View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.77%
  • No

411 37.23%
    OT from GE in IoT, where security will become important -- hint, maybe a favorite company (BB) can provide valuable expertise to GE in this critically secure required environment.

GE Partners with Microsoft to Bring Predix to Azure
    http://www.power-eng.com/articles/20...96&bid=1465036
    Last edited by rarsen; 07-15-16 at 08:45 AM.
    Corbu, morganplus8, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    07-15-16 08:00 AM
    OT with some general information from Warren Buffet in this slower summer season, summing up his investing philosophy this way:

"The key to investing is not assessing how much an industry is going to affect society, or how much it will grow, but rather determining the competitive advantage of any given company and, above all, the durability of that advantage. The products or services that have wide, sustainable moats around them are the ones that deliver rewards to investors."
    Helps to somewhat understand John Chen in his efforts to position BB where it will distinguish its strengths, versus trying to be all things to all people.

Why Warren Buffett Won't Invest in Self-Driving Cars - NASDAQ.com
    Jahcure, sidhuk, ZayDub and 3 others like this.
    07-15-16 09:27 AM
    some news on a BBRY competitor
    Silent Circle raises $50M, led by Santander, to expand its privacy-focused communications platform | VentureBeat | Business | by Paul Sawers

Encrypted communications company Silent Circle has raised $50 million in a series C round led by Santander Bank.

Founded out of Geneva, Switzerland, in 2012, Silent Circle produces a suite of privacy-focused software and services for enterprises. This includes the Silent Phone app that can be installed on devices to provide secure calls, messaging, and file-sharing, while the Silent Manager admin console gives company head honchos control of users, groups, plans, and devices across the organization.

Back in 2014, Silent Circle partnered with hardware maker Geeksphone to make its first mobile phone, the $600 Blackphone. A year later, Silent Circle bought Geeksphone out to gain full control over the brand, and later that year launched the follow-up Blackphone 2, an $800 device that proclaims to be “private by design.”............................
    07-16-16 02:51 PM
    OT: MOBL
    Barclays Downgrades MobileIron (MOBL) to Underweight

Barclays downgraded MobileIron (NASDAQ: MOBL) from Overweight to Underweight with a price target of $3.00 (from $6.00).

For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on MobileIron click here. For more ratings news on MobileIron click here.

Shares of MobileIron closed at $3.30 yesterday.
    07-16-16 07:04 PM
    That's a crazy downgrade!

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    07-16-16 08:31 PM
    That's a crazy downgrade!

Yeah, that is quite the downgrade.
    As much as I am frustrated that we aren't at the hundred dollar party yet with BlackBerry, I do feel good that things are progressing, albeit slowly, and the best part of my BlackBerry stocks and this forum, are all the great people who post things on here and help me learn along the way.

Posted via CB10
    kadakn01, Corbu, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    07-16-16 09:08 PM
    run into this...legit?

Posted with a BlackBerry Priv.
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-85379.jpg  
    07-17-16 12:57 PM
    Old Classic Dev Alpha?

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 02:11 PM
    Abandoned by Blackberry Ltd: What about those of us who don?t care about cool? | Financial Post

Blackberry Ltd. recently reported another gut-wrenching quarter, but light at the end of the tunnel comes with an apparent willingness to let the iconic handset be a casualty, if company financials are any indication.

In the new tradition of “binge watching” television series, I have just finished five seasons of HBO’s “Veep” starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who is poised to win a record 5th Emmy in a row. If devices were going to be nominated for awards in visual arts, Blackberry would certainly have its own records to celebrate.

For the last eight years or so, any dramatic video production depicting a person in a position of authority or power or influence was invariably cast alongside the Blackberry, formerly the world’s most serious communications tool.

While a rising economic patriotism in the U.S. is clearly part of the cause, Blackberry’s own apparent apathy when it comes to its handset business is equally to blame, if not more so.

After continuing re-tooling, Blackberry has seen its handset market share dwindle to the point where even the White House has put restrictions on the device’s popularity, as embarrassment over the primacy of a Canadian product perennially overshadows the U.S. Hometown Favorite, Apple.

That Blackberry has taken this market dominance and allowed it to wither year after year is the most visible defect in the ever-evolving management team’s inability to project a consistent identity, never mind product suite.

John Chen, the CEO who has made significant progress in turning the lumbering Blackberry ship around by focusing on Enterprise software and services, has done so at the expense of the handset business, which experienced another dismal quarter most recently.

