Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    05-18-16 11:28 AM
    FWIW: Hamburg specs?
    If BB pulls off its usual security magic, and prices this thing at no more than $400 unlocked, it may finally have a real winner on its hands.
    All-touch BlackBerry Hamburg reveals mid-range specs in pre-release benchmark | Pocketnow
    morganplus8, rarsen, Corbu and 4 others like this.
    05-18-16 12:32 PM
    Hopefully we will see some rally soon before ER

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    Here is a chart of the DOW Jones showing a possible Head & Shoulders Pattern. This pattern is why hedge funds and Carl Icahn and the like are shorting the general market looking for 600 - 800 pts down on the DOW.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-dj-h-s-pattern.png

Armed with this information, listen to Don Vialoux talk about the market. He is a top TA analyst and a guy who worked at the same brokerage I worked at years ago. He knows his stuff.

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=865933

I'm not convinced that we are going much lower here but we are now below the 50-dma so it is possible. Good luck.
    05-18-16 01:11 PM
    From the INSIDE BlackBerry BUSINESS BLOG (IBBBB):
    BES in the Cloud: 5 Ways BlackBerry?s Partnership With Microsoft Enables Secure, Cloud-Based Productivity | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog
    Last edited by Corbu; 05-18-16 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added source...
    05-18-16 01:45 PM
    BBM testimonial, some love, inside BlackBerry.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/05/...ocial-network/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 05-19-16 at 12:43 PM. Reason: ;)
    Corbu, 3MIKE and rarsen like this.
    05-18-16 02:48 PM
    [warn]Posts containing links without text are against the R&G, if there's something accompanying links they can stay.[/warn]
    05-18-16 03:10 PM
    How's that for being original?
    Veteran BlackBerry Analyst Says Company Needs to Ditch Handsets - Bloomberg

I sure hope JC is able to prove those analysts wrong...
    Mr BBRY, bbjdog, _dimi_ and 7 others like this.
    05-18-16 03:44 PM
    Papageorgiou has been a die-hard bull so I'm sure there can be found some optimism in that report. Any idea where we can find it?

Posted via CB10
    Corbu and rarsen like this.
    05-18-16 04:01 PM

I truly love this sentence, like BlackBerry would pickup the phone and tell them something. LMAO

"BlackBerry didnt immediately respond to a request for comment."

Let's go JC, time to prove people wrong!

Last edited by bbjdog; 05-18-16 at 08:47 PM.
    Corbu, rarsen, La Emperor and 3 others like this.
    05-18-16 04:03 PM
    Papageorgiou has been a die-hard bull so I'm sure there can be found some optimism in that report. Any idea where we can find it?
    I'll see if I can track it down. If so, I'll post.

Meanwhile, a bit more info here:
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - BlackBerry Just Has 'Too Many Headwinds'; Macquarie Starts Coverage At Underperform | Benzinga

Macquarie has initiated coverage on BlackBerry Ltd. at Underperform, with a target price of $6.90, saying the company has "too many headwinds."

Macquarie is concerned over BlackBerry's high margin service business "going to zero" and the viability of handset business and messenger platform. Although the software and services business remain strong, it may not able to offset the existing headwinds.

Analyst Gus Papageorgiou noted that the company's high margin service business (36 percent of revenue) is going to zero over the next 2–3 years. "Last year the company's service access fees, which we estimate have gross margins in the 80 percent range, made up 36 percent of revenue. This revenue stream is going to zero over the next 2–3 years, and we do not expect the software business to grow rapidly enough to compensate," Papageorgiou elaborated.

In addition, the analyst highlighted that the company continues to lose ground in handsets (39 percent of revenue) with the future existence of BB10 in doubt.

"Although the company continues to lower its costs in this area, given its lack of scale and (thus far) inability to carve out a successful niche within the Android ecosystem, we remain skeptical over the viability of the handset business," the analyst explained.

Furthermore, Papageorgiou noted that BlackBerry Messenger, also known as BBM, is lagging behind competition, and the company's reluctance to integrate bot technology into the platform "raises questions over the viability of this line of business in the future."

It's Not All Negative

On the positive side, the analyst expects the software and services business to remain strong in fiscal 2017, with a growth rate of more than 30 percent. The company also expects 70 percent of the pure software revenue stream or $429 million to be recurring.

The analyst expects 2017 EPS of $(0.37) and 2018 EPS of $(0.39), and the near-term catalyst for the stock is the reporting of first quarter results on June 24.

