Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    Some more quotes from the Indian launch:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/01/bl...on-to-android/

"The Priv device is essentially our transition to Android ecosystem. As we secure Android, over a period of time, we would not have two platforms, and may have only Android as a platform. The future is really Android."
    Last edited by Munx; 02-01-16 at 12:34 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-01-16 12:17 PM
    OT: Nokia/IP
    Nokia Shares Slump After Patent Guidance Disappoints - WSJ

Amid stiff competition and consolidation in the cellphone market, investors are focusing on intellectual property returns

Shares in Nokia Corp. slumped Monday after the Finnish telecommunications equipment maker issued guidance for its intellectual-property portfolio following a patent deal reached with Samsung Electronics Co., that left some investors disappointed.

Nokia said that, including the Samsung award, it expects to receive at least EUR1.3 billion ($1.4 billion) in cash between 2016 and 2018 related to settled and continuing arbitration regarding its intellectual property.

Some investors had pinned their hopes on Nokia's large stable of patents generating higher revenue and contributing substantially more to earnings, with many recent buyers of the stock taking a position solely related to the intellectual property portfolio, said a telecommunications analyst, who declined to be named.

In midmorning trading in Helsinki, Nokia's shares had dropped 10% to be at EUR5.92 apiece.

Investor disappointment over the Nokia-Samsung settlement highlights the challenge that telecommunication manufacturers face in getting paid for their intellectual property at a time of stiff competition and consolidation in the cellphone market. In addition, the need to share technology standards has led to friction and legal proceedings between network manufacturers and smartphone makers over the fair use of some technologies.

The deal follows the resolution of a patent dispute between Ericsson AB and Apple Inc., which reached an out-of-court settlement in December. Apple agreed to pay an undisclosed amount plus continuing royalties over seven years to use some of the Swedish company's patents.

Samsung and Microsoft agreed to end a contract dispute a year ago.

Nokia said earlier Monday that an arbitration panel has ruled on how much the South Korean company has to pay as part of their 2013 licensing agreement, but didn't disclose the sum itself.

"The use of independent arbitration to resolve differences in patent cases is a recognized best practice, and we welcome the additional compensation payable to Nokia under the extended agreement," said Nokia Technologies President Ramzi Haidamus.

The Finnish and South Korean companies agreed in November 2013 to a new licensing agreement, extending a previous deal through 2018 that allows them to use each other's patents, thereby lessening the likelihood of lawsuits and related costs.

Nokia was set to receive more compensation from the South Korean company than it received from a previous patent deal, but the Espoo-based Finnish company agreed with Samsung that the exact sum would be decided by arbitration.

Nokia has put its investment in research and development between 1984 and 2014 at more than EUR50 billion, with Nokia Technologies managing a portfolio of 30,000 individual patents and patent applications.

Nokia Technologies expects to report net revenue of around EUR400 million in the fourth quarter of last year and EUR1.02 billion for the full year, Nokia said Monday.

Nokia agreed to sell its mobile handset business to Microsoft Corp. in 2013.
    lech31, morganplus8, W Hoa and 6 others like this.
    02-01-16 02:56 PM
    As the patent wars die down... the perceived value of Patents has greatly fallen. Still can't believe Microsoft paid what they did for Nokia, and it didn't include the Patents. At this point I'm not even sure where the money went......
    02-01-16 03:11 PM
    BlackBerry's Boosted Buyback a Slight Positive - Wells Fargo

BlackBerry announced an increase to its existing share-repurchase program, consisting of an maximum shares to be repurchased to 27 million shares, or 5.8% of the float, up from 12 million, or 2.5% of the float, originally announced in June 2015 and later increased to 15 million in September 2015.

Overall, we view the announcement as a slight positive as it reflects the BlackBerry (ticker: BBRY ) boards view of the current stock valuation as well as confidence in the ability to generate cash flow.

We maintain our Market Perform rating. Our valuation range of $7.25 to $8.00 is based on a sum-of-the-parts methodology (fiscal 2017 estimates).

