View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    In france on the 16st I think; and the rest of the world 2 days later... or something like that.

For once, we'll have it at home before the others... not like Priv
    Exactly. 16th in FR, 17th in the UK and 18th in CAN and USA.
    12-10-15 03:26 PM
    P.P.P.S : if that isn't a perception reversal [Nasdaq News] ...
    Attachment 383885

I didn't read through the whole article ... Georges' approach is weird these days.
    But, guys, who'd ever even think using BlackBerry as a [salvation] example lately in the media ?
    Remember:
    Steve Ballmer thinks the future of Windows Phone is Android?and he may be right | PCWorld
    12-10-15 03:28 PM
    Does anybody want me to read the chart ?

Hmmmm let's see now...

📈😂
    Were the hell did you find your sense of humour. LMAO

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-10-15 03:28 PM
    I just done this.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/read...e-2015-660287/

Posted Via blackberry passport.
    12-10-15 03:30 PM
    I'm not sure if the stories about sell outs are moving the share price but they are certainly a nice validation of the power of Priv. People are more inclined to buy a device that other people want. And scarcity plays into that dynamic as well.

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - BlackBerry Priv Sells Out At Walmart And Best Buy; Stock Rips | Benzinga
    12-10-15 03:41 PM
    Out of button, but thanks Sid ! Also shared on TW
    12-10-15 03:42 PM
    rarsen, 3MIKE, W Hoa and 1 others like this.
    12-10-15 03:52 PM
    12-10-15 03:55 PM
    Thanks Corbu! hard to find Priv in today's date!
    Corbu likes this.
    12-10-15 03:59 PM
    NYC Priv advertising:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/_GTf_pGrN2/
    Last edited by Corbu; 12-10-15 at 04:17 PM.
    12-10-15 04:03 PM
    12-10-15 04:06 PM
    I wonder whose handling the backend of this new payment tech by Walmart.

Yesterday they started selling the Priv... is there a connection? hmmmm...

https://beta.finance.yahoo.com/news/...522.html?ltr=1
    12-10-15 04:14 PM
    Were the hell did you find your sense of humour. LMAO

Probably my French Canadian accent!! Lol
    Corbu, rarsen and bungaboy like this.
    12-10-15 04:52 PM
    I don't know what's going on with XOMA today, I haven't followed it that closely. I'm buying THLD as they have cash of over $ 1.60/shr in the bank. This is why I look for large cash reserves to offset bad results in biotech.
    Wow. Yours are definitely bigger than mine !!!!

I get the whole idea of cash holdings and averaging down, but after last week.....

Posted via CB10
    12-10-15 05:06 PM
    Probably my French Canadian accent!! Lol
    Keep it coming!

Cheers

Last edited by bbjdog; 12-10-15 at 08:47 PM.
    12-10-15 05:19 PM
    Priv love!

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/12/...n-and-spotify/

Corbu, CDM76, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    12-10-15 05:21 PM
    $8.15 in after hours, good strength.

3MIKE, Corbu, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    12-10-15 06:28 PM
    I'm not sure if the stories about sell outs are moving the share price but they are certainly a nice validation of the power of Priv. People are more inclined to buy a device that other people want. And scarcity plays into that dynamic as well.

BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) - BlackBerry Priv Sells Out At Walmart And Best Buy; Stock Rips | Benzinga
    without knowing the number of units they had available, news like that is meaningless
    12-10-15 08:30 PM
    Slighty OT:
    In Belgium, an Encryption Powerhouse Rises - WSJ

University of Leuven has become a battleground in the fight between privacy and surveillance

LEUVEN, Belgium—A 600-year-old Catholic university here has become an unexpected battleground in the fight between privacy advocates and those who think governments and law enforcement need more powerful online surveillance.

Tucked in the woods outside this medieval town in Dutch-speaking Flanders, the electrical-engineering department of Katholieke Universiteit Leuven is home to the Computer Security and Industrial Cryptography group, or COSIC. Led by Bart Preneel, a cryptography professor and outspoken privacy stalwart, the group has grown over the last 15 years into one of the world’s top research centers for digital encryption.

Mr. Preneel is considered a hero by privacy advocates who see encryption as a way of keeping out the prying eye of governments and police. His center is hardly a household name in Silicon Valley circles, but it is widely regarded as one of the world’s best at coming up with, building and testing encryption tools.

Dan Boneh, who heads the applied cryptography group at Stanford University’s computer-science department, calls Leuven a “powerhouse of cryptography.”

But critics see Mr. Preneel and some of his work at Leuven as a threat, worried that today’s explosion of readily accessible encryption software is making it harder for law enforcement and governments to thwart or track down perpetrators of crime and terror.

