1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    Not sure this has already been posted:
    Why BlackBerry's bold pivot is the right move
    10-07-16 01:16 PM
    Is TCL, the company producing the DTEK50 and 60, also investing into AC Milan the football team? I saw a few articles about that but no mention of blackberry so not sure.

Would be nice!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-07-16 04:22 PM
    It's Friday, and beer time, and since I work east coast hours, it feels weird opening beer number 4 before 4pm lol. Anyway... I guess I should throw up a chart or two, since it's been quite some time now.

Since BBRY is still trading well within historical ranges, I haven't had to draw any new lines yet. What is nice to see is that it finally made a new higher high for the first time since the January market "dip".

The last time I posted a chart, I mentioned the fear of a head and shoulders pattern that may have completed.... or at least I know I did at some point not too long ago. Well, it "mostly" happened (circled on the daily). The support below the neckline around $7 held it off from completing it all the way and that let it set up to the ER.

Below is the daily, 15, and 3 minute charts to compare and get perspective.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-chart.pngThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bbrychart15.pngThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bbrychart3.png
    rarsen, alludba, masterful and 8 others like this.
    10-07-16 06:11 PM
    It's Friday, and beer time, and since I work east coast hours, it feels weird opening beer number 4 before 4pm lol. Anyway... I guess I should throw up a chart or two, since it's been quite some time now.
    Don't drink and chart.... :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 06:59 PM
    Just a BBM Protected name change? Just got the following in an email from BlackBerry (the crux is quoted below):

BlackBerry is excited to announce the next step in secure messaging and collaboration: BBM Enterprise.

BBM Protected is becoming BBM Enterprise

BBM Protected users in your organization will soon be able to download the new BBM Enterprise app on Android or iOS devices (BlackBerry 10 users will continue using BBM Protected). BBM Enterprise offers all the same security and encryption as BBM Protected. BBM Enterprise users can also keep all their existing BBM contacts, whether theyre coworkers in your organization, or friends and family that are using BBM. And as an administrator, you will maintain all the same controls and management for BBM Enterprise users.

Once BBM Enterprise is available for download, users in your organization must download and switch to BBM Enterprise. Users in your organization that use BlackBerry 10 devices will continue to use BBM Protected at this time. But new enhancements for BBM on BlackBerry 10 are coming soon!

For questions or further support, please visit BlackBerry Enterprise App Support - United States to access self-service tools and resources that will help you make the most of your BBM Enterprise experience.
    Hope they come up with new controls over BBM Protected. I'm finding that I have to exchange passphrases way too much with the same people.
    10-07-16 07:14 PM
    OT from the Security file for some weekend reading,. I remember seeing a photo of Mark Zuckerberg with masking tape on his mic and camera and was wondering why at that time?

This new Mac attack can secretly monitor your webcam, microphone | ZDNet
    When it comes to Mac malware, each Apple laptop has a hard-wired light indicator that tells the user when it's in use. At least you know you're being watched. The "attack" works like this. The malware quietly monitor the system for user-initiated video sessions -- like FaceTime or Skype video calls -- then piggybacks the webcam or microphone to covertly record the session. Because the light is already on, there's no visible indications of this malicious activity, which lets the malware record both the audio and video without risk of detection.
    After all, it's the phone and video calls that hackers and nation states want to hear, not the regular ramblings of a person sitting at their desk throughout the day.
    10-08-16 09:00 AM
    OT from the Security file for some weekend reading,. I remember seeing a photo of Mark Zuckerberg with masking tape on his mic and camera and was wondering why at that time?

This new Mac attack can secretly monitor your webcam, microphone | ZDNet
    When it comes to Mac malware, each Apple laptop has a hard-wired light indicator that tells the user when it's in use. At least you know you're being watched. The "attack" works like this. The malware quietly monitor the system for user-initiated video sessions -- like FaceTime or Skype video calls -- then piggybacks the webcam or microphone to covertly record the session. Because the light is already on, there's no visible indications of this malicious activity, which lets the malware record both the audio and video without risk of detection.
    After all, it's the phone and video calls that hackers and nation states want to hear, not the regular ramblings of a person sitting at their desk throughout the day.
    Well maskign the tape + mic won't help if this malware only functions if you're already using the functions... so not 100% related to his actions which I find understandable as a CEO protecting IP etc. It's good to take as many precautions measures as possible, although I would opt for getting a laptop without a mic or cam, or one that is encypted enough to trust, and will alert me of malware etc. Over just taping them over a normal one.

