View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Anyone care to give an opinion on the After-Hours spike in late afternoon on IBB Biotech Index and its effects on other stocks ?
    Mostly VRX related...Walgreen expressed confidence in their agreement.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, cjcampbell and rarsen like this.
    07-06-16 07:59 PM
    Was the Classic a "pinnacle model"? I thought it was a bone tossed to BBOS users who refused to adopt the Q10 because of the lack of the toolbelt, or maybe it was an apology to Q10 users for the tiny & cramped display. Even if it caught on, I thought it was a one shot deal.

The reality is that BlackBerry can't release a Classic w/ Android because all Android apps are programmed for the 16:9 aspect ratio. A 1:1 aspect ratio phone will still have ZERO apps available to it, despite running "the Google." BB10 is pretty much dead, so we can't blame BlackBerry for not announcing a BB10-based Classic II.

So, as I see it, BlackBerry's only transgression here is not formally announcing the first of the two new phones before letting news of the Classic's demise go out.
    Yo Moose!

Yeah, perhaps 'pinnacle' was not the best choice for a one-word description.
    Let's replace it with BlackBerry 'hail-Mary pass #3', just to confuse the newbies.

Seriously, I would have expected BlackBerry to just repackage the Classic with perhaps a better camera, and maybe an extra Gb of RAM. If they really wanted to get slick, they would toss in in some accessories on a permanent basis (to reflect the 9900 days). Even if the margin dropped a tad, they could at least maintain that form factor user base.
    Any-whoo, what do I know about the phone biz(?)
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-06-16 09:33 PM
    Food for thought?

OT: Samsung
    Samsung Gets Ahead in Handsets by Not Phoning It In - WSJ

Samsung’s preliminary earnings suggest it has struck gold with models that stand out

SEOUL—The conventional wisdom is that smartphones have become commodities: ubiquitous, interchangeable slabs of metal and glass whose falling prices spell disaster for companies that have come to rely on selling them at high prices.

With its preliminary second-quarter earnings numbers, Samsung Electronics Co. is showing that, even if that is the case, there is still plenty of money to be made selling handsets that can stand out from the pack.

On Thursday, Samsung said it likely earned 8.1 trillion Korean won ($7.00 billion) in the three months that ended in June, a 17% increase from a year earlier and the biggest quarterly operating profit the technology giant has recorded since early 2014, during the glory days for smartphone makers.

The results are in contrast to those of longtime rival Apple Inc., which in April reported its first quarterly revenue decline in 13 years, raising questions about the sustainability of smartphones as a profit engine at a time when Chinese handsets can offer many of the same specifications, often at a fraction of the price.

For Samsung, the second-quarter earnings surprise highlights the Suwon, South Korea-based company’s ability to bounce back after a pair of underwhelming flagship smartphone releases the last two years.

While Samsung won’t break out the details of its second-quarter earnings until the end of the month, analysts have attributed the strong operating profit to the success of the Galaxy S7, which the South Korean technology giant introduced in early March to favorable reviews.

Unlike its two predecessors, the flagship Galaxy S7 combined a sleek curved-edged look that sets it apart from the iPhone, with practical features that consumers have long clamored for, including water resistance and expandable memory. Those features are missing from the latest iPhone. And Apple’s next iPhone, expected to be released in the fall, will likely offer only subtle improvements on existing models, further underscoring the challenge of standing out in an increasingly crowded field of look-alike smartphones.

Analysts estimate that Samsung shipped as many as 17 million Galaxy S7 smartphones in the second quarter, after moving about 10 million units in the last three weeks of the first quarter.

That puts the Galaxy S7 on a sales pace that is nearly twice as fast as that of last year’s Galaxy S6, which analysts estimate took Samsung about six months to hit 27 million unit shipments. The rollout of the Galaxy S6, a product that received upbeat reviews, was marred by supply constraints that hampered Samsung’s ability to profit off a potential hit product.

All of this makes the Galaxy S7 a rare blockbuster at a time when global smartphone sales growth is expected to slow to about 7% this year, about half last year’s growth rate, according to a report last month by research firm Gartner.

