View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

693 62.66%
  • No

413 37.34%
    Here is the official explanation. The short of it is that they won't see much of anything this quarter aside from Shop-BlackBerry sales and deliveries I guess:

Revenue Recognition

The Company recognizes revenue as earned when the following four criteria have been met: (i) when persuasive evidence of an arrangement exists, (ii) the product has been delivered to a customer and title has been transferred or the services have been rendered, (iii) the sales price is fixed or determinable, and (iv) collection is reasonably assured. In addition to this general policy, the following paragraphs describe the specific revenue recognition policies for each of the Company’s major categories of revenue.

Hardware

Revenue for hardware products is recognized when the four criteria noted above are met. The determination of when the price is fixed or determinable can affect the timing of revenue recognition, as discussed further below.

The Company records reductions to revenue for estimated commitments related to price protection, rights of return and customer incentive programs. Price protection is accrued as a reduction to revenue provided that (i) the future price reduction can be reliably estimated or based on contractual caps, (ii) the Company has not granted refunds in excess of those caps, and (iii) all other revenue recognition criteria have been met. If refunds cannot be reliably estimated or the contractual cap is no longer valid, revenue is not recognized until reliable estimates can be made or the price protection period lapses. The Company also records reductions to revenue for rights of return based on contractual terms and conditions as it relates to quality defects only and, if the expected product returns can be reasonably and reliably estimated, based on historical experience. Where a right of return cannot be reasonably and reliably estimated, the Company recognizes revenue when the product sells through to an end user or the return period lapses. The estimated cost of customer incentive programs is accrued as a reduction to revenue and is recognized at the later of the date at which the Company has recognized the revenue or the date at which the program is offered. If historical experience cannot support a breakage rate, the maximum rebate amount is accrued and adjusted when the incentive programs end. The Company considers several factors in determining whether it can reliably estimate future refunds or customer incentives such as levels of channel inventory, new competitor introductions, the stage of a product in the product life cycle, and potential cannibalization by future product offerings. If there is a risk of future pricing concessions and a reliable estimate cannot be made at the time of shipment, the Company recognizes the related revenue and costs of goods sold when its products are sold through to an end user.

For shipments where the Company recognizes revenue when the product is sold through to an end user, the Company determines the point at which that happens based upon internally generated reporting indicating when the devices are activated on the Company’s relay infrastructure.

Significant judgment is applied by the Company to determine whether shipments of devices have met the Company’s revenue recognition criteria, as the analysis is dependent on many facts and circumstances. Commencing in fiscal 2016,"
    So essentially when the phone is on the BlackBerry infrastructure, it is recognized as revenue at that point. So if there is carrier availability in November, there would be additional revenue since the quarter ends at the end of November. Am I missing something?
    10-27-15 09:43 AM
    10-27-15 09:51 AM
    So essentially when the phone is on the BlackBerry infrastructure, it is recognized as revenue at that point. So if there is carrier availability in November, there would be additional revenue since the quarter ends at the end of November. Am I missing something?
    As long as it sells to end consumers. BlackBerry has been doing it this way for a bit now. Once the phone is activated by the end user it is recognized as revenue.

BTW, still no position yet. Been eyeing the SP all morning though just haven't pulled the trigger. Chen seems confident revenues have bottomed so there may be another licensing deal of some sort. I'm a bit concerned about COH post GOOD acquisition especially if the Priv does not do well for the quarter reporting in December. I've been a bit too cautious though lately and BBRY seems ready for a move up on volume I'm thinking. The way things are playing out, I can now more likely see an eventual buy out from Google depending, especially with their car development and QNX. Now security on Android, etc. Lots of possibilities here.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 09:57 AM
    The end-user is the consumer not the carrier. BlackBerry can't recognize the revenue until the consumer has the phone in their hands or the risk of return, for whatever reason, (defects, discounts), are accounted for. You are thinking about distribution into the channels and that is something that BB can't apply due to such small volumes. Apple does this because they are able to predict that a very high percentage of the product stuffed into the channel will be sold and a very low percentage of that inventory will be returned as defects or unwanted product. For BB, we sell so few handsets that a return, a discount or a defect makes a big difference in our revenues. BB has made their policy clear, they only count handsets sold to the customer as sold while taking charges for handsets that are out there and at risk of a defect, discount or outright contractual return. As business gets slow, the cost of handsets goes up as the risks gets higher per handset outstanding and not sold. When revenues begin to stabilize, BB will be able to go to the Apple version of revenue recognition. I would assume that Apple have few conditions written into their carrier agreements versus BB. BB owns ShopBB so they know when a phone has been paid for and shipped thus they can complete the transaction prior to the end of this quarter. As soon as BB knows there is no further liability with a Priv phone, they will add that value to revenue from their carriers. It is important to get the product out there for the next Q not so much this one as we want a full Q of sales in the pipeline.
    10-27-15 10:00 AM
    As long as it sells to end consumers. BlackBerry has been doing it this way for a bit now. Once the phone is activated by the end user it is recognized as revenue.

