View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Yours truly. Yes I'm quotable sometimes. And most of what I say is almost true.

Posted via CB10
    That's not what your better half says! LOL
    Corbu, rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    04-21-16 07:54 PM
    I do admit controversial is part of his pedigree. Still, this story seems to have legs and fits with latests announcements... so...
    Well, as always the only way we will know for sure is if we see an uptick in BB Android handset sales to the govt when this "secret plan" of his is revealed.

I've followed this guy for a long time. I will send you a wonderful bottle of whatever you enjoy if this story turns out to be anything more than utter fantasy. At least you'll get a nice evening out of it. Cheers.
    04-21-16 07:57 PM
    That's not what your better half says! LOL
    Haha...she doesn't dare dispute that statement! She's smarter than that.

Still, I hold BBRY in her portfolio, and it's a bit more down than in mine (I'm more active), so the helltopay is maybe yettocome. Or not...if AMD holds its aftermarket gains....and Chen delivers....

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog, Corbu, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    04-21-16 08:02 PM
    Good question, but once you remember that the combined populations of Nigeria and Indonesia is somewhere around 450 million, it starts to make sense. BIS plans are still sometimes the cheapest way to get data coverage in many countries where legacy BlackBerry use is still common. I wish there were a better way to leverage this, but even Chen admits that there's nothing he can do about it, and he's a master of repurposing old stuff.
    Totally agree with you! lets add on South Africa and India to the mix. Last time I checked (a while ago) India was still ordering 9??? series phones.
    Corbu, rarsen, Superfly_FR and 2 others like this.
    04-21-16 08:12 PM
    Totally agree with you! lets add on South Africa and India to the mix. Last time I checked (a while ago) India was still ordering 9??? series phones.
    Yes still legacy there, and in the Caribbean too, but it's all dwindling. Still, in total the decline rate seems to fairly predictable at 18%

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 08:44 PM
    Haha...she doesn't dare dispute that statement! She's smarter than that.

Still, I hold BBRY in her portfolio, and it's a bit more down than in mine (I'm more active), so the helltopay is maybe yettocome. Or not...if AMD holds its aftermarket gains....and Chen delivers....

Posted via CB10
    I truly hope her portfolio beats yours! That fairy tale about the turtle and the rabbit. LOL

In regards to Chen, he hasn't disappointed me yet and now he can focus on hardware.

AMD chart below with no explanation, all the best.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-amd.png
    Corbu likes this.
    04-21-16 08:50 PM
    Total speculation on my part - Could there be a keyboard licensing deal between Samsung and Blackberry if this turns out to be true???

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-samsung-note-6-keyboard.jpg

Galaxy Note 6 accessories revealed way, way early
    04-22-16 12:30 AM
    I've followed this guy for a long time. I will send you a wonderful bottle of whatever you enjoy if this story turns out to be anything more than utter fantasy. At least you'll get a nice evening out of it. Cheers.
    So why do you follow him then ?

Posted via CB10
    04-22-16 02:27 AM
    Anyone know why there is a chart and couple phones at end of all the recent posts ? I've tried editing and they don't show. A bug or a hack ? Doesn't seem to be occurring in other threads.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-16 02:30 AM
    Deal ! [And I won't be asking for a Cheval Blanc 1947 - Angelus 2010 will be perfect !]

The whole story may sound weird, I concede.
    But a particular point fits perfectly what we can see and what we've heard from Chen.
    It's about certifications and MM; I'm pretty confident there's a solid logic behind that and it gives another perspective to Chen's statement about the ability to perform "as good as" BBOS/BB10 security wise. As I often stated here, to me BB10 won't be left behind until I can read that BlackBerry gained the same level of certifications (let's take DOD as a passing point) with his reinforced Android implementation.

I sincerely doubted they can achieve that with Lollipop, moreover, questioned the opportunity if you look at it in a dynamic (MM and N were already on the market or in the news) perspective.Those certifications certainly have a non negligible cost, require manpower and a "secret sauce" IMHO barely compatible with an already fully exploit-ed OS. Starting "from scratch" (MM) and with a better lifespan perspective makes totally sense and also weights (hard) my initial approach : "if they don't even try, there's little chance it can happen soon".
    Appears I forgot they could decide to skip LL, just like that.

And here we are now with another angle, where MM is the new vector of growth and for once since BB10, BlackBerry in the perfect timing, with a first real life Android device test & customer feedback. Oh my ... could they even have 1 shot ahead ?

Exciting times,
    Sign'O the Times ...

It's silly, no?
    When a rocket ship explodes
    And everybody still wants 2 fly
    Some say a man ain't happy
    Unless a man truly dies
    Oh why
    Time, time
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-22-16 at 04:09 AM.
    04-22-16 02:38 AM
    Anyone know why there is a chart and couple phones at end of all the recent posts ? I've tried editing and they don't show. A bug or a hack ? Doesn't seem to be occurring in other threads.

