View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    If only government didn't work so slow. Last week we finally upgraded to BB10, our BBOS 7 phones got updated to the classic. And of course tons of complaints as everyone wants full touch. But gov doesn't care what we want, just what the price is.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on DTek50
    Sounds like a Canadian government

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-07-16 09:59 PM
    Colin Powell Gave Hillary Clinton Tips on How to Avoid Email Scrutiny - WSJ

Former secretary of state warned of danger in BlackBerry use

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell told Hillary Clinton at the start of her tenure at the State Department that he used a personal computer to conduct government business and took steps to ensure his digital correspondence wasnt going through the State Department servers.

An email exchange released by House Democrats on Wednesday night reveals new details of Mr. Powells candid advice to his successor for avoiding State Department computer systems and the scrutiny they bring due to federal records preservation and disclosure laws.

The emails were cited in a summary of the Federal Bureau of Investigations report, made public last week, into the potential loss or mishandling of classified information by Mrs. Clinton or her aides. The FBI report quoted some, but not all, of Mr. Powells email to Mrs. Clinton, now the Democratic nominee for president.

A representative for Mr. Powell didnt immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday night.

Mrs. Clinton told the FBI that she didnt follow her predecessors guidance, though she too used a private email account for government business. In July, the FBI recommended no charges be brought against Mrs. Clinton in the matter, though Director James Comey criticized her for being extremely careless with the nations secrets.

In an email response to a friendly note Mrs. Clinton sent dated Jan. 23, 2009, Mr. Powell said he used both a personal computer and a device he described as a PDAlikely short for Personal Digital Assistant, the name used for early smartphone-like devices. Mrs. Clinton had sought Mr. Powells advice for how to bring her BlackBerry smartphone along at the State Department, describing herself as an addict.

The newly released emails appear to show Mr. Powell, who served as secretary of state between 2001 and 2005 under President George W. Bush, acknowledging he exchanged work-related emails with foreign leaders and State Department officials using a personal computer or by corresponding with the personal accounts of senior government staffers. The setup enabled Mr. Powells correspondence to bypass the governments computer network, he said.

I didnt have a BlackBerry. What I did do was have a personal computer that was hooked up to a private phone line (sounds ancient.) So I could communicate with a wide range of friends directly without it going through the State Department servers, Mr. Powell wrote to Mrs. Clinton, now the Democratic nominee for president.

I even used it to do business with some foreign leaders and some of the senior folks in the Department on their personal email accounts. I did the same thing on the road in hotels, he said.

House Democrats said that the exchange showed Mrs. Clinton was being held to a double standard on the issues of email, cybersecurity, and her responsibilities under federal law to preserve government documents.

If Republicans were truly concerned with transparency, strengthening FOIA, and preserving federal records, they would be attempting to recover Secretary Powells emails from AOL, but they have taken no steps to do so despite the fact that this periodincluding the run-up to the Iraq Warwas critical to our nations history, Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland, the top Democrat on the House Oversight committee, said in a statement.

Mrs. Clintons use of a private email server has troubled her presidential campaign since it was revealed last year. She has long argued that she followed the precedent of other former secretaries of state, who also used personal email accounts while at the Department. She has repeatedly apologized and described her practice as an error in judgment.

Federal law requires that correspondence related to government business be preserved for possible archiving. Further, many of those records could be eligible for release to the public under the Freedom of Information Acta powerful tool that gives the public access to many government documents and records.

There are no criminal penalties attached to a failure to comply with federal recordkeeping laws, though government agencies are empowered to try to recover lost or mishandled records. In addition, government employees can be disciplined or charged for mishandling information that should be classified.

Mr. Powell appeared aware of the potential for public release, warning Mrs. Clinton about her use of a BlackBerry for government work.

There is a real danger. If it is public that you have a BlackBerry and it it (sic) government and you are using it, government or not, to do business, it may become an official record and subject to the law... Be very careful. I got around it all by not saying much and not using systems that captured the data.

Mr. Powell also told Mrs. Clinton that the Central Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency warned him about the possibility that mobile devices could be hacked by spies. He said he had numerous meetings with Diplomatic Security officials over why he couldnt bring his BlackBerry into secure areas of the State Department.

They never satisfied me and NSA/CIA wouldnt back off. So, we just went about our business and stopped asking. I had an ancient version of a PDA and used it. In general, the suite was so sealed that it is hard to get signals in or out wirelessly, Mr. Powell wrote.
    09-07-16 10:50 PM
    I am so biting my tongue right now. Articles like that infuriate me.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-16 11:58 PM
    Is BlackBerry Stock Set For a Huge Rebound?