BTW, still no position yet. Been eyeing the SP all morning though just haven't pulled the trigger. Chen seems confident revenues have bottomed so there may be another licensing deal of some sort. I'm a bit concerned about COH post GOOD acquisition especially if the Priv does not do well for the quarter reporting in December. I've been a bit too cautious though lately and BBRY seems ready for a move up on volume I'm thinking. The way things are playing out, I can now more likely see an eventual buy out from Google depending, especially with their car development and QNX. Now security on Android, etc. Lots of possibilities here.

Posted via CB10
    Get with the program lol...dont want to be asking yourself 'what-if' or have 'non-buyers remorse' like you did when the price was at $6 :cheers:

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    10-27-15 10:03 AM
    Get with the program lol...dont want to be asking yourself 'what-if' or have 'non-buyers remorse' like you did when the price was at $6 :cheers:

BBM Channel: C002165D3 Tour 9630 > Bold 9650 > Q10 > Playbook > Classic AND Passport SE!!!
    Haha, you remember that. Was waiting and waiting for 5.99 and it hits the one week in 5 years I go on a cruise lol. Should have had an order in, but you are right. I'm over that now though (finally) and not too concerned with the exact price I get in since I'll play it long-term most likely.

My confidence in BBRY has diminished a bit, but prob just subconsciously looking strictly at hardware and some of Chen's unscripted words lol. All in all, I still see BBRY as severely undervalued but what do I know.

The only thing I really learned from this thread and opening a TDAm account is that the stock market can be an easy money maker and it is extremely manipulated and full of corruption.

I like trading BBRY only because I know so much now about everything going on within the company (from calling in during earnings, etc.) than I do any other company. Am now just looking to buy a small block for the long haul.

:-)

Posted via CB10
    ZayDub likes this.
    10-27-15 10:18 AM
    The end-user is the consumer not the carrier. BlackBerry can't recognize the revenue until the consumer has the phone in their hands or the risk of return, for whatever reason, (defects, discounts), are accounted for. You are thinking about distribution into the channels and that is something that BB can't apply due to such small volumes. Apple does this because they are able to predict that a very high percentage of the product stuffed into the channel will be sold and a very low percentage of that inventory will be returned as defects or unwanted product. For BB, we sell so few handsets that a return, a discount or a defect makes a big difference in our revenues. BB has made their policy clear, they only count handsets sold to the customer as sold while taking charges for handsets that are out there and at risk of a defect, discount or outright contractual return. As business gets slow, the cost of handsets goes up as the risks gets higher per handset outstanding and not sold. When revenues begin to stabilize, BB will be able to go to the Apple version of revenue recognition. I would assume that Apple have few conditions written into their carrier agreements versus BB. BB owns ShopBB so they know when a phone has been paid for and shipped thus they can complete the transaction prior to the end of this quarter. As soon as BB knows there is no further liability with a Priv phone, they will add that value to revenue from their carriers. It is important to get the product out there for the next Q not so much this one as we want a full Q of sales in the pipeline.
    Thanks for the explanation. I do understand that the end-user is the consumer not the carrier. I think I was missing some of the nuance surrounding the charges for returns, defects, discounts, etc. I will try to wrap my head around it. Appreciate it
    morganplus8 likes this.
    10-27-15 10:24 AM
    Anyone at all concerned about the earnings report for this quarter ending in November? Not sure how the "analysts" may interpret it. Rev may be up slightly, but Priv should be mostly a non-factor and with this I also am expecting BB10 sales to have taken a hit as well as the Good closing reducing COH.

I'm just going to guess if guidance is for higher revenue for the next quarter then this may all be irrelevant. Hoping the Priv sells while software still ramps up. I feel like this is a good move to buy time and possibly resurrect BlackBerry hardware. Hate the name Priv tremendously and the marketing thus far, but I think more will come with the official release with reviews on 11/6.

Just some thoughts looking ahead.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 10:47 AM
    10-27-15 10:53 AM
    Anyone at all concerned about the earnings report for this quarter ending in November? Not sure how the "analysts" may interpret it. Rev may be up slightly, but Priv should be mostly a non-factor and with this I also am expecting BB10 sales to have taken a hit as well as the Good closing reducing COH.

I'm just going to guess if guidance is for higher revenue for the next quarter then this may all be irrelevant. Hoping the Priv sells while software still ramps up. I feel like this is a good move to buy time and possibly resurrect BlackBerry hardware. Hate the name Priv tremendously and the marketing thus far, but I think more will come with the official release with reviews on 11/6.