We believe the business model is still transitioning away from legacy service access fees and T-Support revenue, and while its security, QNX and Internet of Things revenue are growing, visibility to its new-product demand is still low.
    02-01-16 03:37 PM
    http://www.cantechletter.com/2016/02...-says-cormark/
    BlackBerrys odds of success increase greatly if it ditches hardware, says Cormark
    Corbu, rarsen, morganplus8 and 6 others like this.
    02-01-16 04:39 PM
    These analyst are f_-_up. How the do BlackBerry get out of hardware business when so many governments and agencies demanding it.
    Plus they are making money on every device that are sold.

Posted via my PRIV
    02-01-16 05:09 PM
    02-01-16 05:10 PM
    From the Related Technologies file:

Fitness Trackers and Smartwatches Can Put Your Privacy at Risk | Inside BlackBerry
    "Your workout data may seem pretty innocuous, until you imagine an insurance company using it to track your fitness level, and adjust your premiums. If all that personal data isnt stored, accessed and transmitted with high levels of security, you may be increasing your risk for identity theft. As I wrote recently in Forbes, because healthcare information is more personal and permanent than, for example, a credit card account number, a stolen healthcare record is more valuable on the black market. ULs goal, Fernando said, is to begin to raise the bar for how security should be addressedand establish a minimal baseline for what should be addressed, much like we did with electricity 120 years ago. We want to reach the point [of certifying IoT data security] without having to second-guess it. In October, David Kleidermacher, BlackBerrys chief security officer, echoed Fernandos remarks in an interview on CNN. Kleidermacher said IoT device makers must provide a way for consumers, like you or I, to have confidence that theres a way to protect us against cyber security threats. Secure communication is a place where BlackBerry dominates, and its one reason (of many) that I believe BlackBerry will play a key role in wearable health devices. Wearables are changing how we communicate with one another, and I think the road ahead is paved with gold for manufacturers and app makers."
    W Hoa, Corbu, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    02-01-16 05:31 PM
    These analyst are f_-_up. How the do BlackBerry get out of hardware business when so many governments and agencies demanding it.

Posted via my PRIV
    Amen Brother!!
    02-01-16 10:44 PM
    02-02-16 04:22 AM
    Thank you Amber. I hope this causes a nice pop today.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-img_20160202_082725_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    3MIKE, Corbu, La Emperor and 14 others like this.
    02-02-16 07:29 AM
    Reading material.

http://www.iramarketreport.com/capit...td-bbry/35235/

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    02-02-16 07:54 AM
    Apple Inc. in Ottawa: Slicing through the speculation about tech giant?s plans in Canadian capital | Financial Post

...any automobile or automotive platform that Apple might make will only be as good as the software on which it runs. Which brings us back to Ottawa and Marineau-Mes and his former company. QNXs software runs on more than 50 per cent of the automobiles on the road today. Its superiority was responsible for the demise of Microsoft Corp.s much hyped Sync in-car operating system that was primarily associated with Ford.

The people at QNX know what theyre doing, and Apple knows it.
    02-02-16 08:26 AM
    Is there anyone knows BBRY Earning Report date for this 2016?
    I guess first one is around March? I had a difficulty to find it online.
    Much appreciate this!
    02-02-16 08:58 AM
    Much appreciate this!
    Here you go, link below.

http://ca.blackberry.com/company/investors/events.html

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Corbu, 3MIKE, morganplus8 and 3 others like this.
    02-02-16 09:11 AM
    Just a reminder:
    Mobile World Congress | Events

Three weeks from now.
    3MIKE, morganplus8, bbjdog and 7 others like this.
    02-02-16 09:40 AM
    Much appreciate this!
    After a few years asking the same question you really should apply yourself

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-earn.jpgThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-earn2.jpgThe BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-earn3.jpg
    02-02-16 09:44 AM

Posted via my PRIV
    Who is demanding what BlackBerry has, or more importantly how many of them have bought BlackBerry products in the last three years?

If you are looking at hardware cost only, yes they make money on each device sold. If you are looking at all cost - OS Development, App Development, R&D, Support, Marketing.... Chen himself said he needed to move 10 million units with BB10. Granted Chen implement other cost savings after that number.... but I doubt the 2.5 million they were tracking would have been enough Now that BB10 development has been "downsized" and the focus is Android, he wants about 5 Million devices. Breakeven is probably more like 3 million, but no one in business has breakeven as a goal.

Before - BES really depended upon hardware, most of it's licensing still was for BlackBerry hardware (that just how the customer base taught, even if BES was crossplatform). Now - Good doesn't have that same hardware/software bond. This has freed Chen to actually consider an end to HARDWARE...... IF if the great Android experiment fails.

