View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Why? I'm holding long term and will bug you forever!!!!!!!
    09-25-16 05:20 PM
    Bank of Montreal Can Acquires New Stake in BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY)

Bank of Montreal Can acquired a new stake in shares of BlackBerry Ltd. during the second quarter, according to its most recent Form 13F filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The fund acquired 4,884,906 shares of the smartphone producer’s stock, valued at approximately $32,778,000. Bank of Montreal Can owned about 0.93% of BlackBerry as of its most recent SEC filing.

Several other large investors have also added to or reduced their stakes in the stock. Norges Bank acquired a new stake in BlackBerry during the fourth quarter valued at approximately $41,371,000. Commonwealth Equity Services Inc boosted its stake in BlackBerry by 19.5% in the first quarter. Commonwealth Equity Services Inc now owns 42,279 shares of the smartphone producer’s stock valued at $342,000 after buying an additional 6,889 shares during the period. Virginia Retirement System acquired a new stake in BlackBerry during the first quarter valued at approximately $3,298,000. Exane Derivatives acquired a new stake in BlackBerry during the first quarter valued at approximately $221,000. Finally, Ruffer LLP boosted its stake in BlackBerry by 50.0% in the first quarter. Ruffer LLP now owns 150,000 shares of the smartphone producer’s stock valued at $1,216,000 after buying an additional 50,000 shares during the period. 58.07% of the stock is currently owned by institutional investors.

Shares of BlackBerry Ltd. traded up 0.25% during trading on Friday, hitting $7.91. The stock had a trading volume of 2,522,841 shares. BlackBerry Ltd. has a 52-week low of $5.96 and a 52-week high of $9.46. The firm’s 50-day moving average is $7.77 and its 200 day moving average is $7.31. The firm’s market cap is $4.14 billion.

BBRY has been the topic of several recent analyst reports. Zacks Investment Research cut BlackBerry from a “buy” rating to a “hold” rating in a research report on Monday, June 6th. Wells Fargo & Co. reissued a “market perform” rating and issued a $7.62 target price on shares of BlackBerry in a research report on Monday, June 13th. Imperial Capital dropped their target price on BlackBerry from $7.50 to $7.00 and set an “in-line” rating on the stock in a research report on Thursday, June 16th. Credit Suisse Group AG reissued a “sell” rating on shares of BlackBerry in a research report on Friday, June 17th. Finally, Royal Bank Of Canada reissued a “sector perform” rating and issued a $7.00 target price (down from $8.00) on shares of BlackBerry in a research report on Tuesday, June 21st. Three analysts have rated the stock with a sell rating, fifteen have issued a hold rating and four have assigned a buy rating to the stock. The company has an average rating of “Hold” and a consensus price target of $7.58.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-blackberry-sep-26-2.png

Bank of Montreal Can Acquires New Stake in BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY) - BBNS
    09-26-16 12:50 AM
    That story is getting old...
    Will BlackBerry keeping making hardware? Times up for CEO John Chen?s profitability deadline | Financial Post

�Software is the new BlackBerry.�

So screams the headline on BlackBerry Ltd.�s website just days before CEO John Chen hits his self-imposed September deadline to make the mobile company�s foundering hardware division profitable again or get out of the segment.

Investors and diehard BlackBerry fans alike will find out whether Chen managed to meet the goal he first voiced a year ago when the company releases its quarterly results Wednesday. If he fails, it could spell the end of a storied device that once catapulted the Waterloo, Ont. company to the top of the TSX as the most valuable in Canada.

Yet Chen has remained stalwart in his belief there�s a market for BlackBerry devices among security-conscious customers, particularly governments, despite cries from some industry watchers that BlackBerry should hurry up and ditch money-losing hardware to focus on its growing, albeit smaller, software and services business.

The hardware division lost US$21 million in the last quarter ended May 31 on sales of 500,000 phones, a far cry from peak quarterly sales of 13 million in 2012.

Since then, BlackBerry launched the DTEK50, a mid-range Android-powered smartphone billed as the �world�s most secure.� It got decent reviews, but nowhere near the attention the consumer market gave Samsung and Apple�s latest offerings. Details about another higher-end BlackBerry were posted on the company�s website in an apparent leak for a brief period last week � it didn�t feature the QWERTY keyboard loved by so many � but spokespeople kept their lips sealed about another launch date and the specifications were hastily removed.

Chen has said he needed to sell three million phones annually to break even in the hardware division. Yet an accounting tweak to the division now called �mobility solutions� might help it get out of the red no matter how many smartphones were sold in the latest three-month period, which ended Aug. 31.

