View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    Regarding Marty Beard on the UTB webcast, anyone else notice how often he referred to the licensing deal in Indonesia as a 'joint venture'? To me that was new information. Media had been claiming it was a joint venture, but I think this was the first time that someone at BlackBerry has actually confirmed it?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and alludba like this.
    12-12-16 05:15 AM
    Regarding Marty Beard on the UTB webcast, anyone else notice how often he referred to the licensing deal in Indonesia as a 'joint venture'? To me that was new information. Media had been claiming it was a joint venture, but I think this was the first time that someone at BlackBerry has actually confirmed it?

Posted via CB10
    Dimi,

It is a joint venture but Blackberry is not part of the joint venture. Blackberry will be just licensing to the jv.

The joint venture is led by PT Tiphone, an affiliate of Telkomsel, which is the largest carrier in Indonesia with more than two times the subscriber base of the next largest carrier, as well as Merah Putih and its affiliates which account for nearly half of the total Indonesian mobile market.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/09/...y-takes-ahold/
    12-12-16 07:03 AM
    Dimi,

It is a joint venture but Blackberry is not part of the joint venture. Blackberry will be just licensing to the jv.

The joint venture is led by PT Tiphone, an affiliate of Telkomsel, which is the largest carrier in Indonesia with more than two times the subscriber base of the next largest carrier, as well as Merah Putih and its affiliates which account for nearly half of the total Indonesian mobile market.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/09/...y-takes-ahold/
    Ahhh :-) thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and sidhuk like this.
    12-12-16 07:32 AM
    Hey Morgan, I was curious about your opinion on Blackberry long term. Like 5-10 years from now. Do you think Chen can really find alot of growth in IOT and cars or is it a long shot?
    That's a loaded question, the first signs of a company controlling it's sector is to see profits and margins that are superior to the competition, something like Apple has enjoyed for years now. The secure sector is growing at between 5 - 8 % and BB is beyond that. We are seeing BB begin to show signs of this with QNX, projections of growth in QNX for 2018 are likely to include much better margins. As for IOT, they need to align themselves with someone like Samsung to build scale in appliances and home hardware with others. There are additional areas that they can attach to and build out the security/location portfolio within, and with scale, they control profits and margins in the space. I think tracking of personal goods, people, pets etc., is a whole new area of growth that is fragmented right now. I hope that BB is looking into securing everything out there, not just transportation and communication. We will know soon enough as we head into Fiscal 2018, if he projects superior growth in software for that period, we are likely to see big things from BB and Chen. I signed on for the 5-year turn around and it appears that we are nicely on track. The last two months have seen us hear nothing but positive news out of the company and the media, that's rare indeed. In some respects, QNX looks to be the "Apple" of the auto industry now, it is difficult to stop using QNX and move to an unknown product while manufacturing is dependent on all the parts coming together in a timely fashion. We need to see signs of our one trick pony in MOBL beginning to falter and then we can feel better about BB's secure software suite too. I think they can make big waves in 2018 and beyond here. I hope that answered your question.
    12-12-16 07:37 AM
    On the ot note Morgan are you optimistic of the data to be released by acad before years end? I have a small position in that and waiting to get back into halo. Also bought some sphs for my gf Tfsa account, hope it will help her with a down-payment one day

Other trades I've done which is short bac and mfc just purely on an overbought basis. Just don't know how long this trump rally can sustain
    I'm a huge fan of ACAD, I have been with it for many years now and think they will be acquired at some point. I can't predict their data but they have a history of producing solid data in the past. The whole sector is deeply discounted thanks to Trump, didn't see him making the comment that he did nor do I worry about it. He is simply stating what Hilary was trying to convey prior to the election, that some companies are taking advantage of the system and it has to stop. At no time are these public figures suggesting that drug pioneers should not be allowed to make decent returns on their risky investments, but Wall Street runs with the news and drops the sector.

As for the Trump rally, it works this way, the DOW Jones goes up, it levels out, the S&P goes up, it levels out, then all other sectors rally while the large cap sectors looks to be topping out. Money flows into finance, then industrials, transportation etc., before working its way to our stuff. Once our stuff rockets higher, you head for the exit. GL
    12-12-16 07:49 AM
    Ahhh :-) thanks!!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for asking the question, you provide the question, someone steps in and documents the answer and we all win. The system works and it is fast.
    Corbu, fanBBRY, sidhuk and 12 others like this.
    12-12-16 07:50 AM
    12-12-16 08:07 AM
    BlackBerry's new enterprise security platform puts it back in the game - Cantech Letter
    Nick Waddell

For years it has been the symbol of the uncool. The dad-bod of the mobile world. The Nickelback of the smartphone space. But now, it seems, BlackBerry has a direction for the future that could rival its considerable past.