Chen himself has said it was a possibility.... and he knows far more about what the "cost" are than any analyst.
    02-02-16 09:53 AM
    Who is demanding what BlackBerry has, or more importantly how many of them have bought BlackBerry products in the last three years?

Before - BES really depended upon hardware, most of it's licensing still was for BlackBerry hardware (that just how the customer base taught, even if BES was crossplatform). Now - Good doesn't have that same hardware/software bond. This has freed Chen to actually consider an end to HARDWARE...... IF if the great Android experiment fails.

Chen himself has said it was a possibility.... and he knows far more about what the "cost" are than any analyst.

I don't understand what you're saying about GOOD technology. BlackBerry OS will be around if there are demands for end to end encryption which require BES.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    02-02-16 10:10 AM

Posted via my PRIV
    That is just the tip of the iceberg, BlackBerry holds the best keyboard patent in the world, they have the most recognized phone out there today. If you set a Priv, Passport or Classic on the boardroom table, everyone knows you are using a BlackBerry. If you set an iPhone on the table, its a Samsung or .........

Chen knows that he has the infrastructure for a handset in place now. To own that right, he has to maintain the package until such time as his team can come up with a hit. Why on earth would you be so close to knocking the hardware division out of the park and not try to make it work? He won't be dropping anything until he is convinced that BlackBerry cannot produce a product that shakes up the sector. Software companies cannot start a hardware business, that space is too mature now to enter the market, but, a company with BlackBerry's credentials can challenge whats out there and if they succeed, they can grow the company 1,000 times with little downside risk. It is so stupid to think that a short-sighted closing of the hardware business will benefit the company in the long run. Once a small software company always a small software company. For this reason, Chen will not let hardware go, they need to maintain it until they have exhausted all of the possibilities and that's some time away from now.
    02-02-16 10:24 AM
    Good morning folks, I've been pretty MIA lately travelling and work etc. Glad to see we have some positive news on some of our favorite companies. I'm really looking forward to some strong performances this year from sphs,BBRY, and halo as they all have great things in the works and really positive news abounding.

Just want to thank the regulars for keeping us fly by people posted and up-to-date. Yall are an amazing resource for all of us.

Posted via The BlackBerry Priv!
    02-02-16 10:25 AM
    That is just the tip of the iceberg, BlackBerry holds the best keyboard patent in the world, they have the most recognized phone out there today. If you set a Priv, Passport or Classic on the boardroom table, everyone knows you are using a BlackBerry. If you set an iPhone on the table, its a Samsung or .........

Chen knows that he has the infrastructure for a handset in place now. To own that right, he has to maintain the package until such time as his team can come up with a hit. Why on earth would you be so close to knocking the hardware division out of the park and not try to make it work? He won't be dropping anything until he is convinced that BlackBerry cannot produce a product that shakes up the sector. Software companies cannot start a hardware business, that space is too mature now to enter the market, but, a company with BlackBerry's credentials can challenge whats out there and if they succeed, they can grow the company 1,000 times with little downside risk. It is so stupid to think that a short-sighted closing of the hardware business will benefit the company in the long run. Once a small software company always a small software company. For this reason, Chen will not let hardware go, they need to maintain it until they have exhausted all of the possibilities and that's some time away from now.
    Kudos! That's awesome I've been thinking.!

 Priv... cue the comeback!
    OlympusMons likes this.
    02-02-16 10:32 AM
    After a few years asking the same question you really should apply yourself

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earn.JPG 
Views:	1232 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	389972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earn2.JPG 
Views:	1230 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	389973Click image for larger version. 

Name:	earn3.JPG 
Views:	1233 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	389974
    ROFLMAO
    morganplus8, OlympusMons and 3MIKE like this.
    02-02-16 01:08 PM
    Welcome to the spoon fed, brain dead society we live in today!

Q: Why can't I delete BBM from my BlackBerry?
    Q: Why does my phone screen go blank when I turn it off?
    Q: Why can't I install BB10 on my Bold 9900?
    02-02-16 01:35 PM
    Here is the video noted before from amber on the TD analyst call
    http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=800122

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 01:42 PM
107,080 ... 38183819382038213822 ...