View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.77%
  • No

411 37.23%
    If JC is so determined to release two new Android smartphones by the end of the year, it should mean that the Priv is not selling that bad...Am I wrong?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and CDM76 like this.
    05-02-16 03:51 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Interesting Indeed!.

"Two new phones by Feb 2017"....

Most definitive statement since the last earnings results on the state of Blackberry hardware and their plans going forward... This implies strong confidence in the near term/ future profitability of the Hardware side of the business.... I must admit, I am surprised, highly skeptical, yet welcome a profitable HW business to complement the growing software and services business.

How well will they execute and will they really be profitable? ....

Well, Let's see by year end where they are and where this stock is... patience (memo to me)...

"BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) CEO John Chen said that the company will release two new phones by February 2017. Chen is speaking on Bloomberg TV today.

Chen said that the company will exit the handset business only if it can't make money."
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 05-02-16 at 04:33 PM.
    05-02-16 04:10 PM
    This kind of talk can have a material impact on the share price:

While it's no revelation to hear John Chen talk of upcoming BlackBerry devices, considering he has noted several times now there would be one or two more devices coming by the end of this year, this time around he sounded more definitive in stating it would be two, and when questioned if there would be any more after that, Chen responded with a very confident sounding 'Absolutely!'
    rarsen, Mr BBRY, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    05-02-16 04:24 PM
    Weekend off topic. Hopefully this isn't frowned upon.

I've been looking for a boat for a lifestyle change. I've settled on a nice little Contest 36 that is being surveyed as I type this (a boat version of a detailed home inspection). This will be my home for a few years if all goes well today.

Attachment 398525
    Attachment 398526
    Attachment 398527
    Attachment 398528
    Attachment 398529
    Attachment 398530

Posted via CB10
    The boat looks awesome. I lived aboard for 5 years in SoCal, Ventura. Only issue was my wife got very leery when her "house" would heel over when under sail. She never got used to that.

Enjoy one of the two best days you will have as a boat owner!

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell and rarsen like this.
    05-02-16 04:37 PM
    Interesting Indeed!.

"Two new phones by Feb 2017"....

Most definitive statement since the last earnings results on the state of Blackberry hardware and their plans going forward... This implies strong confidence in the near term/ future profitability of the Hardware side of the business.... I must admit, I am surprised, highly skeptical, yet welcome a profitable HW business to complement the growing software and services business.

How well will they execute and will they really be profitable? ....

Well, Let's see by year end where they are and where this stock is... patience (memo to me)...

"BlackBerry (NASDAQ: BBRY) CEO John Chen said that the company will release two new phones by February 2017. Chen is speaking on Bloomberg TV today.

Chen said that the company will exit the handset business only if it can't make money."
    This is welcome confidence, I just wish they could get phones out for the Christmas season, and yes I understand they are enterprise aimed, but nothing wrong with having them under the Christmas tree for easy sales too.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 05:07 PM
    JC on Bloomberg:
    BlackBerry Hopes to Release Two New Phones by Feb. 2017 - Bloomberg

BlackBerry CEO John Chen talks about plans for new smartphones and the company's earnings. He speaks from the Milken Institute Global Conference on "Bloomberg Markets." (Source: Bloomberg)
    masterful, bbjdog, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    05-02-16 06:10 PM
    05-02-16 06:12 PM
    I like the last candle, I think tomorrow's gonna be nice. 😀
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-12384.jpg  
    05-02-16 06:42 PM
    http://ca.blackberry.com/home.html

Looks like BlackBerry has a new home page

Simple, yet to the point.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 07:45 PM
    BlackBerry Enterprise Mobility, BBM, Smartphones & Support -

Wow, I guess Chen's nephew got to chapter 2 of Photoshop for Dummies? Ooof, that design is really awful. I'm not sure it's fair to even call it design. That would seem an insult to designers.

They are still a big enough company that they can at least try to look presentable. I forgot how frustrating it can be to be long $BBRY. It's been a while.

Wow.

Anyway, I think it's interesting news that they put that Feb 2017 date out there. The positive sign is that maybe Priv sales have stabilized, and/or they are seeing good results from the $400 sales price? If you're into phone hardware, that's a positive sign.
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-02-16 08:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    These colors and gradients remind me of a early 2000s webpage.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 09:13 PM
    These colors and gradients remind me of a early 2000s webpage.

Posted via CB10
    You mean back when BlackBerry was king of the hill, maybe not a bad idea, get the subconscious of people to remember the 2000's when BlackBerry was on their A game!

Posted via CB10
    fanBBRY likes this.
    05-02-16 10:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    I like this one better than the last... I think, although I might start missing the last after a while, it had quite a "different" and possibly "BlackBerry" feel to it, whilst this one feels like what a corporate website should be, which is not necessarily a good thing.

I hope it changes once more, not feeling the font. Now that I've looked at it again it feels like there are still quite a few 'old' people at BlackBerry and they complained the new site (the one before this one) was too edgy and to tone things down.