BlackBerry Thursday unveiled a new platform called BlackBerry Secure that is designed to provide security for the Enterprise of Things (if you’re not keeping up, that’s a hip new moniker for businesses in the Internet of Things). It’s a decision that could open up a ton of runway for the Canadian company considering the stratospheric rise in connected devices worldwide, and the presumably escalating reward for hacking those devices.

The move into the EoT space, of course, has been a long time in coming and will integrate aspects of recent BlackBerry acquisitions, including Good Technology, WatchDox, AtHoc and Encription.

BlackBerry boss John Chen says this decision keep BlackBerry firmly in its wheelhouse.

“Businesses must be able to confidentially and reliably transmit sensitive data between endpoints to keep people, information and goods safe,” says Chen. “BlackBerry is uniquely qualified to address this emerging market now because of our deep experience, industry leadership and ongoing product innovation that addresses future business needs.”

So what of its phone business and the legions of “CrackBerry” addicts. Those days are winding down. Sorta.

In September, BlackBerry announced it would stop producing its own phones and instead focus on software and licensing the BlackBerry brand out to other companies to put on to the devices they build. For those who can’t get used to the idea of losing an old friend, Chen has promised one more phone with a physical keyboard.

But the writing is one the wall, if it wasn’t before. The smart phone business has gone in two directions. Apple is the only company of scale that can command a premium for its devices, the rest of the market has been racing to the bottom, grinding the margins down to nearly nothing. It’s not a place Chen wanted to take BlackBerry to die.

So can the “new” BlackBerry survive without hardware? In a word, yes. In 2013, to illustrate just how long this debate has been going on, then Cormark analyst Richard Tse detailed how BlackBerry could immediately get to gross margins of 77 per cent. Back then, the analyst estimated that the company’s hardware-only margins were approximately -25 per cent, causing a $150-million drag on gross marginsin one particular quarter. If these margins simply moved to zero, noted Tse, the company’s overall gross margins would have been 46%. But with absolutely no revenue from hardware whatsoever the margins would have moved 77 per cent. By comparison, Apple’s gross margins have hovered around the 40 per cent mark for years.

The EoT space, meanwhile, is a place where opportunity seems to abound. Computerworld’s Jack Gold says its impact will be considerable.

“EoT will have a profound effect on an organization’s infrastructure, including its network connectivity, VPN, identity access management, security infrastructure and management functions,” says Gold. “Further, it will have a major impact on mission-critical corporate systems like data storage and access, databases, enterprise back-office tools (e.g., ERP, CRM), data analysis and business information systems and corporate governance, to name but a few. The vast amount of data types and content created, amplified by the sheer number of transactions, will make EoT a massive undertaking.”

For the first time in a long time it seems like BlackBerry has the will and energy to tackle a “massive undertaking”, provided the end result isn’t tucked into belt clip holding up a pair of Dockers.
    12-12-16 08:25 AM
    Even more at this time of the year, be very careful out there:
    Merchant sites open door to Visa fraud | Computerworld

Visa has no mechanism to prevent attackers from using multiple merchant sites to make unlimited guesses on the values for fields such as CVV2. The potential for real harm from coordinated attacks is huge, but such attacks could also be blockable, now that the flaw has been identified.
    In an emailed statement, Visa took the standard defense, saying that this was a hypothetical attack method that wouldnt actually succeed. The problem with Visas defense is that, according to the IEEE paper, this wasnt a theoretical attack. The researchers said they tried it and it worked.
    REMEMBER: Visa has new stats showing that nearly three-quarters of U.S. merchants still can't handle chip cards. At times when they should have been starting the EMV process, mobile wallet efforts were making marketing claims that distracted merchants, many of whom were privately hoping for an alternative to EMV. Hence, a deadly combo of wishful thinking and procrastination doomed the EMV process.Although the rate of fraud doesnt change during the hectic holiday shopping season, the shopper tolerance for jumping through anti-fraud hoops is far lower. Personal opinion: Tolerance to pain hasn't reached its critical level yet. At least in cases of Industry maintaining poor security tools either by ignorance or hopes of magic, Security by Obscurity is not what it used to be.
    12-12-16 11:54 AM

Published on Dec 9, 2016

Protect your content everywhere it travels with BlackBerry Workspaces, the world leader in Secure File Synchronization and Sharing.

