View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    If only Chen would prepare explanations like this BEFORE the earnings calls, we could avoid some of the confusion and misconceptions before they happen.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    sidhuk, rarsen, Corbu and 6 others like this.
    10-03-16 06:22 PM
    If only Chen would prepare explanations like this BEFORE the earnings calls, we could avoid some of the confusion and misconceptions before they happen.

The confusion and misconception is not on Chen. Chen could have done a 15 minute monologue explaining the new direction while juggling Privs and Passports, and the story/headlines would have still been the same. Blackberry is dead, no more phones. Nothing was going change the headline for these hacks covering blackberry.
    CDM76, BanffMoose, Hazo and 2 others like this.
    10-03-16 11:12 PM
    Bittersweet article
    Good to see potential from BBM, but disappointing that BlackBerry couldn't pull this off by themselves. It seems so simple!

I can tell you (*) I had some kind of related information (underlying) the day before the E.R and you shouldn't expect they were better.
    There's still a LOT to do in the communication area; I know it's a tricky task as the situation can change Q after Q but still ...

(*) but can't tell what they were, under NDA.
    Corbu, morganplus8, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    10-04-16 06:35 AM
    The confusion and misconception is not on Chen. Chen could have done a 15 minute monologue explaining the new direction while juggling Privs and Passports, and the story/headlines would have still been the same. Blackberry is dead, no more phones. Nothing was going change the headline for these hacks covering blackberry.
    Do you know for sure what they are doing....

Too be honest, I think that right now not even Chen is 100% sure what is going on with their Hardware division. His biggest problem is SAF and Hardware is still a big portion of the revenue stream... and it hurts that his "healthy and growing" software division is just so small. But he has reached the point where he can't cut enough and still keep hardware going. He is hoping someone else will take over licensing in all his major markets... if no one does, not sure what he will do.

I think he and others will be watching to see how things go in Indonesia. Problem is the use of BlackBerry devcies there is still heavily tied to BIS....
    dalinxz, cgk, BanffMoose and 2 others like this.
    10-04-16 02:44 PM
    Do you know for sure what they are doing....

Too be honest, I think that right now not even Chen is 100% sure what is going on with their Hardware division. His biggest problem is SAF and Hardware is still a big portion of the revenue stream... and it hurts that his "healthy and growing" software division is just so small. But he has reached the point where he can't cut enough and still keep hardware going. He is hoping someone else will take over licensing in all his major markets... if no one does, not sure what he will do.

I think he and others will be watching to see how things go in Indonesia. Problem is the use of BlackBerry devcies there is still heavily tied to BIS....
    If you don't know the direction that BlackBerry is heading towards, then maybe you should not be invested in the company. That's my opinion!

JC has a vision and that's the direction BlackBerry is heading towards.
    10-04-16 04:07 PM
    I can tell you (*) I had some kind of related information (underlying) the day before the E.R and you shouldn't expect they were better.
    There's still a LOT to do in the communication area; I know it's a tricky task as the situation can change Q after Q but still ...

(*) but can't tell what they were, under NDA.
    Superfly, can you restate your post? I've read it a couple of times and I'm still not exactly sure what you were trying to convey.
    10-04-16 04:19 PM
    If you don't know the direction that BlackBerry is heading towards, then maybe you should not be invested in the company. That's my opinion!

JC has a vision and that's the direction BlackBerry is heading towards.
    Down boy down! Gooood bbjdoggy....

Dunt's been around here long enough. He's as un/informed as the rest of us.
    10-04-16 04:26 PM
    Down boy down! Gooood bbjdoggy....

Dunt's been around here long enough. He's as un/informed as the rest of us.
    Just because you asked.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-dog-lying-down-2453270.jpg
    BanffMoose, sidhuk, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    10-04-16 04:47 PM
    Too be honest, I think that right now not even Chen is 100% sure what is going on with their Hardware division. His biggest problem is SAF and Hardware is still a big portion of the revenue stream... and it hurts that his "healthy and growing" software division is just so small.
    Kinda makes you wonder why the world seems to revel in BB's demise in hardware. They have never been the "largest" handset OEM. BB was probably one of the few "pure play" handset OEMs out there. The only thing to wonder is how did BB survive this long? BB has always been a niche player. Samsung, LG, Apple, Google, Sony, Panasonic, Nokia, Microsoft, etc. are all conglomerates with huge businesses outside of handsets. Even then, some of those companies are almost out or already out of handsets.