Even as growth in the overall smartphone market slows and consumers replace their smartphones less often, Samsung’s success shows that there is still money to be made by creating a product that still stands out, says Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy.

Mr. Moorhead said smartphones, though they are becoming more similar, aren't yet commodities.

The question will be whether Samsung can continue to differentiate its smartphones from those of its rivals.

Samsung’s distinctive curved screen displays are likely to become a lot more common in the industry, as Samsung’s components business gains traction selling organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, display panels, to outside customers like Apple and other Android handset makers.

While that would boost profits in Samsung’s components division, it could hurt Samsung’s mobile business by depriving the Galaxy S series of a key selling point.

If Samsung can continue persuading consumers that its smartphones are worth paying up for, it appears well-placed to fulfill its promise to investors of sustaining mobile profit margins in the low double-digit percentages, as executives have promised investors.

In the third quarter of 2014, Samsung’s mobile profit margin tumbled to 7.1%, from 18% the quarter before. Since then, the company has struggled to push it back to its peak levels, though in the first quarter of 2016 the mobile division reported an operating profit margin of 14%, the highest in about two years, thanks to strong sales and cost cutting.

That number could rise higher once final second-quarter results are reported later this month, analysts estimate, though the company didn’t disclose profit estimates by division.

Samsung said its second-quarter revenue likely rose 3% to about 50 trillion won from 48.5 trillion won a year earlier.

Samsung shares tacked on 2% on Thursday after the earnings release, bringing its year-to-date advance to 15% and putting the stock within striking distance of a fresh three-year high. Apple shares, in comparison, have fallen 11% this year.
    07-07-16 06:52 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Shows many consumers and businesses willing to move away from Iphone... they are the only alternative.

Would like to see CEO Chen strike licensing deals with them on any and all BlackBerry software and security....

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and awindsr like this.
    07-07-16 07:35 AM
    And this...
    When Blackberry Was Cool - MoneyBeat - WSJ

President Barack Obama used to love his Blackberry. Times have changed.

It’s the end of not just one era but two and highlights how quickly technology evolves these days. Shortly before his inauguration, President Barack Obama joked about keeping his beloved Blackberry. “They’re going to pry it out of my hands.”

He got his wish, but now that he is just four months away from being a lame duck, the iconic Blackberry with a keyboard is on the way out, too, according to the company.

“Lame” is the word most people would use to describe the devices these days. But, back when Mr. Obama took office, they were cutting-edge and held over half of the U.S. smartphone market.

Mr. Obama finally bowed to fashion and ditched his Blackberry recently for a “hardened” Samsung. He complained last month to Jimmy Fallon that, due to security precautions, “it doesn’t take pictures, you can’t text, the phone doesn’t work, you can’t play your music on it.” Sounds like his old device.​
    And to think that BlackBerry makes great innovative devices, like the Passport...
    07-07-16 07:50 AM
    Not much exciting/good news coming from Blackberry lately. It gives off a hopeless feeling. Chen better make money on the handset business by the next earnings call like he promised.
    07-07-16 08:30 AM
    Chen better make money on the handset business by the next earnings call like he promised.
    This statement is made after every earning call for the past 2 years and yet there has been zero progress. There has actually been backwards progress.

Chen needs to make a decision and act on it and stop with the "oh just wait, it'll be better next quarter I promise!".
    cgk likes this.
    07-07-16 10:53 AM
    07-07-16 11:01 AM
    Doing my best to find anything remotely "positive"...

Alex Thurber
    Leaving DC after great @BlackBerry customer meetings. Best part of my job, especially getting such positive feedback on our roadmap.
    07-07-16 01:24 PM
    And this is relevant today how?

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Cut 33 Percent Of Jobs In 6 Months In 2013-14

By Aman Jain on July 7, 2016 8:34 am in Technology

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    07-07-16 01:30 PM

Published on Jul 7, 2016
    Video ad to compliment the marketing campaign for the launch of the pop-up store opening in Manhattan’s Brookfield Place. This video ad showcases the virtual unboxing of PRIV™ by BlackBerry. PRIV combines everything you’ve come to expect from BlackBerry with all the apps and great experiences of Android. It features a slide-out keyboard, Schneider-Kreuznach certified camera and the best integrated messaging
    07-07-16 01:58 PM
    John Chen should announce that they are officially profitable on phones today!
    CDM76 likes this.
    07-07-16 02:12 PM
    Hi Gang,

JC has been saying September for a few quarters now. I was intrigued by the write downs this ER. It seemed like they were allowed but not necessary and kept HW in the red.