Something more like this would be great ;

https://www.satalia.com/

Where someone who has never heard about BlackBerry before can within 2 seconds of being on the site understand what they do and why it may matter to them, right now neither make-overs achieved that imo

Do you guys/gals like it?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 01:04 AM
    You mean back when BlackBerry was king of the hill, maybe not a bad idea, get the subconscious of people to remember the 2000's when BlackBerry was on their A game!

Posted via CB10
    Lol, what about the new people who have been born, doesn't BlackBerry need to get them interested?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 01:06 AM
    FTR, summary of yesterday's interviews with JC:
    BlackBerry CEO John Chen discusses plans, market conditions in a pair of new interviews - Android Authority

With CNBC

When asked if BlackBerry had been the beneficiary of some of the iPhone sales Apple has lost in its recent fiscal quarter, Mr. Chen replied “No I haven’t really seen that evidence. I wish I could…I think the whole high end market has softened for the handset phone business.”

When asked what the reason is for said softening, he feel it’s “mostly because of the industry.” This is likely referring to keen competition from Chinese manufacturers who have driven down prices considerably while including increasingly powerful specs and premium builds.

When asked about the company’s plans to release new phones, he said, “we have two new phones coming out between now and the end of the year.”

Regarding the logic of continuing to make hardware, he referred to the issue as one of “could I get the business to make money?” and answers that “I’m very close.”

Regarding the issue of the hardware segment and profitability, he feels that the company is “very close” and that it “will be a profitable one”.

When asked if there are plans to release additional hardware after the end of its current fiscal year (ending in February 2017), Chen said “absolutely” however he was careful to note it depends on profitability.

With Bloomberg

Regarding the need to keep making hardware, Chen feels that “we have a lot of customers who rely on us” and that “it’s important that I give them the end to end solution…at least I give them the choice”.

Unlike hardware, he stated that “my software business are agnostic to any phones”.

Mr. Chen feels that BlackBerry devices “[sic] is the most secure phone, so there are value added there”.

He also mentions that by September of this year “I will know” responding to allegations that he has been pushing out the date by which BlackBerry handsets can turn a profit. “But it looks good.”

In order to give investors more transparency as to the exact fiscal condition of the hardware business, “I’m going to segmented reporting”.

When asked if he “would…keep a handset business that couldn’t generate a 40% gross margin?”, Chen replies that “It depends. As I said it is my connection to a lot of the customers around the world [so] it has value beyond just the margin of itself.”

When asked about specifics for the timing of the two hardware devices that are to launch this fiscal year, he replied that “[sic] we’re looking for something late summer, early fall in the first one, and then one that’s later in the year”.
    05-03-16 08:23 AM
    In order to give investors more transparency as to the exact fiscal condition of the hardware business, “I’m going to segmented reporting”.
    Curious to see how that might play out. One consideration is that Chen breaks down the numbers for individual devices. That would be a first. He could also break down the device sales by region. Interesting.
    05-03-16 08:45 AM
    Curious to see how that might play out. One consideration is that Chen breaks down the numbers for individual devices. That would be a first. He could also break down the device sales by region. Interesting.
    Even if he only did it once a year, it would be good for investors to know what markets are important to BlackBerry now and what devices really do sell.
    05-03-16 09:02 AM
    I like it!

Posted via my BlackBerry PRIV
    05-03-16 09:39 AM
    05-03-16 09:50 AM
    05-03-16 09:55 AM
    Every time John Chen signals new handsets are coming, the stock drops several percentage points because the market anticipates him spending money with not much profit potential.
    05-03-16 12:15 PM
    I think what Chen is saying is that there enough security minded customers in business and government that will buy a blackberry that he can make this business work. They won't be compelling phones to consumers. But enterprise will buy enough and distribute them that it will be a business. That is why the priv is so expensive. And why there is room for a regular slab phone that will be cheaper but won't be consumer focused.

That has to be the play. A dedicated work phone that is not part of a bring your own device enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 02:10 PM
    To follow up on the security issue with new phones, I think BBRY is going to be able to sell those end to end secure phones to certain customers at enough of a premium that BBRY will be able to run the hardware division at a profit. This is because the cost of making a phone is going to keep going down but the value of security is going to keep going up.

Posted via CB10
    iamagod, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 2 others like this.
    05-03-16 03:48 PM
    Every time John Chen signals new handsets are coming, the stock drops several percentage points because the market anticipates him spending money with not much profit potential.
    I think it dropped because they confirmed one device won't launch until Feb 2017.
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-03-16 03:54 PM
    I think it dropped because they confirmed one device won't launch until Feb 2017.
    It simply did what the overall market did. The days chart is pretty much the same for BBRY, Nasdaq, S&P, and DOW, and many other stocks.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 04:16 PM
104,878 ... 39093910391139123913 ...