"The ongoing decline of the service business and unsure future for handsets provide strong headwinds for the stock. Eventually we believe the software and services business will emerge as a growth & profit engine, but that is likely several quarters away. We would avoid the shares in the mid-term," Papageorgiou noted.
    rarsen, bbjdog, W Hoa and 5 others like this.
    05-18-16 04:22 PM
    I can't take any analyst seriously when they bring up the SAF argument at this point! JC proved them wrong with software and now he will focus on hardware. Two for two sounds good.

Last edited by bbjdog; 05-18-16 at 08:21 PM.
    morganplus8, rarsen, 3MIKE and 6 others like this.
    05-18-16 04:49 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar

Can't argue with the analyst.... Well... that's it isn't it? ... time to show results..thereby proving the Shorts and skeptics wrong.... shareholders have been waiting a long time... if anyone can do it CEO Chen can..at some point...more than ever now... results are all that matter...his (Chen) own words.. he has until September.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 05-18-16 at 07:02 PM.
    3MIKE and croman like this.
    05-18-16 06:42 PM

He could prove them wrong. Or he could just listen to reason and let the software business thrive without the albatross? Good outcome for $BBRY either way, I think.
    05-18-16 09:40 PM
    Interesting comments from a very respectable Canadian:
    BlackBerry?s future ?very promising,? says Governor General David Johnston - BNN News

BlackBerry Ltd. has now “stabilized” and the future of the Waterloo, Ont.-based company is “very promising,” the Governor General of Canada David Johnston told BNN in an interview.

The comments come as BlackBerry continues to try to revive its shrinking handset business – a challenge which has become increasingly difficult as the overall smartphone market slows.

Even Apple Inc., a long-dominant smartphone giant, reported its first-ever decline in iPhone sales last month.

As former president of the University of Waterloo, Johnston once worked down the street from BlackBerry’s offices.

Johnston added that the result of BlackBerry’s woes haven’t left a void in Waterloo’s tech and startup community, and that the region isn’t dependent on the fortunes of just one or two companies anymore.

“BlackBerry has now stabilized, the future is very promising,” Johnston said.

“There are many other small- and medium-sized startups that are filling the void.”
    05-18-16 10:02 PM
    Hopefully we will see some rally soon before ER

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    This is more scary than good. All these revised estimates only lead to higher expectations and then missed estimates which make the stock crash. It's been done time and time again, lower estimates to keep price dropping and sentiment remain and pushed negative, toward ER, raise estimates slowly but in a controlled way, then at ER, estimates miss or either top line or bottom line are missed and stock collapses more and the company is seen less and less as a going concern. The same thing will happen here.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-19-16 12:42 AM
    these revised estimates only lead to higher expectations
    We should definitely be cautious about theses.
    Still it's refreshing to note that there's finally a bunch of credible analysis sighting the light at the end of the tunnel; it's been a while. So, I for one would take it as a positive trend and I believe we should not underestimate the weight of theses for BlackBerry's employee's mood. And that's not the least to expect.

Sanguine statements can sometimes fuel the enthusiasm and I for one would prefer Chen to rebound over theses than discuss figures or angles of negatives: I'd want the pride and belonging to be brought on scene again, employees to be encouraged more.

General Chen - if I dare some A.C CEO-ing - : it's time to heal the wounded, rally the troupes and re-form the battalion !
    05-19-16 02:46 AM
    This is more scary than good. All these revised estimates only lead to higher expectations and then missed estimates which make the stock crash. It's been done time and time again, lower estimates to keep price dropping and sentiment remain and pushed negative, toward ER, raise estimates slowly but in a controlled way, then at ER, estimates miss or either top line or bottom line are missed and stock collapses more and the company is seen less and less as a going concern. The same thing will happen here.

Bang on.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 09:07 AM
    We should definitely be cautious about theses.
    Still it's refreshing to note that there's finally a bunch of credible analysis sighting the light at the end of the tunnel; it's been a while. So, I for one would take it as a positive trend and I believe we should not underestimate the weight of theses for BlackBerry's employee's mood. And that's not the least to expect.

Sanguine statements can sometimes fuel the enthusiasm and I for one would prefer Chen to rebound over theses than discuss figures or angles of negatives: I'd want the pride and belonging to be brought on scene again, employees to be encouraged more.