It might not even have been his, just one he was using at the time

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and rarsen like this.
    10-08-16 09:10 AM
    Thought I would post a quick chart here:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bbry-oct-7-2016.png

We backed up from being over-bought on earnings day; many funds sell into news so we dropped back. According to my chart we could have dropped back to the 200-dma but we reversed when the volume tapered off and regained the 50-dma, a bullish move. This channel points to a new 52 week high this quarter so things are looking up here. All of this depends on the general market holding its gains around here or even firming up. We dropped back a few pennies on Friday on the lightest volume in quite some time. Finally, it won't take much to clear the $ 8.25/shr area this time around as we won't be over-bought while attempting the rally. GL
    Corbu, cjcampbell, rarsen and 11 others like this.
    10-09-16 02:08 PM
    Estimating having strong upside potential:

5 of the Best Stocks Under $10 - NASDAQ.com
    "BlackBerry LTD is engaged in the design, manufacture, and marketing of wireless solutions for the mobile communications market. The company is coming off an impressive earnings run, wherein its EPS beat the Zacks Consensus Estimate by an average of 61.25% in each of the last four quarters. BlackBerry remains a loss-making company right now, but its current-quarter Zacks Consensus Estimate has gained three cents in the past 30 days, and the stock's "A" grade for momentum is indicative of its recent performance."
    10-09-16 03:00 PM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    MOBL: up 15%... reasons?

Update: ..now +26%.... on small revenue bump forecast?.. are u kidding me??!... lol.
    ...pump and dump?
    ... Short covering?...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 10-10-16 at 02:20 PM.
    10-10-16 08:27 AM
    They've raised their Q3 guidance. Didn't know they could do that during their quiet period? And why would you not wait another 2 weeks to announce the (slightly, 1-2 million) better revenue numbers?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and CDM76 like this.
    10-10-16 08:41 AM
    They've raised their Q3 guidance. Didn't know they could do that during their quiet period? And why would you not wait another 2 weeks to announce the (slightly, 1-2 million) better revenue numbers?

Posted via CB10
    Time to short...
    ZayDub and masterful like this.
    10-10-16 08:49 AM
    General optimism slowly moving for BBRY:

BlackBerry: Time For A Turnaround - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) has made an impressive comeback on the market in the past three months, rising close to 20%. For instance, its software and services business revenue for the last reported quarter grew 111% to $156 million from $74 million in the same quarter last year. The company recorded 3,000 enterprise customer wins during the second quarter and the important thing is that approximately 81% of its software and service revenue was recurring (subscription-based). BlackBerry has been reducing its costs despite an increase in revenue in the software and services business. For instance, its costs of goods sold decreased 6% on a year-over-year basis last quarter. In addition, BlackBerry anticipates significant growth in its gross margin going forward. For instance, its gross margin last quarter came in at 62% of revenue, which is up significantly from 40.9% of revenue in the same quarter last year. Also, the shift away from of its hardware business will free up considerable working capital, improving its cash flow going forward.
    10-10-16 09:27 AM
    OT. MOBL

Morgan Stanley

October 10, 2016

James E Faucette

MobileIron

Securing Upside, But Visibility?

Price Target: $2.75

Positively preannounced Q3 results put the company another step closer to year-end cash flow and margin targets. But higher than expected cash burn and lack of visibility into the pipeline remain key questions.

Questions for revenue/billings upside: need better visibility into pipeline. MobileIron preannounced Q3 results on Monday, raising management's revenue / billings guidance to $46.5mm - $47.5mm / $41mm - $42mm from $43mm-45mm / $39mm - $41mm, respectively. In the past, management acknowledged low pipeline visibility, so we seek updates on the billings mix between subscription and perpetual licenses, ASP trends and whether outperformance was driven by new or existing customer activity. Revenue upside is encouraging; but we continue to believe dollar opportunities outside of heavily regulated enterprise environments are limited, and share gains against larger software providers will be difficult.

Despite positive steps towards profitability, cash burn still higher than we had modeled. Monday's press release also indicated Q3 operating expenses would be at the low end of guidance, but that cash and investments are expected to decline roughly $6mm. Cash burn is more than we had previously modeled. Management believes the company is on track to be cash flow positive in the fourth quarter, which is in line with our model, but we would like to see more evidence of profitability and confidence in visibility before becoming more positive on valuation.