Next up, is EMM software. MobileIron is a pure play EMM provider. They are going to get crushed as EMM is commoditized further. Already, most of that market is gone when small business no longer required an MDM solution to get email/PIM on their phones. BB can't diversify from pure EMM fast enough. Hopefully they can find another company (outside EMM) to buy soon and expand their portfolio.
    10-04-16 04:48 PM
    Reading Material, reflecting on the general commodities of hardware as sensing changing opinions in the Market:
    Pixel, Galaxy, iPhone, oh my! Why pay a premium when every phone runs the same apps? | ZDNet
    bbjdog, Corbu, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    10-04-16 05:57 PM
    10-04-16 06:08 PM
    And the "source", fwiw:
    With Money, BlackBerry Can Buy Time - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

Therefore, the strategy might call for further pursuit of cybersecurity through software.

There may be several appealing options that are within budget. Consider Allot Communications (NASDAQ:ALLT) as one example, though the following three reasons can apply in varied extents elsewhere:

Allot is profitable, so an acquisition would be accretive to BlackBerry's bottom-line results. Allot is now focusing on security, and has reached a Security as a Service subscriber (SECaaS) base of 15 million, which is up 50% in only six months. Also, eight of its 14 recently announced large deals are with mobile operators. A corporation that is able to acquire Allot would obtain a growing subscriber base and other relationships for cross-selling opportunities with existing licensees: these assets could be well sheltered under BlackBerry's roof.

Further, Allot is in a strong fiscal position with nearly $100 million in cash, short-term deposits, and marketable securities. According to Yahoo, its enterprise value is just under $60 million while its market capitalization is $174 million. With 33,234,000 diluted shares outstanding, and the stock closed at $5.27, an offer at 167% premium would cost $292 million before balance sheet considerations. Because BlackBerry would also obtain $100 million in the process, the cost to shareholders would be that much cheaper.

There is other potential. Allot is investing in its own Research & Development (R&D). While accounting rules forbid capitalization of R&D, software projects that successfully pass feasibility tests - such as a Beta web site - can be capitalized. Software R&D can specifically be capitalized when there is an alternative future use (I, II, III). A target firm's research activities might not need to be immediately expensed.
    Last edited by Corbu; 10-04-16 at 07:24 PM.
    TGIS, rarsen, bbjdog and 4 others like this.
    10-04-16 06:25 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Hope not.. these acquisitions will not move the needle for BlackBerry...sadly...

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 06:27 PM
    OT from the Security file, slowly raising concerns:

Insulin pumps could be hacked warns Johnson & Johnson | Globalnews.ca
    "earned of a security vulnerability in one of its insulin pumps that a hacker could exploit to overdose diabetic patients with insulin, though it describes the risk as low. Dosing a patient with too much insulin could cause hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar, which in extreme cases can be life threatening. The agency last year issued multiple warnings about cyber bugs in infusion pumps from Hospira, which has since been acquired by Pfizer Inc."
    bbjdog, morganplus8, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    10-04-16 07:08 PM
    A little history on the company from Wikipedia .

In September 2002 Allot acquired NetReality, a provider of network application priority switches (NAPS), in order to enhance its quality of service (QoS) and bandwidth management solutions.[11]
    In January 2008 Allot Acquired Esphion, a New Zealandbased developer of network protection solutions for carriers and Internet service providers.[12]
    In May 2012 Allot Acquired Ortiva Wireless, a San Diegobased developer of YouTube video traffic reduction equipment.[13]
    In July 2012 Allot Acquired Oversi Networks, a provider of rich-media caching and content delivery solutions for Internet video and peer-to-peer (P2P) traffic.[14]
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    10-04-16 07:18 PM
    Hope not.. these acquisitions will not move the needle for BlackBerry...sadly...

