Voters
1110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

694 62.52%
  • No

416 37.48%
    What would we do without you, Morgan?

Thanks!
    Thanks Corbu, but that's exactly how I feel about you!

There are plenty of great messages post Q2 here, I will address some of them soon including an OT. I might as well start right now.

I never did get the AdHoc acquisition, I didn't care much about it and thought it was a minor cost factor. They closed the deal this past week so those numbers are all in Q3 now. Perhaps Corbu can dig up some more info on why BlackBerry went after it and how their numbers look? On the surface it looks as though they paid too much but we could have said that about WatchDox and you would be wrong to think that wasn't a great acquisition on every level.

I made a point about Quarter to Quarter versus Year to Year number comparisons. We will drop prior bad numbers ( is it 5 years worth of bad numbers?) from Y to Y data in two more quarters meaning that we will see positive Y to Y and Q to Q and that will take away all of the bad press left for BlackBerry. I will add that Funds purchase looking at least 6 months out and by then, the data will be very positive. Couple this with 500,000 PRIV unit sales in Q4 and we might have some exciting times ahead.

We need to hear from all of the analysts and see where their targets are especially since we are at historic lows for valuation based on 6 MM fewer shares and more cash on hand.
    Corbu, OlympusMons, lech31 and 7 others like this.
    09-26-15 09:46 AM
    BlackBerry Has to Crack Android?s Code - WSJ

Unlike the scene outside Apple stores Friday, fans no longer line up to buy BlackBerry smartphones. But the company can’t afford to ignore the business it once ruled.

That much was evident Friday when the company confirmed—after months of leaks—that it is building a handset to run on Google’s Android operating system. The device will feature BlackBerry’s iconic physical keyboard and will launch later this year.

Android powers about 80% of smartphones sold versus less than 1% for BlackBerry’s own operating system, according to IDC. Given that, such a move seems long overdue.

BlackBerry has been working to diversify itself from dependence on its own shrinking platform by building a software business that can work with Android and Apple’s iOS operating systems, too.

But the transition has been slow, and handset sales still account for more than 40% of BlackBerry’s total revenue. So, try as it might, hardware will be a key part of BlackBerry’s business for the foreseeable future.

And that business has been struggling. BlackBerry recognized revenue on about 800,000 devices sold during the fiscal second quarter ended Aug. 29, down 62% year over year. So even if an Android device only helps a little, BlackBerry needs all the help it can get.

Still, that won’t diminish the company’s need to build up its software business quickly, which has proven a tougher code to crack. Software revenue was only $74 million in the most recent quarter, below expectations.

BlackBerry stuck to its goal of $500 million in revenue from this category for the full year that ends in February, but hitting that target will require acceleration in the year’s second half. That could make selling a new phone look easy by comparison.
    We may not like the move as BB10 fans but as shareholders, I think we may come to like it...
    09-26-15 09:48 AM
    Interesting to know.. MOBL is trading at 3.19 USD or 250 mio market cap..

Posted via CB10
    ... which means BlackBerry can take them out at a premium and still maintain Chens minimum $2.5B cash requirement, while incurring a growing opex. I say go for it and own the space.

I second dimi's other comment. I'm dying to hear from Morgan. I picked up two large blocks today and have hit a new high in share volume owned. How do you expect BBRY to trade for the remainder of the year?

Also if you have time to touch on what's happening with the biotech sector, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I got absolutely crushed this week and don't know how more pain I can take in this market. I believe we blew past the lows incurred on "black Monday" 4-5 weeks ago after yesterday's crash. Is it possible that the bottom is in yet?

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    If Chen buys MOBL I hope when he gets interviewed he uses the line "This party is just getting started" and gives that sly grin to all of us in Crackberry land.

Posted via CB10
    I advocated MOBL acquisition a few weeks (months ?) ago when their SP took the first dive in/under the 5s.
    But I believe Chen gave us the key as why it didn't happen : their customer base are overlapping too much to be a relevant move.
    What they've done with Good Technologies is that they entered markets where they were less relevant. And we know these markets tend to adopt solutions as "standards"; you won't be blamed V.S others if it fails : everybody is exposed the same way. Every customer is the best advocate for the solution; either new or loyal ("1+1=3").
    Good also added those markets specialized "containerized apps", especially for iOS.
    When I look in the mirror, I can clearly see me Armchair CEO in action : good idea, lack of vision ... hehe; that's a job for brilliant people, you know
    Corbu, lech31, La Emperor and 7 others like this.
    09-26-15 09:59 AM
    They have started already with title like such!

