View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.77%
  • No

411 37.23%
    Is Marty trying to titillate or enrage.
    Haha probably a little of both! Just as an aside, it's always been curious to me why the COO bothers with a twitter account in the first place, let alone one with 2,000 followers. I guess it's just for fun?

It's interesting to speculate on whether the PRIV buzz or anticipation is having an effect on the stock recently. Obviously just my opinion, but I get the sense that there is a void of information which is leading the stock staying at these levels and at below average volumes. By that I mean, there's just so much that is not public knowledge that we will know soon: carrier support/release, marketing approach or lack thereof, possible relationship with Google, general attitude of BlackBerry towards this device. Will they make a serious push with this phone, signalling for higher risk and reward? Will they be cautious, signalling lower reward potential, but also lower risk? I go back and forth on what their strategy is here; I guess I'm hoping it's somewhere in the middle; call it a calculated risk or moderate risk, with some potential to adapt in either direction as time goes on. I think I fear most that they won't take any risk, with respect to inventories, marketing budget, overall commitment to standing behind the phone, and potentially squander an opportunity. It's quite interesting right now though, because this stock could be ready to move both from a TA standpoint and potential material news standpoint. We'll see soon.
    10-29-15 10:38 PM
    OT:
    Hacking of ?Unregulated Data? Poses Big Risk to Firms - Risk & Compliance - WSJ

When Sony Pictures Entertainment was hacked last year, some of the most damaging data released were emails revealing movie scripts, gossip and personal details on Hollywood stars, as well as discussions about internal investigations into potential corporate wrongdoing.

And when hackers in China targeted health insurer Anthem Inc.ANTM -0.32% earlier this year, they sought to learn how U.S. companies set up medical coverage, the Financial Times reported, citing efforts by Beijing to beef up its knowledge on health systems.

In both cases, personal information was leaked, but most of each breach involved corporate data that isn’t typically the focus of companies’ most stringent compliance efforts. Personal information is generally regulated from a data-breach perspective, meaning it’s covered by notification laws, whereas corporate data, which also include things such as contractual obligations, terms of use with customers or product specifications, are seen as “unregulated” because they aren’t subject to the same notification requirements.

But the consequences for companies suffering from a leak of “unregulated data” shows how those incidents can also present major risks.

“When you’re building and designing a privacy system, it’s not just the regulated data we read about in the newspapers that’s of concern to businesses,” said Charles Marshall, an attorney with Brooks Pierce.

Experts are divided on how to handle securing unregulated data.

Mr. Marshall said companies should have a grasp on their entire data landscape before determining what to protect. “Companies treat data differently,” he said. “The bottom line is they shouldn’t be.”

However, Don Keller, a partner in the corporate governance practice at PwC, said, “We don’t feel all data [are] the same.”

“We believe there needs to be a hierarchy of the value” of data a company stores, said Mr. Keller, meaning some data should be behind tougher walls than other data.

The experts agreed, though, that firms that don’t protect unregulated data properly run the risk of damaged reputations, lawsuits from customers or worse.

“If companies are ill-prepared and making it up on the fly, it becomes obvious to many,” said Charles Beard, a cybersecurity expert at PwC.

Mr. Marshall suggested that companies conduct a privacy assessment to determine exactly what data they collect and what leakage could cause the most damage.

“If you’re singularly focused on regulated data and [you] still have a breach of unregulated data, it’s too late,” he said.

A company’s response to a breach of unregulated data would “differ substantially depending on what you fear someone got their hands on,” said Mr. Keller.

Companies dealing with a breach of “unregulated data” may not have to notify customers of a breach in a timely manner, said Mr. Beard, but they may still want to disclose it quickly, based on suggestions he cited from the Federal Trade Commission.

“The FTC is saying that if a company has specific information that its systems may not have been secure and they didn’t disclose it, they may be committing a deceptive practice,” said Mr. Beard.

Joseph DeMarco, a cybersecurity attorney, said a company needs lawyers at the forefront of its data-security strategies, because it’s lawyers — judges, regulators or class-action attorneys — who will judge a company on its cybersecurity.

“If a corporation or an organization faces a [cyber] event, they won’t be judge by MIT experts or by consultants, but by lawyers,” he said.
    10-29-15 11:01 PM
    Morgan Stanley

James E. Faucette

October 29, 2015

MobileIron

Running at a Better Pace, but Still Uphill

MobileIron reported in-line results in Q3, with management changes made during the year translating to better expense management and forecasting. While the business is now running more effectively, MOBL faces an increasingly difficult competitive environment, challenging growth.

Value proposition for technology leader becomes more difficult as competitors increasingly bundle. Our checks indicate MobileIron is generally acknowledged to have the best EMM solution in the space. Designed to give the most secure (while native) experience, the customer feedback we hear is overwhelmingly positive. However, they are one of the last standalone EMM solutions in a space that increasingly bundles their solutions (e.g. Microsoft, IBM, VMware, Citrix, Cisco). While MobileIron's value proposition to these customers is stronger, they are increasingly having to drown out larger sales forces that not only have more relationships, but are able to make the cost of the competing solution look much cheaper (if not free). The strength of competitors is likely to only grow (e.g. BlackBerry acquiring Good, Microsoft having the opportunity to be in front of customers with Office365/Windows 10 migrations), leaving MobileIron is an increasingly difficult position.