Last quarter, BlackBerry expanded the division to include revenue from device software licensing alongside smartphones. If this initiative makes enough cash � it made nothing last quarter, but the company was in talks to license tech to a set-top box company � the division could be profitable, regardless of the success of the DTEK50 and older models.

That move is �essentially shifting goal posts,� said Partha Mohanram, CPA Ontario Professor of Financial Accounting at the University of Toronto�s Rotman School of Management.

While changing the composition of a division may be a one-time thing, Mohanram cautioned investors to look for �recurring non-recurring events� and a tendency to report non-GAAP earnings (he refers to this as �earnings before bad stuff�). These tactics put an element of spin on BlackBerry�s financial statements, based on a perfunctory look, but he said it�s a common way to take advantage of flexible accounting rules.

�That�s the way things work in this earnings-management game. Guys are constantly changing the game,� he said.

Meantime, BlackBerry has been touting its success in the software market, announcing deals with the U.S. Senate, U.S. Army and U.S. Department of Defense. It�s on track to grow revenue in this division by 30 per cent annually, and revenue from software surpassed that from hardware for the first time last quarter.

Alan Middleton, marketing professor at York University�s Schulich School of Business, believes the focus on security is still BlackBerry�s best bet for success given the spotlight on cyber crime.

There�s an inevitable commoditization of hardware over time, Middleton said, pointing to Motorola and Nokia as examples of must-have cell phones that have fallen off the radar. So the question for BlackBerry becomes whether it needs its hardware to deliver on its security promise, Middleton said.

�I think they�ll stay in the device business a bit longer to make that transition to this is the premium, secure integration of software and hardware,� he said.
    09-26-16 07:42 AM
    I expect it is a story that will live on for a long time.... as I imagine BlackBerry will be a hardware supplier for a while.

Granted the days of BlackBerry being a hardware designer and manufacturer are over, and the days of them being a "known" hardware company in the consumer market are over. But even if it's only a few million phones a year... revenue wise that blows away what they are bringing in on software.
    ZayDub and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-26-16 08:14 AM
    Global Certification Forum - All Certified Devices -

BBA100-2 - Details
    Manufacturer: BlackBerry Ltd
    Model Name(s): BBA100-2
    Date of Certification: 2016-09-05
    Publication Date: 2016-09-26
    GCF Reference: 5890
    09-26-16 08:15 AM
    Something is brewing...just in time for ER

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    09-26-16 08:25 AM
    HW : we conceive but not produce (read: We're out of it but we aren't)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I am confused about this. Is it like making babies without sex, or having sex but not making babies?
    rarsen and StormieTwo like this.
    09-26-16 09:31 AM
    I am confused about this. Is it like making babies without sex, or having sex but not making babies?
    They've become the man in the dynamic. They can assume the risk, but have less of an impact from the fallout, and since someone else is there to share the risk, it reduces the overall exposure. Also any competitor who tries to put it down, would also be blasting other partners in the supply chain, not typically good.

09-26-16 09:47 AM
    Making babies without sex. Like IVF, BlackBerry goes to the catalog, sees what's out there, picks some good traits, and then places their order.

Isn't having sex but not making babies is generally a guilty pleasure? Don't think handsets do that for BlackBerry anymore.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, Superfly_FR, CDM76 and 2 others like this.
    09-26-16 10:10 AM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Ticket sold out

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    I'll be there...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 10:17 AM

Scheduled for Sep 26, 2016 / 12:40 PM
    Mr. John Chen, Executive Chairman & CEO, BlackBerry Limited
    In Conversation with Amber Kanwar, Anchor & Reporter, BNN

John is a distinguished and proven leader in the technology industry. Prior to joining BlackBerry, he served as Chairman and CEO of Sybase Inc. from 1997 for 15 years, where he developed and led the company’s re-invention from a mature, slower-growth technology company into a $1.5 billion-plus high-growth innovator. Under his direction, Sybase became the leading provider of enterprise mobility and mobile commerce solutions, achieving 55 consecutive quarters of profitability.
    09-26-16 10:17 AM
    I'll be there...

Posted via CB10
    Keep us updated

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-26-16 11:03 AM
    Blackberry flagship BB10 devices are on sale, clearing out at under $400 each. (CDN $)

it reminds me of when, just before playbook went bust, they cleared them out.

I'd figure that this is more of the same... BB10 might have 12-18 months left, max, before they're gone for good.

JMHO...
    09-26-16 11:09 AM
    Does BBRY ever generate anything but negative press?