BlackBerry devices future rides on fortunes of new Android phone-CEO (Thomson Reuters)
    Superfly_FR, awindsr and 3MIKE like this.
    09-26-15 10:03 AM
    Indeed, SF!

To quote from JC:

I need to clarify two misperceptions from reading the research notes from our Good announcement. The first deals with the degrees of product overlap with us between BlackBerry and Good. The second is on opportunity for our cost synergy. So I'll take the first one first. BlackBerry and Good have strength in non-overlapping areas. This is one of the major reasons why this acquisition is so attractive to us. BlackBerry is strong in cost platform in the end and a lot of the value added surface, as you know. We also have a growing base of Android users to go with our BB10 base, as well as the BBOS base. Good is good mobile apps management and bringing a larger benefit of IOS users and I believe they are 64% of their licenses on IOS. And we share a common heritage in privacy and security. Combined, we will have the broadest and the deepest platform in the EMM space.
    As for MOBL, I believe they will be left to die a slow death...
    09-26-15 10:07 AM
    What would we do without you, Morgan?
    Thanks!
    +1000
    This literally brighten my day, Morgan.
    b121, Corbu, La Emperor and 7 others like this.
    09-26-15 10:10 AM
    I never did get the AdHoc acquisition, I didn't care much about it and thought it was a minor cost factor..
    Thanks for all of your insights Morgan!

Re:AdHoc... It could round out their services and there appears to be synergies each party gets focused on secure communications. Fyi...Below is an article that discusses it in more detail.

http://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry-...ts-firm-athoc/

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    Corbu, La Emperor, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    09-26-15 10:14 AM
    We may not like the move as BB10 fans but as shareholders, I think we may come to like it...
    Some "hugs & pills" would help though
    rarsen, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    09-26-15 10:24 AM
    If Chen buys MOBL I hope when he gets interviewed he uses the line "This party is just getting started" and gives that sly grin to all of us in Crackberry land.

Posted via CB10
    Chen's earlier statement regarding the likes of MOBL and others was "...I am ending their party".

But perhaps if we put your quote and Chen's together, we have something that works:
    'I am ending their party, but ours is just getting started!'

)
    Safe weekend gents!
    09-26-15 10:39 AM
    ... which means BlackBerry can take them out at a premium and still maintain Chens minimum $2.5B cash requirement, while incurring a growing opex. I say go for it and own the space.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    I think the two big things to consider though are that BlackBerry has to watch fragmentation and flow (no pun intended) when acquiring all these companies. Look at HP for example. They own half the world of computing, yet they are plagued with the task of putting all the acquisitions together into one working unit, while having to currently drop over 55,000 employees from the books!

The other consideration is that BlackBerry has to be able to satisfy the existing clients of the acquired companies, which may not like the direction of the acquisition.

It does seem like an easy grab though. Just not sure if BlackBerry should jump, or let the cabbage rot on the deck so that it eliminates them all together. A bigger question for me would be who would want them if BlackBerry passed on the oportunity?
    b121, morganplus8, 3MIKE and 2 others like this.
    09-26-15 10:49 AM
    If EMM will be provided for free, a big part of the revenue of BlackBerry, GOOD and MobileIron is about to disappear.

BlackBerry is trying to generate value from services and goods sold at cost or under the cost:
    Operating systems: QNX, BB10.
    EMM.
    BBM.
    Smartphone hardware.

The turnaround depends on developing profitable services on top of those platforms and acquisitions should pursue that goal. If BlackBerry fails to do that, most of its assets won't have much value.
    09-26-15 10:56 AM
    Mr BBRY !!

Thanks to everyone for calling me out on this Q, I have been working on a property of ours at the lake and missed the Friday event all together. I followed this thread on my Passport but there was little time to comment yesterday. ..
    I reckon that you have more likes than Superman.
    Glad to hear that your are keeping healthy and living life mate!