Posted via CB10
    Had the same symptoms, on CB10 only though.
    Will report; probably a caching issue.

Edit : seems they're at it already; currently only the phone on my Passport, charts gone. And my last messages were 100% exempt of it.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-22-16 02:42 AM
    Found an interesting link to a French article in another thread, please jump in and add your views there :
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...lysis-1071095/

P.S: as mentioned in my comment, please read till the end or jump to conclusion; translation is fair but leaves no shine to what you'll probably like at the end AND he/she's a new member so ... welcomes most welcome !
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    04-22-16 04:00 AM
    Total speculation on my part - Could there be a keyboard licensing deal between Samsung and Blackberry if this turns out to be true???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samsung Note 6 Keyboard.JPG 
Views:	5370 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	397876

Galaxy Note 6 accessories revealed way, way early
    Doesn't look likely. The keyboard itself looks bulky, and it doesn't look at all like a BlackBerry keyboard design
    I could be wrong, though.
    04-22-16 05:23 AM
    Could be for touch/swipe enabled technology though ... let's wait and see ...
    04-22-16 05:33 AM
    Those 2 pics are really annoying.. Update time for CB10?? p.s. Great news on the front page!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-16 06:02 AM
    Back on topic: direct competitor MobileIron is reporting Q1 results on Thursday 28 April: From their previous earnings:

"The company is providing the following outlook for its fiscal first quarter 2016 (ending March 31, 2016):

Gross billings are expected to be between $40 million and $43 million, growth of 10% to 18% year-over-year.
    Revenue is expected to be between $38 million and $40 million, growth between 16% and 22% year-over-year.
    Non-GAAP gross margin is expected to be between 82 and 83%, and non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be between $42 million and $44 million.
    The company is providing the following outlook for its fiscal 2016 (ending December 31, 2016):

Gross billings are expected to be between $180 million and $200 million.
    Revenue is expected to be between $160 million and $180 million.
    Non-GAAP operating margin is expected to be between -8% and -12% for the fourth quarter 2016.
    Cash from operations is expected to be positive for the fiscal fourth quarter 2016."
    04-22-16 07:03 AM
    Definitely something we should monitor.
    IMHO more for a buy and bin (brake apart & sale) than integration for BlackBerry (they made the Good choice) but still an important competitor that could be ticked out of the scene and reinforce their dominant (#1) position ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-22-16 at 10:08 AM. Reason: some wording
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    04-22-16 07:13 AM
    04-22-16 07:36 AM

Not sure exactly how a potential HW spinoff is necessarily connected to a bond repurchase,

Posted via CB10
    Pretty straight forward here, the bond issue was designed as a security blanket to support BlackBerry's efforts to turn around the business, in particular, HW. They issued the bonds and wrote down over $ 4 B bucks in HW. Now we have too much cash, John Chen stated he won't touch it for acquisitions, HW is one of only two shoes to drop in terms of BB becoming self-supporting and stable again. If they move away/spin-off HW, the bond debt becomes the only negative left for BlackBerry to contend with on the balance sheet. John Chen stated that in addition to raising the size of the share buyback program, again, that he would retire a large portion of those bonds when they become due and available for repurchase this Fall. I'll take him at his word as it makes no sense to carry debt when you clearly have no use for it. Prem now has to figure out how far Chen will go with that purchase agreement set for this Fall.

As for BIS, it appears that a pool of 500 MM people can't support in a modest amount of revenue now, the SAF numbers fall in a predictable way and BlackBerry really doesn't have a low end phone to entice HW sales in that arena either. Thanks
    OlympusMons, Corbu, bbjdog and 9 others like this.
    04-22-16 08:07 AM
    So why do you follow him then ?
    He's become a celebrity in our world for saying outlandish things. He's a character. It's entertainment.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-22-16 08:10 AM
    Pretty straight forward here, the bond issue was designed as a security blanket to support BlackBerry's efforts to turn around the business, in particular, HW. They issued the bonds and wrote down over $ 4 B bucks in HW. Now we have too much cash, John Chen stated he won't touch it for acquisitions, HW is one of only two shoes to drop in terms of BB becoming self-supporting and stable again. If they move away/spin-off HW, the bond debt becomes the only negative left for BlackBerry to contend with on the balance sheet. John Chen stated that in addition to raising the size of the share buyback program, again, that he would retire a large portion of those bonds when they become due and available for repurchase this Fall. I'll take him at his word as it makes no sense to carry debt when you clearly have no use for it. Prem now has to figure out how far Chen will go with that purchase agreement set for this Fall.

