View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Absolutely nothing. BlackBerry missed the train here. If they responded in a timely manner and on point then the media likely would have given their side too. But, BlackBerry was caught asleep at the wheel. The media has moved on as they've done the damaged intended.

Posted via CB10
    I can't explain it better then Elvis Presley.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...RE&PC=RIMBINGD

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Last edited by bbjdog; 04-18-16 at 09:28 PM.
    04-18-16 06:24 PM
    Sorry about the OT: my son wanted a Stanley Cup ring that came in a certain beer box. I gave in and got the case of beer. You will not believe which ring I got! God, I know I'm being punished, but why?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_20160418_194844.jpg

04-18-16 06:58 PM
    Sorry about the OT: my son wanted a Stanley Cup ring that came in a certain beer box. I gave in and got the case of beer. You will not believe which ring I got! God, I know I'm being punished, but why?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160418_194844.jpg 
Views:	1123 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	397567

Winnipeg?
    04-18-16 07:12 PM
    Winnipeg?
    If I turn the picture upside down it is. Which team is it Bungaboy?

Corbu likes this.
    04-18-16 07:25 PM
    Maroons! Even Corbu knows that! LoL
    Corbu and 3MIKE like this.
    04-18-16 07:29 PM
    Maroons! Even Corbu knows that! LoL
    Correct! Corbu did you know?

Corbu likes this.
    04-18-16 07:46 PM
    OT: Halo looks overbought and hugging the upper BB. I'd like to pick up more but want to wait for a retest around 10.40. Any holders have thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 08:21 PM
    Correct! Corbu did you know?
    I did. I even saw them play... Well, not quite!

And thanks for the "even", Bunga!

Funny thing is they shared the newly built Montreal Forum with the Canadiens for a while, after their arena was destroyed by fire. The Maroons were the English community's team whereas the Canadiens were the French community's team... Too bad they did not survive the Great Depression.
    Last edited by Corbu; 04-18-16 at 09:40 PM.
    bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    04-18-16 08:57 PM
    OT:
    Americans Keep Their Cellphones Longer - WSJ

Demise of two-year cellphone contract stops many consumers from routine device upgrades

The death of the two-year cellphone contract has broken many Americans from a habit of routinely upgrading their smartphones.

Since the early days of Apple Inc.’s iPhone, most customers have avoided paying for the full price for the latest model. But the success of AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. since 2013 in shifting customers into plans that force them to pay the full price for devices—and separate that cost from monthly service fees—has consumers holding on to their devices longer.

Citigroup estimates the phone-replacement cycle will stretch to 29 months for the first half of 2016, up from 28 months in the fourth quarter of 2015 and the typical range of 24 to 26 months seen during the two prior years.

“It’s never good to be in a market where subsidy hides the real cost of doing something,” John Stankey, chief executive of AT&T’s entertainment group, said during an investor conference last month. The technological advances that come in new models are narrowing, he said, and many wireless customers “are no longer thinking that they want to upgrade it every 12 months or 18 months.”

Matt Szatkowski is planning to keep his phone—potentially until it no longer works. The 24 year-old who lives in Orange, Conn., bought his iPhone 6 from AT&T in September using an installment plan and paid it off in 18 months. Now that the $37.50 monthly payments are finished, he plans to wait as long as possible to upgrade.

“I don’t need one,” he said, noting that while he may be curious about the new phones’ features, so far he doesn’t feel a need to upgrade. “This one works perfectly fine.”

Previously, Mr. Szatkowski traded in his phones every two years because the structure of his contract plan encouraged it. He called the upgrade cycle a “marketing trap” and believes the features on his phone will hold up for years.

Last year, Apple tried to combat that shift by introducing a leasing program allowing customers to get a new device as often as every 12 months. Fewer Americans, however, are buying their phones directly from Apple, with three-fourths opting to purchase from their wireless carriers in 2015, according to a study by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

“In terms of the upgrade program itself, I think over time, it will be meaningful as customers get into a different pattern,” Apple CEO Tim Cook said during a January conference call with analysts. “This has to do with wanting to provide customers a very simple way to upgrade.”

Smaller carriers Sprint Corp. and T-Mobile US Inc. also offer phone leases with frequent upgrades. AT&T and Verizon—the two biggest players, with about three-quarters of the country’s 246 million mainstream cellular subscribers, according to UBS, don’t offer such a leasing option. Most AT&T or Verizon customers must either buy their new phones upfront or pay in monthly installments.