PS- Shoot us some OT pictures of the cabby-on-the-lake when you get done.
    Corbu, Superfly_FR, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    09-26-15 11:03 AM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    They have started already with title like such!

BlackBerry devices future rides on fortunes of new Android phone-CEO (Thomson Reuters)
    Sounds about right.... this will be BlackBerry 's flagship phone and available on all major US carriers... it's got to be flawless on day one, and marketed..... risky but bold move for Chen and I like it as a shareholder...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by world traveler and former ceo; 09-26-15 at 11:43 AM.
    09-26-15 11:31 AM
    Hey, have a nice weekend gang !
    Leaving all screens alone for a break

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares]-capture.png
    09-26-15 11:44 AM
    OT but IoT related.

IBM Launches Two New Businesses (incl. IoT)

http://m.nasdaq.com/article/ibm-laun...esses-cm524218

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30 -> Classic)
    09-26-15 11:55 AM
    Now that the dust has settled on the Android Priv announcement (no BB10 version) the Thomson Reuters statement holds true based on the statement JC made about selling about 8-10M devices a year for the mobile phone hardware division to be profitable assuming the costs are equal for an Android OS vs. a BB10 OS.

There is no doubt we will see quite a few BB users finally giving in and fragmenting BlackBerry's hardware even further.

So this begs the question: How realistic is it that they will sell 8-10 million devices a year as we know device sales of BB10 will go down from here on out. I have always believed this would not be a problem for BlackBerry given the massive Android base they can tap into. In reality if BlackBerry does not find a pulse with the market with the Priv, the mobile phone division cannot survive as we know it.

I always look on the bright side of life, its just the way I was made but I cannot help but think this IS the last chance for BlackBerry to be successful in this market vertical. Hope springs eternal for me as always.

Cheers all,

Ben
    Last edited by bigbadben10; 09-26-15 at 01:36 PM.
    09-26-15 12:16 PM
    I think Priv will sell well enough. Few million people that want Android + BlackBerry keyboard.

And then it'd be time to produce a full touch and Passport Android.

I think over next 12 months, we can easily do a million devices per month (between Android Slider, Android Passport and Android Touch)

I think Priv and Passport Android will sell better than Android Touch simply because Priv and Passport have significant differentiation (keyboard, unconventional form factor). The BlackBerry Android Touch would have to compete with Galaxy, One+One and so on.

Maybe around 1.2m/month for Priv and Passport
    Around 800k/month for touch.

Roughly 12-15M devices in next 12 months.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 09-26-15 at 12:49 PM.
    09-26-15 12:39 PM
    Please don't mess with MY Passport !
    (and I'm out ...)

... but I seriously consider a cure !
    Corbu, rarsen and bbjdog like this.
    09-26-15 12:49 PM
    If EMM will be provided for free, a big part of the revenue of BlackBerry, GOOD and MobileIron is about to disappear.

BlackBerry is trying to generate value from services and goods sold at cost or under the cost:
    Operating systems: QNX, BB10.
    EMM.
    BBM.
    Smartphone hardware.

The turnaround depends on developing profitable services on top of those platforms and acquisitions should pursue that goal. If BlackBerry fails to do that, most of its assets won't have much value.
    A lot of EMM was already made free years ago when MSFT introduced Exchange Active Sync (EAS). That's why BlackBerry had to retreat and target large corporations, governments and regulated industries. They are the only customers who would pay for EMM services. Everyone else can make do with either free email or on premises Exchange/Domino with EAS.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, rarsen and 3MIKE like this.
    09-26-15 02:39 PM
    Sounds about right.... this will be BlackBerry 's flagship phone and available on all major US carriers... it's got to be flawless on day one, and marketed..... risky but bold move for Chen and I like it as a shareholder...

Posted via CB10
    Wrote something long, but deleted the whole thesis. Instead I will only say that I still have faith in John Chen! Take that for what it's worth.
    morganplus8, Corbu, rarsen and 4 others like this.
    09-26-15 03:19 PM
    Is the BlackBerry Priv a white flag for BlackBerry's hardware business? - Cantech Letter

BlackBerry CEO John Chen showed off the BlackBerry Priv, the company’s first android-powered phone, to BNN’s Amber Kanwar Friday in Waterloo.

