View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    The forever long term investment... anyone open for that 'open letter' to JC? How are they spending that cash? Not doing buybacks I reckon.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and La Emperor like this.
    07-31-17 03:15 PM
    DOW record highs again. BBRY sinking again. Anyone in charge there?
    07-31-17 03:46 PM
    Personally I think we should wait a couple of months to see what they bring out this fall. Right now there's just some smoke, but if there's a fire somewhere then the fall might prove interesting. (I guess that metaphor is a bit ambiguous.)

I had a chat with a recent hire (<1 year) at BB in the UK and he said the company was abuzz internally with high moral and a clear sense of being on the right path. We ended up talking for a while, and the talk left me with a good feeling. That said, it didn't leave him with a sale, so there's that. :P
    La Emperor, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    07-31-17 03:48 PM
    Personally I think we should wait a couple of months to see what they bring out this fall. Right now there's just some smoke, but if there's a fire somewhere then the fall might prove interesting. (I guess that metaphor is a bit ambiguous.)

I had a chat with a recent hire (<1 year) at BB in the UK and he said the company was abuzz internally with high moral and a clear sense of being on the right path. We ended up talking for a while, and the talk left me with a good feeling. That said, it didn't leave him with a sale, so there's that. :P
    I am sure that BlackBerry has great products in growing business segments, but unfortunately it has also a CEO that would be a great COO, but is a real bad CEO. Also all these Sybase buddies are not best in class either

Posted via CB10
    07-31-17 04:11 PM
    I guess we have discussed the CEO/COO thing before, so no reason to jump down that rabbit hole again.

With regards to JC spending that cash they got on hand, I think the following quote is fitting:

"We don't try to do acquisitions—we wait for no-brainers."
    Charlie Munger
    cjcampbell likes this.
    07-31-17 04:15 PM
    Possibilities of Cyber Warfare is increasingly becoming important, OT long article for those interested by the subject:

Defending against cyberwar: How the cybersecurity elite are working to prevent a digital apocalypse | ZDNet
    "The two-day exercise, organized by a NATO-affiliated cyber defence think tank, aims to test the skills of these teams at defending a range of technology--from PCs and servers to air traffic control systems. This year there were 18 national teams, plus one team from NATO itself playing the game. Exercises like this have been growing in scale in recent years, as it has become clear that cyberwarfare has moved from the largely theoretical to the worryingly likely. Incidents such as the 2015 hacking attack on the power grid in western Ukraine, which caused a blackout leaving hundreds of thousands without power, have shown the effectiveness of using digital attacks against critical infrastructure."
    bbjdog, Corbu, W Hoa and 2 others like this.
    07-31-17 06:48 PM
    Sorry for the late post gang! If true, trusting in a foreign company for security!!! What a joke!! By the way Blackberry no longer makes devices!!! LMAO

One more thing, who will be securing those devices??

I had a monkey picture but will not post it, still laughing at it.

From my TD alerts.

08:49 AM EDT, 07/31/2017 (MT Newswires) -- Picking bureaucrats out of the crowd is about to become more difficult, the Globe & Mail reports. Over the next 18 months, the federal government's sprawling IT department, Shared Services Canada, will begin offering alternative smartphone devices in what it calls "a new approach to mobile service to better serve its clients, use new technology and adapt to changes in the marketplace."
    Samsung Electronics will be the first vendor of an Android-based smartphone approved for federal employees, winding down BlackBerry's (BB.TO) long-held dominance in providing secure devices in the nation's capital.
    The Waterloo, Ont.-based company was always far ahead of competitors in devices and software that were hardened against security breaches. But now, Samsung finally has devices that match the gold standard set BlackBerry's past hardware efforts.
    It took two years for Samsung to stickhandle through Shared Service's requirements. The company had to prove that, like BlackBerry, it could pass several military-grade certifications required by agencies such as the spymasters at the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) and the Communications Security Establishment (CSE).
    The move to open Ottawa's doors to foreign competitors highlights the inevitable end of an era for BlackBerry, which has been shifting away from the handset business and outsourced its manufacturing to third parties in the previous fiscal year.
    07-31-17 07:06 PM
    The G&M... What else is new... What a disgrace.

Thanks, mate!
    bbjdog and rarsen like this.
    07-31-17 07:21 PM
    Your being to polite by calling them a disgrace mate!!
    Corbu, La Emperor and rarsen like this.
    07-31-17 07:26 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-blackberry-keyone-launch-1.jpg

https://www.gizmochina.com/2017/07/3...ugust-8-china/
    BlackBerry KEYOne Launching On August 8 In China

Sina Visitor System
    bbjdog, alludba, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    07-31-17 07:48 PM

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-keyone_5.jpg

https://www.bbin.in/2017/08/video-unboxing-hands-new-blackberry-keyone-limited-edition-black/

VIDEO: UNBOXING & HANDS-ON OF THE NEW BLACKBERRY KEYONE LIMITED EDITION BLACK

https://crackberry.com/understanding...kC2gQ9kxYpt.97
    Understanding the difference between the KEYone from Optiemus in India and the KEYone from BlackBerry Mobile, a business unit of TCL

08-01-17 06:30 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackBerry-KEYone-Launch-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	428058

Sina Visitor System
    Is that the predicted SP?
    08-01-17 07:19 AM
    Is that the predicted SP?
    There may be other meanings but the number 8 symbolizes wealth and prosperity in Chinese.
    08-01-17 08:40 AM
    wthhh blackberrry, god. Back in the red
    08-01-17 08:41 AM
    There may be other meanings but the number 8 symbolizes wealth and prosperity in Chinese.
    But unfortunately not for BBRY shareholders

Posted via CB10
    08-01-17 11:37 AM
    The forever long term investment... anyone open for that 'open letter' to JC? How are they spending that cash? Not doing buybacks I reckon.