“A vibrant academic cryptographic community is to be welcomed,” says David Omand, a former head of GCHQ, the U.K.’s equivalent to the National Security Agency. “But academics have to be aware of the need to act responsibly when their discoveries can lead to harm.”

Mr. Preneel bristles at characterizations that he is somehow working at cross purposes with law enforcement or governments.

“I’m not of the WikiLeaks principle that everything should be open,” he said in a recent interview, referring to the group that has published reams of classified government documents in recent years. “Governments need to do some things in secret. On the other hand, citizens need to be able to do some things in secret legitimately.”

Encryption, which protects online communication and data from being intercepted, has become a key component of today’s digital economy. It is also a crucial safeguard against hacking for a growing number of gadgets, from cellphones to cars. But government intelligence agencies and law-enforcement officials fear sophisticated encryption can get in the way of detecting and preventing crime and terrorism.

Governments and corporations, meanwhile, have sought to develop or buy the best encryption around to protect their own secrets or products. Some of them have come to Mr. Preneel for help.

His labs are partly self-financed, with the rest coming from the university and the Belgian government. Packed with hardware and laptop-wielding students in jeans and sneakers, they develop new encryption for corporate clients, or test their in-house antihacking technology.

“They’ll give me the protocol and say ‘break it,’” Mr. Preneel says. “Sometimes I will.”

Some clients are longer term, others come for specific issues. The lab has done work for Dutch chip giant NXP Semiconductors NV, Sony Corp. and Unilever Group PLC, he says. NXP confirmed its work with Leuven. Sony and Unilever didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Mr. Preneel said Intel Corp. is partly funding his lab’s research into how to shield different apps on a smartphone so that they can’t steal data from each other, or siphon off data from the phone’s user. Intel didn’t respond to requests for comment.

His department’s work extends well outside the lab. A special privacy team is currently advising the Belgian government’s data-protection authority in a high-profile court case targeting Facebook Inc.’s privacy policies. KU Leuven researchers pored through the social network’s code and found that it tracked nonmembers through cookies, a practice a Belgian court has ordered Facebook to stop. Facebook says the cookie in question is used only for securing the profiles of its users against attacks from untrustworthy sites hijacked by hackers.

KU Leuven ranks as the world’s oldest Catholic university still in existence. It was founded in 1425 by Pope Martin V, to teach law, medicine and the liberal arts. Up until the early 20th century, most of its funding came from the Catholic church in Belgium, though now it comes from the Belgian state and private grants.

The department of electrical engineering was established in 1900, and the cryptography group was founded in 1979. Mr. Preneel, who grew up in Leuven, joined the group in 1987 as a Ph.D. student. After a stint at the University of California at Berkeley, he came back to Leuven as and assistant professor and hasn’t left since.

In 2001, two of the university’s graduates created what is known as the Rijndael cipher, a cryptography system that has become known as the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), the most widely used method to encrypt data in the world.

Mr. Preneel’s groups include students and Ph.D.’s working in fields like hardware cryptography, crypto algorithms and cloud-data encryption. Another team tests encryption protecting chip-enabled passports, SIM cards and other forms of digital identification.

There is also a small team hacking medical devices like insulin pumps and pacemakers to make them more secure. In one of the group’s labs on a recent afternoon, a team of students inspected a microchip with the help of an antenna and a microscope, searching for encryption codes transmitted over the chip’s minuscule electrical currents.

Apart from supervising his lab, Mr. Preneel has become an outspoken advocate of privacy. He has take specific aim at the NSA and the U.K.’s GCHQ. Documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden implicated both organizations of widespread, undisclosed interception of data. The two agencies have said they work within the bounds of their countries’ laws.

“This is power the likes of which government has never had,” Mr. Preneel said. “Once you have this power, why would you give it up?”
    12-10-15 09:19 PM
    without knowing the number of units they had available, news like that is meaningless
    How many times have we heard this tired response? Of course we can speculate as to whether Walmart and Best Buy had 3 units or 30 thousand units, or more, or less, between them. But if you know Walmart, or Best Buy, you would be foolish to dismiss the news with such a flippant, and trite, comment.
    sidhuk, Corbu, kadakn01 and 10 others like this.
    12-10-15 11:03 PM
    How many times have we heard this tired response? Of course we can speculate as to whether Walmart and Best Buy had 3 units or 30 thousand units, or more, or less, between them. But if you know Walmart, or Best Buy, you would be foolish to dismiss the news with such a flip, and meaningless, comment.
    LOL. I ll say that wal mart went trough all the trouble to set up a Web page for 100 units. Big profit for world's largest retailer. The person who convinced Wal mart to do this should win Time magazine's person of the year award. LMAO

Corbu, La Emperor, zlatno and 6 others like this.
    12-10-15 11:11 PM
    LOL. I ll say that wal mart went trough all the trouble to set up a Web page for 100 units. Big profit for world's largest retailer. The person who convinced Wal mart to do this should win Time magazine's person of the year award. LMAO

Walmart sells millions of products. It's not special effort to add a product. They have several products that barely sell; adding a product to an existing catalog is negligible/trivial effort.