From the Financial Times...
    https://www.ft.com/content/39d049aa-...c-6e7d9515ad15

BlackBerry phones face thumbs down
    CEO’s self-imposed deadline for handsets’ profitability falls this week

BlackBerry smartphones may still have millions of fans around the world thumbing away on older models, but the battery life of the famous handset has slipped into the red.

John Chen, chief executive, has made no secret of his willingness to abandon the Canadian company’s uphill battle to revive its handset division. Earlier this year, he set a September deadline for its profitability.

With quarterly results being announced on Wednesday, Mr Chen may choose the moment to reveal whether its much-loved hardware will survive, at a company whose website now proclaims: “Software is the new BlackBerry”.

For many, a decision to close the unit would be an inevitable consequence of BlackBerry’s downward spiral since the ill-fated BlackBerry 10 launch in 2013. Then, its creative director, the singer Alicia Keys, unveiled the new handsets on stage, before continuing to tweet from an iPhone in the following days.

The latest industry data make grim reading for Mr Chen as he considers whether to abandon making phones and go all in on software and security technology.

Smartphone sales figures from Gartner, the research company, show BlackBerry had a pitiful market share of 0.1 per cent in the second quarter. That represented shipments of only 400,400 phones — less than a third of what it achieved the year before and a fraction of the 15m it sold in a quarter six years ago when at its peak.

Annette Zimmermann, an analyst with Gartner, said that BlackBerry has sold only 1m phones this year. “That is not a sustainable business,” she said. “I don’t see any upside in trying to return it to a better state. It is the end of the story.”

There is still hope that a much smaller, more focused BlackBerry could succeed as a niche player and companies such as the rejuvenated Nintendo have proved that persistence can pay off. In April, Mr Chen hired Alex Thurber, a former McAfee executive, as his new head of device sales, suggesting he had not given up.

Analysts are mainly sceptical. Ben Wood at CCS Insight said: “The sad reality is that like other phonemakers that have withered, BlackBerry devices volumes lack the scale to be commercially viable. BlackBerry can’t lose money on devices indefinitely just to serve a small subset of its clients who are still addicted to BlackBerry’s home-grown devices.”

Mr Chen has worked hard to salvage BlackBerry’s fortunes after an attempt to sell the business in 2013 failed to find a buyer. He was quick to abandon the company’s flirtation with the consumer market, where a device beloved by the business community was briefly a must-have for teenagers flocking to the BBM messenger product in a pre-WhatsApp age.

Instead, Mr Chen set about returning BlackBerry to its core constituency — the business user — at a time when the bring-your-own-device revolution saw many workers using their own iPhones and Android handsets for work functions. He ushered in a roster of handsets aimed at clawing back market share among office workers, with the gigantic square Passport phone, pitched as ideal for spreadsheets, and the Priv, aimed at the security-conscious. He also revived the famous Bold model as the BlackBerry Classic, appealing to users still sentimental about its old designs.

Mr Chen cut costs in the handset division and established a partnership with contract manufacturer Foxconn in 2013 to outsource production.

That earned praise from the technology community, along with the company’s willingness to experiment with new models and operating systems. “There have certainly been some valiant efforts to try and stay in the game, be that the quirky design of the BlackBerry Passport or the more radical decision to offer Android-powered devices such as the Priv and Detek50,” said Mr Wood.

Yet none have sold well, and in the run-up to this week’s decision, it is notable that the company has kicked off a sale of the models that could have stopped the rot.

Ms Zimmermann argued that Mr Chen could not shut the handset unit two years ago as it accounted for 70 per cent of the company’s revenues at the time. That has now fallen to 36 per cent, with BlackBerry’s software revenues hitting their target.

“It’s probably time to get out of hardware now,” she said, adding that the number of ‘Crackberry’ diehards left has dwindled over time.

“Not a lot of people will be crying over it,” she said.
    09-26-16 11:20 AM
    Key Canada Events: Week of Sept. 26 to 30 - WSJ

On Wednesday, BlackBerry Ltd. is due to report results for the fiscal second quarter ended Aug. 31. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect a loss of 5 cents a share, up from a loss of 17 cents a year earlier, while revenue is expected to fall about 20% to $394 million. Analysts expect software and services to remain a key focus for the quarter, and any comments on the fate of the hardware business to be closely parsed. Chief Executive John Chen said last quarter that his top objective for the year was to ensure the mobile-device business is profitable and expects to reach that milestone by the third quarter of the current fiscal year. Analysts, however, note that Mr. Chen indicated a year ago that the company would exit the hardware business if it wasn’t profitable by September.
    rarsen, morganplus8 and alludba like this.
    09-26-16 11:23 AM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Keep us updated

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    Amber..lol chatted with her briefly afterwards...him also...