Adjusting our model accordingly ahead of call. Our Q3 and FY16 revenue / EPS are now $41.6mm / ($0.08) and $164.7mm / ($0.40), from $40.4mm / ($0.11) and $161.8mm / ($0.44) respectively. Our new estimates reflect management's updated revenue, billings and operating expense guidance. Our forecast now assumes MOBL will achieve (8%) operating margins in Q4, at the high end of guidance, but given lack of visibility, we defer further adjustments in Q4 and beyond until the call.

PT remains at $2.75. 1x EV/'17e revenue is an approximate 50% discount to smallcap software stocks on a revenue growth basis. We view the discount appropriate because peers at similar growth levels are expecting profitability (i.e. CUDA, BV, JIVE) while peers at similar operating losses (<(10%) OM in 2017) are expecting higher revenue growth (i.e. BOX, RPD, WK). We would become more positive on the stock should management demonstrate a clear path to growing profitability despite challenging market dynamics.
    10-10-16 12:44 PM
    OT. MOBL
    Thanks Corbu,

MS is finally telling us something we needed to know, that Chen should be shopping CUDA, BV, JIVE, BOX, RPD and WK before they even look at MOBL. We also know that we can get revenue growth and/or earnings from one of those six. As for MOBL, enjoy the support while you can, that's some cash burn.
    Corbu, Mr BBRY, bbjdog and 8 others like this.
    10-10-16 01:07 PM
    Thanks Corbu,

MS is finally telling us something we needed to know, that Chen should be shopping CUDA, BV, JIVE, BOX, RPD and WK before they even look at MOBL. We also know that we can get revenue growth and/or earnings from one of those six. As for MOBL, enjoy the support while you can, that's some cash burn.
    What are the chances of MS "always" being on the wrong side of the trade? I mean, they are bullish on MOBL for years, then they turn bearish in a pretty spectacular manner, and now this happens?!

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    10-10-16 04:34 PM
    10-10-16 08:31 PM
    Well well....

Apple opens an office in Ottawa and looking for development managers for such areas as operating system kernels, RTOS..

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2...8-65e1b352e694

Experience with development / leadership in one or more of the following areas: operating system kernels, device drivers, firmware, memory systems, real time operating systems

Edit: ios is looking old and flabby.. let's open an office next to Blackberry and work on an RTOS. That BB10 is pretty awesome.
    Uzi, morganplus8, Corbu and 9 others like this.
    10-10-16 08:38 PM
    Individuals, businesses and governments got the world they wanted. They deserve the consequences.

Unfortunately, they took everyone down with them.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76, sidhuk, Corbu and 3 others like this.
    10-10-16 09:40 PM
    Well well....

Apple opens an office in Ottawa and looking for development managers for such areas as operating system kernels, RTOS..

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2...8-65e1b352e694

Experience with development / leadership in one or more of the following areas: operating system kernels, device drivers, firmware, memory systems, real time operating systems

Edit: ios is looking old and flabby.. let's open an office next to Blackberry and work on an RTOS. That BB10 is pretty awesome.
    They located in the building right next to QNX and are clearly poaching staff.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-16 06:38 AM
    What are the chances of MS "always" being on the wrong side of the trade? I mean, they are bullish on MOBL for years, then they turn bearish in a pretty spectacular manner, and now this happens?!

Posted via CB10
    MOBL probably switched investments banks.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-11-16 06:40 AM
    Post Q2 Q&A with BlackBerry Management

So... You remember we asked for your questions to be submitted to BlackBerry management, through a dear friend of this group? Thank you for submitting those questions.

You will find below a transcript of the questions that were asked, plus some additional information. It may be that your specific questions were not asked but I am sure you will understand that it may not have been possible.

If you need further clarifications, fell free to say so and I'll pass the information along.

Cheers,

Call with both BBRY CFO's James and Steve

Why did James leave? He has been active 8.5 years and the last 2.5 have not been easy, they have taken a toll on him. Since the financials have been handled, with refinancing, the time was right.

Why was the debt exchanged early? They did not pay any more than calling the debt in November, which was the same 104 call premium and the last interest payment from June 1st to Nov 13th.

Why not pay it all off? Best time to go get money is when you don't need money, and better leverage the present position to get better terms on the debt. Yes, you still have enough to fund operations and do some small acquisitions, but not enough to do something transformative or opportunistic in case that opportunity presented itself to move the company’s long-term strategy going forward.

Hardware: (see comment about DTECH50 below) with respect to their HW, over the next two quarters will they will wind down remaining inventory and purchase obligations that they had to work through, since they are changing to the new model where the revenue stream will be replaced by royalties buy in providing SW to others including HW development design and engineering.