After management changes earlier in the year, results become more consistent. MobileIron reported in-line Q3 results Thursday ($37.7mm/($0.17) vs. our expectation of $37.6mm/($0.19)). Management changes made earlier in the year (e.g. CFO, SVP Worldwide Sales) have helped the company become more disciplined and focused, demonstrated by the better expense management and predictability of Q3's results. Also helping predictability was the mix of billings continuing to shift towards recurring (~66%). Given the combination of business models (e.g. perpetual, subscription, monthly subscription), the company continues to believe that the underlying growth of the model is best represented by the growth in recurring billings (+35% Y/Y vs. 7% for gross). However, given the recurring billings include maintenance from perpetual licenses, we think the number likely overstates real growth.

Adjusting estimates slightly. Given we view the EMM space as increasingly competitive, particularly for standalone vendors, we are lowering our revenue estimates slightly. However, given the improved cost management of the company, we are lowering opex, essentially negating the impact of the lower revenue. Our revised Q4 and 2016 estimates are now $40.6mm/($0.13) and $157.3mm/($0.43) (from $40.5mm/($0.14) and $164mm/($0.44) respectively).

Remain EW with $7PT; however, increasingly we believe value will only be achieved with industry consolidation activity. While MobileIron remains a technology leader in our checks, we remain EW as the path forward becomes increasingly difficult the concentrating competitive landscape. We think valuation is limited to ~2.5x EV/16e rev for the foreseeable future given those concerns (which could likely be realized in a takeout). Reacceleration in growth rates or getting closer to breakeven could make us more positive on the name.
    10-29-15 11:37 PM
    OT but related !

Don't know if this has been posted before but it's interesting they don't mention BlackBerry. Than again could a BlackBerry phone be subject to this kind of hack ?

Awfully glad BB10 has built-in flashlight app. Wonder if priv will too ?

Posted via CB10
    bbjdog and 3MIKE like this.
    10-30-15 12:09 AM
    I think it's a headfake. Operating expenses are going up faster than revs...and what's that almost $50M short term investment about? Normally this would be safe, but moving more than half your cash when you don't have that much left should raise some eyebrows..., but who knows, maybe it's all AAPL stock according to some prearranged agreement or something. (I'm kidding, I think)

Posted via CB10
    I completely agree, the numbers suck when you dig deep but the headline numbers are good and guidance is good and there is zero retail in this stock so the pros, MS dummies, like that, will drag it up to pump and dump.

They have 5 quarters worth of cash assuming they continue to build revenues and scale the business to save dollars per client uptake (they should see declines in their burn rate next year, something like BB chasing down expenses when revenues start to decline). I think the whole thing is flawed and expect them to guide lower within two quarters from now. Let's see what happens later today.
    zlatno, theRock1975, 3MIKE and 9 others like this.
    10-30-15 12:29 AM
    That's over 3 quarters, right, not one?

But isn't blackberry investing $425M in cash this quarter to increase revenue by about $40M a quarter? Not exactly the same thing, of course.

Is the burn rate at least improving? If not, that's obviously a big problem.
    Please see my other message regarding their burn rate, I see it tapering off as they realize on cost reductions on slower revenue growth so they will likely reduce top line and bottom line costs and try to preserve unit sales margins .... to stay in business longer. This is a buy-out company and nothing more but I still see 5 quarters. Today, they are worth $ 400 MM - $ 425 MM if you need to own them now, I wouldn't touch them until it's clear they are running out of cash and need a hand out. BlackBerry isn't that black and white, they have real synergies with Good, there are cost savings and a complimentary suite of products to take to enterprise, you can quickly grow that kind of business and it doesn't take so much effort to mesh the two together. The other thing is the tax benefits of that deal. You are right, the burn rate improves for the wrong reasons and that is why I give them two more quarters. The final phase will be to reduce costs and preserve capital.
    10-30-15 12:41 AM
    Hi everybody. I've been watching this closely as it's going to make a move in one direction or another soon. I thought that day might have been Monday but it got sucked back in to the downtrend.

I'm posting my chart that I drew a few weeks ago. This will give you an idea why I sold when I did. It hasn't gone down as fast as I had expected. I thought it would drop down ahead of the Priv release and pop after but the reviews and hype seem to be propping it. It's been skating along the 20-EMA and a support/resistance area for the last 2+ weeks now but still heading slightly lower. This does bode well for a breakout as the RSI is nestled right in the middle but it's getting tight here so I'm still in a wait and see holding pattern.

Anyway, here it is. I welcome any insight from the more experienced (Morgan, JLagoon) as I love learning and seeing things in a different way.