I wonder if Chen has cut production cost to 'nil' already as a design house. He could be paying future costs of HW distribution in order to make a larger splash next quarter. Remember, The MM and Wall St need to see more than "break-even" in HW before they change their tune on BB.

IF (yes, a very big one), one of the DroidBerry models has some reasonable sales numbers he might be able to generate some Buzz around BlackBerry.

BB10 4 ME
    ZayDub, CDM76, Superfly_FR and 2 others like this.
    07-07-16 04:28 PM
    So..they finally come out with a TV-ad for the Priv, and it's not bad at all too! I don't wanna talk timing, but that ad let me think that the new rumored phones will hardly-if at all-see the light of the day before September! Is JC trying to reach breakeaven (hw wise) with the Priv on its own? It doesn't seem reasonable.. So my guess is hw-division is here to stay, at least for another 8-10 months.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 05:22 PM
    [info]For anyone joining the conversation, the BBRY Caf can and will wander off topic but keep it within reason. Forum rules and guidelines still apply here. [/info]
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-07-16 06:43 PM
    ... Strange that nobody has uttered a word yet about coffee in this BBRY Cafe.
    Hey Dusdal. Where you at bro? Lol.

Well, you could hear a pin drop while we await for the BlackBerry SP to fight back with all of what they are up against.

I suppose one plus is that even though they bullocks'd up the Classic direction, at least I feel somewhat confident that they are finally getting a grip on a device road map(?) The reason I say this is because regardless of what we think, it does appear that BlackBerry is starting to find North with devices that that apparently are being requested. Until we see numbers post September, we can only speculate.

PS - where are all the regular locals? Did I miss something while on hiatus?
    dusdal, ZayDub and 3MIKE like this.
    07-07-16 07:47 PM
    BlackBerry stock is down 30 percent year to date. ...pretty much at historic all time low.. no need to explain any other way... long shareholders are very upset right now...
    up to CEO Chen to address this totally unacceptable situation.
    If he can't... put company up for sale.

Posted via CB10
    Re:
    It's nowhere an explanation of BBRY performance. It's how currency rates can offset - lucky me - or amplify loss (and gains) and I believe it worth ringing the bell for those - like me - who may not have considered this at first when investing on foreign markets/currencies.

More :
    I'm a long shareholder with a small position and I believe we all knew this was pretty much a gamble and a very controversial bet since day 0, there's 3900+ pages of this thread filled with evidences.
    I'm not happy, however I take it with current $BBRY valuation but the above always stood as my #1 prerequisite, anytime I had to add to my position (ended when I hit 1K shares) or decide wether or not it was time to sell (I could have made over 150%+ gains, due to SP and currency rates, and kept a symbolic position, but I didn't).
    I've set my own rules, including a time frame (5 years) before I may reconsider it. The Brexit is generating a lot of noise and we cannot blame BBRY for that; I'll have to put it into the mix later, specifically after September E.R since it'll match my 5 years decision (October will be the exact month).

Again, as stated in OP, I'm in the 99% and when I started, stocks were to me what a knife is to a chicken.
    I've only engaged what I could afford to lose 100%, in a "set it and forget it" plan. I can tell you I've been through times where I badly needed this money BUT it was considered as "gone" in my records, so I never hit the sell button. It's not stubborn acting, it's "sticking to the plan" and - if you ask me, but who am I to tell - I still believe there's something that could happen, in the favorable direction.

This statement is made after every earning call for the past 2 years and yet there has been zero progress. There has actually been backwards progress.

Chen needs to make a decision and act on it and stop with the "oh just wait, it'll be better next quarter I promise!".
    Same statement and same date too : end of fiscal 2016.
    Zero progress ? Are you sure ? You may want to revise history from the $1B BB10 inventory write-down to current near-to-break-even situation, maybe ?