Posted via CB10
    What makes you say that wt&fceo? Just curious. I'm not sure why they would aquire a company (tbd) if they didn't think it could move the needle. Do you know much about these guys?

http://www.allot.com/company/get-to-know-allot/profile/

(7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic -> PRIV)
    morganplus8 likes this.
    10-04-16 11:28 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd: BBRY Stock Chart Suggests an Easy Double

BBRY Stock: Finally Bottomed?

Something significant happened when*BlackBerry Ltd*announced its earnings on September 28, 2016, and perhaps many investors and the general public dismissed this event because the poor performance has effectively turned everybody away from this name.

I caught this significant event and I am going to share my findings.

I use the price charts of companies as a tool to help me discern trends. This is where my ventures begin, and then a disciplined trading strategy follows. Being on the correct side of a trend is the single-most important factor to a profitable trading strategy, aside from managing risk.

I have reason to believe that BBRY stock is attempting to solidify a *multi-year bottom. If I am correct, the path of least resistance will be toward higher prices as a trend reversal is finally confirmed. *There is a caveat to my findings, as there is still some criteria that need to be met.

The following chart illustrates the price pattern that has just been broken.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bbry-chart-oct-5-1.png

BBRY stock has spent four years bouncing off support at $6.00. In the process, BlackBerry stock has put in a pattern known as a descending triangle. There are two converging trend lines that represent support and resistance that make up this pattern. It is common for these triangles to have five points of contact, and these patterns have a tendency to break out toward a new trend once the triangle is 70% complete.

This triangle pattern is special because, if I am correct in my observations, this pattern will mark the end of a trend. A break higher out of this pattern signals that a trend reversal is in play and that the bear market in BBRY stock may now be behind it.

The first-order price objective on such a pattern would be point 1 on the above chart, where the triangle first began. This constitutes a target price of $18.00 and represents a return of 116%, meaning BlackBerry stock would effectively double from its current levels.

In order to confirm that this move is an actual breakout, BBRY stock needs to close this week above the line that represents resistance,*and not close back below this line next week. If this does not occur, the breakout would be deemed a failure and would carry bearish implications.

The following BlackBerry stock chart illustrates a signal that reinforces the potential for a sustained breakout.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bbry-chart-oct-5-2.png

In September, BBRY stock generated a golden cross. A golden cross is a bullish signal that is produced when a faster 50-day moving average (highlighted in blue) crosses above a slower 200-day moving average (highlighted in red). This indicator confirms that the bulls are in full control of BlackBerry stock, and I always found it wise to never trade against this indicator.

It is not a coincidence that the descending triangle—which lulled most investors to sleep—was finally broken after a bullish golden cross signaled that the bulls are now in full control of BBRY stock.

The following BlackBerry stock chart illustrates the breakout on an hourly basis.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bbry-chart-oct-5-3.png

There are two parallel lines that define this trend. The pattern is known as an ascending channel. An ascending channel has two trend lines that define the upper and lower bounds. The share price oscillates between these two lines for as long as the trend permits. A trend reversal occurs when shares finally gather enough strength to break out from this channel.

The price action within the channel supports the bullish premise, as an impulse wave carries prices higher, and a consolidation wave serves to digest the gains from the surge in price. A new impulse wave will develop when the consolidation wave is complete.

Impulse waves that are separated by consolidation waves in between have commonly produced runs of similar height and duration. Based on this premise, BlackBerry stock will run to at least $8.60 before another consolidation wave can begin.

The Bottom Line on BlackBerry Stock

For the first time in a long time, BBRY stock may have waved the white flag, and the bears have finally thrown in the towel. My bullish bias is centered on the breakout, and that breakout needs to be confirmed by pricing action this week and the following week. This criteria will need to be met in order for me to have full confidence in the pattern break and the implications surrounding it.

BlackBerry Ltd: BBRY Stock Chart Suggests an Easy Double
    10-05-16 05:52 AM
    An interesting perspective: BlackBerry and The Art of War

Why Getting Out of Phone Design by BlackBerry is Classic Sun Tzu

BlackBerry is currently a far smaller and weaker vendor, which means it cant challenge Apple or Google directly and has shifted to the advised Sun Tzu strategy that says that if you are outclassed you elude.