General Chen - if I dare some A.C CEO-ing - : it's time to heal the wounded, rally the troupes and re-form the battalion !
    To be completely frank, I have it on good authority (several employees) that morale is complete destroyed within the company, very few people care to, or see themselves working at BlackBerry as a career. Some have said that no one is told anything, lots of disorganization, they've let go of so many people that the company is in disarray, and beyond this all, they walk in at anytime and let people go. No one is clear on who's next but for most it's a job they're holding, not a career. It's sad to say, and as an advocate for BlackBerry for a long time, even I'm saddened to say that the company is a mess and will likely remain a small fraction of what it once was and Chen has really let everyone down. Watsa is the start of this all, he was responsible for a buyout that set a low bar for BlackBerry value that he couldn't even go through with. He put Chen in charge which all but destroyed most of the company. Have you tried most emails that BlackBerry lists, half don't work, you'd think it's a company gone bankrupt and the doors are closed. Mistake after mistake, we should all realize Chen is an old man, a dinosaur in the tech world, his only 'saviour' mantra comes from taking companies that have lost lots of value already and selling it at a slight premium to the depressed values, nothing stellar there. Think of it a CEO who badmouths and doesn't even understand the company he represents and works for. Bottom line BlackBerry would best be swallowed by a larger player who can spend the necessary money to have it reorganized and developed properly.

People are obsessed with Chen, but all he's done is damage the company. Remember when he said that he would crush the people against it, something along those lines, we all know how that played out.

sati01 likes this.
    05-19-16 10:04 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Well.. I will be at the University of Waterloo Friday (speaking engagement and luncheon in my honor for my scholarship)... was scheduled to meet with President, university also but now that will be rescheduled. I will ask around about BlackBerry... to be fair.. RIM was already close to bankrupt BEFORE he took charge ... especially the old "mobile" business... the fact that it has transformed itself, although not completed as yet, during his leadership, is a testament to his skills and extensive expertise.

While downsizing and rightsizing has, and is occurring at BlackBerry, this is the reality of companies and life...

Let's see where BlackBerry is a year from now. I am both its biggest supporter and also a critic....

One thing is mostly certain... without CEO chen taking charge when he did, most certainly RIM (blackBerry) would have gone the way of Nortel by now...Competition waits for no one.

Looking forward to my day in Waterloo friday... brings back lots of memories.... "silicon Valley North"

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 05-19-16 at 06:39 PM.
    05-19-16 10:16 AM
    05-19-16 10:32 AM
    The FP's take on the Macquarie report...
    BlackBerry Ltd?s device business worth $0 and should be shut down to help stock, says analyst | Financial Post

BlackBerry Ltd. should shut down its device business, a move that would help boost the stock, says a veteran analyst as he initiated coverage on the stock this week.

Gus Papageorgiou, analyst with Macquarie Capital Markets Canada, said in a note to clients that he recommends investors stay away from the stock until BlackBerry’s software and services business emerge as growth engines for the stock. He does not see that happening for several quarters, however.

Papageorgiou initiated coverage of the company with a sell rating, giving it a 12-month target of $8.70. The stock was down Thursday morning by three cents, or 0.35 per cent, to $8.63 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

“The ongoing decline of the service business and unsure future for handsets provide strong headwinds for the stock,” the analyst said. “We would avoid the shares in the mid-term.”

Chief executive John Chen told reporters earlier this year that his goal is to make BlackBerry’s hardware business profitable as early as September, and that it is likely the company will shut it down if that fails.

BlackBerry reported in April that it more than doubled software and licensing revenue in its fiscal fourth quarter, while it continued to see steep declines in handset sales. BlackBerry sold just 600,000 smartphones during the period, despite the much-hyped release of its new Android device, the Priv. Five years ago, the company averaged 13 million sales in the same quarter.

Papageorgiou said that shutting down the hardware business would transform BlackBerry into a much higher margin software company, one that would eventually return to growth.

“We believe the market would applaud the company exiting the device business,” he said. “Exiting the handset business would leave the company with much higher gross margins.”

A shutdown of the handset division, however, would lead to another round of job losses. The company currently has 4,534 employees — significantly down from its peak years of 20,000 — and Papageorgiou estimates that slightly fewer than 10 per cent of those are associated with BB10, the company’s previous operating system and smartphone line.

“We believe that some of these employees could likely be repurposed within the organization,” Papageorgiou notes.

The analyst also casts doubt that any company is willing to buy the struggling hardware division. While speculation has abounded for years that BlackBerry could be an acquisition target, the necessity of restructuring the company to be a software-only business is an obstacle to any deal.