I know times are tough and one can legitimately express nervousness, but guys ... do not throw the baby out with the bath water, eh ?

Have a great day gang !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-08-16 at 04:31 AM.
    07-08-16 03:35 AM
    Hey Super

I am Canadian and bought BlackBerry in canada funs back when dollar was par with usd, or close to it

I too have a gain due to exchange rates, but I have thought about this, and whether I bought in usd or can, I think I would be the same as far as profits or losses, due to the fact that the BlackBerry stock trades in USD and then the Canadian stock reflects the current exchange rate.

Ie, if I bought 1000 shares in USD and 1000 in Can$ at the same time, at the end of the day, if I sold both, I would be about even, since I would take that usd bank roll and convert that to Canadian dollars at the time of sale.

I would really only lose if I held the usd in a usd account and then later converted at a loss if all of a sudden the Canadian dollar spiked

Ps. Anyone else excited for figuring out why SPHS spiked last night?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 06:34 AM
    Not that I give Zacks that much credit but....any port in a storm.

Why BlackBerry (BBRY) Stock Might be a Great Pick

One stock that might be an intriguing choice for investors right now is BlackBerry Limited BBRY. This is because this security in the Wireless Solutions space is seeing solid earnings estimate revision activity, and is in great company from a Zacks Industry Rank perspective........

........BlackBerry is actually looking pretty good on its own too. The firm has seen solid earnings estimate revision activity over the past month, suggesting analysts are becoming a bit more bullish on the firm’s prospects in both the short and long term.
    https://beta.finance.yahoo.com/news/...123612226.html
    morganplus8, rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    07-08-16 08:43 AM
    Hi farmwersteve,

Haven't posted anything in the while here as life an work have taken priority in the last few months.

I've only be able to make returns trading our favourite stock here. At one time holding a large block but now only holding 1,000 shares since the beginning of the year when oil collapsed forcing the whole market into rebalancing mode.

BBRY is stuck in sort of a company/market perception purgatory IMHO. Can't ditch HW right now without the masses thinking that we're throwing in the towel because our core perceived identity IS a phone manufacturing company. Many here have eluded to the fact that we'd easily be profitable as as pure software player but I think it's really premature to do that at this point. The pressure is on the create a winning phone design immediately.

As for SPHS...it is sitting pretty with lots of people speculating on the yahoo boards and stocktwits about a possible buyout soon. . Think it's just funds aND institutions accumulating since prior to month end in June. I'm sure Morgan has a much clearer explanation. Either way, it's a fun and for sure and they're going to ride their impressive P3 and P2A results to much higher levels.

Today also marks the start of our 104th annual Calgary Stampede & Exhibition with a 3 hour parade through downtown. Inviting all of you for some warm western hospitality...

Attachment 403629Attachment 403630Attachment 403631Attachment 403632Attachment 403633
    OlympusMon

Thanks for the reply.
    I couldn't agree more with you on BlackBerry.

But for some reason, I am especially wondering why there is no talk of a BlackBerry buyout. They seem to be prime for the picking, they have shown they are turning into a software house and QNX has amazing potential

I understand investors and analysts don't necessarily Agree, but some other big companies out there tend to be a little more intelligent I would think/hope

As far as SPHS, yes, lots of speculation on buyout, and that is exciting, but so are their clinical trials results.

I want to put a big thanks out to Morgan, he pointed me onto SPHS and I am in the green, and only have myself to blame if I don't turn a profit on it now.... my greed usually gets the better of me!

Have a great summer weekend everyone, it's cherry season, and I grow the best in Ontario!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 09:08 AM
    OlympusMon

Have a great summer weekend everyone, it's cherry season, and I grow the best in Ontario!