Many people are familiar with BlackBerry Ltd and the iconic e-mail devices introduced by the company in the mid-1990s. As you may recall, in the early 2000s, “Palm Pilots,” and the operating system on which they ran, controlled about 70% of the worldwide market for handheld personal digital assistants (PDAs).

That dominance ended when a company called Research in Motion introduced a smartphone called a “BlackBerry.” In the first quarter of 2016, devices that use the BlackBerry operating system accounted for a miniscule 0.2% of the total worldwide market share for smartphones, which has had a definite impact on BBRY stock and its customer base.

Research in Motion changed its name to BlackBerry Ltd in 2013 and today makes seven different models of smartphones. But, with the exception of Kim Kardashian and Hillary Clinton, you’d probably be hard-pressed to find anyone who uses one. But, in my opinion, that doesn’t matter. In fact, I don’t think it would be detrimental to the company or BBRY stock if the BlackBerry went the way of the old Palm Pilot; at least as a consumer gadget.

Hardware has ceased to be an important segment for BlackBerry. Between 2012 and 2015, Blackberry’s hardware sales declined from more than $6.6 billion to just $862 million.

And, as you would expect, BlackBerry stock has taken a similar trajectory. In its last quarterly earnings announcement, BlackBerry didn’t even break out hardware sales as a separate line item.

What Does The Enterprise Customer Mean For BBRY Stock?

But BlackBerry isn’t going to stop making smartphones. *The company is just going to change the channel into which it will continue to sell them. It is obvious that BlackBerry is abandoning its former consumer-focused mass-market strategy for the devices and is instead focusing on enterprise customers. This is what makes BlackBerry stock intriguing right now. BlackBerry has been reinventing itself for little more than a year, and to me it appears as if they’ve turned the ship around and have it pointed in the correct direction. BlackBerry should be poised to win over enterprise customers with a fully integrated, end-to-end security offering with its terminal point being a BlackBerry device.
    Recent acquisitions take BlackBerry Ltd further and further away from being a consumer hardware manufacturer to a becoming a cybersecurity and secure communications software provider. This will enable BlackBerry stock to more rapidly grow revenue in a much higher-margin business. This is becoming more and more evident. On a non-generally accepted accounting practices (GAAP) basis, the company’s gross margins are now pushing through 50%.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-blackberry-chart.jpg

The Bottom Line For BBRY Stock

I would not be surprised to see BlackBerry make more acquisitions. With more than $2.2 billion in cash and short-term investments, Blackberry has a meaningful war chest to cherry-pick other companies that fit its new strategic vision. And, with about 44,000 patents that can be monetized through joint ventures, licensing deals, or outright sales, BlackBerry has a virtual ATM whose real economic value doesn’t appear to me to be fully represented on its balance sheet.

BlackBerry stock could very well be at a pivot point. The transformation of the company appears to be picking up steam. So, it may not be too long before BBRY stock follows suit. The next five years could be very interesting (and possibly profitable) for BlackBerry stock shareholders.

Is BlackBerry Stock Set For a Huge Rebound?
    09-08-16 12:43 AM
    a cybersecurity and secure communications software provider
    oooohhhh; I like that !
    09-08-16 06:05 AM
    09-08-16 06:17 AM
    Form 6-K: 2016-09-08
    Indenture concerning the "3.75% Convertible Unsecured Debentures due November 13, 2020"
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d.../indenture.htm

The trustee is BNY TRUST COMPANY OF CANADA
    09-08-16 06:30 AM
    09-08-16 06:44 AM
    Thanks for the news (fingerprint) but hell ... noooooo !

EDIT : I just read the article. Ok, nothing to worry about (given the source) lol.
    It's obviously for non BlackBerry devices, at least first.

re-edit : these guys make me lol each time I accidentally land there
    If you haven’t done so already please update BlackBerry Password Scanner from Google Play
    09-08-16 07:57 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies file:

In Apple's iPhone 7, Chinese Consumers See Homegrown Features -- Update - NASDAQ.com
    Success is far from assured. In China, Apple has fallen to fifth place in smartphone sales as Chinese makers have upped their game, offering feature-rich devices for lower prices. The pain of an iPhone 7 flop, though, wouldn't be felt only by Apple. It could hurt many in China whose paychecks are tied to the company, starting with workers at the Foxconn Technology Group complex in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou where the iPhone is primarily assembled. The factory employs an estimated 300,000 people--and delivers downstream economic benefits to hundreds of thousands more. Apple is still a thing in China despite having less than 7% of its smartphone market, down from more than 9% a year ago. As in the U.S., social-media users in China quickly came up with memes and quips to bash the new iPhone.
    But there is a bigger threat to Apple than wisecrackers--China's own smartphone makers. Huawei's P9 handset had a dual camera months ago, and LeEco launched in June a phone without a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. "Who would have thought that Apple has fallen to copying Huawei, LeEco and Oppo?" wrote one Weibo user. Many of China's consumers are happy with these good-enough Chinese phones. Li Chanqing, a 30-year-old teacher in Nanjing, has a Huawei P9--similar in features to iPhones at a price almost one-third less. For many people here, the iPhone costs more than they make in a month. At that price, buyers want to make sure their new model can't be mistaken for an old one. "Chinese consumers like to have smartphones that give them face," "They want a phone that clearly looks like the newest version."
    09-08-16 08:15 AM
    Form 6-K: 2016-09-08
    Indenture concerning the "3.75% Convertible Unsecured Debentures due November 13, 2020"
    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d.../indenture.htm

The trustee is BNY TRUST COMPANY OF CANADA
    I thought I read somewhere it was rbc capital markets

09-08-16 09:04 AM
    OT from the Related Technologies file:

In Apple's iPhone 7, Chinese Consumers See Homegrown Features -- Update - NASDAQ.com
    Success is far from assured. In China, Apple has fallen to fifth place in smartphone sales as Chinese makers have upped their game, offering feature-rich devices for lower prices. The pain of an iPhone 7 flop, though, wouldn't be felt only by Apple. It could hurt many in China whose paychecks are tied to the company, starting with workers at the Foxconn Technology Group complex in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou where the iPhone is primarily assembled. The factory employs an estimated 300,000 people--and delivers downstream economic benefits to hundreds of thousands more. Apple is still a thing in China despite having less than 7% of its smartphone market, down from more than 9% a year ago. As in the U.S., social-media users in China quickly came up with memes and quips to bash the new iPhone.
    But there is a bigger threat to Apple than wisecrackers--China's own smartphone makers. Huawei's P9 handset had a dual camera months ago, and LeEco launched in June a phone without a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack. "Who would have thought that Apple has fallen to copying Huawei, LeEco and Oppo?" wrote one Weibo user. Many of China's consumers are happy with these good-enough Chinese phones. Li Chanqing, a 30-year-old teacher in Nanjing, has a Huawei P9--similar in features to iPhones at a price almost one-third less. For many people here, the iPhone costs more than they make in a month. At that price, buyers want to make sure their new model can't be mistaken for an old one. "Chinese consumers like to have smartphones that give them face," "They want a phone that clearly looks like the newest version."
    Someone in the family, who has been iphone user for years and was waiting for this September release to replace iphone 5s just said that, he is holding on. May be try android. He uses his earbuds a lot. I was shocked to hear that. Not sure if he is going to stick with android or not. Plus he said that he is not gonna spend that much money. Not a great example of upcoming trend but will have to see if these decisions effect apple sales. I still think that apple will make more money in wireless headsets and the headset/charging adapters. More reasons to spend money. In the past it has worked for them. Will see. May be blackberry/android will get a tiny bump in sales from iphone deserters. LoL

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    09-08-16 09:23 AM
    I thought I read somewhere it was rbc capital markets
    My understanding is this:

RBC Capital Markets did act for BlackBerry with regards to the private placement.
    BlackBerry Announces Completion of Debt Restructuring

BNY Trust Company of Canada will simply be the indenture trustee.
    Indenture Definition | Investopedia
    09-08-16 09:28 AM
    Hi Folks, any comments on the golden cross day?

Posted from my trusted Passport
    masterful likes this.
    09-08-16 10:10 AM
    Thanks Corbu..
    OT: aapl

Apple confident iPhone 7 will sell out, won't release first-weekend figures

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3207638...45#/email_link

09-08-16 10:59 AM
    A different perspective...
    Apple Inc?s smartphone business model is Blackberry Ltd?s opportunity | Financial Post

"With the elimination of an audio out port, and forcing consumers to buy Bluetooth earphones, Apples persistent policy of ring-fencing its customers and forcing them into Apple upgrades is a chink in the armour of the worlds largest smartphone manufacturer. Other aspects of Apples predatory model include its refusal to support mobile devices older than five years, which theoretically is supposed to drive consumers to continuously upgrade their devices.
    There have been a growing number of reports among users on Apples incrementally larger software memory and storage requirements, to the point where earlier versions of the flagship iPhone simply cant run newer versions of the software, alongside the users stored music, videos and photos. The solution, according to Mac Store reps? Upgrade to a newer device. Lets hope Blackberry can seize the opportunity provided by Apples myopia, and we can have our button keyboards and our large touch screens on a Canadian product in perpetuity."
    09-08-16 12:07 PM
    09-08-16 12:37 PM
    Thanks for the news (fingerprint) but hell ... noooooo !