The Priv, a device that has been referred to by the rumour mill as the BlackBerry Venice, runs Android Lollipop 5.1.1., has a curved screen, and a slider keyboard.

In talking to Kanwar about the phone, Chen seemed to acknowledge that the company’s current operating system, BlackBerry 10, may in fact be damaged goods.

“Is this the phone that’s going to bring back the BlackBerry user that abandoned because they needed a different operating system?” asked Kanwar.

Chen, who like his predecessor Thorsten Heins, has never really been good at generating excitement in product demos, admitted to a vital disconnect in the OS that he could not bridge.

“I think that everybody loved the BlackBerry 10, they really do. But there’s not enough apps,” said Chen. “If I could provide all the apps to BlackBerry 10 that would be a smashing success. Unfortunately, I can’t put the two together for all the practical reasons, and logistic and financial reasons, so this is the best thing that we could do.”

Unlike Heins, Chen has proved a deft operator who is unsentimental about the Canadian company’s legacy in hardware. Instead, he has staked BlackBerry’s future in security; applying the company’s famous expertise in the area to Mobile Device Management, Enterprise Device Management and, increasingly, in the Internet of Things Space.

It’s a move Cormark analyst Richard Tse has been tracking closely. Tse thinks Chen is already over hardware.

“From an earnings perspective, we estimate Hardware contributes next to nothing to BlackBerry’s bottom line,” said Tse in a preview of BlackBerry’s second quarter for clients. “It is all about software and on that point, it is pretty clear where all that investment is going even with a buzz of one-off devices like the Venice that are designed to keep a conduit for the brand from a legacy sub base perspective. No clearer is that shift to software more apparent than in the company’s acquisitions – Movirtu, Secusmart, WatchDox, AtHoc and Good (pending) which all have been software related.”

Chen hasn’t publicly admitted that BlackBerry has raised the white flag in hardware, but he has dropped hints.

In a recent interview with Bloomberg, Chen said he sees a day when the company could stop making smartphones, and that it would never again to compete at the low end of the market.

“It’ll be a high-end phone that you can walk into AT&T and get it, as a professional,” he said. It’s hard to compete with Chinese and Indian manufacturers for the lower end of the market. The low-end phone is not BlackBerry’s sweet spot.”

Yesterday, BlackBerry reported its Q2, 2016 results. The company posted a Non-GAAP loss of $66-million, or 13 cents per share on revenue of $490 million, down sharply from the $916 million topline the company posted in the same period last year. The revenue mix came in an 43% for service access fees, 41% for hardware, and 15% for software and services.

“I am confident in our strategy and continued progress, highlighted by our fourth consecutive quarter of year-over-year double-digit growth in software licensing revenue and sixth consecutive quarter of positive free cash flow,” said Chen. “In order to expand our leadership in cross-platform software and services, we are investing strategically — organically through new products and services based on the BES platform, and through acquisitions like AtHoc and Good.”

While Chen gave lip service to the Priv in the same press release yesterday, it’s clear that selling smartphones simply isn’t the business it was five, or even two, years ago. Worldwide, smartphone prices are plunging and margins are getting crunched for everyone not named Apple. Apple’s average sell price for a phone without a wireless contract is actually rising, nearing $700 recently. But everyone else is falling; the average selling price for Android phones is $254. For BlackBerry, it’s even lower, at $240.

It won’t take Chen long to figure out there are better opportunities elsewhere, if he hasn’t already done so.
    bbjdog, rarsen, awindsr and 2 others like this.
    09-26-15 04:27 PM
    Can't read anymore my friend! I just slammed my crystal ball on the floor and it's in pieces. Lol

Ot: I really do feel for BlackBerry employees!
    Corbu, rarsen, 3MIKE and 1 others like this.
    09-26-15 06:32 PM
    09-26-15 08:02 PM
    09-26-15 08:38 PM
    Blackberry CEO John Chen awkwardly showcases the Blackberry Priv
    Whether or not this will work for the one-time mobile giant is yet to be determined, but so far the Priv looks pretty smooth even in the most un-smooth of hands.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-26-15 09:50 PM
106,800 ... 35773578357935803581 ...