According to the company’s Q1 2017 Management Discussion and Analysis reported June 23, “In the first quarter of fiscal 2017, the company recognized revenues of $400 million and incurred a net loss of $670 million, or $1.28 basic and diluted loss per share. The loss was primarily due to “non-cash charges of $501 million associated with long lived asset impairment charge, the goodwill impairment charge of $57 million.

As part of its ongoing reorganization, Blackberry now reports its revenue segmented as to Software and Services, Mobility Solutions, which includes the handset business, and Services Access Fees (SAF). As of Blackberry 10, only customers requiring enhance encryption capabilities continue to pay SAF, so this segment is predictably in a state of terminal decline.

But Mobility Services, where BlackBerry handset sales are reported, is the glaring and tragic disappointment yet again in Q1 2017. “Mobility Solutions revenue, which includes revenue from the sale of BlackBerry handheld devices, related accessories and non-warranty repairs, was $152 million, or 35.8% of revenue, in the first quarter of fiscal 2017 compared to $269 million, or 40.9% of revenue, in the first quarter of fiscal 2016, representing a decrease of $117 million, or 43.5%.

The company has been executing a strategy to leverage its strengths in mobility management and security to refocus its business in the enterprise solutions and services space, while maintaining a presence in the highly competitive smartphone and mobility solutions market.

So the company appears to be on a path toward profitability, which long suffering shareholders will certainly applaud.

But is the sacrifice of its powerful brand, routinely the choice of serious Davos types, including presidents and financial titans, justified? Or is the reorientation of its core business to Software and Services a lost opportunity to match hardware and software geared toward ultimate security, the one per cent?

Blackberry reports a user base of 20 million handset users as of the last quarter, and said it sold 600,000 devices. Doesn’t that suggest that, while the cutthroat competitiveness of low-end, lower margin handset is indeed unattractive, the opportunity inherent in an installed base of the world’s richest and most influential people is one that should not be neglected?

Personally, for all the frustration involved in remaining enamored of Canada’s technology poster child, I, like many of Blackberry’s fans, can’t imagine giving up my tactile keyboard, that facilitates one-handed texting with infinitely more accuracy over the virtual keyboards.

And also in common with the 20 million faithful, I’m hugely disappointed at the company’s failure to recognize and pursue the value of such an iconic brand.

Apple obviously is in a sweet spot, enjoying the association of “cool” and “cutting edge” that its hardware admittedly deserves. But what about those who don’t care if they’re not cool, by their children’s standards, or interested in continuously upgrading apps and gadgets that are best categorized as sophisticated toys?

James West is an investor and the author of the Midas Letter, an investing research report focused on Canadian markets. The views expressed are his own and are presented for general informational purposes only. They should not be construed as advice to invest in any securities mentioned.
    07-18-16 09:54 AM
    07-18-16 10:31 AM
    Don't like that article from FP!

morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    07-18-16 11:23 AM
    Morgan+8. Thanks for SPHS and BBRY. Does that chart look solid or still manipulated? LoL

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    Corbu, rytwjyx, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    07-18-16 02:41 PM
    07-18-16 05:38 PM
    Morgan+8. Thanks for SPHS and BBRY. Does that chart look solid or still manipulated? LoL

Which chart?

07-18-16 06:29 PM

This is the earliest stage of a bullish rally, I'm not sure why we are conditioned to sell something before it really gets going. The chart looks fantastic, sure, RSI is over-bought but this is a micro-cap stock and they can continue to run this thing much higher from here. Since the late 2014 period, the company has produced all of the data hoped for against a time when the CEO looked like he was crazy to spend $ 30 MM on their study. The CEO is vindicated now, the stock is priced at the lowest level for a company hoping to fine a break through in cancer, why would anyone sell it now? The biggest positive today is the moderate volume on this run, it is costing Funds very little cash to take this one higher. I wouldn't stand in the way of this rally. We are pennies away from a 12-month closing high, the stock is under-valued, Pharma needs to acquire anything with promising results and a cure for Prostrate Cancer is huge news. They had 2 ablations in just 18 patients, fantastic news.

Maxim Weighs In on Sophiris Bio Inc (SPHS) Following Positive Phase IIa Results In Prostate Cancer - Smarter Analyst

"Sophiris Bio Inc (NASDAQ:SPHS) shareholders celebrate over 110% gain in the stock this morning, after the drug maker announced positive results from its Phase IIa open-label, singlecenter POC study of topsalysin, an enzymatically-activated ablative agent, in localized prostate cancer.