EDIT : I just read the article. Ok, nothing to worry about (given the source) lol.
    It's obviously for non BlackBerry devices, at least first.

re-edit : these guys make me lol each time I accidentally land there
    The next BlackBerry android due out is the Argon which is slated to have a fingerprint scanner. Please share why you find this so humorous.
    09-08-16 03:19 PM
    Because fingerprint scanner removes security. Simple.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-08-16 05:46 PM
    Sounds like a Canadian government

No offense, but all the Canadian governments I'm aware of switched to bb /bes10 before most of the private sector. And I'm talking about all the biggest ones. What's happening is that BlackBerry (the company) is finally ending bb7 support so those old Bolds now have to be upgraded.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen, bbjdog and sidhuk like this.
    09-08-16 05:50 PM
    Thank you for the laugh, Faucette thinks it is valued at $ 7.00/shr on an acquisition basis which is total nonsense. How do you justify $ 3.00/shr today let alone $ 7.00/shr on a buyout when sales are stuck at $ sub 160 MM and cash is heading South? I hope Chen is going to shut them out of the market and not consider buying them unless it is with similar terms as the Good deal at 50 cents on the dollar. What an embarrassment this is for Faucette.

Again, thanks for pointing this out to the board.
    Chen will do this and Faucette deserves it. I want to see a deal where MOBL shareholders sue the BOD like they are doing with Good. Maybe one day they'll actually realize that the target they're after is employed by Morgan Stanley (deep pockets, clearly conflicted by investment banking activities).

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 06:08 PM
    Some OT here,

Thought I would update the board on my trades having stayed home to shift some holdings. I have just sold out of ECA and purchased a large portion of todays volume in SPHS. The stock is under pressure right now so it didn't take much effort to buy those shares. I'll forget about it for a few weeks and let the market find support. I do think that the general market looks like it wants to rally hard in the coming days and weeks taking all investments higher.

Today AAPL is inventing the cell phone again so we are backing up for that news. BlackBerry had one if its lightest volume days yesterday, ..... for this year. Let's get AAPL's invention out of the way and see how we close across the board. I hope someone is around to give their opinion on our competitions new product offering. GL
    OT

I also cleared all the rest of my ECA today but haven't bought back my one-third SPHS position that I sold earlier...waiting and watching...will go bigger if price gets lower. I also cleared almost half of my AMD position before they announced the latest issue. Increasing my short ratio lately...mainly SDS, NVDA, NFLX looking at more, including AAPL. Short ratio still only around 15-20%...want to take it closer to 30% soon. On the long side, looking for beaten up pharma and health care names that are victims of the US politics and attack dogs...CXRX for example, to add to my VRX (which is well in the green now)...gotta have balls, but 'slowballs' if you know what I mean...emotions are your enemy. I often average down a total of 5-10 x my original position if the price is right. Or use leverage to do the same, if that way is cheap. Have lots of boring long positions too for income, dividends, etc. In tax advantaged accounts. I like using margin in my main (unregistered) trading account because I can deduct the negative income (interest costs) against my regular taxable salary. Do whatever you do according to your own situation.

FWIW, I have a VERY large position in BBRY relative to my overall portfolio, but haven't traded anything in a long long time. But despite the recent SP gains, I'm closer to buying than selling...need another q or 2 unfortunately to have better resolution.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-16 06:52 PM

Tim Allen
    Actor, "Home Improvement," Comedian
    Got to test the new Blackberry DTEK50. Very light and streamlined. Quality feel, responsive & quick. With BlackBerry software installed it makes security and fluid organization on top of the Android experience. BlackBerry virtual keyboard is very good. I still prefer my Priv with its dual keyboard but have to admit I am going to miss this DTEK50 when it’s gone.
    WhoSay - #CelebsUnfiltered, Social Celebrities, Entertainment News, Photos, Videos, and Exclusives
    09-08-16 07:26 PM
    Chen will do this and Faucette deserves it. I want to see a deal where MOBL shareholders sue the BOD like they are doing with Good. Maybe one day they'll actually realize that the target they're after is employed by Morgan Stanley (deep pockets, clearly conflicted by investment banking activities).
    Well said!
    09-08-16 07:27 PM
    The next BlackBerry android due out is the Argon which is slated to have a fingerprint scanner. Please share why you find this so humorous.
    Please don't tell me you walk around at night bumping into trees and still ask such a question!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm blinded by the light, yet I seek the light!
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-08-16 07:51 PM
105,335 ... 39773978397939803981 ...