As for BIS, it appears that a pool of 500 MM people can't support in a modest amount of revenue now, the SAF numbers fall in a predictable way and BlackBerry really doesn't have a low end phone to entice HW sales in that arena either. Thanks
    Yeah but I guess my point is that if Chen does actually manage to turn HW around to the point where it's 0-5% growth in both revs and earnings, that would also get rid of the 'negative' on the balance sheet, because the book value of the division itself would start to go up. The bond repurchase is a given either way. That's why I think Prem is already planning for that reality...i.e. a special issuance for bondholders, together with a much more aggressive buyback as things progress.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, Corbu, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    04-22-16 09:21 AM
    I'm so happy I have to scratch my head, read twice (or more!) and grab a dictionary sometimes to be sure I get right the sharp explanations and details you guys offer here.
    Merci beaucoup !
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 2 others like this.
    04-22-16 10:07 AM
    Does JC need to look for consent from the bondholders in order to repurchase those bonds?
    04-22-16 10:11 AM
    Doesn't rely on BB patents.

The slide on pkb is already out for the S7 series. It's bulkier and using different underlying tech for the keypress. Basically it mimics a stylus pen as the vkb lives underneath the slide on. As a consequence its not as accurate as the BB pkb and has been panned for that reason.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    04-22-16 10:19 AM
    Never. It's very on topic and provides valuable insight to the board, in my opinion. If others are bored, well then I don't know if they're ready to understand how stock price valuations are carried out or even why they're here. It takes work. If we use this board to share information and thoughts that saves us all time and effort.

Good question, but once you remember that the combined populations of Nigeria and Indonesia is somewhere around 450 million, it starts to make sense. BIS plans are still sometimes the cheapest way to get data coverage in many countries where legacy BlackBerry use is still common. I wish there were a better way to leverage this, but even Chen admits that there's nothing he can do about it, and he's a master of repurposing old stuff.

Not sure exactly how a potential HW spinoff is necessarily connected to a bond repurchase, but I'll discuss a bit more and maybe you'll see where I'm coming from. First off, I think the BlackBerry Android phones are all really meant to be on Marshmallow right from the get go. The marketing that was done on Priv sort of implied more than was there, and DTEK will really only shine once it's run on Marshmallow. It also helps explain the Verizon timing. There's a history there , so they can't have convinced them to carry it just on the one phone...it's more about a being part of a security strategy for their business clients that includes BlackBerry. Another example is that article that just said BlackBerry held back on DoD Priv sales in order to have one single certification process under Marshmallow and capture the sales later, particularly now that the fleet phones are in the works.. So now that things are lined up, we see Chen go full throttle (as much as possible) to make BlackBerry HW on Android 'work', from a company perspective. But, interestingly, he's also given himself timeliness that line up in front a potential bond repurchase and not really enough time to roll out the fleet phones. I would assume that this is intentional, but instead of assuming that Watsa is going to be caught flat footed I would suggest that he's got it all lined up behind the scenes. For example, they could do a restricted share issuance to bond holders at market prices ahead of a bond repurchase, which would basically return much of the cash for the bond repurchase back to bbry. It would dilute shareholders but would also eliminate all 'debt' and would not affect cash levels or share price too much. They will also now be able to negotiate some sort of operational line of credit with the cdn banks to fill any liquidity gap that might arise from the repurchase.

Yes agreed. Chen's attention is on the Android HW thing right now, but I worry about the QNX side. New cars are all being marketed for Apple and Google compatibility, which means they'll scoop the margins. This is a big area that needs more attention...and the auto makers themselves need to start coming together on this if they also want to claim their chunk of those margins and keep the silly 'phonification' of the dashboard at bay.

Yes agreed. I recently converted half my ECA.TO to BB.TO

Posted via CB10
    After last earnings I'm going to start trading BBRY vs the long hold I've had on it. Now it should get back to 8 in a hurry Unless there is news, which I don't see except buyout rumours, I see it as pretty flat in the 7.20-8.40 range for a while. [requirement].

IMO the germans are greedy. Charging exhorbitant amounts for Audi Connect and Mercedes Me for data access and traffic over data. For Audi I believe you can change out the SIM card at least. But there should also be the option of using your smartphone to provide the data for the QNX infotainment including MMI apps. For people who don't want to pay that monthly fee, it is gimping the QNX potential on their vehicle. "Free" (streaming data via mobile and using their iOS or Android apps) is much better. If the big euro 3 want to stop the pressure of launching Carplay and Android Auto, it's time to make is easier to use what is already there, which is much better too. Right now they've just decided that they won't launch Carplay / AA, which I think may push customers elsewhere. In Canada you can't get real time traffic over data in the Audi or Mercedes (BMW does have it and I believe over data not radio), and their units don't come with a SIM slot. Ford may well lead the pack in customer choice and cost of use with QNX / Sync3.
    04-22-16 10:22 AM
107,458 ... 39033904390539063907 ...