In reaction, Maxim analyst Jason Kolbert reiterated a Buy rating on shares of Sophiris, with a price target of $4.00, which implies an upside of 60% from current levels.

Kolbert wrote, “Topsalysin demonstrated successful POC data in this onetime treatment with no side effects. A 50% response rate represents a significant signal. We see topsalysin as a new paradigm in the physician PC armamentarium.”

The analyst continued, “How could the data be even better? By 1) optimizing the dosing; and 2) optimizing the delivery, in our opinion. The trial mandated a fixed dose vs. a variable one based on tumor size. To optimize the delivery, an infusion pump could be used to “bathe” the target tumor and ensure drug exposure (vs. a slow, physician-held injection). A slower, more systematic protocol should reduce variability and increase exposure. And the impact of both improved dosing and delivery should drive a higher response rate, in our view.”

I think you would be crazy to sell this stock at an arbitrary price of $ 3.00/shr .... it makes absolutely no sense. A close above $ 3.21/shr tomorrow and you have the makings of a major breakout in the stock and it takes so little money to buy all of the stock we can put out there at today's price levels. I think many investors are about to lose their stock for good at these levels.

I would also remind investors that BlackBerry is dirt cheap below $ 7.00/shr look for it to finally close above $ 6.80/shr and start its next leg up from here. I would also look at PSDV, incredible news there and no one even watching it. The general market is at record highs, a good time to invest as Funds need to get into everything now.

Best of luck!
    07-18-16 08:16 PM
    Thank you Morgan and thank you everyone for all the great advise and tips. I don't comment on here very often but I pretty much read every word from you more experienced investors.

I was so stuck to my computer unsure about holding/selling my SPHS today but feel much better about holding strong now. (I didn't get much else done today...lol)

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    07-18-16 09:21 PM
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/blackb...150021542.html
    BlackBerry signs U.S. government deals in software push

July 19 (Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd said it had signed a five-year, multi-million dollar deal to run emergency notifications for the U.S. Senate, among a handful of small deals the company has signed as the company shifts its focus to software from smartphones.

The Canadian company also said on Tuesday that AtHoc, a crisis communications firm it bought last year, had expanded a deal with the U.S. Coast Guard to cover staff in Washington, D.C. BlackBerry did not provide financial details of the deals.
    07-19-16 11:27 AM
    BlackBerry (BBRY) Software Selected for U.S. Senate Crisis Communications

BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY)(TSX: BB), a global leader in secure mobile communications, today announced that the U.S. Senate Sergeant at Arms Office (Sergeant at Arms) has awarded a multi-million dollar order for the BlackBerry AtHoc crisis communications software to power the Sergeant at Arms' Joint Emergency Mass Notification Systems (JEMNS) over five years. With full spectrum enterprise level alerting and accountability, JEMNS powered by AtHoc provides secure notification and communications in times of crisis for as many as 50,000 individuals working and visiting the US Capitol Complex.

This announcement marks the second large engagement between BlackBerry's AtHoc and Leidos, which also partnered to provide the US Army their global mass notification under the Emergency Management Modernization Program. Full implementation of the JEMNS based on the AtHoc solution will be achieved over the coming months, with Leidos providing direct support and help desk support to the Congressional community.

"It's critical for the nation's political epicenter to be prepared with a unified communications system to swiftly and securely communicate in the event of an emergency," says John Chen, Executive Chairman and CEO of BlackBerry. "As the leading provider of crisis communication software to the U.S. Departments of Defense and Homeland Security, AtHoc has demonstrated the ability to enable highly secure information-exchange for the world's most demanding organizations. The U.S. Senate is joining more than three million US federal government personnel today in using BlackBerry's AtHoc software for their crisis communications capability."
    07-19-16 11:30 AM
    07-19-16 11:34 AM
    Thanks Corbu. Great news.

Corbu, theRock1975, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    07-19-16 11:38 AM
    Thoughts on 2016 Blackberry Security Summit
    By Rob Enderle

I’m at the BlackBerry Security Summit this week, listening to the unusual keynote by BlackBerry Executive Chairman and CEO John Chen. Chen, like me, is an extemporaneous speaker. That tends to be a bit more fun than the more common scripted talk, but it can roll off the rails at times and you have to feel for the PR folks who are likely sweating bullets as a result.

Here are some key takeaways from the Summit.