When you elude you hide behind others and attempt to not appear as a threat so that the larger armiesor in this case companiesdont focus on killing you. By moving to a partnering model BlackBerry potentially gains far more potential shelf space, can field a higher variety of phones, and its differentiating technology starts looking like more of an asset to Googlewhich suffers from the reputation of being unsecurethan a competitor.

This keeps Apple focused on Google and Google partners like Samsung and not focused on BlackBerry...

BlackBerry, with this simple move, just effectively eliminated its most powerful competitors and turned a subset of them into partners or potential partners.
    10-05-16 08:06 AM

Yes. Not to mention a much higher margin (lower rev) business model...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 08:17 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

Agree completely. In fact, followed that strategy in my IT career and IT company ... flying under the radar.. then..before you know it... bam! .... love what they (BlackBerry) are doing /trying to do in Indonesia, and want to see an all out focus on more partnering --- licensing deals for their IP, OS, HW --- in those under the radar places... specifically in SE Asia, Africa, India, China... then, based on success... there... over time... they can revisit Europe, and NA...

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    10-05-16 09:23 AM
    Alex Thurber on BBC:
    Blackberry not giving up on smartphones - BBC News

Blackberry says it will continue to be a smartphone brand, despite announcing it would end in-house development of devices.

Alex Thurber, who is in charge of devices at the company, told the BBC that a new handset featuring a physical keyboard would be released within six months.

He said there was demand for such a device, despite falling sales at the firm.
    PS: The BBC still unable to write "BlackBerry" properly...
    Last edited by Corbu; 10-05-16 at 12:10 PM.
    10-05-16 11:23 AM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    What makes you say that wt&fceo? Just curious. I'm not sure why they would aquire a company (tbd) if they didn't think it could move the needle. Do you know much about these guys?

http://www.allot.com/company/get-to-know-allot/profile/

(7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic -> PRIV)
    Most of BlackBerry's acquisitions have done very little (astonishing tribe,, etc) to impact the company in any meaningful or serious way... (exceptions could be Good, Athoc),... most just reward few key people (principal shareholders) who quickly exit once they cash in..and their "non compete" expire...

Moving the needle?

...those that have a Major positive impact on future revenues, customers, profits, penetration into new markets, introduction of game-changing innovative technologies --- which propels the company BlackBerry to grow at a significantly quicker pace, than via organic growth....

Acquisitions like this do nothing, IMO, ...Just waste valuable cash.... and redirect scarce resources to focus on HR and "integration issues"... but they rarely " move the needle", ... and end up as writeoffs a year or two later...

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 11:27 AM
    Most of BlackBerry's acquisitions have done very little (astonishing tribe,, etc) to impact the company in any meaningful or serious way... (exceptions could be Good, Athoc),... most just reward few key people (principal shareholders) who quickly exit once they cash in..and their "non compete" expire...

Moving the needle?

...those that have a Major positive impact on future revenues, customers, profits, penetration into new markets, introduction of game-changing innovative technologies --- which propels the company BlackBerry to grow at a significantly quicker pace, than via organic growth....

Acquisitions like this do nothing, IMO, ...Just waste valuable cash.... and redirect scarce resources to focus on HR and "integration issues"... but they rarely " move the needle", ... and end up as writeoffs a year or two later...

Posted via CB10
    Any examples of companies that would move the needle for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, sidhuk and CDM76 like this.
    10-05-16 11:37 AM
    Superfly, can you restate your post? I've read it a couple of times and I'm still not exactly sure what you were trying to convey.
    What I mean is that sometimes you get the message even before it's formally vocalized but you cannot figure the whole story.
    The kind of "you know what I mean" understatements are generally not very efficient, sometimes dramatic.
    As mentioned, I'm not allowed to state what has been said but it appears my conclusions were probably driven by what I heard only, some were spot on, others ... let's say less.
    rarsen, morganplus8, Corbu and 2 others like this.
    10-05-16 12:13 PM
    Any examples of companies that would move the needle for BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Since we hear again about ol' Tzu (it's been a while ! Made me smile ) let me repeat : make that crazy deal with MSFT.
    rarsen, morganplus8, Corbu and 1 others like this.
    10-05-16 12:16 PM
106,820 ... 39943995399639973998 ...