Posted via CB10
    Nice! Do you grow Ranier cherries too? In Alberta, we only know the BC cherry farms and they are a fantastic summer treat! Wouldn't mind munching on a big bowl of fresh ones while watching the big parade this morning
    07-08-16 09:16 AM
    Of note is Sabrients take on BBRY. Sabrient Systems is an independent equity research firm and has a buy rating on BBRY

Sabrient Analysis
    Despite its low growth score, BBRY is rated a Buy because Sabrient's stock selection
    filters found that the stock possesses a combination of attributes being rewarded in
    today's market.
    Momentum: A score of 65.8 reflects the average performance of BBRY with regard
    to the Sabrient Momentum Score. The score is a combination of price, earnings,
    and group momentum.
    Value: A Sabrient Value Score of 61.5 indicates fair valuation for BBRY at its
    current price and earnings trends.
    Growth: With regard to growth characteristics, BBRY ranks near the bottom of the
    market with a Sabrient Growth Score of 23.7.
    Timeliness: BBRY has a Sabrient Timeliness Score of 23.8. This measures
    technical strength based on short-term and long-term price performance and
    long-term group strength.
    Research note in pdf: http://clients.freerealtime.com/dl/f...ItepbehzJOUwC3
    07-08-16 09:44 AM
    Is Your Enterprise Mobility Strategy Good?
    Billy Ho, EVP Enterprise Products & Value Added Solutions, BlackBerry
    07-08-16 09:50 AM
    Hey Super

I am Canadian and bought BlackBerry in canada funs back when dollar was par with usd, or close to it

I too have a gain due to exchange rates, but I have thought about this, and whether I bought in usd or can, I think I would be the same as far as profits or losses, due to the fact that the BlackBerry stock trades in USD and then the Canadian stock reflects the current exchange rate.

Ie, if I bought 1000 shares in USD and 1000 in Can$ at the same time, at the end of the day, if I sold both, I would be about even, since I would take that usd bank roll and convert that to Canadian dollars at the time of sale.

I would really only lose if I held the usd in a usd account and then later converted at a loss if all of a sudden the Canadian dollar spiked

Ps. Anyone else excited for figuring out why SPHS spiked last night?

Posted via CB10
    I believe the swing between US$ and CAN$ is pretty limited. I'm not sure but I believe there's a sort of parity here.
    Including change fees, I've seen a +/- 30% change in my average acquisition price during the last years due to € V.S $ (US or CAN, mine is CAN).
    morganplus8 likes this.
    07-08-16 09:56 AM
    I believe the swing between US$ and CAN$ is pretty limited. I'm not sure but I believe there's a sort of parity here.
    Including change fees, I've seen a +/- 30% change in my average acquisition price during the last years due to € V.S $ (US or CAN, mine is CAN).
    I'll post a chart to show you how much the CAD dollar has moved against the US dollar over the past 4 years, or since YOU started this thread!:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-cad-us-dollar-2012-present.png

As you can see, the CAD was on par with the US when BBRY hit $ 18.00/shr/US just prior to the launch of the Z10. This means that the stock in US terms was the same as the stock in CAD terms. Both of them were roughly $ 18.00 at the same time. Today, you would only need $ 14.00/shr/US to achieve $ 18.00/shr/CAD so Canadians have benefited from the weaker CAD. At one point, the CAD was 10% higher than the US and that hurt those who bought CAD stock, it has since dropped as low as 46% below the US which is a remarkable loss for the CAD. We have bounced back somewhat, down only 30% from par and the chart shows an Inverse Head and Shoulders pattern which points to a much higher CAD dollar in the future. Remember, a strong CAD is bad for Canadian shareholders and so the trick is to see the US BBRY climb higher than the value of its CAD currency in order to make this investment worthwhile.

I haven't looked at the Euro to be honest with you so I can't comment on that one. For me, I would like to see oil/nat gas stay here for the next year while BBRY recovers.

On a side note, great post earlier this morning on your take regarding the BBRY investment as it pertains to you. I buy BBRY for the 5-year plan that Chen is focused on, I don't care if the Classic is taken off the market as it represents a tiny part of revenues last quarter. If there is $ 20 MM in terms of impact, it will be superseded by $ 20 MM in sales from those who want one before there aren't any left! I for one will buy a Classic for the heck of it. Just my personal thoughts on the subject. Take care.
    Corbu, kadakn01, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    07-08-16 11:22 AM
106,786 ... 39453946394739483949 ...