Revenue

BlackBerry is now seeing positive operating revenue and is showing 131 percent revenue growth in software and services. Their legacy revenue from handsets is still larger, it is in decline. However, the positive operating revenue indicates Blackberry has nearly reached equilibrium and the risk of failure has become remote.

Security

Security and privacy are at the heart of the new BlackBerry. Cyber attacks are currently costing enterprises $400 billion a year. A report from KPMG indicated that nearly 90 percent of CEOs don’t feel prepared in regard to security. Over half of the HR departments have warned that employees are not properly trained to resist a cyber attack, making them the biggest source of breaches. Only 41 percent of firms are insured for security breaches, meaning most firms are self-insuring but likely not properly stating the related cost/risk on financials. Seventy-seven percent of IT organizations have reported that they are deploying projects they believe are not secure. Eighty percent of firms in Europe have reported breaches.

BlackBerry

Chen is, of course, positioning BlackBerry as the solution. (I’d add to that being properly insured and making sure your employees are being regularly trained). Security is their thing and they remain the only company at scale that lies above the major mobile platforms and secures both data and voice transmissions.

Samsung, Microsoft and BlackBerry

The two big backers of the Blackberry Security Summit are Samsung and Microsoft. This is interesting because, at one time, these two firms were likely BlackBerry’s biggest and most powerful competitors. This shows how much the industry has changed in the last decade and how fluid some of these competitive structures continue to be.

New York And Rudy Giuliani

Chen talked about why BlackBerry is doing the summit in New York. One reason is because when 911 happened, the only major communication service that remained running and able to coordinate efforts was BlackBerry’s.

Rudy Giuliani was the guest speaker and he apparently is a BlackBerry fan. He spoke to the critical need for security. His consulting firm focuses on security for the likes of Nuclear power plants, hospitals, and major corporations, and he has been working with John Chen and BlackBerry for some time.

Giuliani closed his talk by stating his personal mission to help secure the nation against threats foreign and domestic, and asserted that we are nowhere near secure enough. Afterwards, he got a question about how to ensure the nation’s cyber security at least in regard to a national event. He pushed forward the idea of mutual assured destruction and the fact that it won’t work now because the attacks are likely to come from largely independent government-funded entities that don’t seem to be concerned with reprisals.

IoT Security Demonstration (We’re Screwed)

OK, this was scary. Presenters took over a connected coffee maker on an enterprise-class secure network. They did this by bringing up a rogue access point and sending a Wi-Fi disconnect command repeatedly to the coffee pot. Once it was disconnected, they reconnected to the more powerful rogue hot spot where they were able to get the network password and ID from the coffee pot. In about 14 minutes, they were in the secure network and pulling data. And afterwards, all they had to do was power cycle the coffee pot to destroy any record of how they got in.

They then showcased how a BlackBerry solution, assuming it was used properly, would prevent this breach. (I’m thinking it would also prevent folks from getting connected coffee pots). But this once again reinforces the idea that networks simply aren’t secure, particularly now that IoT devices are on them. By the way, this also suggests that IoT devices should likely have their own network, separate and secure from the corporate data network.

Wrapping Up

The IoT demonstration really bothered me the most, largely because it would likely work with many traditionally connected devices, like printers, and not just new IoT devices. I remember a security audit from a few years ago where the hard drives on printers weren’t encrypted. Those drives were commonly discarded without destroying them and it represented a massive potential security breach. While I know we focus a lot on how our firms are vulnerable to phishing attacks against employees, we don’t think enough about how vulnerable companies are because of the massive number of connected devices they plug into their networks.

Knowing that mutual assured destruction doesn’t work with cyber attacks, think about the number of Nuclear Power plants that use connected printers and you have a powerful reason to sign up for that Mars Mission.

Whether you use BlackBerry or not, making sure you aren’t compromised by a connected device should now be a priority.
    07-19-16 01:18 PM
    So typical...
    BlackBerry inks security software deals, shares slip

NEW YORK/TORONTO (Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd (NYSE: BB) sought to bolster its security credentials with a string of small deals on Tuesday but analysts said the jury was still out on the success of its turnaround and push into software.

The smartphone pioneer, which abdicated the top spot in handsets to Apple and Android-based devices, said it had signed a five-year, multimillion-dollar deal to run emergency notifications for the U.S. Senate and expanded a deal with the U.S. Coast Guard to cover staff in Washington, D.C.

BlackBerry did not disclose further financial details.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based company also said the U.S. Department of Defense, one of its largest customers, gave fresh technical approvals to both its mobile management system and phone software, giving it an advantage as a preferred vendor.