Posted via CB10
    GOOD closing = added revenue. license deal (hopefully) = added revenue. Probably see some increase rev from QNX auto. Some Priv rev hopefully more than enough to offset decline in BB10 rev (I'll guess 600K BB10 down from 800K). If Chen is confident revenue has bottomed then I definitely expect to see a license IP deal for about $50-100M.
    10-27-15 11:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Don't think Good is closing in this quarter..?
    10-27-15 12:46 PM
    BlackBerry expects the transaction to be completed toward the end of the company’s 2016 fiscal third quarter and is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals. The company anticipates the acquisition to be accretive to earnings and cash flow within the first year after closing. BlackBerry also expects to realize approximately $160 million in GAAP revenue from Good in the first year, including the impact of an expected write-down of certain deferred revenue of Good.
    10-27-15 01:11 PM
    I don't recall if Priv on Bell has already been confirmed in this thread. If so, apologies:

10-27-15 02:04 PM
    I'm really surprised how low the SP is staying given some of the Priv leaks. Smart money doesn't think this phone is going to sell and make a profit?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-27-15 02:16 PM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I'm really surprised how low the SP is staying given some of the Priv leaks. Smart money doesn't think this phone is going to sell and make a profit?
    I agree I am shocked also ... Ceo Chen must prove skeptics wrong and make good on his forecast of revenue growth moving foreward from this quarter onwards , and PRIV must be a winner for them... delicate balance on how to price that phone....

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 02:25 PM
    Not sure if that's smart money or people waiting to see what BlackBerry do to sell it. If it's just released without so much as a puff of smoke like the last five phones, that might make people nervous.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    10-27-15 02:28 PM
    We have a buyers freeze going on due to AAPL earnings tonight. Remember, they invented the mobile phone so it matters what is happening to them. Let's see those numbers.

PS: Just bought 10,000 at $ 7.00 even so now I have to be right! LOL
    10-27-15 02:30 PM
    We have a buyers freeze going on due to AAPL earnings tonight. Remember, they invented the mobile phone so it matters what is happening to them. Let's see those numbers.

That's good to know! Was wondering how come it went down today

Posted with a Red Passport
    10-27-15 02:40 PM

Holy **** man! Good luck!!

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and morganplus8 like this.
    10-27-15 02:40 PM

I replied earlier, but just checked my account and guess what?... I'm in now. Didn't think my order would hit and a bit concerned why we are down so much today on nothing.

Time for some good news. Will be a long-term hold so now I'm excited again about BlackBerry which is always good :-)

Hopefully the Priv does well. As with all BlackBerry devices, this one will be about awareness. While the company is moving towards software, the Priv is needed for time and could be a huge boost if it sells better than expected as you all know.

Please no more "It runs the Google" from our CEO lol. Looking forward to the roller coaster that is BBRY. I've been liking the institutional ownership increasing along with the decrease in short interest and really hope I didn't just buy into a downtrend! Let's hold 7 and move up on some good volume!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 03:24 PM
    Good explanation of how and when BlackBerry counts a device as a sale.

Only ShopBB isn't owned by BlackBerry so not sure if sales get counted any differently for Digital River who runs ShopBlackBerry.

I agree, getting the phones into the market ASAP is the most important thing right now.... March will come soon enough to fill in the blanks on sales. Big problem is some of the major markets like Verizon in the US might not even get counted then.
    10-27-15 03:44 PM
    That's good to know! Was wondering how come it went down today

Posted with a Red Passport
    <Conspiracy theory> The shorts have made agreements with enough high profile reviewers that they will nitpick at anything that can be nitpicked at and will put as many 'cons' on the 'cons' list as they can. Then their paid media shills will be ready to hammer the launch and refer to these high profile reviews and bring on stories of "this was blackberry's last shot and they already blew it....bankruptcy is imminent".
    </Conspiracy theory>
    sidhuk, La Emperor, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    10-27-15 04:12 PM

Reading your posts always make me feel better... especially since I just bought in today with you... nowhere near your 10,000, but I'm not that privileged lol :-)

Thanks for all your contributions. I've lurked this thread for a while now and give you much respect!

Posted via CB10
    La Emperor, CDM76, 3MIKE and 3 others like this.
    10-27-15 04:21 PM
    Reading your posts always make me feel better... especially since I just bought in today with you... nowhere near your 10,000, but I'm not that privileged lol :-)

Thanks for all your contributions. I've lurked this thread for a while now and give you much respect!

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for that. I have been building my position in BBRY for a month now and like it around these levels. The chart looks like this:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-bb-oct-27-2015.png

Yesterday was the first time since August that we have tried to breakout of the blue downtrend line. It looked good for about one hour yesterday, and then it became apparent that the volume wasn't there to hang onto the bullish gains and we dropped back below the $ 7.40/shr level. When you fail on a TA level you usually have to retrace your rally and find support again before taking another run at the pivotal number. That's all I'm seeing today, a typical retrenchment to support at $ 7.00 for another base to bounce from. If this is true, we should be up tomorrow so I added to my position.

We aren't hearing from BlackBerry, the stock has been on a good run, it makes sense to stop here and base out before we head into the Priv launch. We'll see. Apple had okay numbers, nothing that would compel anyone to buy the stock here, but nothing that should shed poor light on the sector as a whole. With that behind us, let's hope we stop the downside and start rallying toward $ 7.40/shr again. GL

PS., I believe that BlackBerry does have a special relationship with ShopBB, they seem to have first mover support from the company on all of the BB product line. Because of that, I think they are the only seller of BB products that will be able to add to this Q's revenues. JMO
    RLTurn77, lech31, 3MIKE and 11 others like this.
    10-27-15 05:00 PM
    Twitter:
    3MIKE, Mr BBRY, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    10-27-15 10:20 PM
106,046 ... 36403641364236433644 ...