But I don't disagree with your larger point. Which is a big retailer like Walmart is not going to keep just like 5 units. Their minimum stock (for online orders) would have to be a few hundred units at the least.

I imagine for walmart.com (online store), they'd be receiving similar number of units as Amazon.com. If Amazon gets (say) 500 units at a time, I imagine Walmart must get similar #.

It is also possible that Walmart, Amazon might be distributing Priv on consignment basis. That is, they aren't buying any devices from BlackBerry in advance. They are just stocking a certain # of units and they pay BlackBerry only when those are sold. If not, they don't buy them from BlackBerry.

Z10 write-off was a similar situation. This distributor (brightstar or what was it's name?) agreed to stock 1 million Z10 on consignment basis. If unsold, they don't buy them from BlackBerry. Which is what happened. Z10s didn't sell and BlackBerry was stuck with 1 million-ish Z10 they had set aside for this company. They were sure 1 million z10 would easily sell.

BlackBerry wouldn't have had to do a write-off if this distributor had outright purchased devices from BlackBerry. Then regardless of whether or not these devices get sold to end-customers, BlackBerry would have already received their money.

I don't know if Walmart is also carrying devices in-store. They must be though as they are dealers for ATT and ATT carries Priv. So, ATT section of Walmart physical stores must have Priv too.

Posted via CB10
    zlatno likes this.
    12-10-15 11:32 PM
    It's Walmart Pay backed up BB prob caused the spike..otherwise prev sold outs did not **** to BBRY
    12-11-15 12:52 AM
    Let's go for a positive media ride in the waiting of E.R

BlackBerry's Successful Move From Survival To Revival - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

On Thursday, December 10th there were various reports circulating that BlackBerry's Priv smartphone was out of stock on Walmart's and Best Buy's websites indicating significant consumer interest.
    The increased demand in the Priv may put BlackBerry in position to deliver positive EPS in Q4 FY16 as compared to analyst estimates of a loss of 11 cents per.
    I believe investors should buy now before the herd finds out about BlackBerry's successful move from survival to revival as this once successful company becomes profitable once again.
    About this
    On Thursday, December 10th there were various reports circulating that BlackBerry's Priv smartphone was out of stock on Walmart's and BestBuy's websites. Although, actual handset volume sales are unknown I expect BlackBerry's Q4 smartphone sales will increase substantially over Q2 and Q3 levels. The increased demand in the Priv may put BlackBerry in position to deliver positive EPS in Q4 FY16 as compared to analyst estimates of a loss of 11 cents per share.
    What is interesting is that no one seems to sight BB10 sales (in either direction). What I observed is that there has been no massive discount (besides black Friday and usual promotions) and this fixes one of my biggest fear, so that I expect BB10 sales to be at least even with previous quarters. Interesting ...

P.S : as mentioned here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lmart-1053500/
    appears that Priv is in in good company in several Brick&Mortar places ... Still wondering what customers (re-) attracted to the brand by Priv will do once ahead of the glorious Passport SE ... 7 days ...

More ...

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2977666...ls-out-of-priv
    BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) has surged on volume of 10.1M shares, soundly above a 3-month daily average of 6.3M. Possibly helping: Wal-Mart's site indicates BlackBerry's Priv Android phone is out of stock.

BlackBerry began shipping the Priv, 5.4" display, QWERTY keyboard, Google Android, and all, to decent reviews in early November. The phone has sold in the U.S. for a steep unsubsidized price of $700.
    Today's gains come ahead of BlackBerry's Dec. 18 FQ3 report. With 78.7M shares (15% of the float) shorted as of Nov. 30, short-covering could be helping.

Have a great day gang, I have to focus a bit more on paying work today
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 12-11-15 at 03:11 AM.
    12-11-15 02:59 AM
    If they're saying 100 000 were sold, which are a lot of estimates, I say that today is going to be another rally to bbry stock, especially since it jumped 20 cents in after hours and it's hard to budge.

'it all started with the  Priv...'
    12-11-15 05:43 AM
113,256 ... 37233724372537263727 ...