But the updates failed to impress investors, who pushed BlackBerry shares (NASDAQ: BBRY) down 2.1 percent to $6.59 in early afternoon Nasdaq trade, and 1.2 percent lower at C$8.61 in Toronto.

"If you are going to be a security company, you have to be known for that neutrality in the market," said Nick McQuire, vice president for enterprise research at CCS Insight.

"From my conversations with many of its customers, there's still a tremendous amount of confusion out there around BlackBerry because of the handset business," he said.

BlackBerry CEO John Chen, who earlier this year set a September deadline for handsets to turn a profit, said more software deals are on the way.

"A lot of the things that we laid down the groundwork for a year, year and half ago is all paying off now," Chen added.

BlackBerry's adjusted revenue from software overtook diminished handset sales last quarter.

Some critics want more.

"We're going to have to see a lot of these types of deals from them going forward to really get the sense that they are moving in the right direction," said Phil Hochmuth, program director for enterprise mobility at International Data Corp.

BlackBerry also announced a partnership allowing corporate coders to translate apps for use with BlackBerry systems, and a deal for its QNX software to be used in electric locomotives being developed in Turkey.

No one said it would be easy...
    kadakn01, rarsen, bbjdog and 1 others like this.
    07-19-16 02:38 PM
    Thanks Corbu for all the richness of your listings !
    I was just reading this Secure Mobility Solutions from BlackBerry receive new U.S. Department of Defense approval | CrackBerry.com
    And the only thing I have to comment is two sided :

1/ @BlackBerry : congrats, you rock !
    2/ @Investors : so you want BlackBerry to ditch HW and BB10 uh ?

Have a great evening guys !
    It's Tuesday, it's Rock'n'Roll 4 me
    Corbu, rarsen, OlympusMons and 4 others like this.
    07-19-16 02:52 PM
    BlackBerry chief: We don't have to make phones to make phones ? The Register

BlackBerry CEO John Chen said his company has an internal project to bring Android security up to the level of its BlackBerry 10 platform, which should bear fruit after the release of Android N.

He also hinted at a future based around brand and technology licensing.

"We have a tremendous amount of technology. We can stay in the handset business by not making every handset," he told journalists at a Q&A during the company's annual Security Summit in New York today.

"Maybe even the name," he mused, elaborating on what BlackBerry could license. "I could stay in the handset business where I provide a strong secure entry point, and I'm providing my customers continuity and a soft landing. When I said we're not going to produce Classic any more, everyone made it sound like we're getting out of the hardware business. It's not true. Or not yet anyway."

In the most recent company reorganization, Chen reminded his audience, he'd eschewed the name "devices."

"When I segmented out the device business, I didn't call it a device business," he said. "It's a mobile solutions business. So whether it's crypto or antenna, we are willing to license it. There will be a component in mobile that becomes revenue. As long as hardware makes money I don't care whether it's 30 per cent, or 40 per cent, or 50 per cent of our business. Making money with our handset business is our Number 1 priority."

At times Chen did sound like he was leading the world's most reluctant phone company.

"The real reason [for selling phones] ... is customers," he said. "We still have a lot of BlackBerry customers. We have government agencies around the world, especially in the USA and Canada. You can't just walk away from those customers saying 'I don't want to make them anymore,' because these are the same people I have to go back and try and sell software to."

As to the security project, Chen was coy.

"I'm not going to tell you the codename because you'll keep asking me about it," he said. "It will coincide with N. We expect N to be a step up from M, and we need to add our code to it." Expect release in a time frame some "six to eight months out," he added.

Clipped
    Chen managed a sideswipe both at Apple ("the other fruit company") and at lawmakers who demand a back door in secure products.

"They have an attitude that it doesn't matter how much somebody harms society, they're not going to help," the CEO said. "Like anybody, Apple should have a basic civic responsibility ... to help out. The guidelines we've adopted require legal assets, a subpoena for certain data. Encryption tech has now gotten to the point where nobody has the ability to get the content.

"It's more an attitudinal thing: my neighbor is in danger."

But he warned law enforcement policy makers that mandatory backdoors really weren't a good idea. "There's proposed legislation in the US and I'm sure it will come to the EU, that every vendor needs to provide some form of a back door. That is not going to fly at all. It just isn't," he said.

Chen suggested the Clipper Chip was a lesson from history that today's policymakers should heed.
    randall2580, rarsen, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    07-19-16 02:56 PM
104,879 ... 39493950395139523953 ...