The revenue will have better profitability even though less (due to much higher margin) so EBIDTA will be better.

DTEK 50 is a bit of old and new (new is their design and their engineering and BB did the SW, where it creeps back into the old is they took on the inventory). They have shortened the lead time (order and get product) so they have lessened the risk but to the extent that he orders something and it does not move in 5 to 6 weeks the risk is still on BB.

DTEK 60 and other products will most likely be all new.

Licensing BB10 would be onerous on the handset manufacture that would take it as there is a processor or key injection from Qualcomm (who they got it from) or someone else who is stand alone. They will have one more SW update to get up to NAIP (National Information Assurance Partnership) certification that top secret and gov't need. So effectively it is dead due to the unique HW attributes it has.

SAF rev and BES - Subscriber base 80% or more on the consumer side; they are the higher ARPU ones that are also more sticky so they want to keep them and migrate to DTEK or Priv, etc. and they are still paying BES maintenance (companies that use BBRY servers)

Success rate of moving them to their EMM/MDM, etc.: since GOOD it has gone up from two perspectives, as BES maintenance renewals was in decline before GOOD. Since the acquisition, they are renewing the support more than they were in the past because if they at least do that they can get to the next generation of product for those seats as long as they are current for support in terms of being a paid customer.

But also the combination of the larger customers not just renewing what they already had for BES and GOOD before, but taking advantage of those cycles to add more seats and likely displacing something else.

So the business case or standardization argument for multiple MDM into theirs, because they can do all the platforms and they are the gold standard seems to be playing itself out in their favor.

Android malware vs. BB10 security: the SW will be yes, but never to same level, as there is no HW component, it is more secure than anything else out there, and since it will be the only alternative they believe most will migrate to it eventually.

Radar: Walmart (Caravan was first in the POC program) is still in testing as are others. Revenue can be substantial but it is a FY18 more than FY 17 story.

GAAP vs. non-GAAP: fair value of debt has to be adjusted to some theoretical accounting value but this does not change liquidity etc., and is doesn't make sense and is not relevant to investor.

Also Purchase accounting Deferred Revenue, makes no sense if somebody renews and has a BES maintenance contract for say $100, the accounting makes them value it at $20, but when they renew it will be at $100 (for more info: Beware of disappearing revenue in an acquisition)

SW growth is on 527M from last year and 30% growth on that. So 680M.

Acquisitions: they have spent 880M on 6 companies in past 2 years, and they need to focus on the engineering side and their focus, any large deal other than a tuck-in would disrupt the engineering side, and also realize the benefit on the business side if too large regarding security.

Regarding a larger deal: if there was a reasonably priced deal on the IoT side that could add to growth story of RADAR or connected cars or even just about volume growth into RADAR, etc. Perhaps another vertical like in healthcare IoT that fits to security and privacy that fits within the strategy of the company and it would not be a 100% stand-alone and if it does not put the road map at risk.

When they acquired GOOD there was a complimentary technology, had they acquired MOBL, their strengths in technology sat on top of legacy BlackBerry and it would not have made sense on the technology platform.

Difference between new and old CFO: the difference is coming back and getting the CFO role as was more operationally in the past several years, and help the team have more revenue growth, because what they are doing is what I did in the past and removing obstacles to get there. Can he be more helpful in running the business, possibly yes, 6 months should see a difference.

Share Price: what will it take and time? Continued performance and delivery of SW news. They just demystified the confusion about HW, it makes no sense why we trade at these levels and we are undervalued, and comment from the new CFO: we have spent so much time on HW and no one is counting on the dedication of that time in the next 3 to 5 months to SW, and what this new focus will bring.
    10-11-16 08:54 AM
    10-11-16 09:45 AM
    Well Blackberries handsets may be dead. And the Z10 was certainly a flop with lots of inventory right down (boy though, I thought it was a good looking phone). But Samsung's Note 7 recall has to be the worst smartphone result ever. This might even be worse than the Amazon Fire Phone. Which is somewhat ironic.
    10-11-16 10:46 AM
    Well Blackberries handsets may be dead. And the Z10 was certainly a flop with lots of inventory right down (boy though, I thought it was a good looking phone). But Samsung's Note 7 recall has to be the worst smartphone result ever. This might even be worse than the Amazon Fire Phone. Which is somewhat ironic.
    Samsung Note 7: The New Fire Phone.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-11-16 10:52 AM
105,499 ... 39963997399839994000 ...