transfered, and for those that declined the Ford offer were considered to have resigned, forfeiting any rights to severance. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and to see all the facts in the matter.
    "and for those that declined the Ford offer were considered to have resigned, forfeiting any rights to severance"

I don't think that's the case? BlackBerry would look for opportunities inside the company if someone declined the offer from Ford. If BlackBerry couldn't allocate them to a different department, then BlackBerry would have needed to fire them (with severance but without a job). It seems most opted for job security, until someone saw an opportunity for $$$.. BlackBerry couldn't force anyone to accept the Ford offer, nor could they treat someone who rejects the offer like someone who resigns from the company. I think that would have been a negative for their careers though.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-05-17 12:17 PM
    Let's keep in mind all the negative headlines about BlackBerry. Specifically the rise and fall of a great Canadian company! Who in their right mind would not except a Ford position.
    08-05-17 03:43 PM
    OT watching SPHS roll down a gentle slope is ugly. This is RWs payback for the options he didn't get. Rewind this a few months and I'd vote them all off the board. Good opportunity to average down for most but I'd be averaging up so I'll keep watching.
    My plan is definitively to average down, but it'll be interesting to see how low it will go before it (hopefully) bounces back.
    08-06-17 11:58 AM
    I think these criticisms of Chen are valid, but Fairfax is used to 5+ year investment horizons, and are being paid to wait. His time to complete the turnaround (growing total company revenues in double digits) is definitely shorter though.

Regarding the Ford 'transfer ' note it was never really a transfer, but more of a negotiated re - employment opportunity where the employee agrees to accept new employment at Ford, including signing bonuses (from what I understand), in exchange for their resignation at bbry (rather than termination). Anyone who signed the contract would now have to prove (weight of evidence) that they were deceived, or that the language in the contract itself was factually misrepresented. As a class action, the case would revolve around the original claimant, as well as any others who fit the scope and feel they have an equivalent claim. It's likely going to be hard to win, especially if signing bonuses were involved, and I'm not convinced that the the number of claimants is going to be very large. Sounds to me more like a case or two of 'buyers remorse' once these new Ford (ex-bbry) employees realized the full impacts of what their lack of seignority means in a fully CAW unionized environment.

I don't believe that the case is about those who didn't sign the Ford employment contract,
    08-06-17 11:59 AM
    I believe Inseego is publishing their results today. Someone over at Seeking Alpha claimed that BlackBerry could be in talks with Inseego about a potential acquistion. They're likely to post a loss which could push them below 1 USD per share.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-17 05:13 AM
    It seems Goldman Sachs downgrade BBRY today to "sell" with a PT of 8.50$. Really sad how easy John Chen and his management are making lives for analysts hating BlackBerry and shortsellers by failing miserably to execute on sales and marketing
    08-07-17 07:16 AM
    https://www.streetinsider.com/Analys.../13173397.html

Goldman Sachs initiates coverage on BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) with a Sell rating and a price target of $8.50.

Analyst Gabriela Borges believes the future opportunity from autos is dampened by enterprise mobility risks. The analyst sees risks to performance in H2 and does not expect any material contributions from automotive over the next 1.5 years. Borges further comments that it would be more likely that BBRY acquire a distribution channel in enterprise or in automotive as opposed to some form of a technology asset.
    bbjdog and La Emperor like this.
    08-07-17 09:25 AM
    John Chen fails miserably when it comes to execution period. The fact that GS only refers to enterprise mobility and automotive and not RADAR or BBM shows another failure of John Chen: the failure to sell his vision to investors
    08-07-17 09:32 AM
    08-07-17 09:42 AM
    3 Reasons to Sell Blackberry - Barron's

So you don't have to click...

3 Reasons to Sell Blackberry

Shares of Blackberry have rallied this year, but this Goldman Sachs analyst says it's time to sell the stock. Here's why.

By Johanna Bennett Updated Aug. 7, 2017 9:46 a.m. ET

Goldman Sachs has resumed coverage of Blackberry (BBRY) today, and analyst Gabriela Borges is telling investors to sell.

As of Friday’s closing bell, Blackberry’s share price had risen more than 37% since the start of the year, and the stock fetched a multiple of 4 times NTM EV/Sales owing to “a stronger balance sheet the transition from hardware to software and optionality around advanced driver assisted systems software.” But Borges sees a 10% downside to her $8.50 target price.

...with the auto business trading at an implied 13-17X revenue, and unlikely to ramp meaningfully until 2019, we think fundamentals will be the primary driver of the stock over the next 12 months. On this point, we see risk to 2HFY18 and FY19 estimates given the Street modeling a sharp inflection, and increasing competition in EMM., and cites three reasons for her concern.
    Borges goes into more detail:

BlackBerry has outperformed the S&P 500 by 26% YTD, and by 8% over the past year. There have been several positives: In September 2016, the company announced its intention to exit the hardware business and instead focus on software that leverages its core IP in security and communications. In October 2016, BlackBerry announced an expanded agreement with Ford to expand into multiple areas of automotive technology. In April 2017, Qualcomm agreed to pay BlackBerry $815 mn for overpayment on royalties, strengthening BlackBerry’s balance sheet. The company now holds 33% of its market cap in cash, and announced a 31 mn share repurchase in June 2017).

We recognize each of these factors as material positives for a company that is in the later innings of a turnaround. However, with automotive not likely ramping materially until 2019/2020 (based on management comments and 2-3 year production cycles), we believe near-term fundamentals will still matter for the stock (as evidenced by 15% underperformance post the last earnings report, after reporting 1Q18 revenue 9% below the Street). On this point, we believe the enterprise mobility market is becoming incrementally more competitive, in part due to bundling from larger suite providers, and in part due to growth from non-regulated industries, where BlackBerry’s product is less well positioned. We are 3% below the Street on FY18 revenue and 8% below on FY19. Lastly, our SOTP valuation suggests that investors are valuing the automotive opportunity at 13-17X EV/sales, which we believe already reflects long-term optionality, as it compares to high-growth M&A comps at an average of 6X EV/sales, and auto/AI chip vendor Nvidia at 8X EV/sales.

At a recent $9.17, Blackberry shares are down almost 3% in recent market action.
    bbjdog and rarsen like this.
    08-07-17 09:56 AM
    It's time to start the Buyback program and start accumulating over time. Just my two cents worth.
    08-07-17 09:56 AM
    man what a sucky morning so far. this stock causes so much stress on my heart haha
    08-07-17 09:57 AM
107,458 ... 41164117411841194120 ...