Recognized as a global leader by Industry Analysts, BlackBerry Workspaces is the only solution that can systematically enforce file-level DRM security for critical business content and applications. Connect people to the files they need to get work done, from anywhere on any platform or any device and know that you will always be in full control of your files, even after they are downloaded by third-parties.
    12-12-16 12:46 PM
    Aware that Seeking Alpha articles can hum, vary widely as to quality level, the 2017 P/E column of certain companies in the attached table caught my attention.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-2016-autonomus-autos.jpg

Autonomous Vehicle Stock Basket For 2017 And Beyond | Seeking Alpha
    12-12-16 02:36 PM
    12-12-16 05:51 PM
    FWIW:
    https://www.benzinga.com/trading-ide...-on-blackberry
    Short Sellers Throwing In The Towel On BlackBerry
    12-12-16 07:01 PM
    12-13-16 07:47 AM
    FWIW:

BlackBerry to move BBM server to Indonesia

http://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2...indonesia.html
    12-13-16 07:50 AM
    From the Related Technologies file, where sales are having various degrees of success:
    2016: The year Apple stumbled | ZDNet

First off, iPhone sales are weakening, and analysts are predicting that things are only going to get worse. Next year's 10th anniversary iPhone might kick off a huge upgrade cycle, but beyond that the consensus among analysts seems to be that the trajectory is headed downwards.

The iPad, which once looked set to join the iPhone as a huge money-maker for Apple, is tanking, and tanking badly.

Then there's Apple's aging hardware line-up. Sure, the iPhone (which is buggy), the MacBook Pro (also buggy), and the Apple Watch have now seen a refresh, but everything else is old and stale and in desperate need of a refresh.

To top it all off, Apple hasn't even managed to get its AirPod wireless earphones out in time for the holidays, allegedly due to an audio sync issue. This is a pretty big fail for a company that was crowing about how awesome the AirPods were only a few weeks ago.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/2016-th...24037827013043
    Meanwhile, low cost handset makers have been quietly munching on the lunch of flagship phone makers, and in China, Oppo and Vivo have streaked ahead while Apple has slumped.
    12-13-16 08:11 AM
    Positive tide is slowly changing:
    10 best smartphones for the 2016 holiday season | ZDNet

"On a whim, I purchased a BlackBerry DTEK60 and think it's the best BlackBerry I've tested in a long time. Enterprise users looking for a high quality, reliable Android device with timely monthly Android security updates and a fairly stock Android device without loads of bloatware, then the BlackBerry DTEK60 is a great choice. Communications efficiency is a priority on the DTEK60 with the BlackBerry Hub serving as a functional, essential part of the software experience. The DTEK BlackBerry app is helpful for keeping the DTEK60 user informed of the security status while a number of other BlackBerry customizations help provide an enhanced security experience."
    Uzi, fanBBRY, sidhuk and 10 others like this.
    12-13-16 08:56 AM
    12-13-16 11:52 AM
    With growing demands for ransoms and increasing wireless access to critical life threatening systems, hoping that reliable security is present at all stages:

Our planes are now 'big flying mobile devices' and top hacking targets | ZDNet

In many cases aviation computer systems are "more vulnerable to attack than other critical systems such as those used in banking and retail" and are yet to catch up to modern cybersecurity standards. Airplanes are now basically "big, flying mobile devices," and as such, just as newly-connected smart cars are not ready to repel cyberattacks, nor is the aviation industry.
    Corbu, fanBBRY, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    12-13-16 12:37 PM
    Watchdox to Workspaces, BlackBerry is offering 5 new ways in secure file sharing. BlackBerry is cementing its place in Mobile security.

http://n4bb.com/watchdox-workspaces-...-file-sharing/
    12-13-16 03:07 PM
    The Three Levels of Enterprise Security Maturity - David Kleidermacher (CSO Blackberry)

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/12/...ource=twitter+
    morganplus8, rarsen and Corbu like this.
    12-13-16 03:35 PM
    12-13-16 07:26 PM
    BlackBerry DTEK60, OnePlus 3T and ZTE Axon 7 Best Android Phones Priced under $500

http://www.nashvillechatterclass.com...ced-500/21724/
    12-14-16 09:02 AM
    Five Minutes WithDavid Kleidermacher, CSO, Blackberry

http://embedded-computing.com/30892-...so-blackberry/
    Corbu, morganplus8, CDM76 and 4 others like this.
    12-14-16 10:04 AM
    BlackBerry Secure launched last week as company aims to be industry leader in security

http://m.waterloochronicle.ca/news-s...er-in-security

.....We had dozens of customers in early trials on the product, and theyve given us outstanding feedback, said Weise. The clients will be able to take advantage of investment protection, and they can easily role from what they have today into this new platform.
    12-14-16 11:13 AM
105,956 ... 40194020402140224023 ...