My notes:

Two thirds way in achieving his goal
    BlackBerry is a security company
    Patents..monetizing...
    IOT focusing on most secure layer
    By and large it's about execution now...
    Company is safe... financially well maintained
    Security main driver
    Best mobile security solution is BlackBerry
    Business strategy should not be emotional
    Carriers less interested in selling phones
    BlackBerry is working with some carriers on cars technology
    BlackBerry not seller of assets..monetizing.. yes
    Most secure platform for internet
    Not selling any core assets, including BBM.. licensing more yes
    Shareholder needs to get a huge reward..if company were sold

BlackBerry..so many assets... patience needed
    Canadians need to appreciate what they have as a Canadian technology pioneer and innovative Canadian company
    Need to do much better in support and encouragement..Canadians supporting Canadian tech
    (me. Agree 100%.. Canadian left wing uneducated media... my words)

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160926_124743.png

Posted via CB10 using Passport
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 09-26-16 at 01:07 PM.
    09-26-16 11:49 AM
    Good to hear JC mention Gartner's bias...

...and his thoughts on how Canadians feel about BBRY.
    Last edited by Corbu; 09-26-16 at 12:16 PM.
    09-26-16 12:01 PM
    It seemed to me that he has thrown in the towel with regards to hardware. He didn't mention their secure Android phones. Actually, the only thing he has said about hardware is that he no longer expects carriers to get excited over his devices. You don't have to say that, unless you really want to?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 12:45 PM
    Thanks for the report, world traveler and former ceo!
    09-26-16 01:35 PM
    @ Morgan8, JC stated a few times he wanted to pay the full debt, but decided to take the 605,000.00 debt. I believe he (Blackberry) is not done with buying. What do you think Morgan8?
    Corbu, rarsen, CDM76 and 1 others like this.
    09-26-16 01:36 PM
    Short interest update
    As of Sep 15 ---------------- 57.34M
    As of Aug 31 --------------- 57.17M

Essentially unchanged

Also a couple of spread trades for this week, mainly someone who thinks the stock is range bound from 8 to 8.50

Posted on my Priv
    Corbu, morganplus8, W Hoa and 8 others like this.
    09-26-16 03:15 PM
    Haha
    More likely like choosing and adopting a child, weaned already, so that you can have sex at night

morganplus8, CDM76, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    09-26-16 03:19 PM
    @Empire_Club : https://twitter.com/Empire_Club/stat...132016641?s=09

""We want to be the backbone of of communications for the #IoT, the most secure layer." -JC"

I think I called it the IoT BIOS ... when Thorstein Heins announced project Ion ... Maybe we're not dreaming that much, finally

Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-27-16 at 11:11 AM.
    morganplus8, W Hoa, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    09-26-16 03:26 PM
    Blackberry flagship BB10 devices are on sale, clearing out at under $400 each. (CDN $)

it reminds me of when, just before playbook went bust, they cleared them out.

I'd figure that this is more of the same... BB10 might have 12-18 months left, max, before they're gone for good.

JMHO...
    I doubt BB10 will be around that long.... I do think they are clearing them out, next step will be to sell off what little is left of inventory to 3rd parties in a couple of months Think they have already been out of production of a long time. Now that the DTEK50 is out and the DTEK60 is about to be... BlackBerry can go ahead and phase out what is left of BB10, and the sooner they do, the more cost savings that Chen can wring out of hardware.

I'd be surprised if BlackBerry starts their new fiscal year with a BB10 product being sold by them.
    09-26-16 03:29 PM
    It seemed to me that he has thrown in the towel with regards to hardware. He didn't mention their secure Android phones. Actually, the only thing he has said about hardware is that he no longer expects carriers to get excited over his devices. You don't have to say that, unless you really want to?

Posted via CB10
    I believe he was talking in general and he was stating the carriers aren't that interested in selling cell (all) phones . He also said something about a mature market. He said that carriers are more interested in automobile and they are excited about the growth there and so is BlackBerry. I believe HW will be around for a while until all who need, adapt and change, saying that some BlackBerry apps can't be secure in ios or Android.

My personal opinion is that HW should stay and BB10 needs to be upgraded to BB20.
    _dimi_, CDM76, masterful and 5 others like this.
    09-26-16 03:32 PM
113,251 ... 39853986398739883989 ...