Sprint said 55% of its customers buying a phone choose leasing. T-Mobile said it hasn’t seen a drop in upgrade rates in recent quarters. At the end of the lease, a customer has to either return the phone or make a one-time payment to buy the device.

Analysts see the longer device life as positive for the carriers because it could lead to fewer service cancellations or defections in the competitive industry. “Handset sales are the main trigger for customer activity and movement among the carriers,” UBS analyst John Hodulik said in a recent note to clients.

In 2015, about 30% of the U.S. postpaid phone base upgraded their device, according to UBS, down from 32.5% in 2014 and a high of 35% in 2011. The firm expects an all-time low 6.2% of the base to upgrade in the first quarter, down from 7.2% a year ago.

The longer upgrade cycle lowers equipment revenue for the telecom companies, but Verizon’s Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo argued last month that the top-line shift is painless.

“In this world where the customer is paying full price for the phone, it has less of an impact regardless of where volume is,” he said. “I record $1 dollar of revenue, I record $1 of cost, it is zero profit because everybody is selling them at cost.”

The shift isn’t as benign for Apple.

BTIG analyst Walter Piecyk recently cut 10 million units out of his fiscal 2016 and 2017 iPhone estimates because of shifting upgrade rates in the U.S. “We have broader concerns that there is a structural change under way in the pace of upgrades,” he told clients.

Apple declined to comment.

Mr. Piecyk warned it may take more quarters and the launch of the next model of iPhone—likely in the fall—to confirm the trend. While some contend that being in the tail end of the two-year iPhone model cycle hurts upgrades, he said the decline this year has been “more steep than prior cycles.”
    04-18-16 09:23 PM
    Ok there's been a exchange about OT (another stock) and related to politics.
    All cleaned now no derail will be further tolerated.
    Keep politics outta here.
    Thanks.
    [info]
    Reminder
    All Moderator decisions are final. If you have a complaint or issue with a Moderator, please bring it up privately via private message, or send an email or PM to either the Moderator Team Leader (pkcable) or our Community Manager (James Falconer).
    [/info]
    Unfortunately the hint has been ignored and we have 4 pages with hardly a mention of BBRY stock. I will reopen later after review and cleanup with appropriate infractions.
    04-19-16 02:44 AM
    Folks,

Ok here's the deal! We need to keep the thread on topic, IF you guys want to constantly keep going off topic then I have the option of moving the thread to Off Topic Rehab sub forum, I'm cool with that. But we can't just allow a select few to veer off topic and also report others for going off topic at a whim. You can't have your cake and eat it too! So can I get an agreement to keep it on topic moving forward? This is not to say you can interject a little humor in to your otherwise on topic post, BUT your post MUST have at least some relevant BBRY news, commentary, etc

Come on guys we are all adults here, lets act it! I'm opening the thread.
    Superfly_FR and CDM76 like this.
    04-20-16 09:52 AM
    So the EU has now formally charged Google with antitrust violations wrt "abuse of dominance"

Google faces EU charge over Android 'abuse of dominance' - BBC News

It's still very early, of course, but if successful this does give BB (and others) some interesting new options for their Android ("android"?) phones going forward.
    Superfly_FR, kadakn01 and rarsen like this.
    04-20-16 10:01 AM
    So the EU has now formally charged Google with antitrust violations wrt "abuse of dominance"

It's still very early, of course, but if successful this does give BB (and others) some interesting new options for their Android ("android"?) phones going forward.
    But will it take effect globally?
    bugs2011 likes this.
    04-20-16 10:05 AM

You beat me at it
    The particular point we have to follow is how the Europeans will interfere with OHA rules, in particular the "OS exclusive" portion. This could by many means open new possibilities for BlackBerry, either considering the ART or the option to offer OS choice, even outside BlackBerry OSes (hey, that's dream: tin foil on !).
    BUT keep in mind the drivers cost problem and it might be too late for previous BB10 devices (with Android compatible components) once/if it happens.

Any flexibility in the matter is good news for BlackBerry, subsequently for the stock value ...