“At this stage we do not believe there is much upside if the business is sold and management is likely biased to wait until the software business is larger and more valuable to conduct any sale,” he said.
    05-19-16 12:31 PM
    05-19-16 12:34 PM
    To be completely frank, I have it on good authority (several employees) that morale is complete destroyed within the company, very few people care to, or see themselves working at BlackBerry as a career. Some have said that no one is told anything, lots of disorganization, they've let go of so many people that the company is in disarray, and beyond this all, they walk in at anytime and let people go. No one is clear on who's next but for most it's a job they're holding, not a career. It's sad to say, and as an advocate for BlackBerry for a long time, even I'm saddened to say that the company is a mess and will likely remain a small fraction of what it once was and Chen has really let everyone down. Watsa is the start of this all, he was responsible for a buyout that set a low bar for BlackBerry value that he couldn't even go through with. He put Chen in charge which all but destroyed most of the company. Have you tried most emails that BlackBerry lists, half don't work, you'd think it's a company gone bankrupt and the doors are closed. Mistake after mistake, we should all realize Chen is an old man, a dinosaur in the tech world, his only 'saviour' mantra comes from taking companies that have lost lots of value already and selling it at a slight premium to the depressed values, nothing stellar there. Think of it a CEO who badmouths and doesn't even understand the company he represents and works for. Bottom line BlackBerry would best be swallowed by a larger player who can spend the necessary money to have it reorganized and developed properly.

People are obsessed with Chen, but all he's done is damage the company. Remember when he said that he would crush the people against it, something along those lines, we all know how that played out.

That's a poor mentality of people who should know better about the difficult situation BlackBerry was/is in. Nobody is married to their employer (nor should an employee feel the need to be) nowadays, especially in tech. The better you deal with this situation, the bigger the chance that you get to be part of a long term story/turn around. If you're waiting for that severance package so you get to say 'I told you so' to your friends and family.. then you're probably better off at MobileIron's sales team.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu, bbjdog, ZayDub and 6 others like this.
    05-19-16 12:46 PM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Indeed. Met him once while he was President of the University of Waterloo... distinguished and truly outstanding academic background
    & career... truly a Canadian superstar...

Posted via CB10

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Johnston
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 05-19-16 at 01:34 PM.
    Corbu, La Emperor, Greened and 5 others like this.
    05-19-16 01:22 PM
    Well done, sir!
    ?John and Sherry Chen Establish Endowed Chair in Neurosurgery at UCSF Benioff Children?s Hospital Oakland | News | UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland

John and Sherry Chen Establish Endowed Chair in Neurosurgery at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland

UCSF Benioff Oakland Neurosurgeon Dr. Peter Sun is the First Recipient of the Chen Chair

Oakland, CA (May 16, 2016) – UCSF Benioff Oakland Neurosurgeon Dr. Peter Sun has become the first recipient of the John S. and Sherry H. Chen Endowed Chair in Clinical Neurosurgery at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. This new endowed chair will initially be held by the Medical Director of the Division of Neurosurgery at UCSF Benioff Oakland, Dr. Sun. It will serve, in perpetuity, to honor excellence in the field of neurosurgery at the hospital, and to support recruitment and retention of world-class neurosurgeons.

“UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland is a very important institution,” said John Chen, BlackBerry’s Chief Executive Officer and Executive Chairman of its Board of Directors. “They help all kids in need and I am lucky enough to be able to give back and support such a worthy cause. My wife and I are East Bay residents; it means a great deal that we have a program of this caliber in our region—and that all children are cared for, regardless of ability to pay, is admirable and important.”

“We are grateful not only for what this endowed chair will enable us to accomplish clinically through the dedicated and gifted work of its chair holder, but also for the example and standard it sets,” said Dr. Bertram Lubin, President and CEO of UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. “We are confident it will set the stage for more endowed chairs and philanthropic investments.”

The Chens’ gift was recently celebrated at the Research Institute of UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland.

“John and Sherry Chen are true visionaries. I am very grateful to them for this gift, which is an important investment in our hospital,” said Dr. Sun.

Neurosurgeons at UCSF Benioff Oakland perform up to 450 neurosurgeries each year, with families coming from across the U.S. for this care. Because Children’s is the only Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center in the Bay Area, and only one of five in the state, the neurosurgery team works at all hours of the day and night to transform and save the lives of children in northern California and beyond. The team not only operates on children with severe head trauma, but also those with other types of pediatric neurosurgical care, including brain tumors, spinal disorders, congenital anomalies, craniosynostosis, spasticity, and hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals is ranked among the best in the country.
    http://www.eastbaytimes.com/breaking...hospital-chair

The chair was endowed by John S. and Sherry H. Chen, who donated $1 million to recognize the hospital's neurosurgery department and to help recruit and retain top neurosurgeons, according to a press release.
    05-19-16 01:23 PM
107,415 ... 39193920392139223923 ...