Attachment 378100
    CJ - Don't short change your ability here, I agree with everything in that chart! I see us breaking up because of the onside volume and the markets as a whole. I think we are in for a strong rally in the months ahead and BBRY will get dragged along with it. Further, they have stated that we have seen a bottom in revenue declines (some fundamentals for yeah ...) and if this shows up in Q3, we will see a major rally. The Priv uptake could surprise us too. The final point I would make is that volume, at the close we had a 20:1 buy ratio supporting the stock at the 50-dma and that is unseen of before today. I think strong money is shifting into BBRY, just my take on it. Thanks for the detailed charts!
    10-30-15 12:48 AM
    10-30-15 01:16 AM
    People
    Buying stocks doesnt help Blackberry, thats useless. What really help is buying devices and other oficial products to give them profit.
    sorry for my english
    10-30-15 04:27 AM
    http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/a...lackberry-priv

Ps : sidhuk if this times down again I don't what to say lol
    10-30-15 04:59 AM
    I can tell you IT Consultant / Professionals in Canada certainly know it's coming are they are excited about it. Those that have an Android will switch to this for the Keyboard and the Blackberry nostalgia. Those on iPhone may well come back because there are many who still want a great phone with a great PKB. Those who say people are now used to VKB and no one is buying a PKB is because there haven't been, in their mind, any good PKB phones (excluding the app gap BB10s). I think this could be a good ride. Just need the Priv to beat out the S6 as the top rated phone

I really hope you are right.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 06:37 AM
    10-30-15 07:27 AM
    It looks like somebody is in a classroom of some sort.

#BBFactCheck
    10-30-15 07:44 AM
    Awfully glad BB10 has built-in flashlight app. Wonder if priv will too ?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I use the built-in flashlight to and wonder the same thing about the PRIV.

Looking in BBW some apps are big, maybe to big for the purpose ??
    10-30-15 07:55 AM
    Still, people want to know about the front facing camera. It's hard to believe that one item will likely have a negative consequence to some consumers. But maybe a bigger front camera was just too deep to keep the phone that thin?

Maybe that will be an easy upgrade in 6 months, apple style...
    The PrivS with a industry leading innovative 5mp front camera!

But seriously, it's the world we live in now, people expectations are actually more demanding on a better device. They think if it has everything else really great, then that one item should have been great too.

I hope this thing does well. I might have to shelf my passport if I try it and the hub is just as great and I get used to the narrow screen.

Posted via CB10
    Mr BBRY and CDM76 like this.
    10-30-15 08:01 AM
    Still, people want to know about the front facing camera. It's hard to believe that one item will likely have a negative consequence to some consumers. But maybe a bigger front camera was just too deep to keep the phone that thin?

But seriously, it's the world we live in now, people expectations are actually more demanding on a better device. They think if it has everything else really great, then that one item should have been great too.

I hope this thing does well. I might have to shelf my passport if I try it and the hub is just as great and I get used to the narrow screen.

Posted via CB10
    If someone else's device can do it, then yeah your top of the line device had better do it too. Samsung is rushing out the Galaxy S7 due to lower than expected sales of the S6 & S6 Edge, with the hope that their own version of "force touch" will help them to compete better against the iPhone 6S. Getting all the right features together on a device is a tricking thing....

But I don't think the market that will be buying the PRIV is going to change their mind because of a front camera. And so far the HUB does look pretty good.
    10-30-15 08:27 AM
    10-30-15 08:29 AM
    People
    Buying stocks doesnt help Blackberry, thats useless. What really help is buying devices and other oficial products to give them profit.
    sorry for my english
    welcome aboard jotajoh !
    Well, we've been debating about this for over 4 years now ...
    Let's sum up : that's a confidence and involvement act, as in putting words (we support), acts (we buy devices) and money (we invest in BBRY) together !
    That's not useless, as a whole. And that's what we do !
    Corbu, zlatno, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    10-30-15 08:38 AM

BlackBerry priv unboxing
    OlympusMons, Corbu, lech31 and 9 others like this.
    10-30-15 08:50 AM
    Does anyone know if the Blackberry software keyboard for Android will be available to the Priv device only or all Android devices?

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 09:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    Shelf the Passport?!? I can't believe that you are even thinking about that. This new PRIV device must really be something...
    10-30-15 09:09 AM

BlackBerry priv unboxing
    Something about a Babe holding a Blackberry device in her hands...
    10-30-15 09:13 AM
    lech31, rarsen, Mr BBRY and 1 others like this.
    10-30-15 09:35 AM
    The iPhone and Chinese mid-tier phones with great specs are squeezing the margins of traditional Android OEMs. Samsung, LG, HTC, Lenovo(Motorola) and Sony, all reported weak results.
    This is the worst moment to be an Android OEM.
    10-30-15 10:00 AM
    The iPhone and Chinese mid-tier phones with great specs are squeezing the margins of traditional Android OEMs. Samsung, LG, HTC, Lenovo(Motorola) and Sony, all reported weak results.
    This is the worst moment to be an Android OEM.
    Or the best moment to be the most secure android OEM

Posted via CB10
    10-30-15 10:18 AM
104,881 ... 36443645364636473648 ...