Edit :
    You may also have heard about the SS7 hack that may open some eyes and make some analysts re-think about the "end-to-end" mantra and the typical advantage a slightly negative (devices) margin may offer.
    It's just about "perception"; they're just unaware of all the hidden "in the middle" things ...
    Well, well ... sticking to "security" was maybe a "done story" against "secure enough", but today, it's all news (for some). And IMHO, it will serve BBRY well.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 04-20-16 at 10:22 AM.
    04-20-16 10:08 AM
    It's probably super early to speculate on impact. But at least in the EU, it opens the possibility of a middle ground hybrid type of approach where the new BB phones could be much more BlackBerry and less Android, because BB would be able to pick and choose (presumably without losing Play)

It also potentially changes the economics of Android for Alphabet, changing a lot of assumptions we've had about what BB's hardware options are in general IMO.

Will be a case to watch, I think!
    Superfly_FR, Uzi, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    04-20-16 10:11 AM
    Well, how could they handle that for Europe only ? IMHO the cost would be higher than reviewing the whole thing ...
    Uzi and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-20-16 10:17 AM
    it opens the possibility of a middle ground hybrid type of approach where the new BB phones could be much more BlackBerry and less Android, because BB would be able to pick and choose (presumably without losing Play)
    ... and the dream machine talks : Android N based ART for BB10, anyone ?
    app_Developer and smart548 like this.
    04-20-16 10:26 AM
    Well, how could they handle that for Europe only ? IMHO the cost would be higher than reviewing the whole thing ...
    Plus if the EU acts, that becomes a shot in the arm to Apple's lawyers and lobbyists who would love to see similar action here in the US.

If the case is settled in the EU's favor, this is a big deal and would change the global landscape immediately.
    04-20-16 10:28 AM
    Plus if the EU acts, that becomes a shot in the arm to Apple's lawyers and lobbyists who would love to see similar action here in the US.

If the case is settled in the EU's favor, this is a big deal and would change the global landscape immediately.
    Make sense
    04-20-16 10:30 AM
    Edit :
    You may also have heard about the SS7 hack that may open some eyes and make some analysts re-think about the "end-to-end" mantra and the typical advantage a slightly negative (devices) margin may offer.
    It's just about "perception"; they're just unaware of all the hidden "in the middle" things ...
    Well, well ... sticking to "security" was maybe a "done story" against "secure enough", but today, it's all news (for some). And IMHO, it will serve BBRY well.
    Ok, you lost me there. I would think this would increase the perceived (and real, btw!) value of end to end encryption for voice, such as what WA now has. This leaves BB behind a bit, since they don't have voice encryption at all unless you use secusmart, right?

FB offers this for free.
    04-20-16 10:34 AM
    Ok, you lost me there. I would think this would increase the perceived (and real, btw!) value of end to end encryption for voice, such as what WA now has. This leaves BB behind a bit, since they don't have voice encryption at all unless you use secusmart, right?

FB offers this for free.
    I think the latest BBM Protected update now including voice call encryption

Edit : http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1069808
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-20-16 10:38 AM
    The EU issue and the Russian ruling before it has to do with bundling. In practical terms it could allow BB to have BBM w/o Messenger which is a Google app and is required for a Play license. BB could also negotiate and perhaps get some revenue from Microsoft by making Bing the default search. Most android users WANT google apps so it doesn't change things globally but it could change things in certain use cases.
    04-20-16 10:40 AM
    Edit :
    The whole story was promptly posted in our favorite thread, SF...

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post12392725

btw, anyone noticed which phone the German hacker was using?
    kadakn01, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    04-20-16 10:51 AM
    The whole story was promptly posted in our favorite thread, SF...

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...l#post12392725

btw, anyone noticed which phone the German hacker was using?
    Don't you mean it was posted to the, "I support GOOG and I buy shares !" thread? ,

He uses a Classic and that's cool enough, I guess he doesn't want his naked pictures all over the net.

Good to see you here bringing the board back to BBRY, let's hope we can keep one or two trolls away this time!

Spiller had a question a few pages back about BlackBerry valuation as a SW company so I think I'll go see if it is still there! Peace.

OOPS! I now see it was _dimi_ that posed the question regarding BBRY valuation!
    Last edited by morganplus8; 04-20-16 at 12:12 PM.
    04-20-16 11:18 AM
113,256 ... 38993900390139023903 ...