Posted via CB10
    Even if we heard that BlackBerry was consistently buying stock down here, I would not be so frustrated.
    Further, when we hear TD selling large blocks, that really chaps my hide.
    08-01-17 11:41 AM
    Even if we heard that BlackBerry was consistently buying stock down here, I would not be so frustrated.
    Further, when we hear TD selling large blocks, that really chaps my hide.
    So they're getting out... Isn't that what they get paid to do if manager thinks shares are going lower??
    08-01-17 11:47 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlackBerry-KEYone-Launch-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	428058

Sina Visitor System
    ... Is it safe to presume that sir Chen knows the Chinese market?
    I have to say that I am a bit jazzed that we (heh) are launching in China with a device that has not been done yet; also by a Chinese vendor.

BTW - August is the eighth month, so if BlackBerry really wanted to tweek the Chinese feng shui for this eighth-day launch then the graphic should have read '88'. Not a joke, the Chinese are generally so superstitious with numbers that if BlackBerry launched a device over there dubbed 'The BlackBerry 88' it would sell millions just on that accord.
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    08-01-17 11:58 AM
    Point well taken, Bacon.

From what I have been able to see, the "8" on this specific image refers to "8 days to go" until launch. I know they produced a similar "9", image and I suspect they will go on daily, as the "2017.8.8" date gets nearer...
    08-01-17 12:04 PM
    08-01-17 12:05 PM
    So they're getting out... Isn't that what they get paid to do if manager thinks shares are going lower??
    Yeah, rightly said, but I was alluding to BlackBerry not countering these trades by committing to their ER buyback statement.
    I suppose if we see the stock stoop even lower, then they will buy. It worries me as a long investor that there seems to be game playing on both sides; all at the detriment to the little guy.

I guess that we should take a breath here and realize that Chen too is personally invested in this stock...
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 1 others like this.
    08-01-17 12:06 PM
    [QUOTE=Bacon Munchers;12977493]Even if we heard that BlackBerry was consistently buying stock down here, I would not be so frustrated.
    Further, when we hear TD selling large blocks, that really chaps my hide.[/QUOTE

Yeah this is frustrating. I understand that JC needs to manage expectations so that we don't have days of minus 20% hitting the stock, but this silence......? The stock is sent back to levels of pre-qualcomm announcement (if you deduct the refund), and none of the 968 million was JC's accomplishment anyway. So where do they stand, 4 years into the turnaround with JC at the helm? Was his strategy the right one, now that SAF and hardware are basically zero and we're left with mediocre growth for a small but promising software company? It seems the market isn't giving it much value. I'm sure it could be a valuable business, but probably more to a competitor. You can't sit on billions of dollars, have 600m in debt that you can't pay back, and not do a smart acquisition because every other company is overpriced, except for your company! The more I think of it, the more I believe they should hype the company....... and sell. And JC is not the right person for that.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and Bacon Munchers like this.
    08-01-17 12:10 PM
    [QUOTE=_dimi_;12977524]
    Further, when we hear TD selling large blocks, that really chaps my hide.[/QUOTE

Yeah this is frustrating. I understand that JC needs to manage expectations so that we don't have days of minus 20% hitting the stock, but this silence......? The stock is sent back to levels of pre-qualcomm announcement (if you deduct the refund), and none of the 968 million was JC's accomplishment anyway. So where do they stand, 4 years into the turnaround with JC at the helm? Was his strategy the right one, now that SAF and hardware are basically zero and we're left with mediocre growth for a small but promising software company? It seems the market isn't giving it much value. I'm sure it could be a valuable business, but probably more to a competitor. You can't sit on billions of dollars, have 600m in debt that you can't pay back, and not do a smart acquisition because every other company is overpriced, except for your company! The more I think of it, the more I believe they should hype the company....... and sell. And JC is not the right person for that.

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean have billions of dollars and $600 million debt you can't pay back?
    08-01-17 12:21 PM
    [QUOTE=Chuck Finley69;12977532]

What do you mean have billions of dollars and $600 million debt you can't pay back?
    They're paying interest on debt that they don't need anymore; and they can't redeem the bond that they issued.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and Christophe Piquemal like this.
    08-01-17 12:29 PM
    [QUOTE=_dimi_;12977539]

They're paying interest on debt that they don't need anymore; and they can't redeem the bond that they issued.

Posted via CB10
    It is understood that Chen is absolutely good with money and I believe he knows what he is doing.
    08-01-17 01:06 PM
106,800 ... 41144115411641174118 ...